• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Downloading now. Aside from your irregular dislike for Killer Mike, you've got impeccable taste me friend. Now, as long as this mix has none of hiw work with 9th Wonder on it, I've got a new mix for da summa time!

Gotta throw curveballs every now and again....

Made the mix a little like I made Ye's.. Mostly him with a sprinkle of his production only stuff..

I don't even know what generic Kanye means honestly.

that was actually my reason for asking you what you thought about it lol.

I've been actually checking out Quik lately. I know I'm late since yall talk about him every now and then, but just got book of david and safe and sound a week ago. Safe and sound aged incredibly well, pretty damn good. Book of david kind of threw me off, not in the sense that it was bad, just some of the sounds he uses in his beat are somethings I've never heard before. Pretty impressive he was able to drop a good album after all these years.

Quik is amazing, Safe + Sound aged incredibly well.. Especially if you compare it to other albums of its time..

So we expeceting a mini Luda mix in the future? :)

In the queue.. But maybe not until much later.. Have a Jeezy mix brewing, TI mix brewing and a special artist I don't want to name yet brewing..

Downloading!
As always let me know what you think

Has anybody actually bit the Hopsin bait before? It seems like he disses a lot of rappers to piggyback on their success but nobody listens haha.

Kad5

Fuck the haters I love Hopsin. I agree he hasn't put out a particularly amazing album yet but he puts out some great lyricism.

kamspy

DJ Quik is one of the most talented artists in hip hop.

YouTube some of his shows. He does it all. He'll hop on the keyboard for a song, pick up a bass guitar for a song, hop on the 1s and 2s and just spin a few records. He's amazing. A real one man band.

Plus, he basically made All Eyez On Me. He's the one who glued all the beats and verses together after the party of a recording session. He carved it out of the raw output of a week of west coast greats in the same studio. Also, his mastering and engineering is unparalleled. If anyone thinks there is someone better, please post it. I love high fidelity rap and Quik is a quality control freak. He bought one of Jim Henson's old studio. 100% analog tubes. Hence the warmth of all his albums. Shit is recorded on real gear, not a laptop.

Fuck Hopsin

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn, all of GAF-Hop is late on this?

exodus-500x500-450x450.jpg

Flex tags.

It's pretty meh.

Blackace

DJ Quik is one of the most talented artists in hip hop.

YouTube some of his shows. He does it all. He'll hop on the keyboard for a song, pick up a bass guitar for a song, hop on the 1s and 2s and just spin a few records. He's amazing. A real one man band.

Plus, he basically made All Eyez On Me. He's the one who glued all the beats and verses together after the party of a recording session. He carved it out of the raw output of a week of west coast greats in the same studio. Also, his mastering and engineering is unparalleled. If anyone thinks there is someone better, please post it. I love high fidelity rap and Quik is a quality control freak. He bought one of Jim Henson's old studio. 100% analog tubes. Hence the warmth of all his albums. Shit is recorded on real gear, not a laptop.

Fuck Hopsin

I have said it before I will say it again DJ Quik is basically the "Prince" of hip-hop.

There is no better people to compare the two artist with!

Clipse have been done for awhile. Malice is basically retired, pusha is garbage solo.

I know this..... but you didn't have to actually say it!! :(
Pusha had so much solo hype too, dunno why he didn't just get Kanye and Pharrell to do a whole album for him.

Clispe were never that good to begin with.. An overrated duo by fans hungry for that Outkast feeling...

Now come on ace, you can't call a duo who recorded a classic album not that good to begin with.
Just doesn't compute.

clipse.jpg

This is one of the best modern hip-hop records.

Blackace

Now come on ace, you can't call a duo who recorded a classic album not that good to begin with.
Just doesn't compute.

clipse.jpg

This is one of the best modern hip-hop records.

If I felt HHNF was a classic I would agree.. but I never have felt it worthy of it's acclaim.. it's a decent album.. I thought Lord Willin was a better album.

If I felt HHNF was a classic I would agree.. but I never have felt it worthy of it's acclaim.. it's a decent album.. I thought Lord Willin was a better album.

Lord Willing is a fun album, but it's pretty schizophrenic. There are just slightly too many ideas, changes in tone and features. Comes off sounding like a patchwork.

HHNF on the other hand is just a relentlessly driven record. Far more cohesive, competent (they stepped up the verses) and the production is sublime.
The beats are hard, the features fit (Jada, Styles & Fabolous just didn't mesh well on LW) and it has a lot more depth for me.

You ever listen to their first album, Exclusive Audio Footage?

Blackace

Lord Willing is a fun album, but it's pretty schizophrenic. There are just slightly too many ideas, changes in tone and features. Comes off sounding like a patchwork.

HHNF on the other hand is just a relentlessly driven record. Far more cohesive, competent (they stepped up the verses) and the production is sublime.
The beats are hard, the features fit (Jada, Styles & Fabolous just didn't mesh well on LW) and it has a lot more depth for me.

You ever listen to their first album, Exclusive Audio Footage?

Jada and Loso are better versions of what they want to be..

Lord Willin was rawer HHNF was pretty boring to me... Even artist I don't mess with that much like Wu Tang, I can see and hear and respect how 36 Chambers is a classic and say it is.. but HHNF nope..

It got a listen a long time ago, but can't say I was impressed or remember much.. but can't judge it..

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
New self made 2 track dropping tonight- also, I like that new Omarion lol

It's not bad, at all. I guess Biggie samples are the new thing to use?

That new Pusha T is kinda mehtastic. Malice turned into the better rapper, right before he bowed out.

edit: Who on Earth is he talking about tho?

iavi

That last C 80's track was so good, I almost don't want to click this one.

E: That first half - Unchain Me, was some solid shit. The second half didn't do anything for me.

Kaizer

Banned

It took me a long time to agree with this, but yeah, overall I enjoy Lord Willin more as an overall album. The tone on HHNF is crazy for sure though, some of the best work the Neptunes have ever cooked up.

overcast

New Lupe is good. Was going in wanting to hate it, can't. Trying not to get my hopes up though.

It's still very political, but it has a hip-hop feel (yes that's thanks to the TROY beat).

Blackace

It took me a long time to agree with this, but yeah, overall I enjoy Lord Willin more as an overall album. The tone on HHNF is crazy for sure though, some of the best work the Neptunes have ever cooked up.

My favorite work by the Neptunes was Already Platium

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
HHNF is a classic to me. I haven't really revisited Lord Willin in some time, so I can't even give a real comparison between the two.

When's the Last Time and Grinding are my shit tho. >.>

Blackace

HHNF is a classic to me. I haven't really revisited Lord Willin in some time, so I can't even give a real comparison between the two.

When's the Last Time and Grinding are my shit tho. >.>

I ain't going to lie Grindin is a dope song.. but for being the best song on the album it isn't classic stuff like Nutin but a G thang, CREAM, NY State of mind, Player's Ball (Outkast), This is how we do (for the modern stuff) and so on..

HiResDes

1. The Preface III
2. My Dreams Are Your Nightmares (prod. Woody)
3. Arkham (prod. Woody)
4. Doctor Faustus And The Psycho Disc
5. King Pin & The Rose f. 10 (prod. 6th Sense)
6. Space Ghost Coast To Coast f. Hadji Quest, 10 & ScienZe (prod. Hannibal King)
7. The Big Crunch
8. Mojo Vision (prod. Nefarious!)
9. Mr. Sinister (prod. 2Thumbs Up)
10. The Hellfire Club f. Maffew Ragazino & Kris Kasanova (prod. Omid G)
11. Seeds Of An Ivy
12. Adult Swim/Poison Ivy f. Hiro Honma (prod. Omid G)

...Might be even better than the first, jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom