• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

In other words after this mixtape drops, competitors will have to go back to the drawing board, make sense now?
Kind of agree. KRIT has been pretty much redefining the mixtape recently with all this amazingly high quality free music.

PBY

Banned
No, it does not.

4eva n a Day. Better than R4. Calling it. Mixtape of the Eva.

I can't compare it like that with R4- They kinda have different directions, I think R4 went for a more bump in da truck vibe, while this is more chilled out. They compliment each other perfectly though, my hype for the album couldn't be higher.

Jay Sosa

I can't compare it like that with R4- They kinda have different directions, I think R4 went for a more bump in da truck vibe, while this is more chilled out. They compliment each other perfectly though, my hype for the album couldn't be higher.

?

R4 was very chill compared to kwh.

Macca

R4 seemed to have too many tracks in my opinion. But it's fucking amazing how well this, R4 and Wuz Here go together. If he somehow pulls all these together for his album. Damn.

DominoKid

In other words after this mixtape drops, competitors will have to go back to the drawing board, make sense now?

You're really overestimating his popularity then.
I like KRIT but he's not gonna have the game sweating like that.

This aint a Section80 where you had fans, critics AND artists alike basically jerking it to the album.

KRIT is maintaining with this mixtape. Not stepping up.

Macca

You're really overestimating his popularity then.
I like KRIT but he's not gonna have the game sweating like that.

This aint a Section80 where you had fans, critics AND artists alike basically jerking it to the album.
It's only just come out. I don't see where you can draw that from. R4 was really well recieved as was Wuz Here.

Plus, Section80 was an album, these are just mixtapes, released free. I don't see how you can say Section80 changed the game at all.

Did we ever tally the votes for AOTY and other awards for 2011?

Sure did.

Jay Sosa

And deservingly so.

Amazing tape so far (track 6) and my expectations were extremely high. I will never get tired of chopped and screwed hooks if done right.

DominoKid

dont get me wrong Sosa, Section80 was in my top 10 last year. im just describing the response as i saw it.

It's only just come out. I don't see where you can draw that from. R4 was really well recieved as was Wuz Here.

Plus, Section80 was an album, these are just mixtapes, released free. I don't see how you can say Section80 changed the game at all.

Sure did.

it didnt change the game, but i've lost count of how many times i've heard Section80 hailed as a classic. the most popular comparison is that it's this generation's Illmatic. not to mention it's what got him his own song on one of the biggest albums of last year, as well as a spot on Drake's tour. i don't think KRIT will be so lucky.

i never knew Section80 was an album though. Kendrick always refers to the upcoming Good Kid In A Mad City as his first album as far as i know.

PBY

Banned
dont get me wrong Sosa, Section80 was in my top 10 last year. im just describing the response as i saw it.

it didnt change the game, but i've lost count of how many times i've heard Section80 hailed as a classic. the most popular comparison is that it's this generation's Illmatic. not to mention it's what got him his own song on one of the biggest albums of last year, as well as a spot on Drake's tour. i don't think KRIT will be so lucky.

i never knew Section80 was an album though. Kendrick always refers to the upcoming Good Kid In A Mad City as his first album as far as i know.

Good Kid in a Mad City is his first studio album.

Macca

I think it was kinda like a project that wasn't quite an album, but was still released commercially. If it was released as a mixtape for free I'd totally agree with you.

And while he was good on Drakes album, it really wasn't much of a feature. And KRIT produced and featured in an upcoming feature on T.I.'s album, that's still notable.

I was more saying though KRIT is changing the free mixtape game. Along with dudes like Cole they're really changing what can be achieved.

Jay Sosa

it didnt change the game, but i've lost count of how many times i've heard Section80 hailed as a classic. the most popular comparison is that it's this generation's Illmatic

And someone called me crazy when I said it's one of the best albums in the last 5 years..

Comparing it to Illmatic..now THAT'S crazy.

And while he was good on Drakes album, it really wasn't much of a feature

Imho it was even more astonishing that he basically had his own track. I wonder how many 14 year old girls were wondering who in the world this dude is.

Bishman

Section. 80 put Kendrick on the map. I will use myself as an example. I listened to Overly Dedicated but I wasn't feeling Kendrick like that. Then I heard he dropped Section. 80 and was blown out of my mind. Section. 80 was the mixtape that I put a lot of my friends on Kendrick. It is a straight cohesive project with a consistent production throughout the whole mixtape. And the one thing I love about Kendrick is that he is conscious but isn't like most conscious rappers that use big words and bore you to fucking death. He has the charisma, lyrics, mic presence, flow, and etc.

Macca

Section. 80 put Kendrick on the map. I will use myself as an example. I listened to Overly Dedicated but I wasn't feel Kendrick like that. Then I heard he dropped Section. 80 and was blown out of my mind. Section. 80 was the mixtape that I put a lot of my friends on Kendrick. It is a straight cohesive project with a consistent production throughout the whole mixtape. And the one thing I love about Kendrick is that he is conscious but isn't like most conscious rappers that use big words and bore you to fucking death. He has the charisma, lyrics, mic presence, flow, and etc.
I wouldn't disagree with that.

DominoKid

Imho it was even more astonishing that he basically had his own track. I wonder how many 14 year old girls were wondering who in the world this dude is.

if everybody else took it like the people i know did, Kendrick gained a loooooooooooooot of attention off of that feature. that was one of the major talking points of the album that i saw on facebook/twitter when it came out.

remist

Not feeling this KRIT tape. Feels like a weird change in direction. Almost too smooth.

Edit: Maybe too chill is a better word.

PBY

Banned
Not feeling this KRIT tape. Feels like a weird change in direction. Almost too smooth.

too smooth?
1290165886_rsd4rn.gif

Slizz

Well that was 1 listen thru on the K.R.I.T. tape. Don't feel a drop-off of any sorts compared to his previous tapes. The whole thing rode, didn't need to skip a track.

Next on the agenda, smoke and thennnn listen thru.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I think it was kinda like a project that wasn't quite an album, but was still released commercially. If it was released as a mixtape for free I'd totally agree with you.

And while he was good on Drakes album, it really wasn't much of a feature. And KRIT produced and featured in an upcoming feature on T.I.'s album, that's still notable.

I was more saying though KRIT is changing the free mixtape game. Along with dudes like Cole they're really changing what can be achieved.

Some could argue that Young Jeezy changed the game with Trap or Die 2. Did 3 videos for trackson the mixtape, got radio airplay for songs that wre free.

Either way, rappers are going to do what rappers are going to do. They all live in their own silos so what KRIT is doing probably isn't going to change what others are doing. I don't think many artists have enough high quality music to put on a mixtape for free. Look at Yelawolf. His first mixtape ended up being his debut album. Then his big money, label backed album was full of crap.

Macca

Some could argue that Young Jeezy changed the game with Trap or Die 2. Did 3 videos for trackson the mixtape, got radio airplay for songs that wre free.

Either way, rappers are going to do what rappers are going to do. They all live in their own silos so what KRIT is doing probably isn't going to change what others are doing. I don't think many artists have enough high quality music to put on a mixtape for free. Look at Yelawolf. His first mixtape ended up being his debut album. Then his big money, label backed album was full of crap.
Yela had other mixtapes before Trunk Musik. But I don't think the fact Trunk Musik was so good meant that he had no more good tracks left in him.

It was totally a label decision what happened to Radioactive.

I honestly figured people will be disappointed by Krit's album or mixtape. Well in my eyes, I just hopes he delivers with one or the other. Getting the mixtape now though.

Edit: no features at all? damn.

kamspy

Drake after Ice Cream Man threw my swag off. I'm standing up and getting into it, then I just kinda look left to right and sit down when the Drake cut comes on. lol

Great mix ace! Only knock^^^^ You gotta ease your way into Drake. Going from one of the hardest N.O. songs ever to Drake is jarring. You gotta go like Master P -> Juve -> Mo B Dick -> Drake

Drake after Ice Cream Man can threw my swag off. I'm standing up and getting into it, then I just kinda look left to right and sit down when the Drake cut comes on. lol

Great mix ace! Only knock^^^^ You gotta ease your way into Drake. Going from one of the hardest N.O. songs ever to Drake is jarring. You gotta go like Master P -> Juve -> Mo B Dick -> Drake

Yeah, was a pretty good mix. Most of those beats feel like they didn't age at all too. Also, I remember Ace saying something like see where ignorant rappers nowadays got their flows from and shietttt, I definitely was hearing asap rocky at one point haha and it was from a birdman verse.

njean777

Fuck, Schoolboy Q puts on a great fucking show and the bay area dudes that went on before him weren't too bad at all. Really dug this dude RGLND, him and this chubby asian dude (along with Jay Rock and Ab-Soul) fucking killed it tonight.

Everyone on stage was tradin' blunts and joints witht he dudes in the crowd, it was fuckin' cool. Such a chill but crazy show.

Even got to chat with Ab-Soul for a brief moment, dudes hair is crazy as fuck, but he's fuckin' cool.

It was a good night. Weed filled that fucking room and it was legit, so glad I said fuck it and did a sunday show.

I would not be able to go to a concert like that, the smell of burning weed drives me insane for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom