• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

I got the feeling that banner is having a bit of a moral crisis listening to the mixtape though. One minute he's talking about how disgusted he is with rappers celebrating misogyny, drugs, and violence...then the next he's talking about fucking bitches and leaving people dead in the woods.

The mixtape really shows you how varied of a producer he has become though. I am especially impressed with his ability to have that nice deep bass without it being distorted or do nothing but rattle everything in the car. Not a lot of producers (I noticed Krit has this skill too) seem to nail that bass, you end up with it overwhelming everything else. I guess whomever is mastering the tracks deserves a lot of credit too. I can crank up a banner or krit song though and never feel like the bass is going to rattle my car apart at the seams. Blow out a few windows though perhaps.
LFTU sounds great. I'm guessing KRIT mastered that too?

Esch

Banned
Only people I can think of off the top of my head would be Ye and maybe Cudi.

And Eminem could, but who knows about the quality.

so for two rappers who could carry an album dolo you picked...

two guys who are making music that barely qualifies as rap...
and are lightweight spittas?

358mfg.jpg

Man I think Schoolboy Q is on another level than ASAP Rocky. They're both entertaining but at least Q has some variety in his songs. And he switches up flows sometimes too.

I got the feeling that banner is having a bit of a moral crisis listening to the mixtape though. One minute he's talking about how disgusted he is with rappers celebrating misogyny, drugs, and violence...then the next he's talking about fucking bitches and leaving people dead in the woods.

The mixtape really shows you how varied of a producer he has become though. I am especially impressed with his ability to have that nice deep bass without it being distorted or do nothing but rattle everything in the car. Not a lot of producers (I noticed Krit has this skill too) seem to nail that bass, you end up with it overwhelming everything else. I guess whomever is mastering the tracks deserves a lot of credit too. I can crank up a banner or krit song though and never feel like the bass is going to rattle my car apart at the seams. Blow out a few windows though perhaps.

No, haha, he plainly admitted he made those tracks because at the end of the day people want to be entertained. How could he do his movement or whatever with just those type of tracks?

Macca

Or Banner mastered it.. Don't know who does their mastering.. I assume they use the same person/people..
Krit said on one of his tracks he produces and mixes his own shit, but that was on a mixtape. I'm wondering if he got someone in for the debut or not. Either way, sounds great.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
seriously, just the most mediocre shit. honestly the whole tape just sounds llike some average ass trap you could cop on datpiff anyday

as for the carrying an entire album alone.... What rapper could in today's game? Besides maybe Kendrick.

This is where I fear our opinions diverge. I don't think Kendrick carried an entire album alone, section80 was a 6/10, maybe 7 on a good day. But whatever.
Krit can carry an entire album alone, but again, you won't agree.
And of course my favorite band has been doing it for almost two decades, but I won't even go there.

TDE in general is best when they are making weird shit. Druggy's with hoes, Cartoons and Cereal. If I got an album of just that kind of shit from them, I'd have a album of the year contender. When they try to get serious, I just tune out.

Esch

Banned
Man I think Schoolboy Q is on another level than ASAP Rocky. They're both entertaining but at least Q has some variety in his songs. And he switches up flows sometimes too.

Rocky has different flows. just depends whether he's in the mood to swag rap or copy paste from the combat manuals of bone thugs or ugk.

i cant fuck with hipster/weird tde much... i dont like it unless its on some joke shit like Say Wassup

Macca

so for two rappers who could carry an album dolo you picked...

two guys who are making music that barely qualifies as rap...
and are lightweight spittas?

358mfg.jpg
I don't think it really matters if they spit well or not. I just think those guys can be varied enough to carry a whole album.

To be fair I don't think any of them would put out albums like that, I just think they could.

HiResDes

Rocky operates in one lane well, which is hard in of itself...But Schoolboy Q encompasses so a multifaceted, multi-directional approach to gangsta rap that both transcends the genre and complements it as well. There's nothing hipster about TDE, that's just a silly word to describe a lane you don't understand, and as a group TDE is ridiculously varied.

siddx

Kanye is one of the weakest rappers out. There is no way he could carry an entire album by himself. I won't even get all kanye troll, ill just be honest, the guy can still find that producer genius spark, but he can't rap his way out of a plastic bag. His verses are embarrassing as fuck.

Esch

Banned
Rocky operates in one lane well, which is hard in of itself...But Schoolboy Q encompasses so a multifaceted, multi-directional approach to gangsta rap that both transcends the genre and complements it as well. There's nothing hipster about TDE, that's just a silly word to describe a lane you don't understand.

their name is black hippy

dont condescend to me.

Kanye is one of the weakest rappers out. There is no way he could carry an entire album by himself. I won't even get all kanye troll, ill just be honest, the guy can still find that producer genius spark, but he can't rap his way out of a plastic bag. His verses are embarrassing as fuck.
You gotta give him an A for heart/charisma though, and at least he has a unique delivery

I've been saying this since his no talent ass first popped up. Keef is fucking garbage.

Asap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Schoolboy. Asap is entertaining, Schoolboy can't even carry an entire album alone.

Where is this Asap album that he carried alone? Hopefully his next will let him do that. Fuck keef.

Esch

Banned
No, but in many ways that counterculture was the father of this one.

At the very least i think you can say there is a definite 'indie'/underground/plaid and skinnyjeans feel to a lot of TDE work. Its not a bad thing, its part of what makes them refreshing.

btw im watching The Wire for the first time, sucking me in like a cheap vegas whore.

siddx

You think TDE is more skinny jean hip than Rocky?...Hmm

They're both skinny jean hipster, if they were around in the 90's they'd get dangled off some fucking balconies.
Which is why I don't watch their videos, it's hard to enjoy someone's music when I want to set them on fire and fuck their corpse with my hatred.

Grzi

Rick Ross is better than Nas and Kool G Rap, better beat selection bra,

He does make better music than either of them has made in the past decade, nothing wrong with saying that, the fact that they made classics in the '90s doesn't negate the fact that they couldn't replicate that quality again, while Ross, as dumb as it may sound, keeps improving as a rapper constantly.

Sounds like a lot of old school heads like what they heard, which is a good sign given the standard he's held to by them/us. I hope we get more detailed reports soon outside of "omg dat Swizz beat!"

RJT

Isn't mirrors edge on Everybody's Nobody? Or is there a track that mentions it on zero heroes too?

Oh shit. He has a track called Mirror's Edge? I got to find that.

I was refering to "All for me", where he says:

"Could someone tell me who this is all for /
and why I’m on the mirrors edge running on walls for?"

Jay Sosa

i gotta be honest feeling david banners mixtape more than lftu even

is it more like crooked lettaz or his crappy recent stuff.

They're both skinny jean hipster, if they were around in the 90's they'd get dangled off some fucking balconies.
Which is why I don't watch their videos, it's hard to enjoy someone's music when I want to set them on fire and fuck their corpse with my hatred.

? TDE is anything but hipster, everytime I see any of them they wear some no name hoodie, cons and gold chains. They all look like some generic wc kids. And besides it's awfully stupid to dislike someone musical output because of their looks. Not that I don't agree that skinny jeans look incredibly stupid (especially when you're not skinny) or people that wear scarfs or beanies indoors (especially when it's hot) should be beaten severely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom