• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

First name? Des

Where'd you get your username? I'm an ex-photographer, but now it still applies given that I write screenplays I guess

Age? 24

Where do you live? Cincinnati

Where are you from? Cincinnati

How'd you end up where you are? Born and captured unfortunately

First Hip Hop Album? My paps gave me Vol. 1 when I was super little, but the first one I bought myself was Ironman

Top 5 movies? Love Exopsure, That Obscure Object of Desire, Senso, Out of the Past, Dancer in the Dark

Top 5 Video games?
SF2HF, Grandia, Shenmue, GTA: Vice City, and Oblivion

What did you read last? 120 Days of Sodom

What did you watch last? Cross Counter Live

Favorite non hip hop album? Bjork's Vespertine

Favorite Drink? Grand Marnier with a hint of OJ, on rocks

Play any sports? JV point guard, baseball (shortstop, 2nd base)

How was your high school life? Popular guy that still got no play

Bad habits? Booze and the internet

Employment? Thrift store lackee, aspiring screenwriter

Hobbies? Video Games, Reading, Writing, Music, Drinking, Getting rejected by women

If you could slap one artist in the face with a sock filled with quarters? Juelz Santana (so much wasted potential)

Why'd you end up on gaf? Used to see stuff reposted on Gamespot's GGD, so I finally decided I wanted to get closer to the source

Other threads you frequent? Movie threads, any music thread, MMA sometimes, headphone thread

Threads you avoid like the plague? Political threads or any thread where I can anticipate a Devo rant incoming.

Most significant hip hop album to you (note not best or greatest, just most significant)? Kool G Rap's 4,5,6

Best thing about hip hop? It just might possibly be THE most versatile genre of all, and it's by far the hippest.

Worst thing?
Mislabeling and the misappropriation of mainstream rap to the entire genre

Shittiest thing you've ever done? Letting my lack of self-esteem and immense insecurities contribute to a streak of underachieving.

//B1G

Banned
alright dude... shit. sorry i can't keep up with a thread that has 5 new pages every time i come back.
there were like three dudes last page that said they hadn't even heard of the guy, so the novelty was still there in my eyes.

MY BAD NEOGAF, MY BAD.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yo that new Wayne is good. Refreshing. Sounds like old Wayne.

GAF, there has been so much shit posted in the past 3 days, what are the must-listens or the cream of the crop? Need something to spin tomorrow. Apollo Brown?

Esch

Banned
First name?Kavi

Where'd you get your username?eschatology. google it

Age? 22

Where do you live? Memphis

Where are you from? Saint Louis

How'd you end up where you are? College.

First Hip Hop Album? Liquid Swords. Mein gott!

Top 5 movies? The Good the Bad the Ugly, Great Escape, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Empire Strikes Back, Yojimbo

Top 5 Video games?
Half Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 2, Golden Sun 2, Warcraft III, Dark Cloud 2

What did you read last? Capitalism and Freedom

What did you watch last? Five Deadly Weapons

Favorite non hip hop album? Aphex Twin- Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Favorite Drink? Scotch and a little water. Preferably some Islay single malt. They're all special.

Play any sports? JV point guard, baseball (shortstop, 2nd base)

How was your high school life? Sports, fights, homework, and drunkenness

Bad habits? Booze and the Internet.

Employment? Bio/Poli sci double major, Stat Crew manager, aspiring physician

Hobbies? Kungfu, specifically Xingyiquan, Baguazhang, and especially Bajiquan. Love going out, volunteer occasionally, and i love cooking as well,

If you could slap one artist in the face with a sock filled with quarters? Blu. Fucking useless asshole.

Why'd you end up on gaf? Saw the light on GameFAQs like 80% of the GAF userbase.

Other threads you frequent? Anything that catches my attention really.

Threads you avoid like the plague? Anything where I can expect a Devolution response for me as well.

Most significant hip hop album to you (note not best or greatest, just most significant)? Kool G Rap's 4,5,6 good call des.

Best thing about hip hop? It can really work for any mood you have or any purpose you want it to. Thats the beauty of it. I hate the douchebags who are always saying "this isnt hip hop its rap".

Worst thing?
Focusing on demographics over music sometimes. I also hate the 14 year old white girl lane so much. Cole, Lupe, Wayne, Drake, Wale, BoB, Eminem, all that shit is so bland and transparent. get outta here with that.

Shittiest thing you've ever done? Too many to count or tier.

CRS

Yo that new Wayne is good. Refreshing. Sounds like old Wayne.

GAF, there has been so much shit posted in the past 3 days, what are the must-listens or the cream of the crop? Need something to spin tomorrow. Apollo Brown?

Lushlife.

Exactly, you said it better of course but thats why the push for gangsta shit is known fact. Shit was selling, so of course Labels/Radio wanted more of it.

Another thing worth noting is how hard it was to break out back then, as opposed to now when anyone can record music on their iMac and post it on a blog. There was a limited number of roster spots, and labels were looking to make money. Puffy, Dame, Steve Stout, Russel Simmons etc were all looking for hard dudes who could sell records, preferably to white kids as well as black kids.

Remember all the shit Kanye went through when he first signed to the Roc? "Ohhh he's a backpacker, he ain't gonna sell shit. Nobody want to hear that white shit. He's gay." That was coming from black people, not white people. I remember being in high school and dudes were fronting on Kanye like he wasn't hot, but they had his CD hidden in their backpack.

Now today everyone is basically following Kanye's blueprint

PBY

Banned
COVER-VOL2-LO-RES.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?3b5yse7wmt19otc

^This is so swagged out and it BUMPS... and no one dled.

DominoKid

i like what Death Grips are going for on this album...but it falls short in execution. too abrasive
reminds me of Shabazz in ambitiousness, but Shabazz pulled off artsy rap w/o sacrificing musical balance.

Tokubetsu

i like what Death Grips are going for on this album...but it falls short in execution. too abrasive
reminds me of Shabazz in ambitiousness, but Shabazz pulled off artsy rap w/o sacrificing musical balance.

That's kind the whole point of Death Grips though, being rough and abrasive.

HiResDes

Dalek's nihilism is contained within it's sonic distortion and bleak direct social commentary. The rapping is much more traditional though the music is similarly experimental, yet less synthy overall compared to Death Grips. And more importantly the topics are much more overtly dense.

Death Grips features Zach Hill at his most eccentric, and a MC whose persona is so explicitly aggressive and excessively enraged that the things he says should not taken at face value. Death Grips social commentary comes mostly from satire. He always yelling as much as he is rapping, he'd be just as home on an eccentric experimental post-hardcore act as he is in Death Grips. He makes nonsensical pop culture references and gives glimpses of his true intelligence, but for the most part he stays within this insane persona.

kamspy

Alright, we're still at zero units sold. No where to go but up from here. Only 4 sales away from outselling Common's Dreamer/Believer. So that's not too bad.

Tokubetsu

just because that's what DG are going for doesn't mean i have to like it though.

I'm not saying you should, but asking for them to be something they're not trying to be is stupid, which is kinda what you were saying. Totally different approach than like Shabazz Palaces (which you brought up).

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Another thing worth noting is how hard it was to break out back then, as opposed to now when anyone can record music on their iMac and post it on a blog. There was a limited number of roster spots, and labels were looking to make money. Puffy, Dame, Steve Stout, Russel Simmons etc were all looking for hard dudes who could sell records, preferably to white kids as well as black kids.

Remember all the shit Kanye went through when he first signed to the Roc? "Ohhh he's a backpacker, he ain't gonna sell shit. Nobody want to hear that white shit. He's gay." That was coming from black people, not white people. I remember being in high school and dudes were fronting on Kanye like he wasn't hot, but they had his CD hidden in their backpack.

Now today everyone is basically following Kanye's blueprint

Pretty sure Ye started following other people's blueprints to get paid..

kamspy

Kanye

ain't gonna front. I give him shit, but when I broke it down to the simple question in my header, the answer came you Kanye. Kendrick was a close second. Theraflu beats The Recipe, so that's how I decided it. Danny Brown was up there, but then I remembered Black and Brown.

Doesn't mean it's your favorite rapper, cuz Kanye sure as hell isn't mine, but who's album would you get in your hand tonight if you met a magical bootleg selling hooker?

cdyhybrid

Kanye

ain't gonna front. I give him shit, but when I broke it down to the simple question in my header, the answer came you Kanye. Kendrick was a close second. Theraflu beats The Recipe, so that's how I decided it. Danny Brown was up there, but then I remembered Black and Brown.

Doesn't mean it's your favorite rapper, cuz Kanye sure as hell isn't mine, but who's album would you get in your hand tonight if you met a magical bootleg selling hooker?

Dr. Dre.

Should probably be disqualified, though.

DominoKid

Kanye

The YOLO mixtape thing from Drake and Ross. Either that or GhostDOOM.
I don't expect it to happen, so if I could choose I'd pick something I wasn't sure would happen.

Esch

Banned
All the real folks would want GhostDoom on wax in front of them. 2012 Kanye can autofellate himself up a wall.

or the GZA. I miss the GZA.

SoilBreak

Banned
Kanye

Right now, it would be Country Cousins with Yelawolf and Big K.R.I.T.

kamspy

nah, its a soulless amalgamation of southern tropes and desperate attempts to coin catchphrases and memes helped by a dumbfuck stanbase.

thats just me doe.

The stans are the reason I don't share my high opinion of him very often. I'm not some KTT dude who is bidding on a vial of his sweat on ebay and making a mixtape about drinking it (I see you peterboy;)

He does cocky really well. I like it. Go back to his verse on Take One For The Team. That's a real gem. As a well known connoisseur of swag, trap and crunk rap, I welcome Yeezy to team "We're Havin Fun". It's chill over here.

RJT

El-P's production on his album is amazing. Probably puts it on my top10 of the year after the first listen.

How's Killer Mike rapping? I actually never heard him outside of a few features, so I don't know what to expect from a full album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
nah, its a soulless amalgamation of southern tropes and desperate attempts to coin catchphrases and memes helped by a dumbfuck stanbase.

thats just me doe.
Definitely just you. Probably would be less inclined if you listened to more than NiP.

Ignorant Ye is far from best Ye though.

Detox

I have to admit the Jeezy train completely bypassed me, I don't think he ever really made it in England. Anyway I've been listening to his shit for the past few days and I'm fiending for more, any other rappers out there with a similar style? I don't want no second rate Jeezy I need the whole shabang the ay's, jeah's, yeah's and haha's. Does he have any mixtapes?

kodecraft

I have to admit the Jeezy train completely bypassed me, I don't think he ever really made it in England. Anyway I've been listening to his shit for the past few days and I'm fiending for more, any other rappers out there with a similar style? I don't want no second rate Jeezy I need the whole shabang the ay's, jeah's, yeah's and haha's. Does he have any mixtapes?

Who else would have that style without being a blatant copy of jeezy then? Thats what set Jeezy apart, plus its all "trap muzik" you would be satisfied with other artist that make that type of music if your "fiending" for more jezzy type ish.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Great question about which album would you buy if you could choose from the magical bootleg hooker. I kinda wanna say that mooted Ghostface Killah and MF DOOM Swift And Changeable album or a proper sequel to Madvillainy but fuck it, I think I would roll out of there with Big Boi's follow up to Sir Luscious Leftfoot. Was really impressed with Sir Luscious and who knows, maybe Big Boi has heard about what K.R.I.T. has been doing and will tap him up for some tracks. Damn that would be sick.

I would have thought that Gucci Mane is probably the closest stylistically to what Jeezy does. Also Young Jeezy has a whole bunch of mixtapes like Trap Or Die 1 and 2, The Real Is Back, Can't Ban The Snowman and like 4 albums and that stuff can all be found pretty easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom