• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Sosa

Ranked for you
In a Major Way
Charlie Hustle
My Ghetto Report Card
Federal
Revenue Retrievin Overtime/Graveyard
The Ball Street Journal
The Block Brochure 1-3
Loyalty & Betrayal
The Element of Surprise
Grit and Grind
Breakin News
Hall of Game

what? HOG last?

It has my favorite E40 track :C

hey Gaf, need some help..

my 3-yeard old enjoys listening to rap with me, problem is we're trying not to teach him *bad* words. My favorite artists are fairly old school; NAS, Big L, Biggie, old De La Soul stuff, Camp Lo, NWA, Wu-Tang etc, not always the "most healthy" lyrics, according to my wife.

So i come to you guys to get suggestions for some decent Rap that omits the worst words and swearing without losing too much quality?

please help, Gaf :)

RJT

Ah ah, that's a huge problem. The Roots keep it fairly clean, and you always have Will Smith. But honestly, if at 3 he starts to get into clean rap at 10 he'll be robbin pregnant bitches too...

I honestly think I wouldn't teach hiphop to my kid untill he was a teen. It's too complicated. BTW, I would say the same to violent video games and gangster movies. I love all of these things, but you need a developed mind in order to properly enjoy them.

Just my two cents.

Tokubetsu

my 3-yeard old enjoys listening to rap with me, problem is we're trying not to teach him *bad* words. My favorite artists are fairly old school; NAS, Big L, Biggie, old De La Soul stuff, Camp Lo, NWA, Wu-Tang etc, not always the "most healthy" lyrics, according to my wife.

So i come to you guys to get suggestions for some decent Rap that omits the worst words and swearing without losing too much quality?

Braille is good:
http://youtu.be/Rhnsu0oM3-8

GAF-Hop is full of Chamillionaire haters but I really like him (Kams does too). His second album doesn't have any cursing.

http://youtu.be/mR6skb7ufQY
http://youtu.be/CGOt8dZRsHk

Ah ah, that's a huge problem. The Roots keep it fairly clean, and you always have Will Smith. But honestly, if at 3 he starts to get into clean rap at 10 he'll be robbin pregnant bitches too...

I honestly think I wouldn't teach hiphop to my kid untill he was a teen. It's too complicated. BTW, I would say the same to violent video games and gangster movies. I love all of these things, but you need a developed mind in order to properly enjoy them.

Just my two cents.

I'm having a hard time telling if this is you making fun of clean rap or if you really mean this lol.
Braille is good:

GAF-Hop is full of Chamillionaire haters but I really like him (Kams does too). His second album doesn't have any cursing.

did he curse in first album or was that his features? been awhile since I've heard it. Braille is a good one

there's this lacrae mixtape too you might like. http://www.datpiff.com/Lecrae-Church-Clothes-mixtape.348497.html

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Pharcyde and Tribe

awesome, thanks guys!

btw, I'm not "teaching" my kid hiphop, he seems to enjoy the beat and dancing along to it. I'm a nerdy, white dude in my 30's :) We're both happy to listen to instrumental as well, chill stuff too, obviously language not a problem there, and he's a fan of Pete Rock, Fat Jon, Damu, Dela etc.

Lot's of great advice here, to the Spotify-machine!

Tokubetsu

awesome, thanks guys!

btw, I'm not "teaching" my kid hiphop, he seems to enjoy the beat and dancing along to it. I'm a nerdy, white dude in my 30's :) We're both happy to listen to instrumental as well, chill stuff too, obviously language not a problem there, and he's a fan of Pete Rock, Fat Jon, Damu, Dela etc.

Definitely pay a visit to the the Jazz-Hop/Instrumental Hop thread as well:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450225

Jay Sosa

awesome, thanks guys!

You could also have him listen to foreign stuff where he doesn't understand the lyrics*. Like french or german ...

*plus eventually he might be interested in learning the language.

Esch

Banned
El-P easily frontrunning Producer of the Year. I think C4C and RAP music are both in my top 10.

oh and the LIL B 3 STACKS song/video is the most embarassing shit ive ever heard

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Braille is good:

aw man. what ever happened to chamillionaire.
oq5BP.png

LOL

RJT

I'm having a hard time telling if this is you making fun of clean rap or if you really mean this lol.

Making fun, obviously. It didn't come out at I wanted it either :)

I'd hate to hear my son spit out ignorant shit while still a kid. Blackace, you should make a mix for the kids. Start with Kanye's "I Don't Care" :)

Esch

Banned
props to jigga for saying something in support of gay marriage. dudes always had homophobic shit in his songs but at least on record hes saying something good.

nas lost

HiResDes

There's a difference between clean rap and ignorant rap. You can shield him or her from cursing initially, but no matter what you do they will learn every curse word earlier than you envisioned. My mom gave me more free reign and the opportunity to watch things others were shielded from, but she taught me to ask questions and to discuss things openly. I think that's the best route, well to a degree.

Edit: I work for a older black woman who had the opportunity to meet Obama, whom kissed her cheek. However, when she heard about Obama's endorsement of same-sex marriage she vowed that we finally wash her cheek. It was quite disheartening, and I wanted to engage her in a verbal onslaught, but I couldn't, especially given that she was a former freedom writer.

Edit 2: Ab-Soul's Control System might have the longest legs of any TDE album, though I enjoyed HnC more immediately and intensely.

Bishman

There's a difference between clean rap and ignorant rap. You can shield him or her from cursing initially, but no matter what you do they will learn every curse word earlier than you envisioned. My mom gave me more free reign and the opportunity to watch things others were shielded from, but she taught me to ask questions and to discuss things openly. I think that's the best route, well to a degree.

Edit: I work for a older black woman who had the opportunity to meet Obama, whom kissed her cheek. However, when she heard about Obama's endorsement of same-sex marriage she vowed that we finally wash her cheek. It was quite disheartening, and I wanted to engage her in a verbal onslaught, but I couldn't, especially given that she was a former freedom writer.

Edit 2: Ab-Soul's Control System might have the longest legs of any TDE album, though I enjoyed HnC more immediately and intensely.

I don't think Obama will lose black support coming out for gay marriage. The next time I go to the barbershop, I'll see what the old heads think about it.

iavi

I want to say that you should have tried your luck anyway, but, in debates like those, minds are usually sealed tight with little room to even entertain a civil convo.

I need to give HnC another run. I thought it 'Ok' at the first pass, and haven't really given it another go since. Control System, on the other hand, has made me an ab-soul fan almost overnight.

I don't think Obama will lose black support coming out for gay marriage. The next time I go to the barbershop, I'll see what the old heads think about it.

(playing pundit) Definitely not. AT MOST it'll be a chip off the ol' golden calf, and they'll probably say shit like, 'He ain't no saint' -- heard that first hand, but still vote for him, largely. He already has hov following suit. I fully expect Flocka's announcement in a day or two.

Pretty much same way I was raised. Used to watch all types of movies when I was very young. I became a horror movie fan at a really young age

Detox

I've been on a Jeezy binge these last few weeks and tm103 is dope but the features don't cut it for me, they dilute that jeezy experience. TM101 is my favourite right now.

Tokubetsu

I've been on a Jeezy binge these last few weeks and tm103 is dope but the features don't cut it for me, they dilute that jeezy experience. TM101 is my favourite right now.

Well yea, TM101 is a southern great. TM102 is the weakest of the three...easily. I do like the beat on 3 A.M. a lot though.

Detox

What did you think of the recession?
I haven't given it a proper listen but the standout tracks right now are probably I luv it, Go getta, bury me a g, dreamin, I got money, the inspiration and streets on lock. Tbh I'm just discovering him and I'm loving almost everything the features are usually not as good apart from TI and trick daddy. I hope I don't lose this feeling by listening to him too much. This shit is motivation music for real, this line sums up jeezy for me

Sometimes you wanna scream to God, but he can’t hear you And even if he did, this’ll probably be his answer Fuck you ‘plainin’ ’bout? It ain’t like you got cancer haha

Tokubetsu

I haven't given it a proper listen but the standout tracks right now are probably I luv it, Go getta, bury me a g, dreamin, I got money, the inspiration and streets on lock. Tbh I'm just discovering him and I'm loving almost everything the features are usually not as good apart from TI and trick daddy. I hope I don't lose this feeling by listening to him too much. This shit is motivation music for real, this line sums up jeezy for me

Sometimes you wanna scream to God, but he can’t hear you And even if he did, this’ll probably be his answer Fuck you ‘plainin’ ’bout? It ain’t like you got cancer haha

"Hustlaz Ambition" off Recession might be my favorite Jeezy track. Love everything about that song.

Detox

I didn't get recession because I read it was the weakest album but I think I'll have to get it at the rate I'm listening to him.

kamspy

What did you think of the recession?

TM101>TM103>The Recession = The Inspiration

A trap rapper puts an American flag on his head and mentions politics and every white hip hop blogger's dick got rock hard. It's really just an average Jeezy album, and possibly his worst IMO. Not that i's bad, just not as good as the others.

Detox

Lol just realised tguy said recession and I thought he meant the inspiration.

Man jeezy is the perfect trap / ignorant music I need in this exam period.

iavi

Lil whoope stay making those gaudy conscious tracks. I knew not to hope for better, but in the back of my mind, I couldn't help but do it.

kamspy

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty

JackEtc

Ranked for you
In a Major Way
Charlie Hustle
My Ghetto Report Card
Federal
Revenue Retrievin Overtime/Graveyard
The Ball Street Journal
The Block Brochure 1-3
Loyalty & Betrayal
The Element of Surprise
Grit and Grind
Breakin News
Hall of Game

Thanks man.

Most accessible for new listeners is probably Welcome to the Soil Part 3.

The older stuff is better, but the sound might be too dated for you to get into.
I'll check this album out too, thanks. I think you might be right about some albums being a little too dated, I think the E-40 sound I want is his newer stuff, if that makes sense.

Nevertheless, I think I'll try one or two of his older albums before moving right to the new ones.

Tokubetsu

TM101>TM103>The Recession = The Inspiration

A trap rapper puts an American flag on his head and mentions politics and every white hip hop blogger's dick got rock hard. It's really just an average Jeezy album, and possibly his worst IMO. Not that i's bad, just not as good as the others.

Nah, TM102 is way way way fucking worse than The Recession. Go listen to them again.

CRS

Here you go.

There's a website too.

Food & Liquor 2: First Single

5d5d37b49eb411e18bb812313804a181_7.jpg

Fuck. FUCK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom