• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think the majority of their beats sound cheap/terrible. I did like the new hodgy tape though.

Not over-produced kanye enough for you?

Anyway just getting around to dat KRIT. Shits so nice. I'd have to say my 2nd favorite release this year, 1st being HnC.

njean777

Yeah I am enjoying the Krit tape so far only got through about 6 songs before I had to start on my HW, but its great so far. Will be listening to the rest tomorrow.

PBY

Banned
my ninja.
dat Hodgy is the 3rd best release this year so far. Lets see what OFTape Vol. 2 brings.

Im assuming behind KRIT and HnC? I feel the same.

Don't kill me gaf, but I think Wiz's Taylor Allderdice will dethrone one of those three, maybe be the best release of the year so far.

Im assuming behind KRIT and HnC? I feel the same.

Don't kill me gaf, but I think Wiz's Taylor Allderdice will dethrone one of those three, maybe be the best release of the year so far.

I don't think anyone will get to up-in-arms. We already know you have questionable taste.

PBY

Banned
I don't think anyone will get to up-in-arms. We already know you have questionable taste.

I know Rolling Papers wasn't liked by... well anyone but me... but Kush and OJ was def thrown around for tape of the year when it came out. Taylor Allderdice could be Kush and OJ 2.0. Actually, fuck it- I'm calling it, that tape will be nice.

Eh, I know I'm looking forward to it. Mainly because I know it will be catchy most likely, it has juicy j, and I'm hoping that Wiz actually learned from Rolling Papers. I liked his tape with snoop and kush and Oj, so I won't act like I never liked dude's songs.

Here's my thing....I dont give a shit HOW they flip a sample....the way I look at it, if a beat is dope, its dope. Whether they just took a loop and did nothing to it, or if they chopped something up and flipped it around and made thier own thing, or if they recreated samples using instruments (DRE does this alot) or if they took a sample and built the song around it with instruments/other shit (Ye likes to do this sometimes)

As long as it comes out sounding dope...cause in the end, it's about how it sounds as the final product. The skill level of how to create it is pointless if the shit isnt dope, or if it's dope but not something I wanna play over and over.

There are many beats, where it's just a straight loop...BUT that shit works, and is perfect as it is.

You're on point, but from a producers perspective, flipping a sample vs drums over a loop is like sticking the landing a olympic gymnastic flip vs a coming down from a vertical jump. True indeed to the end user it doesn't matter, but as producers we respect the creative process to make a beat unique, as we can relate to the degree of creativity involved in that process.

What sounds good sounds good for sure, but if I can't even recognize the sample or would've envisioned flipping it a certain way, and its dope, I'm losing my shit over the beat.

You're on point, but from a producers perspective, flipping a sample vs drums over a loop is like sticking the landing a olympic gymnastic flip vs a coming down from a vertical jump. True indeed to the end user it doesn't matter, but as producers we respect the creative process to make a beat unique, as we can relate to the degree of creativity involved in that process.

What sounds good sounds good for sure, but if I can't even recognize the sample or would've envisioned flipping it a certain way, and its dope, I'm losing my shit over the beat.

I get that, and I USE to be like that when I got into production, learning how to make beats and seeing how other cats made beats. And the process interested me more and more.

but nowadays, been doing it so long, its like I dont care what went into it as long as what comes out is dope. That's all that matters to me now.

Also, I look at it from a Emcee perspective now, as opposed to a producer's perspective. When I make a beat, or I hear a beat or hear a sample or anything, I always do it from the perspective of wanting to rhyme over it. So...I might hear a sample and think "yo i wanna sample that cause I'd love to spit over that." That's how I approach all beats now. I may flip it, i may not, I may just jack something, or I may really chop shit up and make something new, but in the end, it's something I wanna rhyme over and its from that perspective that I make something.

Recon

Banned

Old and yeah, I realize I can agree with most of what Rosenberg is saying. I love his straight up shit talking that xxl list to the editors faces.

The hell? Kanye isn't in the top 100 producers out right now? Come on guys, seriously with that?

I dont think I could even name 100 producers off the top of my head right now that are hot right now, let alone better than Kanye. Dude is top 20 even if I think his recent output is below par.

PBY

Banned
652801062-1.jpg

http://liluglymane.bandcamp.com/dow...g=242cdbf9cc4b977e2c7d1c97c754523f&type=album

kamspy

I'm a share a little project I been working on with GAF tonight.

I didn't clip the end of the beat so it goes for like a minute after I'm done. Pretty much rough draft status. Just got bored enough to clean it up a little bit. Beat courtesy of Toku.

http://hu.lk/ooqpmoqkmg4o

I do like that track- actually, I liked all the beats on Under the Influence, they didn't sound WolfGang-y.

well....all the beats on under the influence were instrumentals, at least the majority...

and stray bullets wasnt on there, and that's a 2pac beat.

but, the fact they picked those type of beats, shows they got pretty gud tastes in Beats.

DominoKid

even Big Ghostface agrees

big ghost twitter said:
Listened to the Krit mixtape enough times now...best way I can describe it is "cool".

Im sayin theres nothin really mind blowin bout 4eva N A Day n theres nothin wack on it...its jus "cool"

I think Handwriting is definitely the standout joint on 4eva N A Day...a lot of the other tracks jus sound alike to me

4evaNaDay isn't as good as R4 after 1st listen. Not that it's bad, but the middle sort of loses me in its "sameyness." Maybe I'll feel differently after a few more spins.

Handwriting might be my favorite track.

Peter Rosenberg is right about just about everything hip hop related. That XXL list is retarded. Action Bronson and Kendrick had bigger years than anyone on that list. Really the only dope person on there is Danny Brown, who had a huge year; Fool's Good isn't a "big" label but they hyped the shit out of XXX, it lived up to the hype, and led to tons of positive press.

I hate the argument over "lyricism." There's a difference between not being lyrical and being a fucking idiot on the mic. Future can't rap, end of story - it goes beyond simply not being lyrical. Tyga isn't lyrical, but dude can rap.

DominoKid

Future goes too hard in the whip though. Plus he actually has real hits unlike most of the other people in contention for the list.

Acid08

Banned
Is Iggy Azalea anything right now? She has that Pussy song which is god awful, not even catchy like Gucci Gucci.

She got some nice thighs though.

Future is pretty fucking terrible man. Dude just isn't listenable to me at all. He crosses the line where I'd listen to a rapper just because the beat is hot. When Future releases a song, I get excited to hear other rappers rap over this dude's shit, not him. We have gone too far with this dude.
I'm a share a little project I been working on with GAF tonight.

I didn't clip the end of the beat so it goes for like a minute after I'm done. Pretty much rough draft status. Just got bored enough to clean it up a little bit. Beat courtesy of Toku.

http://hu.lk/ooqpmoqkmg4o
are you working on more songs?

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
But again whether they are 'good' or not doesn't negate the fact that there is a great deal of range between the two different styles. I used his other beats as a comparison to show that the beats I posted weren't grounded in his 'usual' R&B/Hip-Hop style. To go back to the Beck track, that and Hey Papi by Jay-Z were made in the same year and are miles apart in every way, which surely goes toward proving that everything he made was not reminiscent of his Hip-Hop beats.
You're right in the sense that he did usher in Hip-Hop sounding motifs to various genres but he then moved beyond and was able to create works in and of themselves with no obvious genre leanings.

Something like this may have similarities to his Hip-Hop work (at a stretch)

Virginia Williams - Without You

but then something like this truly does not sound like a 'Hip-Hop inspired beat' in a similar vein to his previous work

Duran Duran - Skin Divers

Actually being good matters a lot.. I am sure you can go to ANY big producer from Dre to Jermanie Dupree and find that range on the cutting room floor.. having range means being able to do many different things well..

Jay Sosa

Go a block away from Lueders Park

lol

If anything Wiz shit was always nice to bump in the car, especially now that it is finally getting warmer. But I honestly doubt it will be anywhere near the best release 2012. We'll see.

Just saw the list:

MGK? Isn't he just a Yelawolf clone?
And French Montana? Really? Dude has been around for ages and he certainly hasn't gotten any better.

DominoKid

lol

If anything Wiz shit was always nice to bump in the car, especially now that it is finally getting warmer. But I honestly doubt it will be anywhere near the best release 2012. We'll see.

Just saw the list:

MGK? Isn't he just a Yelawolf clone?

And French Montana? Really? Dude has been around for ages and he certainly hasn't gotten any better.

not even close.

Yeah they're not similar at all. Only in skin color.

MGK's pretty shit though. Only song of his I can bump is Wild Boy and that's 95% the beat other 5% Flocka Pow-pow-pow-pow

wtf. How is anything MGK's rapped similar to Trunk Muzik?

DominoKid

the brats that come to our parties have ruined Wild Boy for me cause they hijack the stereo to play it damn near every other song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom