• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

So... It looks like I'm going to Soundset this year. Lineup looks solid.
http://www.soundsetfestival.com/#section-4

Atmosphere / Lupe Fiasco / Ghostface Killah & Raekwon / Kendrick Lamar / Aesop Rock w/ Rob Sonic & DJ Big Wiz / P.O.S / Macklemore & Ryan Lewis / Danny Brown / Big K.R.I.T. / Evidence / Prof with Dj Fundo / Action Bronson / DJ Premier / I Self Devine / Astronautalis / Bambu / J-Zone (DJ Set) / Medusa / Chief Kamachi / Grynch / Chuuwee / Paten Locke & Willie Evans Jr are DUMBTRON / Villa Rosa (Muja Messiah & Maria Isa) / The Tribe & Big Cats Play Track / Audio Perm / Long Doe (Tony Bones, Big Wiz, & Mike The Martyr) / Auddio Draggon (Gene Poole & Xilam Bilam) / Tomorrow Genius / BdotCroc / DJ Stage One / DJ Kool AKIEM / LAST WORD / Kid Cut Up / Superbrush427 / DIVINCI (of Solillaquists of Sound) / Los Boogie

Hosted By Brother Ali, MaLLy & J Pratt

Holy shit. Jealous.

Beaulieu

Here are 7 instrumental albums from Kenl-O, once of the dopest beatmaker from my region.

Click on the image for download

Pink is his latest.
edit : seems to have problem downloading pink, the others are fine.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Not exactly a flop. Not exactly huge numbers either. Cudi's probably happy.

I still haven't given it a listen. After hearing that track that was posted here a while back I lost all interest.

Edit: What the fuck, listening to some tracks off the album on Youtube. This shit is absolute garbage. What the fuck Cudi.

JackEtc

I know all the KRIT talk is pretty much done, and I've already said that I like the tape, but
In love with the new tape. I don't think this tape is supposed to be about "bangers" and rousing pre-game choruses. I feel like it's built for late night discussions and contemplating life. Stuff like that. I do enjoy how hopeful this is.
Krit tape is some long ride home contemplating your life type shit, real soulful.
both these posts nail it. Yesterday afternoon when I downloaded the mixtape and was listening to it in my room, just sitting there, it was good. But that's all it was, good. Nothing super special. Last night some shit happened to really close friend of mine that resulted with me being woken up by a call from a sobbing her at 3AM. I woke up with it still on my mind, and decided to play the tape in my car while I drove to school and thought about it, and Krit just clicked with me. Just the different mindset made the tape go from good to awesome for me.

Can't stop listening to it now.

T Dollarz

I know all the KRIT talk is pretty much done, and I've already said that I like the tape, but

both these posts nail it. Yesterday afternoon when I downloaded the mixtape and was listening to it in my room, just sitting there, it was good. But that's all it was, good. Nothing super special. Last night some shit happened to really close friend of mine that resulted with me being woken up by a call from a sobbing her at 3AM. I woke up with it still on my mind, and decided to play the tape in my car while I drove to school and thought about it, and Krit just clicked with me. Just the different mindset made the tape go from good to awesome for me.

Can't stop listening to it now.

That's an awesome story. Glad to hear that you're enjoying it. I feel the same, don't know how people could be disappointed with it or call it average. It's sounds just like his past two tapes to me, but even more soulful and i dig it.

Listening to WZRD for the first time now. God help me.

So lets discuss some real shit here.
I was riding around, listening to the radio the other day (yeah, I know), and a segment came up between songs featuring Snoop and talking about what he thinks Hip-Hop would be like today if Pac and Biggie were still alive.
Yeah, I know, this is a bit of a tired subject but I'm interested in hearing what GAF-Hop thinks.
Would shit be way different if Pac and Biggie never died?
Snoop says that their deaths were pretty much meant to happen, that it had to happen as a message. He also said that if they were still on that murder murder kill kill shit things wouldn't be much different, but if they had changed their message over to love (something they both were doing towards the end of the lives) that Hip-Hop would be incredibly different.

kamspy

I was riding around, listening to the radio the other day (yeah, I know), and a segment came up between songs featuring Snoop and talking about what he thinks Hip-Hop would be like today if Pac and Biggie were still alive.
Yeah, I know, this is a bit of a tired subject but I'm interested in hearing what GAF-Hop thinks.
Snoop says that their deaths were pretty much meant to happen, that it had to happen as a message. He also said that if they were still on that murder murder kill kill shit things wouldn't be much different, but if they had changed their message over to love (something they both were doing towards the end of the lives) that Hip-Hop would be incredibly different.

Pac is a wild card. I think he really had a chance of by a catalyst for social change. Biggie would have dropped more great CDs and possibly dropped into mild obscurity with the changing times. Now Puffy, where would he be, that's a good one.

I can't even speculate on Pac not dying because it's such a wildcard on more than just a musical level, but Big being alive wouldn't have really steered hip hop any differently I don't think. Maybe some of the beef wouldn't have been so popular. But man....Watch the Throne with BIG, Ye and Jay? That shit would be cray. 2pac fucking with TDE? feed me that in an IV.

Pretty loaded question. I'd say the game would be much more lyrical and maybe not as club-focused. Other than than, I really don't know. Pac would have gone to Hollywood for good either way.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

Neither were really changing their message much... If they squashed their beef and released an album together that would have changed the rap world... If they lived the stupid coast beef would have continued..

Blackace

Pac is a wild card. I think he really had a chance of by a catalyst for social change. Biggie would have dropped more great CDs and possibly dropped into mild obscurity with the changing times. Now Puffy, where would he be, that's a good one.

I can't even speculate on Pac not dying because it's such a wildcard on more than just a musical level, but Big being alive wouldn't have really steered hip hop any differently I don't think. Maybe some of the beef wouldn't have been so popular. But man....Watch the Throne with BIG, Ye and Jay? That shit would be cray. 2pac fucking with TDE? feed me that in an IV.

Pac to sign with YMCM

Mangotron

I think the violent aspect of hip hop came from rapping not being fully established as a career. There was much more active involvement with gangs at that time, and there's danger that comes along with that, you still see it in the super-underground elements of hip hop though. I think Pac and Biggie changed their messages because they realized that they could rise above that influence.

As far as their careers, I have full confidence that they would be in the same boat as Nas/ Jay-Z. It's impossible for someone to have a perfect career, and everyone would be bitching and pining for their "old sound" just like they do with the rappers we still have.

Esch

Banned
Big living prevents Jay-Z from ever rising to the heights of popularity that he did. Big puts out a good junior effort, the rest of his discography ends up being middling, and then he moves into a sort of relationship with Bad Boy that Wayne and Birdman are in now. He tries branching out into business and fashion stuff with puffy. they do OK.

Pac moves into activism and movies from music slowly but surely. stuns the hip hop world by coming out as the worlds first openly gay rapper. The game of the early 2000's is changed forever.

KuGsj.gif

Blackace

Big living prevents Jay-Z from ever rising to the heights of popularity that he did. Big puts out a good junior effort, the rest of his discography ends up being middling, and then he moves into a sort of relationship with Bad Boy that Wayne and Birdman are in now. He tries branching out into business and fashion stuff with puffy. they do OK.

Pac moves into activism and movies from music slowly but surely. stuns the hip hop world by coming out as the worlds first openly gay rapper. The game of the early 2000's is changed forever.

KuGsj.gif

It's like a joke but not funny..

Personally I don't think the game would be TOO different, but its fun to think about.
Big probably would have eventually realize Puff was a fucking leech, and the same for Pac and Suge. Then who knows wtf would have happened.

Esch

Banned
Personally I don't think the game would be TOO different, but its fun to think about.
Big probably would have eventually realize Puff was a fucking leech, and the same for Pac and Suge. Then who knows wtf would have happened.

Jokes aside, i think it really would be pretty different. Beefs would continue to be very aggressive, Jay-Z would have been a completely different character, the east and west coast may have maintained a strong rivalry well into the 00s(leaving less space for the midwest and south), and both guys would have continued to sell like gangbusters. Big's time in the limelight was real short, and pac still had some gas in him as well. The game would be completely different IMO. Especially that shitty period in the mid 00s.

Blackace

I think Puffy actually paid Big at least..

And the only thing that was good about the deaths of Pac and Biggie was that the Outlawz and Jr Maifia stopped getting airplay..

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™

KuGsj.gif

gCWRz.gif

KuGsj.gif

So if Pac lived... PD would have killed himself? What a twist.

Curren$y definitely had a sub-par tape or two in between the Pilot Talks and Covert Coupe; Return to the Winner's circle, I think.

I'm not counting mixtapes. Mixtapes are for artists to fuck around and/or promote upcoming albums.
Or gain a buzz then sell out once they're signed.

iavi

I'm not counting mixtapes. Mixtapes are for artists to fuck around and/or promote upcoming albums.
Or gain a buzz then sell out once they're signed.

But then Covert Coupe doesn't count. Keeping the game to all releases gets rid of that headache.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Cudi, no (wasn't a fan of MOTM 2), but I would agree with Cole.
well there are people who thought MOTM2 was better than one. i for one liked 2 (not more than 1) so cudi yes in genreal, but no for you.

Thursday wasnt a good album. That shit was just alright.

you shut your whore mouth.
Like the new Big KRIT album but he has some of the most elementary hooks I've ever heard

not gonna lie. i am fine with that. as long as he cand ride a good beat, i am fine. i am not much of a southeren buff so my opinion doesn't really matter.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
K.R.I.T.'s latest hasn't sunk in with me yet.

If I were to review it right now (only listened to it once), I'd say The Alarm is aptly named because it does a good job at waking you up from all the slumber that comes before it. One spin in and it's the only standout track. I feel like each new release from K.R.I.T. has less memorable tracks.

But then Covert Coupe doesn't count. Keeping the game to all releases gets rid of that headache.

Covert Coup was an EP that was supposed to get a retail release but the sample didn't clear or someshit.
But fine.

The Weeknd sucks. Its just 90s R&B with whatever you call Drake songs.

iavi

Covert Coup was an EP that was supposed to get a retail release but the sample didn't clear or someshit.
But fine.

I definitely see your point though. Like you said, in one corner you have the artists that do mess around/experiment on free tapes, but in the other corner you have the ones that say to just call their tapes albums, 'since they're of deserved quality' or something like that. The whole classification's gotten messy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom