• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hootie

0SPF5.gif

I was reading the YouTube comments, and does everyone get the feeling that Kendrick Lamar is hip hop savior this year like J. Cole was last year?

Who thought Cole was saving anything outside of hardcore Cole fans? Maybe if his album came out five years ago, but most people like where hip hop is today. Personally I don't think Lamar has a lot of mainstream appeal. He's quite reserved like Cole.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I was reading the YouTube comments, and does everyone get the feeling that Kendrick Lamar is hip hop savior this year like J. Cole was last year?
Savior? Cole.. Oh yeah it's Bishman....

Bishman

Who thought Cole was saving anything outside of hardcore Cole fans? Maybe if his album came out five years ago, but most people like where hip hop is today. Personally I don't think Lamar has a lot of mainstream appeal. He's quite reserved like Cole.

I did and a lot of people. I remember when I went to his concert here in Houston... a lot of people were saying they were buying his album to make sure he doesn't flop because it would be bad for hip hop. My friends who don't buy CDs, went out and bought J. Cole album because he represent good hip hop. I'm getting the same vibe from Kendrick. Hip Hop won't allow Kendrick to fail like they did Cole. He'll sell at least 250k with his album later this year first week.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I did and a lot of people. I remember when I went to his concert here in Houston... a lot of people were saying they were buying his album to make sure he doesn't flop because it would be bad for hip hop. My friends who don't buy CDs, went out and bought J. Cole album because he represent good hip hop. I'm getting the same vibe from Kendrick. Hip Hop won't allow Kendrick to fail like they did Cole. He'll sell at least 250k with his album later this year first week.

He had good sales.. But that hardly qualifies as saving hip hop...

DominoKid

The numbers werent the problem w/ Cole. He did pretty well there. 200K first week IIRC.
It's the fact that the album sucked nuts.

Bishman

The numbers werent the problem w/ Cole. He did pretty well there. 200K first week IIRC.
It's the fact that the album sucked nuts.

DominoKid that is just your opinion. You were the biggest hater when the album dropped. It wasn't as good as the Warm Up or Friday Night Lights but it wasn't a bad album.

DominoKid

*kanyeshrug*

i just call it how i see it and im consistent w/ it.
it sucked.
i liked the beats but they weren't so strong that they could carry his facepalm bars.
for someone whose whole hype was based on bringing that "lyrical shit" back, it was pathetic.
i never bought into it but still...

Trey

He had good sales.. But that hardly qualifies as saving hip hop...

Mostly because it didn't need saving, despite what washed-up rappers, one after another, would say. The product reflects the market. The landscape is changing and the mantle is being passed. However, I doubt anyone would argue the core "soul" of the genre was compromised. There's always someone, somewhere, keeping on keeping on.

That being said, as a Cole fan, I can understand how people would get annoyed with his style after a while. His fundamentals aren't widely appealing and his niche is fickle. Heads will turn on him at any time, and they did.

solarus

If you read the youtube comments for basically ANY hip hop artist who hasn't blown up yet, then apparently they are all hip hop's saviour and "real hip hop is back guys!!!".

TangMeng

Was the Ross tape promoted as heavily as Meek Mills'?
For me, I had no idea there was a Ross tape until like a day or two before it dropped, but I knew about Dreamchasers 2 long before.
It had the countdown on Datpiff and everything, did Rich forever get that? Maybe it was released somewhere before Datpiff put it up?

Or maybe it's still these internet thugs not wanting do listen to Rawse's music because he was a cop lol

It was promoted on Live Mixtapes and went up on there first.

That Sunni colon is great.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Street Knock Raspy >>>>>>>>>>>>> Street Knock. That Biggie sample is everything. Also, no-sign having to hear dos verses from Swizz.

kamspy

Could someone please post the ad libs "Wooah" and "Yeahh" from Kanye's verse on I Don't Like? Just as small MP3 or .wav files.

Cookin something up for yall.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Big Sean interview with Cipha Sounds and Rosenberg.

Ma$e x Big Sean collabo is actually happening. *dead at the Ma$e impression*
Talks masturbation with Big Sean.
Talks Yung Chop controversy. There's a Yung Chop x Kanye x Big Sean song on his next album. Basically everybody understands he's being a bitch about it.
Talks G.O.O.D. Music Compilation. No I.D alluded to being on there. Hype.
Rosenberg tells Big Sean to smash Elizabeth Berkley :lol

Swizz Beatz ft. A$AP Rocky - Street Knock video.

kodecraft

Big Sean interview with Cipha Sounds and Rosenberg.

Ma$e x Big Sean collabo is actually happening. *dead at the Ma$e impression*
Talks masturbation with Big Sean.
Talks Yung Chop controversy. There's a Yung Chop x Kanye x Big Sean song on his next album. Basically everybody understands he's being a bitch about it.
Talks G.O.O.D. Music Compilation. No I.D alluded to being on there. Hype.
Rosenberg tells Big Sean to smash Elizabeth Berkley :lol

Swizz Beatz ft. A$AP Rocky - Street Knock video.

Believe it.

T Dollarz

The ballot or the bullet, some freedom or some bullshit
Will we ever do it big, or keep just settling for little shit
We brag on having bread, but none of us are bakers
We all talk having greens, but none of us on acres
If none of us on acres, and none of us grow wheat
Then who will feed our people when our people need to eat
So it seems our people starve from lack of understanding
Cos all we seem to give them is some balling and some dancing
And some talking about our car and imaginary mansions
We should be indicted for bullshit we inciting