• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

That would depend on the ticket price, but I am a pretty huge mac filler/ wiz khagina hater so probably no. i can always see TDE duns anytime

Tickets are 23$-63$, not bad at all. Just bugs me that I only want to see the supporting acts, I've never gone to a concert for openers before, but those TDE albums are the best shit to happen in rap in a while, imo.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Not only is TROY better, but Talib Kweli also made a better "Around My Way" a while ago. Sorry Lupe you losin breh. :lol
I can't hate. I actually sort-of like this.

But my opinion on the song changes from pretty-positive to "eh?" when I realize that Lupe apparently did this without Pete Rock's blessing...

And I wonder how many kids that listen to this won't even know what this samples ._.

Esch

Banned
Tickets are 23$-63$, not bad at all. Just bugs me that I only want to see the supporting acts, I've never gone to a concert for openers before, but those TDE albums are the best shit to happen in rap in a while, imo.

well shit, id definitely bite on that price.

nns3d

I liked the song, only because of the sample though haha.

Someone isn't happy....

http://twitter.com/#!/peterock

Can't believe Lupe is actually asking for money for this "single"

No disrespect towards Pete Rock, but lol at him saying that the beat lacks originality. He sampled the sax for his song too. I just don't see why he's so riled up about this when the sample (while made famous by him) isn't exclusively his in the first place.

Yeah, I know the story behind T.R.O.Y and how the song came to be, but still...

HiResDes

...There's a bit of singing on some QuEST like shit, but once you warm up to it's really catchy.

I liked the song, only because of the sample though haha.

No disrespect towards Pete Rock, but lol at him saying that the beat lacks originality. He sampled the sax for his song too. I just don't see why he's so riled up about this when the sample (while made famous by him) isn't exclusively his in the first place.

Yeah, I know the story behind T.R.O.Y and how the song came to be, but still...

Research the history of the T.R.O.Y. and what inspired Pete Rock/C.L. Smooth to make it, the track is mediocre, and the producer didn't even try and flip it in any sort interesting fashion.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member

Lupe's flow is ok on this but he's still saying ham fisted shit like "emaciated models, with cocaine and blood pouring out their nostrils, they got to, just to stay awake on the catwalk of life". Also i'm not entirely convinced that repurposing a beat that was originally used to eulogise a dead loved one, is the classiest move. Pete Rock be spazzing out on twitter yo.

You have heard the original right?

Of course. And I get why it rubs some people the wrong way, the worst part of it all is that what Lupe has added to it is, to me, is pretty underwhelming.

Took a classic , re-purposed it slightly and it feels unnecessary.

edit: Listening to the original, the updated beat doesn't sound as great. Can't place my finger on it, maybe one you more musically inclined guys can, it just doesn't sound as cohesive.

GamerSoul

I like it a lot. Lupe's flow is on point and it doesn't go against the beat but compliments it, imo. I could listen to the original song all day, now I get to do it with Lupe on it. :D The beat is legendary and that is probably why they didn't have to really mess with it. I have no problem for him using it, I think it could expose more people to Pete Rock and the greatness of producers in general.

nns3d

Everybody talking about the beat...it's not really flipped at all. It's just the T.R.O.Y. beat.

Thumbs up if Lupe Fiasco brought you here!

:O

I like it a lot. Lupe's flow is on point and it doesn't go against the beat but compliments it, imo. I could listen to the original song all day, now I get to do it with Lupe on it. :D The beat is legendary and that is probably why they didn't have to really mess with it. I have no problem for him using it, I think it could expose more people to Pete Rock and the greatness of producers in general.

This is how I feel. Love T.R.O.Y and I can listen to the beat all day, and it's interesting to see another producer's take on it. It doesn't top Pete Rock's version, but it's another version to listen to.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Not only is TROY better, but Talib Kweli also made a better "Around My Way" a while ago. Sorry Lupe you losin breh. :lol

I can't hate. I actually sort-of like this.

But my opinion on the song changes from pretty-positive to "eh?" when I realize that Lupe apparently did this without Pete Rock's blessing...

And I wonder how many kids that listen to this won't even know what this samples ._.

Not sure why Lupe would do this. T.R.O.Y. is one of those songs you don't touch. It is truly that powerful. If Lupe thinks it is cool to do this and not even call Pete Rock, he is as clueless as his look suggests.

Damn...that Rick Ross is jammin'!

Lol the Lupe hate is thick as usual...there are actually people acting like Lupe purposefully went around Pete Rock with the sample, like it's not the label that handles that

The M.O.B

Lol the Lupe hate is thick as usual...there are actually people acting like Lupe purposefully went around Pete Rock with the sample, like it's not the label that handles that

Still, didn't Lupe go through all the LASERS bs so that his lablel would have no control over this album? In that case Lupe could have heard the troy sample when the producer played it to him and said "No, this shouldn't be touched".

Instead he went along with it...........

Still, didn't Lupe go through all the LASERS bs so that his lablel would have no control over this album? In that case Lupe could have heard the troy sample when the producer played it to him and said "No, this shouldn't be touched".

Instead he went along with it...........

No I meant labels (and the producers I guess) handle clearing of samples not the artist. I'm sure Lupe wanted to use the sample and I don't see what the problem is with it

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

Fuck a sample. You saying Lupe couldn't have called Pete Rock to ask if he could use T.R.O.Y. for his record? It ain't about legalities, it is about respect. That is what we are talking about. Not sure how anyone who knows the history of T.R.O.Y. can fault Pete Rock in his reaction.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's okay. Not as good as anything on Teflon Don though, which is looking like it may be his peak.

Also.. okay. Song gets better as it goes on. Flow is pretty dope. Kind of inexplicably underwhelming though.

The intro being straight T.R.O.Y. really discredits the rest of the song.

Fuck a sample. You saying Lupe couldn't have called Pete Rock to ask if he could use T.R.O.Y. for his record? It ain't about legalities, it is about respect. That is what we are talking about. Not sure how anyone who knows the history of T.R.O.Y. can fault Pete Rock in his reaction.

Do you guys even hear what you're saying? I mean, his twitter said he pissed because the sample is near and dear to him. I'm guessing what happened is he was called asking if the sample could be used and agreed and is pissed that they basically didn't do anything to it. Just straight used the original beat

TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock

And y'all need to stop the childish games, I'm a fan of lupe and he is a great artist and a great person.

HiResDes

How have you helped your original point about it being okay...I don't think the naysayers are at all concerned with the legality of the usage, but rather the lack of respect shown. If you feel compelled to do a T.R.O.Y. song you better come with your best, the subject matter should be as interesting and clever, and you better bring something to the table to make your song stand out in comparison. That goes for both the producer and the rapper.

remist

Do you guys even hear what you're saying? I mean, his twitter said he pissed because the sample is near and dear to him. I'm guessing what happened is he was called asking if the sample could be used and agreed and is pissed that they basically didn't do anything to it. Just straight used the original beat

Did you read the tweet that started the whole rant?

No disrespect to lupe fiasco and i like him alot but TROY should be left alone. Feel so violated,the beat is next to my heart and was made Outta anguish and pain. When it's like that it should not be touched by no one!

Doesn't sound like he he gave permission and is disappointed with the results. Sounds like he is disappointed with Lupe for touching it at all.

Not that I think its a big deal. I'm guessing him and pete work things out either by taking it off the album or making it more original.

cdyhybrid

here is something to follow that Outkast mix..

www.dj-ace.com/Mixes/ignorant13.mp3

it's as in your face as 10 or 11... kinda suiting my mood of chilling with a twist of stupid!

Grabbing this now, will check it out ASAP!

I like the beat, like his flow...just not really interested in hearing about him rap about the government, like I said before. I'm cautiously interested in hearing more, though.

mac-miller-wiz-khalifa-tour.jpg

Would you guys go to this to see Kendrick and Schoolboy? They just added a Toronto date, and I really have no desire to see anyone else, except for maybe Chiddy Bang who is also on the bill.

I'd pay $23 to see Kendrick and Q, absolutely. Hopefully they go on before Wiz and Mac Miller so I can just leave after the TDE guys are done.

This is pretty much how I feel about it, too. I do think it could lead more people to checking out Pete Rock, which is at least one good thing that will come out of this. Speaking of which, I checked out the Jazz-Hop thread last night and I think I found a new thread to start mining.

J@hranimo

Banned

*Golf clap*

Lupe's execution was on point and his flow was pretty damn good. If the beat was used without proper consent then that would be the only problem :/

Lupe single is decent.
about what I expect from raiden member, really nice dark production.
here is something to follow that Outkast mix..

www.dj-ace.com/Mixes/ignorant13.mp3

it's as in your face as 10 or 11... kinda suiting my mood of chilling with a twist of stupid!
Ace putting that work in! I'll let you know what I think later tonight or tomorrow.
I greatly look forward to the new Smoke DZA.
Same! I missed out on Rolling Stoned, mostly because 4loko didn't interest me much, but I liked that New Jack song quite a bit, so I'll be getting this for sure.
gonna give this a shot, some of the songs sounded good and ski beats seems to be killing it like usual

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Lupe track is on point. Can't hate on it.

And we all should know better than to blame the rapper for the producer for not properly clearing the samples.

Esch

Banned
theres no legal issue; its just ideal to rip on whoopie dongberg for making a beat jack of a hip hop classic his first single. just a douche move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom