• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

iavi

Word. The other recent releases from them didn't have me as excited as this. First half of the song is so good before it even gets to the Nas bit.

Yeah, the first single was pretty damn good. The second - alright. Third - wasn't me, at all. But this one has me on that same 'other' level of hype. Shit's bananas.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
mac-miller-wiz-khalifa-tour.jpg

Would you guys go to this to see Kendrick and Schoolboy? They just added a Toronto date, and I really have no desire to see anyone else, except for maybe Chiddy Bang who is also on the bill.

I paid 20 to just see Schoolboy Q, so paying 23 for him and Kendrick is a good deal (Although in all honesty I'd stick around for Khalifa as well)

Diggin' this a lot.

effzee

New Lupe gives me some hope.

Although it could just be due to him using an epic legendary beat.

Better than the dubstep techno shit he was on.

Beat is legendary but it sucks that Lupe or his label used it without the permission of Rock.

The lyrics are on point the flow is great and if he makes another whole album like this song it will be great.

Acid08

Banned
I gave up on Blu awhile ago, but will listen after work. I understand he didn't want to be a big rapper dude and sell out, but he could have been dominating the underground scene if he wanted it.

People LOVE that first album with Exile.

Love the second album too, still waiting on that mastered version Exile twitter'd about.

Detox

I was late to the BTH party and to be frank it wasn't as good as people hyped it up to be. Sure there are some great songs on there like The World is and some others but it's not a classic. I feel the same way about Jay Electronica got the what the fuck compilation and I was like how is this guy the second coming of Rakim or Daddy Kane? Sure he is biting their style but no way he is on their level when they were in their prime.

I don't know what's more surprising, that the Lupe song isn't awful or that he has heard of Wu-Tang.

I feel the same way about Jay Electronica got the what the fuck compilation and I was like how is this guy the second coming of Rakim or Daddy Kane? Sure he is biting their style but no way he is on their level when they were in their prime.

I think everything on that compilation was pre-Act 1 though, right?
It's Act 1 and Exhibit's A & C that got him the hype.

Detox

I don't know what's more surprising, that the Lupe song isn't awful or that he has heard of Wu-Tang.

I think everything on that compilation was pre-Act 1 though, right?
It's Act 1 and Exhibit's A & C that got him the hype.
I don't know I thought it was go to tape for those new to him, it is actually sold on amazon now... I guess I'll check those out later.

SoilBreak

Banned
Freddie Gibbs and Madlib team up for another EP release on July 10th.

Freddie Gibbs and Madlib have announced the release of their upcoming Shame EP, releasing on July 10th on vinyl and digital.

According to Stones Throw, the duo follows their Thuggin' EP with another eight-track installment. The offering will include two new tracks, "Shame" featuring BJ the Chicago Kid and "Terrorist," as well as two bonus beats, instrumentals of the songs and acappellas.

Additionally, the duo's full-length album is expected to release in Fall 2012. Fans can pre-order the Shame EP over at StonesThrow.com.

Check the tracklist and artwork below.

1. Shame featuring BJ the Chicago Kid
2. Shame (Instrumental)
3. Later That Night (Bonus Beat)
4. Shame (Acapella)
5. Terrorist
6. Terrorist (Instrumental)
7. The Morning After (Bonus Beat)
8. Terrorist (Acapella)

SKINNER!

Banned
It ain't hard to tell is the best Nas song, perfect way to finish the album.

Yup, I couldn't agree more. Never get bored of it. IWW is still a remarkable album though and there will be times when I'll prefer to listen to it over Illmatic.

In other news, Lupe talks about the sample on his new track and dishes out more info about the new double album.

http://m.complex.com/music/2012/05/lupe-fiasco-discusses-controversial-troy-sample-features-on-new-album

So is it just me or is Lupe trying to appeal to all his fans here? Part I (No features) for the Food & Liquor/ The Cool audience and Part II (expect surprise features) for the LASERS audience? He did have Jay and Snoop on his first two albums but when he says " You don't know who's gonna be on it" why do I get the feeling that it'll be a disappointment. Still, looking forward to it.

Kozak

Banned
Holy shit didn't know this thread existed.

Musical Taste:
Pick a coast to rep: West
Favourite Artist: Ice Cube. Not a track I've heard that I didn't like.
Best feature killer: ????
Favourite album: The Chronic
What's in your playlist? I was only recently introduced to hip hop (few months) so I'm still mainly repping old school in my playlist. NWA, WC, Dre, Eazy, Snoop, Nate, Cube, Eminem etc.
Favourite track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qkP8SvHvaU

I don't hate modern day hip-hop though. Fan of Lupe, Chiddy Bang, Wiz, Kanye. Not a fan of any of the artists involved in Young Money and believe they are destroying what Hip Hop is.

Don't really have a preference between 2Pac or Biggie but if I was made to choose, definitely Pac.

Been trying to open up my catalogue of artists recently. Starting to dig Xzibit. Would appreciate help :)

These two songs have been on repeat for me past week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaG6Kju0E-Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIyfCOGbI1k

Kad5

Musical Taste:
What's in your playlist? I was only recently introduced to hip hop (few months) so I'm still mainly repping old school in my playlist. NWA, WC, Dre, Eazy, Snoop, Nate, Cube, Eminem etc.

I don't hate modern day hip-hop though. Fan of Lupe, Chiddy Bang, Wiz, Kanye. Not a fan of any of the artists involved in Young Money and believe they are destroying what Hip Hop is.

Don't really have a preference between 2Pac or Biggie but if I was made to choose, definitely Pac.

Been trying to open up my catalogue of artists recently. Starting to dig Xzibit. Would appreciate help :)

I'll help you get started.

Wu-Tang Clan- 36 Chamber
Wu-TangClanEntertheWu-Tangalbumcover.jpg

Nas- Illmatic
NasIllmatic.jpg

DJ Shadow- Endtroducing...
Endtroducingcover.jpg

GZA/Genius- Liquid Swords (My personal favorite hip-hop album)
GZALiquidSwords.jpg

A Tribe Called Quest- The Low End Theory
ATribeCalledQuestTheLowEndtheory.jpg

“The album is meant to be my interpretation of America. Politics, society, religion, class, race, food, all across the board. It was only right that we had to have a song that was a collage of that so people got it from the door that all these different things, topics that make up America, that make us Americans, the things that influence us and the things that we influence. You needed that first record to be the embodiment of that whole piece, the whole direction that we’re going in. This record is a collage, but it’s a more like an introduction. As you get into the album, as we release new records, and hopefully we’ll release the album in a few months, you’ll see that we focus on particular issues on particular songs. We will expand on something that may have came up in the second verse of “Freedom Ain’t Free." There will be a whole song that speaks about this particular relationship in American society, or this particular phenomenon in American society, so people can get a good direction of where the album is going. You get it all in the first joint. But it’s not necessarily angry. The whole record’s not angry. It’s not coming from an angry place, it’s coming from a serious place.”

:(

Lhexh

Musical Taste:

Since you like the west coast check out some mac dre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7_aZ7uuw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bs7USPihl8&feature=related

Kad5

Hey guys I wanna start making beats. I already have ableton and a bunch of samples.

Can anyone send me in the right direction? I wanna know how producers like RZA or Kanye make their beats for example.

Hey guys I wanna start making beats. I already have ableton and a bunch of samples.

Can anyone send me in the right direction? I wanna know how producers like RZA or Kanye make their beats for example.

I just learn playing around with the program myself or watching videos on youtube.

edit: yall posted so much music, I don't want to recommend anything lol

im 'posed to get all debbie downer about this? fuck me if I wont get behind someone who at least tries to speak articulately on the topics of the day and not on how well he consumes shit. I dont care about some random 9/11 conspiracy line from a year old single, let the man speak.

anyway, Pete Rock had a legitimate beef but he's almost acting like a baby at this point:

tweets said:
No disrespect to lupe fiasco and i like him alot but TROY should be left alone. Feel so violated,the beat is next to my heart and was made Outta anguish and pain. When it's like that it should not be touched by no one!

It's so hard for folks to make original music, I possess that, but these dudes are scared of that and this is supposed to be HIP HOP? Man I'm a lupe fan and everything but TROY was my homie man. I think about him and Hev every fucking day!!!! Smh

This business can be so lame, sometimes I make beats blindfolded with one hand tied behind my back and still these cats can't be original to Save their fucking life. #impissed

It's pure fuckery yo,let's that fucking song live man. That do over shit is fucking corny!!!! It sounds best just the way the fuck it iz. So untalented and unoriginal. Makes me feel like I'm truly the best that ever did it. Yo hev and t-Roy I love and miss da shit outta y'all. U guys have been violated with no Vaseline. So fucked up this business smmfh!!! And I don't care who got something to say about it, kiss my Entire black ass. #violationtodafullest

Lame Ducks with absolutely no talent if u can't make ur own hit. FOH

I'm not flattered @ all. Dat shit is wack, and the producer should be ashamed of his fuckin self. Smh. That record is dear to me yo fuck deez niggas!!!! I'm still Dat nigga out here believe it or don't. Ur ignorance not mine, lame duck bullshit.

I think lupe is a great artist, I'm that angry with him but it's a major label idea. I can feel it. And y'all need to stop the childish games, I'm a fan of lupe and he is a great artist and a great person. And let me be clear cuz a lot of y'all don't know this. But Tom Scott himself gave me an approval for TROY, told me I did a great job!! As did Luther vandross as well spoke to me about how I covered "don't u know that" and approved!! Goodnight! ;) #official

I think he got his point across.

meanwhile the producer of lupe's joint says

Yes, its a remake of T.R.O.Y, …. Yes, I did it.

It was something he wanted to do, and I thought his lyrics were cool. We did it with no samples, as per instruction, and it was pretty damn tough to pull off. I think we did a pretty good job. I did not know that Pete Rock would be so pissed….. Truth be told, I thought he was in the loop with it.. but no matter.

I certainly didn’t intend to come out and shit on pete rock in any way. He’s always been one of my biggest influences, and he’s a hip hop legend. It feels kind of bad to have one of your idols come out and diss you. But I understand his perspective. I will say that the vast majority of kids I talk to have never heard the original, and maybe this will get them to go back and pay attention to the first record.

The legal issues with using the original made it pretty impossible from a modern major label perspective, My intent was to pay tribute in the best way I could and maybe make something cool and new, with an obvious homage to the original version.

I have tons of original beats, people that know me on here know that. Its not even the first time I’ve been asked to remake this track for someone. All in all I thought it came out pretty dope.

Maybe I shouldnt even be speaking on this, but there it is. Redoing it gave me a new appreciation for Pete’s original production and how intricate and complicated it was. I dont blog and I’m not active on twitter, so I figured Id put this here.

Anyways, you can hate me now. I’m just trying to get over like the rest of yall though.

I mean, i know it probably doesn’t mean anything, but my version was made with no samples. We called in a sax player and everything. When you look at the original, its a sample of tom scott, covering a Jefferson airplane song and using james brown drums. Not really possible to use these days.

I can’t really blame anyone who knows the original for not being excited for the remake, but theres a lot of kids out there that have never heard the original before.

For what its worth, Tom Scott gave his blessing. Technically Im not even sure we needed to clear things that far as its an interpolation of a cover song.

I’ve got a couple other joints with dude that will hopefully make the album that are much more original. In the meantime, its cool to say I have a single for a major artist. I’ve been doing this shit a long time without that. No one can say I havent paid my dues.

Just wanted to come back to the strut to talk about it. Cause if it weren’t for this place, I probably wouldn’t have known the original in the first place. I hope that it helps to know I worshipped at the alter of mecca and the soul brother, and have tracked my own copy of honeysuckle breeze out of the dollar bins years ago.

I did my best to keep things as funky as tom scott’s Birkenstocks, and I hope Pete will see this as the honest tribute it was meant to be eventually.

sounds like someone from lupe's camp didnt reach out to Pete, but whatever. Nothing a phone call cant fix.

I mean, i know it probably doesn’t mean anything, but my version was made with no samples. We called in a sax player and everything. When you look at the original, its a sample of tom scott, covering a Jefferson airplane song and using james brown drums. Not really possible to use these days.

So the producer literally remade the beat? That's pretty sick

Well how would yall feel if Lil Whoopi stole one of your beats and pooped all over it?

Well clearly you'd be mad

im 'posed to get all debbie downer about this? fuck me if I wont get behind someone who at least tries to speak articulately on the topics of the day and not on how well he consumes shit. I dont care about some random 9/11 conspiracy line from a year old single, let the man speak.

anyway, Pete Rock had a legitimate beef but he's almost acting like a baby at this point:

I think he got his point across.

meanwhile the producer of lupe's joint says

sounds like someone from lupe's camp didnt reach out to Pete, but whatever. Nothing a phone call cant fix.

Since it is a literal remake and they got blessings from Tom Scott, I have no issue with it at all anymore. It is a pretty impressive remake too.

I still think they fucked up by not reaching out to Rock. but I mean, Rock should have said his piece, then let it be.

I think it was handled poorly, but it might of just been some miscommunication within Lupe's camp. Either way, Rock is gonna get have a lot of younger, new people checking out his music, and that is a good thing.

I never see love for NY State of Mind 2 up in here. I know part of that is because it's on I Am, but it's almost on the same level as the original. i actually prefer the beat over the original, it has more atmosphere.

'mama should have cuffed me to the radiator, why not? it might have saved me later from my block, and wild cops'

and that first verse is fucking fine art.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Anyone got favorite radio/oldschool rap city freestyles? They sure arent what they used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE7HuHB5V0M

For nostalgia's sake, probably this early 90's Method Man freestyle.

I remember seeing it live and thinking the way Meth low key ripped it was the dopest shit I had ever watched.

Man being home to see who was going to freestyle with Joe Clair used to be mandatory.

Fuck beats. My Solo HDs have a loud Buzzing noise on my left ear. Lol, fucking POS

Dr. Dre Quality Assurance™

HiResDes

You know I just realized Asap Rocky was dissing Raiden clan on that Yao Ming remix, I thought him and spaceghostpurpp was cool. I thought it was pretty weird that SGP wasn't hanging out with him for awhile when it seemed like Rocky was really trying to put him on.

Lil Ugly Mane affiliate and the The RVIDER KLVN I think wanted to rebel against the pretty bog swag movement, which caused a fissure in their relationship...Plus A$AP Rocky is all about the his own limelight pretty much and no one else, which is why I highly doubt any of the other members of the crew will ever make any noise sales wise or otherwise.

Lil Ugly Mane affiliate and the The RVIDER KLVN I think wanted to rebel against the pretty bog swag movement, which caused a fissure in their relationship...Plus A$AP Rocky is all about the his own limelight pretty much and no one else, which is why I highly doubt any of the other members of the crew will ever make any noise sales wise or otherwise.

I doubt you will see Rocky light up the sales charts either, and his crew are 5,000 unit sellers at best, and thats only based on Rocky shining his limited light on them.

I can see that, but Rocky doesn't come off as the guy who all about his own limelight from watching his freestyles and stuff. Like he'd make sure that other members get into the freestyles and push the mic towards them if he has to. I'll find the video, but what caused me to believe otherwise was when they were doing this asap freestyle, he actually stood in the back and was pushing all the other members ahead of him to get their shine on and make sure they were in the camera. So I never got that vibe from him.

iavi

I doubt you will see Rocky light up the sales charts either, and his crew are 5,000 unit sellers at best, and thats only based on Rocky shining his limited light on them.

All Rocky needs is one radio hit ala Work Out and he'll move 200+ at debut. If anything, the guy is marketable as hell.

HiResDes

I honestly do not know if that is sarcasm lol. But I do really like Rocky, I just dont see him selling much.

Edit: I basically see the A$AP crew as the swag version of Odd Future.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I'd have put that shit in italics. Rocky is getting a decent amount of radioplay here in Cincy, which I was surprised by, but yeah his sales will probably end up somewhere in between say Yelawolf and J. Cole. Kissin Pink is the track they're playing now.

All Rocky needs is one radio hit ala Work Out and he'll move 200+ at debut. If anything, the guy is marketable as hell.

I hope so( for a hit, not one like Work Out...*puke* ), Peso is fucking dope though, I need more of that. Out of all the swag rappers, I do think Rocky is by far the most marketable.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I'd have put that shit in italics. Rocky is getting a decent amount of radioplay here in Cincy, which I was surprised by, but yeah his sales will probably end up somewhere in between say Yelawolf and J. Cole. Kissin Pink is the track they're playing now.

Nice, I dont really fuck with the radio, but I only know a couple of people who have even heard of the guy. I do bump his shit in my apartment all the time when getting blazed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom