• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else think that Relapse is underrated? Lyrically brilliant, and his flow is better than ever. Plus some of Dre's best production in awhile.

Only problems are the subject matter, and that "accent".

This is how it starts.

"Anyone think Kingdom Come is underrated? Lyrically impressive, subject matter that becomes more and more relevant as you get older. I'm tired of young hip hop, I need that 401k hip hop in my life"

"Does anyone think Universal Mind Control is underrated? In many ways it is the precursor to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The lyrics aren't great but it's all about the feel"

PBY

Banned
Does anyone else think that Relapse is underrated? Lyrically brilliant, and his flow is better than ever. Plus some of Dre's best production in awhile.

Yeah I actually liked relapse a lot when it came out- rhymes were good, but those beats were amazing

LegoArmo

This is how it starts.

"Anyone think Kingdom Come is underrated? Lyrically impressive, subject matter that becomes more and more relevant as you get older. I'm tired of young hip hop, I need that 401k hip hop in my life"

"Does anyone think Universal Mind Control is underrated? In many ways it is the precursor to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The lyrics aren't great but it's all about the feel"

I hope not, after Finding Forever, UMC was one of the most disappointing albums ever, and I don't think anything could make me like modern Jay-Z.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I always think Kingdom Come is underrated and then I go back and listen to it and put it down for another year.

Beach Chair... SMH.

...SMH.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
you didnt like beach chair?
Nope. Too fruity for its own good. Significant of the moment Jay stepped into the shadow of his protege.

Album has a bunch of salvageable songs though, Lost Ones, Kingdom Come, Trouble for the beat, etc. but is indescribably disappointing.

The weird accent really hurt what could've been a high ranking Eminem album. His rhyme schemes and flow were in top form, and I thought Dre did work with his production, but the accent man, the accent.

Then he lost the accent on Recovery but wouldn't stop screaming.

Then he became self aware about the screaming on Hell: The Sequel, and I have higher hopes for his next solo release.

new bronsonelli today, dudes been all fucked up tweeting random shit.

Action Bronson- A Simple Man

Tommy Mas produced Bronson is best Bronson.

goodfella

I like it when someone comes out with an album that has a consistent concept.

RJT

Nope. Too fruity for its own good. Significant of the moment Jay stepped into the shadow of his protege.

Album has a bunch of salvageable songs though, Lost Ones, Kingdom Come, Trouble for the beat, etc. but is indescribably disappointing.

Lost Ones and Kingdom Come are amazing, and I would add "Show Me What You Got" to the list of salvageable songs. I love how even the worst Jay albums have some great songs. He's the best at making hit singles, without a doubt.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Production on Relapse was phenomenal, but Eminem shit the bed big time. It wasn't just the accent, lyrically it was often appallingly bad. His gimmick of rhyming one word for every verse meant many of the lines were forced and subpar (if you don't know what I mean go listen to Insane, notice every line of the first verse rhymes with head, every line in the second rhymes with face off (or close to it) and every line the third rhymes with belching). It sounded like someone doing a mediocre Eminem impression. Em was quite a bit better on Recovery but the production was far less interesting. And it gave us Love the way you lie, so fuck recovery to death.

Macca

W.T.P. is the kind of shit I wanna hear from Em. I thought he killed that song, great beat too.

One of the tracks he's not screaming either.

Tokubetsu

Yep. Really don't go back to much off Recovery except that, Talking 2 Myself and You're Never Over.

itRveiJAWd91O.gif

EDIT: I just listened to both track again, and you know, I can kinda understand someone liking Talking 2 Myself but that's a good joke about You're Never Over Macca. I refuse to believe there are people, human beings on this planet that like "You're Never Over." REFUSE. So, I'm just gonna continue posting in this thread, enjoying you as a person, pretending like you never typed that.

Tokubetsu

I mean, really? "You're Never Over"? Not "Cinderalla Man" or "25 To Life"? We're really trying to pick the least shittiest out of a shit album but still. I don't think I can let this go Macca. You just rocked my world. I don't know what to do. How can we go forward? I...I don't think we can. I'm sorry.

Macca

I mean, really? "You're Never Over"? Not "Cinderalla Man" or "25 To Life"? We're really trying to pick the least shittiest out of a shit album but still. I don't think I can let this go Macca. You just rocked my world. I don't know what to do. How can we go forward? I...I don't think we can. I'm sorry.
Haha. I liked Cinderella man, I just didn't really go back to it.

Album never really clicked for me. I'd just broken up with a chick when it released, and it just wasn't the shit I was looking for. So it just kinda got stuck in that time period.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
When the love is gone. Move on.

siddx

Cold Wind Blows and Almost Famous ended up being the only tracks I still listened to after a week. You're never over and Not Afraid may be two of the worst songs he's ever done.

Kaizer

Banned
Won't Back Down was added to my workout playlist, other than that I don't really go back much to Relapse or Recovery. Relapse had much better production, but Em was more interesting on Recovery. I remember playing 3 AM like a dozen times when it dropped.

//B1G

Banned
damn, i guess i really didn't know SGP was trying this hard to bring memphis back... it's like his whole sound. i thought he was just this producer that did some dark-type shit, but he samples a lot of three 6 and shit.
here's late nite tip reworked:
pheel tha phonk though i bet you fans have already heard this shit before

daaamn this goes hard!
Rath of a Raider
some fucking prime samples in that beat

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Relapse is one of the few albums which I overrated in retrospect. I still like many of the songs on it though.

Cold Wind Blows is great, and Talking to Myself is one of the best Em songs in god knows how long.

overcast

Relapse is one of the few albums which I overrated in retrospect. I still like many of the songs on it though.

Cold Wind Blows is great, and Talking to Myself is one of the best Em songs in god knows how long.
I was just going to say that. I liked it a lot at first, but it's nothing special really.

Recovery sucks and Relapse is laughable. Average production, bad hooks, and a bunch of scream rapping. You can tell Em has been hanging out with Slaughterhouse too much: his similes are atrocious on the album

kamspy

Fucking wake up. log on gaf hop and find you fuckers debating which piece of shit is crustier.

Par for the course I guess, I just feel so left out when you guys start waxing poetic on Eminem. It's like a running joke I'm left out of or something.

Video unrelated. http://youtu.be/P_uHGt8SEcE

siddx

I know it's just more attentioning whoring bullshit but a part of me wants to believe so badly that Nicki really will retire on some Lupe Pouting Like A Bitch shit.

And damn I didn't know Yelawolf Ruptured his spleen last month, good to see he's back up and on tour though, and that he's already working on his new album.

Macca

I know it's just more attentioning whoring bullshit but a part of me wants to believe so badly that Nicki really will retire on some Lupe Pouting Like A Bitch shit.

And damn I didn't know Yelawolf Ruptured his spleen last month, good to see he's back up and on tour though, and that he's already working on his new album.
Did you see the title of it?

Detox

Em's subject matter in his early and best stuff makes me question whether he can ever emulate that again. I'm specifically talking about the white trash, family stuff he did. I pretty much buy Em albums for his technical skill nowadays which recently has been less than stellar.

Macca

If I prejudged albums based on titles, I would only own about 3 hip hop albums.
Dude just seems like he's in a totally different place now from when the Trunk Musik tapes came out. Which I mean, I can't hate on, but I really don't have much hope based on the shit that's come out between now and the album.

I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong though. Yelawolf is definitely one of my favourite artists.

kamspy

Me and HRD just saw him last week.

All he played was Trunk Muzik and the good tracks off Radioactive. His head seems to be in the right place if he's not even performing the songs everyone knows are garbage.

Macca

Me and HRD just saw him last week.

All he played was Trunk Muzik and the good tracks off Radioactive. His head seems to be in the right place if he's not even performing the songs everyone knows are garbage.

That's awesome.

I mean, it could always be worse. I could be a Lupe fan.

siddx

He will never be that Em again. That Em was drunk and high 24/7 and dealing with being the first white rapper since Vanilla Ice to make it big. Not to mention going from poor white trash to rich as a god and able to stick his dick in everything with a pussy. The pure chaos in his life is what made his music so great. Now he's just a sober middle aged father. He wants for nothing and his removed the chaos from his life. He's boring. I was salty as fuck about it for a while because his first 2 albums were a huge part of my high school life and I would love more from that Em, but on a non selfish level, I'm glad his in a stable place and if that means I don't get interesting em than so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom