• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

What up GAF-Hop. I return from the ashes with 3 messages.

1) Ace is like Prometheus, bringing the fire to the people.
2) Beez in the Trap video is nice.
3) Kendrick and The Dream were performing down the street from me and I missed it because I was unaware. Fuck my life.

kamspy

What do you guys listen to the crappy versions of hip hop you guys like with? We should have a GAF HOP rundown. NOT to make people with humble sound systems feel bad, but I'm a little bit of a speaker guy and I know HRD knows his cans. Maybe we can help in your budget. Toku can vouch for my value finding.

I went through a little phase before I joined GAF where I was buying and selling speaker sets a couple times a month. The wife at the time was ready to kill me if another speaker set showed up. I was in the market at paying for $300-$600 a pair. I settled on these after a lot of deliberation. Most of it is the value proposition. I paid $300 for the pair and there wasn't a speaker in my price range that warranted the extra cash. Klipsch is not for me. Shreds my ears.

So here goes the home set up:

bxD8w.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002Z240W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Polk Monitor 50s. Looks like they're down to around $100 a piece now which is just plain nuts. You'll need to get into the $600 range to get a tangibly better speaker. Unless you like the horrid screeching that comes out of Klipsch horn tweeters. It might be good for movies and other music, but kill hip hop. They're very bright speakers, and bright and hip hop don't match. Polks have soft dome tweeters (silk to be exact, swag), and they don't make the high hats kill you at high volume.

Vy3nq.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015A8Y5M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The sub in this image (not my pad lol). The BIC F12. Made in 'Merica. I wanted to find a pic that showed it to scale. It's huge. It will make your sternum rattle from 10' away in a wide open room, and HOLY FUCK IT'S ONLY $200 RIGHT NOW. I paid $500 when it came out and don't regret a penny. Buy this motherfucker. My boredom and spark to make this post is YOUR WIN with this. Holy shit. The sub was reviewed as a value block beater at $$500. At $200 there is officially no other sub to buy. If you got $200, I just spent it for you. I don't even see how they make money on that considering the shipping. The thing is huge and heavy as a brick. It's a very musical sub that does well with movies and music alike. It get's really low and can make a pure 808 resonate like it should. The high end sub I'd compare it to the most is the REL T1, which I ended up trading out for this one. Now that it's $200 that sounds like a crazy proposition to someone who hasn't heard either (considering the price of the REL). Yall lucked out GAF.

I also went on a journey to find the right headphones. I wanted some good cans. I had some Senny 4xx something I bought off the shelf at Best Buy. They had no bass and I payed like $80. Really like the bass in the Beats by Dre so I went to the headphone thread HRD made. No one recommended them, but I pulled them out of Dez's OT. They're the best hip hop headphone of the 4-5 I bought and returned in my journey. Outclassing a couple ~$150 more traditional brand headphones that I won't mention, because while researching headphones, I found that people are REALLY defensive over their head phone brand. The most expensive pair I bought was $170 shipped. By the end of my testing I ended up with these for $50. It wasn't even a value proposition with these, I straight up like them the best. The only piece of Sony electronics I will ever recommend anyone-

p7UzR.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RB24S2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Fucking comfy as hell and really the only headphones to look at if you're on a mortal budget and mainly listen to hip hop. They also vibrate my jaw bone when I shoot certain guns in BF3.

All my audio is ran through this stuff-

22wLN.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OV789U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It sounds great, but not really $200 better than my motherboard onboard audio. If I could have returned it I would have. Oh well. It's nice I guess. I can't recommend it unless you spend money like crazy. It is a great soundcard as far as soundcards though. Best brand IMO.

And my old Onkyo AVR. Non HDMI. Yup. Sold my Marantz 4004 just because it was HDMI's early days, handshakes were a bitch, and even "lossless" audio in movies was even more BS than lossless audio in music. This is my baby. Going on 7 years of perfect service. Back when they were made in Japan. So sturdy. Build like a tank compared to new AVRs. Just so solid. Such a great DAC. It's from Onkyo's last line of non HDMI AVRs. I'm not saying HDMI AVRs are bad, they just kinda came out around the same time Onkyo and Denon/Marantz started outsources more production to China and cheaping out on part quality.

R7oeK.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00078COLS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

toslink foe life. If you can find one built "like they use to" go for it. I can't.

I'm shopping for car audio now. Going with Eclipse for the deck, got my JL W7 13.5" waiting in the wings. I just have to figure out who makes good amps these days. Lord knows Fosgate and Kicker sold out a decade ago, people hype up Memphis and I never hear it compared to good JL + vintage Fosgate amp. Had a nice Diamond last time. Might try to dig one of those up. Anyone who stays up on car audio, shout me out a good mono channel amp.

cdyhybrid

I listen on my stock Honda Civic speakers or my $30 Sony sport headphones.

I am hesitant to consider car audio upgrades because that was a high schooler thing where I'm from. Not to judge anyone here. It's tempting. Good bass is bliss.

kamspy

I listen on my stock Honda Civic speakers or my $30 Sony sport headphones.

I am hesitant to consider car audio upgrades because that was a high schooler thing where I'm from.

You can get a great car audio system that doesn't "bump". Just get a lil single JL 10" W0 and a decent lil amp. And all new interior speakers depending on the age of your car. Line the trunk in dryna-mat and you won't have any "bump" outside the car. Just better bass.

But when you drive by some pretty college chicks in the summer time.... might want that bump mane.

You don't listen on speakers at home?

cdyhybrid

You can get a great car audio system that doesn't "bump". Just get a lil single JL 10" W0 and a decent lil amp. And all new interior speakers depending on the age of your car. Line the trunk in dryna-mat and you won't have any "bump" outside the car. Just better bass.

But when you drive by some pretty college chicks in the summer time.... might want that bump mane.

You don't listen on speakers at home?

Haha, good friend of mine actually had a banging setup in his Celica. Two twelves in the trunk, that spray lining barely did anything for him. I'd be open to one but it's pretty far down on my list of shit to spend extra money on - especially since I don't really have that money to spend.

At home I got some Dell 5.1 speakers I bought way back in freshman year but I'm not using the two rear speakers at the moment. Sub works fine but I don't really ever bump it anymore since we don't really do house parties anymore (makes me sad).

kamspy

IMO, you need a sub for any music. Not even high volumes. There are layers of bass that regular speakers don't even play. Guarantee if someone here buys a sub for the first time they will find multiple instances of a song they've known and loved for years with a whole nother baseline they never even heard.

Oh and the spray shit works like you would expect spray to work. Buy the actual mats off ebay. They sell the rolls cheap as fuck. Don't buy the knock offs though.

cdyhybrid

IMO, you need a sub for any music. Not even high volumes. There are layers of bass that regular speakers don't even play. Guarantee if someone here buys a sub for the first time they will find multiple instances of a song they've known and loved for years with a whole nother baseline they never even heard.

I will support this statement. Subs make everything better to listen to. I could (and did) fall asleep listening to some old southern stuff that has basslines that shatter windows.

I have some Senny 555s that need to be replaced. They are good entry level headphones for most music, but they lack the bass needed for most hiphop/rap music.

Besides that I have a cheap Denon Home theater in a box for movies/tv/games but occasionally I'll throw on some music if I really want to feel it.

kamspy

Denon actually almost launched a speaker line not too long ago. This great speaker maker came out of no where, calling themselves The Speaker Company. A little detective work proved it to be Denon/Marantz. I actually bought a pair of their bookshelfs for rears in my 5.1 and love em. They got great reviews from the guys at AVS though. I guess the venture didn't work out because it's all closed down. Maybe they were just field test HTiB stuff.

Adding a real sub to a HTiB is actually a giant upgrade. Think about it.

Jay Sosa

I don't like using iTunes for anything either, but I bought it off iTunes just to push it up that chart. Is it that much on iTunes?

Also, when did the exchange rate go to 3:1?

Even if it was only 1€ on a itunes I wouldn't buy it there.

was just kidding bout the exchange rate, if anything in it will be the other around in a few months.

My setup:

JBL MK 1000

$(KGrHqF,!rEE88gWlDmiBPojgYQkeQ~~48_75.JPG

Rear are some Klipsch..

Pioneer 921

31TB2GQf4DL._SS400_.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My speaker set up is pretty simple and shitty
Car audio are two 12's in a box too nice for whats inside (some 7 year old duals). I've been meaning to switch them out for something better for years, but I always had more important things to spend my money on. And considering where I lived, even my shitty set up banged harder than 99% of the people around me. And I'll be selling my car in a few months now so it wouldn't be worth it now.

At home I never had any kind of set up until recently. I just didn't listen to music at home. My car was where I listened to music and my home was where I did other things. But over the last year I realized living alone in the middle of woods gave me some freedom to be obnoxious with my music. I still didn't have much money so I just picked up some klipshce computer speakers with a subwoofer. It's pretty decent for what it is but its certainly not a proper home sound system.

Headphones are some klipsche buds for when I'm listening to my mp3 player, and some bose headphones for comfort. Yeah yeah bose sucks blah blah. I got them as a gift and they are comfortable enough and the sound quality is good enough to be useful. The volume sucks on them though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Grado SR-60s
grado%203.jpg

My headphones that I bought years ago when they 1st released. They still sound fine even if they are sort of beat up physically. I just haven't pulled the trigger on anything else yet. I don't use headphones THAT often though so maybe that's why.

Yamaha HTR-5540
31S7J1P5C4L.jpg

Billed as a "Entry Level: HT Receiver it was actually more of a semi mid level box when I got mine. I got mine as part of a HTB so I have the receiver 5 speakers + the sub. It's an older model, but for my current setup it's fine. It does DD/DTS 5.1 + DPL I/II. I mainly just use it as a DPLII receiver that I have hooked up to my computer over analog cables. I have onboard sound, and can use the optical, but with the way sound on the pc is all over the place in terms of hook ups my current setup would give me PCM, but only 2.0. I figured funk it DPLII is pretty solid still (decent jump over DPLI IMO) so that's what I use when I play games and/or listen to spotify.

I use to have the optical hooked up to my Xbox 360 and my 360 hooked up to my comp monitor via VGA cause I have one of those 1080 ASUS monitors. I ditched my 360 last fall though for various reasons I won't shit up this thread with. I'm currently using this to listen to some EDM on spotify.

Cheapie Samsung IEMs
dah3cne.jpg

These came with my Samsung Focus smartphone so I figured fuck it even if they aren't great they were free, and I didn't have a pair of IEMs. I have an older cheap ass pair of Senn buds, but they were like HELLA cheapie.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can see that. Especially after your lack of love for Oneirology and Undun if I remember correctly.
I liked the production on Oneirology though, I just thought as a package it was a bit boring. Undun was good, it just didn't stick with me for long for some reason. Same goes for The Dreamer, The Believer in fact.

Anyways, Live From The Underground Tracklist:

1. LFU300MA (Intro)
2. Live From The Underground
3. Cool 3 Be Southern
4. I Got This
5. Money On The Floor ft. 8Ball & MJG and 2 Chainz
6. What U Mean ft. Ludacris
7. My Sub (Pt. 2: The Jackin’)
8. Don’t Let Me Down
9. Porchlight ft. Anthony Hamilton
10. Pull Up ft. Big Sant & Bun B
11. Yeah Dats Me
12. Hydroplaning ft. Devin The Dude
13. If I Fall ft. Melanie Fiona
14. Rich Dad, Poor Dad
15. Praying Man ft. B.B. King
16. Live From The Underground (Reprise) ft. Ms. Linnie

I liked the production on Oneirology though, I just thought as a package it was a bit boring. Undun was good, it just didn't stick with me for long for some reason. Same goes for The Dreamer, The Believer in fact.

1. LFU300MA (Intro)
3. Cool 3 Be Southern
4. I Got This
8. Don’t Let Me Down
11. Yeah Dats Me
14. Rich Dad, Poor Dad

I can't believe Def Jam is going to release an album that's gonna bomb this hard. I guess from their perspective, they aren't paying for a bunch of guest appearances and big time producers (looks like KRIT produces most of this). But still...

Might be a damn good album though

CRS

1. LFU300MA (Intro)
3. Cool 3 Be Southern
4. I Got This
8. Don’t Let Me Down
11. Yeah Dats Me
14. Rich Dad, Poor Dad

Hopefully people finally get those bangers that they wanted.

PBY

Banned

1. LFU300MA (Intro)
3. Cool 3 Be Southern
4. I Got This
8. Don’t Let Me Down
11. Yeah Dats Me
14. Rich Dad, Poor Dad

2 CHAIIIIINZZZZZZZZ

Macca

1. LFU300MA (Intro)
3. Cool 3 Be Southern
4. I Got This
8. Don’t Let Me Down
11. Yeah Dats Me
14. Rich Dad, Poor Dad
Ooooooooooooh shit hype!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yo you guys have some nice cans, makes my heart fill warm as a headphone junkie.

I wish I could get into headphones more, but I just don't use them enough.

In an alternate reality where I, Brettison, had a ton of free money to play with I'd buy a 32 gig iPad 3 + a fiio E7 dac (or something similar) + a new pair of cans (I really like my friend's audiotechnicas). That would end up being like idk 900 to 1000 dollars that I just don't want to blow on random stuff right now though. LOL

HiResDes

THis Lecrae, though I can't really connect with all of the religious shit....Still dope as fuck, and I appreciate that he's trying a different lane all the same, just as I appreciated that one Co$$ album.

IAMSU has the softest delivery, and horrible mastering keeping me enjoying KILT.

Denon actually almost launched a speaker line not too long ago. This great speaker maker came out of no where, calling themselves The Speaker Company. A little detective work proved it to be Denon/Marantz. I actually bought a pair of their bookshelfs for rears in my 5.1 and love em. They got great reviews from the guys at AVS though. I guess the venture didn't work out because it's all closed down. Maybe they were just field test HTiB stuff.

Adding a real sub to a HTiB is actually a giant upgrade. Think about it.

Buying my ~$200 HTiB was already a bad financial decision lol, but when the time comes to step it up I'll be sure to send you a pm.

kamspy

since a lot of posters aren't pimping their speakers, I can only assume their using iPhone earbuds or desktop computer speakers. Kam will save thou.

Here's a great 5.1 set. Bookshelf speakers in front, so you'd have to buy stands. Still, amazingly cheaper than it was last time I looked at it. Pretty much best in class deal if $400 is your budget for a 5.1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001202C44/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HOT DAMN. Fuck those Monitor 50s I posted. The Polk TSi towers are down to $150/ea! Holy fuck.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018QPSBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ninjas on a budget system. Complete, courtesy of kams:

Front Speakers:

Pair of Dayton bookshelf speakers. Dayton is a really good brand. Not flashy, but making speakers the sub $1k price range is not rocket science. Just a matter of using good materials and build quality. $45 for the pair is fucking theft with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002RMPHMU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sub

BIC America V80. Less than a hundred fucking dollars. You won't get better sound until you get to the $200 range.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009WBYK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Receiver:

We've got options here, but for the Ninjas on a Budget build, can't beat $100 for a Denon.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...1-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Boom. Great brand Subwoofer and AVR, plus very serviceable bookshelf speakers for ~$200. Add on extras down the line if you want to go 5.1

kamspy

Nice. That's out of my price range, but I did get some great B&W bookshelf speakers in an estate sale I use in the bedroom to make babies with.

I'd get banned at AVS for saying this, but for hip hop, my lowly Monitor 50s >>> B&W DM600s.

/shrug

kamspy

I ain't gonna front. I have beats solohd cans. They do the job, sound good enough for me

I love the sound of the all the Beats headphones. It's got a great EQ curve for hip hop. I'd have considered the Solo's if the cups were bigger. I like full sized headphones. I even like the fact it's battery powered. To me, it beats having to lug around my little FiiO clip.

Also, those Sony headphone I own and linked are the best feeling full sized headphones ever. Shockingly light, but still sturdy as hell. Easily the best cup material ever. It's memory foam and does a decent job of getting a small seal around the cup. They're also very lightweight. Only full sized can I can literally forget I'm wearing.

Tokubetsu

Didn't know you were killing it like that //BiG, damn.

But yea, I got the Polk 50s, with the 75 dollar Sony sub. I like it. Shouts @Kamspy.

Actually listening to some Explosions In The Sky on them right now.

iavi

1. LFU300MA (Intro)
3. Cool 3 Be Southern
4. I Got This
8. Don’t Let Me Down
11. Yeah Dats Me
14. Rich Dad, Poor Dad

I'm feeling these FTs. I'm trying to keep the hype contained, but it's getting so hard.

Trey

since a lot of posters aren't pimping their speakers, I can only assume their using iPhone earbuds or desktop computer speakers. Kam will save thou.

Here's a great 5.1 set. Bookshelf speakers in front, so you'd have to buy stands. Still, amazingly cheaper than it was last time I looked at it. Pretty much best in class deal if $400 is your budget for a 5.1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001202C44/?tag=neogaf0e-20

HOT DAMN. Fuck those Monitor 50s I posted. The Polk TSi towers are down to $150/ea! Holy fuck.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018QPSBG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ninjas on a budget system. Complete, courtesy of kams:

Front Speakers:

Pair of Sony Bookshelf speakers. Don't worry, it's not real SONY, just rebadged good stuff. $60 for the pair is fucking theft with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OG88KY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sub

BIC America V80. Less than a hundred fucking dollars. You won't get better sound until you get to the $200 range.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009WBYK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Receiver:

We've got options here, but for the Ninjas on a Budget build, can't beat $100 for a Denon.

http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...1-5.1-Channel-AV-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html

Boom. Great brand Subwoofer and AVR, plus very serviceable bookshelf speakers for ~$200. Add on extras down the line if you want to go 5.1

Good looks.

kamspy

Good looks.

You have to make your own speaker wire though. Buy a roll of in wall 16ga from monoprice.com and some bananaclips. Measure it out and attach the clips. It's like a Jedi building his lightsaber. You cannot buy pre cut cables.

Also - Technically speaking, if you're putting a 5.1 together, all speaker wires should be the same length. Yes, if you don't do this you'll probably never notice, but still. Take the longest run of wire you have to make, and make all your cables that length. It's supposed to help with timing since it's an analog signal passing through the cable. Subwoofer excluded. If you have a modern AVR it runs on a digital connection. As for the extra 10' of wire you'll have behind your fronts, just roll it up and zip tie it on the AVR side. If you coil it really well you can maintain good wire management while having optimal interconnects.

I have that exact Denon AVR you recommended Kamps, I've heard mixed stuff. Some dudes saying after months of use it stops working occasionally, the only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in. Others have said they've had it for a long time with no issue. Got it coupled with Denon speakers and sub for 200$ so I couldn't pass it up.

I've had it for a few weeks and like it so far.

kamspy

I have that exact Denon AVR you recommended Kamps, I've heard mixed stuff. Some dudes saying after months of use it stops working occasionally, the only way to fix it is to unplug it and plug it back in. Others have said they've had it for a long time with no issue. Got it coupled with Denon speakers and sub for 200$ so I couldn't pass it up.

I've had it for a few weeks and like it so far.

Good input then. I just looked for the cheapest good name on Accessories4less (awesome HiFi site. Refurb 4 lyfe). There's another Denon model on A4L for the same price. Maybe it doesn't have the hardware problems this one seems to.

Next step up is almost $200 though, and if you're going $175, I'd urge ya just go $250 and get a nice $400 AVR refurb with full warranty for $250. Most of my stuff is refurbished. As an electrical engineer who use to be a QA tech, I can tell you all with certainty that refurbished stuff is scrutinized much more than normal retail on it's way out the door. /2cents

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Asv3LA-CQAAU9co.jpg

she so bad i wouldnt even care about her history.
and that's a dirty history too...

It would be hard for any man to say no to that, no matter the history. But I think Kanye and Kim are only using each other for publicity.

I am awaiting that KRIT album, as well as the Big Sant mixtape.

I am also waiting on this -
tumblr_m2ebom8Y8O1r5uui1o1_1334283457_cover.jpg

It has new music from Big K.R.I.T., Smoke Dza, Cashius Green, Fat Trel, Big Sant, Joey Bada$$, Pro Era, Cornerboy P, Fiend, and Killa Kyleon.

I have the V-MODA Crossfade LP and that is as far as my set up goes...
Looking forward to that K.R.I.T. album. I still want to listen to other music, but this year has been mostly hip hop for me. Recommendations for other albums would be swell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom