• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Cuz man. You're supposed to know things like TM101 is a timeless classic. As GAF HOP mod is like required knowledge.

I disliked Jeezy a lot when he hit the scene.. His flow was broke and his wordplay was elementary when he got rid of Gucci that changed a lot..TR is a classic and TM102 was close..

Blackace

He is already wrong about E40, he doesnt need to be more wrong.

sigh... a lot of people mess with 40 water, but I guess you just have to hate whenever you get a chance. I suppose I would be salty too if my favorite rappers were lames..

Alright preciate the recommendations. Think I'll start when Predator first since it has the single that I know the most and heard a bit of death certificate(not sure if I'll be used to this immediately).

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah I can still fuck with DC but a lot of topics like Black Korea and other things are so dated and just plain wrong.. lol

lol black korea and the anti semitic stuff is definitely eye raising, but the production holds up in my opinion. AMW sounded like a late 80's rap album. DC sounded like a modern west coast album. The sampling, the flow of the album, the absolute viciousness cube spits with. I remember making people very uncomfortable blasting "giving up the nappy dugout" in the car with the windows down in town. I was such an inconsiderate dick when I was younger.

Alright preciate the recommendations. Think I'll start when Predator first since it has the single that I know the most and heard a bit of death certificate(not sure if I'll be used to this immediately).

I actually thought Predator was a step back production wise and holds up far worse than DC. Still a great album though.
If you find yourself liking AMW/DC/Predator cube, make sure to get Da Lench Mob's "guerillas in tha mist". Same feel, cube is all over it, and it's a great album. Very aggressive though. Don't bother with their second album though, it's terrible.

Recon

Banned
sigh... a lot of people mess with 40 water, but I guess you just have to hate whenever you get a chance. I suppose I would be salty too if my favorite rappers were lames..

But 40 is lame? You know I just do it to fuck with you. You get your jabs at my favs a lot, and since I agree with a lot of your opinions, this is my only time to do it.

tmdorsey

Aquemini has too many bad tracks to be great.. while the few tracks I like on it are OMG OUTKAST quality the rest are meh to wtf is this shit..

NUFF SAID

(who says that?)

IMO Cube didn't release a bad album until Peace..

and Letal Injection might be the shakiest of the batch

Too many bad tracks? I will admit the album has probably the worst Outkast song ever created in Mamacita, but what other tracks would you call bad?

Nuff Said is kinda old school. lol

Blackace

lol black korea and the anti semitic stuff is definitely eye raising, but the production holds up in my opinion. AMW sounded like a late 80's rap album. DC sounded like a modern west coast album. The sampling, the flow of the album, the absolute viciousness cube spits with. I remember making people very uncomfortable blasting "giving up the nappy dugout" in the car with the windows down in town. I was such an inconsiderate dick when I was younger.

Yeah, the flow of the album is nuts.. people don't make albums like that anymore.. Bird in the Hand and Man's Best Friend are so damn good...

iavi

talking bout 40 water, that monster release is right around the corner. I'm banking on at least 2 of those 3 cds being slappers. Function wasn't the best, but it went.

Recon

Banned
talking bout 40 water, that monster release is right around the corner. I'm banking on at least 2 of those 3 cds being slappers.

Fuck that, I will take a ban bet that if Food and Liquor 2 drops this year, shit will be the best thing to ever happen.

Blackace

But 40 is lame? You know I just do it to fuck with you. You get your jabs at my favs a lot, and since I agree with a lot of your opinions, this is my only time to do it.

40 water stopped Birdman and Lil Weezy from gettiong chopped in the Bay.. no one would have called J.Cole for something like that.. 40 water has street cred.. If you don't like his style that's cool.. but a lame? pfft.... that's for hover hand cole

I know.. I just like how it comes from LF..

kamspy

Wow. TM101 is like, more than an album. It's an era and everyone was in on it. Like I said, 12 months of NIP hype for everyone I knew. Dude just blew up so quick and so hard. Only thing comparable in recent memory was 50 Cent's rise, and it lost it's luster really quick. Jeezy still get's love from every facet of the game.

Predator should do pretty well. If you feel like the BPMs are still a little to high go to Lethal Injection, get a feeling for Cube's personality and then go backward. Lethal Injection gets shit on for no reason. What's the bad track on LI people?

Recon

Banned
40 water stopped Birdman and Lil Weezy from gettiong chopped in the Bay.. no one would have called J.Cole for something like that.. 40 water has street cred.. If you don't like his style that's cool.. but a lame? pfft.... that's for hover hand cole

Dude still rhymes like he is gargling balls. Thats PD style rap.

tmdorsey

Cube's delivery was unparalleled. AMW has a special place in my heart just for the rapping and the stories told in some of the songs.

Talk about making people be uncomfortable. I remember me and my cousin blasting BOSS sitting in 4th of July traffic while families were walking on the sidewalks next to us. Haha.

I heard this song earlier on the radio with 50 cent(huge wtf feature to me). I'm assuming these guys are from the bay.

and I was thinking how hilarious it would be if Bay music became popular on radio, you'd basically have to thank young money for that(Drake and Tyga mostly).

Also, I finally got to that Graveyard shift album and that 43 song is my shit. I haven't listened to it that much, but just played that track a lot. love the beat.

lmao

Recon

Banned
Wow. TM101 is like, more than an album. It's an era and everyone was in on it. Like I said, 12 months of NIP hype for everyone I knew. Dude just blew up so quick and so hard. Only thing comparable in recent memory was 50 Cent's rise, and it lost it's luster really quick. Jeezy still get's love from every facet of the game.

Lol 50 Cent. Is there a bigger meteoric rise and fall? I mean, dude killed Ja's career only to become Ja 2.0, but with vitamin water money.

siddx

Cube's delivery was unparalleled. AMW has a special place in my heart just for the rapping and the stories told in some of the songs.

Talk about making people be uncomfortable. I remember me and my cousin blasting BOSS sitting in 4th of July traffic while families were walking on the sidewalks next to us. Haha.

haha this is the same exact circumstance I was blasting Death Certificate. My sister and cousin finally asked me to turn it down because of all the looks we were getting.

Blackace

Too many bad tracks? I will admit the album has probably the worst Outkast song ever created in Mamacita, but what other tracks would you call bad?

Nuff Said is kinda old school. lol

Return if the G

Rosa Parks

Aquemini

Da Art of Storytellin'

are the only songs I liked...

Sorry dude I can only tell you what I feel... Also I don't remember TM101 getting nationwide love like that...

I respect the shit out of Jeezy now, and like the album even... but I can only call it like I see it..

that I have flawfree taste

ibzPGMfuPyoen8.gif

808 & Heartbreak > MBDTF > Graduation > College Dropout > Late Registration

my favs: Power, Diamonds, all of 808 & heartbreak, Flashing Lights, NCITW

god damn Christina was so hot. Just a little work and she'll be back in form. CAN'T WAIT

siddx

I seem to remember reading some story about Biggie almost getting his shit stomped in Oakland because 40 was pissed about something he said and the city was ready to tear him apart. Biggie ended up having to kiss some ass and smooth things over with 40 just to do business in that area.

I remember TM101 having a lot of buzz, which I didn't understand at all, never liked the dude. But I have a friend who has worshiped jeezy since that album.

Recon

Banned
Return if the G

Rosa Parks

Aquemini

Da Art of Storytellin'

Sorry dude I can only tell you what I feel... Also I don't remember TM101 getting nationwide love like that...

I respect the shit out of Jeezy now, and like the album even... but I can only call it like I see it..

TM101 really didnt. Might have in certain areas, but I know a lot of people who felt like his flow was a joke. I remember everyone imitating it, saying stupid shit. I was just indifferent to it, but have come to like some jeezy here and there.

Blackace

Whatever you and PD do that's on you..

But40 goes hard.. you just have to listen.

I have put a lot of my NY peeps onto him and now most of tell me.. I wasn't listening to what he was saying just his style.. now I am listening and the dude be saying some shit..

"I ain't rapping too fast/y'all just listenin too slow!"

I seem to remember reading some story about Biggie almost getting his shit stomped in Oakland because 40 was pissed about something he said and the city was ready to tear him apart. Biggie ended up having to kiss some ass and smooth things over with 40 just to do business in that area.

I remember TM101 having a lot of buzz, which I didn't understand at all, never liked the dude. But I have a friend who has worshiped jeezy since that album.

yeah, I believe biggie said he was garbage? I can't remember exactly but this documentary I watched recently talked about it and I was like damn. Actually the guys could of shot his ass where he was but they let him talk to 40 or something. I'll have to watch it again but that's what I recall.

Blackace

talking bout 40 water, that monster release is right around the corner. I'm banking on at least 2 of those 3 cds being slappers. Function wasn't the best, but it went.

Can't wait for them.. then I can do a mega 40 water mix!

tmdorsey

Return if the G

Rosa Parks

Aquemini

Da Art of Storytellin'

Other than Mamacita, I would call the other songs you didn't list average to meh probably EXCEPT

You didn't like West Savannah (ok technically this probably should have been on Southern, but still....) or gasp Spottieotti?! "Who else wanna fuck with Hollywood Court?"

siddx

Whatever you and PD do that's on you..

But40 goes hard.. you just have to listen.

I have put a lot of my NY peeps onto him and now most of tell me.. I wasn't listening to what he was saying just his style.. now I am listening and the dude be saying some shit..

"I ain't rapping too fast/y'all just listenin too slow!"

40's problem is that for every banger he has 2 or 3 throwaway garbage tracks that sound like he did them on a whim without any effort. So it can be hard for first time listeners to shift through it all and find the really fantastic tracks.

Blackace

Other than Mamacita, I would call the other songs you didn't list average to meh probably EXCEPT

You didn't like West Savannah (ok technically this probably should have been on Southern, but still....) or gasp Spottieotti?! "Who else wanna fuck with Hollywood Court?"

So you call the other songs average to meh but it is a GREAT album?

Blackace

40's problem is that for every banger he has 2 or 3 throwaway garbage tracks that sound like he did them on a whim without any effort. So it can be hard for first time listeners to shift through it all and find the really fantastic tracks.

I can't disagree that he tends to make a lot of filler from time to time..

But being a huge fan there is only one BAD album from him to me and that is Hall of Game.

TM101 really didnt. Might have in certain areas, but I know a lot of people who felt like his flow was a joke. I remember everyone imitating it, saying stupid shit. I was just indifferent to it, but have come to like some jeezy here and there.

Mostly in the south(Atlanta the most). It was like the rise of Gucci Mane and Jeezy basically and there were quite a few who basically copied Jeezy like crazy. Rocko off the top of my head.

tmdorsey

So you call the other songs average to meh but it is a GREAT album?

Even though those songs are average they flow in context of the album as a whole if that makes sense. For example on a long car ride, I can listen to the whole album except for Mamacita. That coupled with the good songs being great to classics average out to a great album to me. lol.

siddx

I can't disagree that he tends to make a lot of filler from time to time..

But being a huge fan there is only one BAD album from him to me and that is Hall of Game.

Never heard hall of game actually, I jumped from In a major way to Charlie Hustle (which I wasn't fond of at the time but appreciate more now). It's not that he makes bad albums, its that some of his albums could have used some more time in the studio. The Revenue Retrieving albums for instance. Those 4 albums could have been condensed into 2 ridiculously good albums. I went through and made a playlist of the best stuff from overtime and graveyard to try and make it into one album and it turned out so good I slapped my mother in the face. I'm talking modern classic good.

If you give someone who has never heard Outkast both Aquemini and ATLiens and told them to listen to it and take a guess on which album is older.

I'm pretty sure most would say Aquemini. It's definitely a good album and they are delivering great verses even on the bad hook songs, but I honestly can't mess with quite a few of the beats on there.

Blackace

and ironically it's my favorite 40 album.

I have heard that from a number of people who aren't big fans of him.. I think it is the most accessable album for lack of a better word...

siddx

If you give someone who has never heard Outkast both Aquemini and ATLiens and told them to listen to it and take a guess on which album is older.

I'm pretty sure most would say Aquemini. It's definitely a good album and they are delivering great verses even on the bad hook songs, but I honestly can't mess with quite a few of the beats on there.

I hated ATLiens when it first came out. I wanted more southernplayalistic type stuff and it just didn't sound anything like the outkast I had been obsessed with. It was until years later I grew to love the album. I remember loving the drawing of the naked girl on the CD though. For a 14 year old boy, that shit was exciting lol.

Blackace

Never heard hall of game actually, I jumped from In a major way to Charlie Hustle (which I wasn't fond of at the time but appreciate more now). It's not that he makes bad albums, its that some of his albums could have used some more time in the studio. The Revenue Retrieving albums for instance. Those 4 albums could have been condensed into 2 ridiculously good albums. I went through and made a playlist of the best stuff from overtime and graveyard to try and make it into one album and it turned out so good I slapped my mother in the face. I'm talking modern classic good.

It's just that the dude makes an album in like a week..lol

Yeah the overtime albums were better.. but if he took the best off of all 4 he could have had a classic double album..

kamspy

I have heard that from a number of people who aren't big fans of him.. I think it is the most accessable album for lack of a better word...

That's a good way to put it. In a Major Way and Federal would be REALLY close behind, but when I go to E-40 I go to Hall of Game, or actually The Click - Game Related

siddx

Speaking of Kast, Big Boi's new album needs to drop yesterday goddamnit. And how was Idlewild? I actually never listened to it since I didn't enjoy the singles I heard and was still feeling burnt by speakerboxx/love below

I hated ATLiens when it first came out. I wanted more southernplayalistic type stuff and it just didn't sound anything like the outkast I had been obsessed with. It was until years later I grew to love the album. I remember loving the drawing of the naked girl on the CD though. For a 14 year old boy, that shit was exciting lol.

haha, albums with naked chicks on them are the best.. It's too far back for me to remember what albums were they, but i just remember my uncles having a lot of crazy album covers, but then again that was a lot of early 90s albums most of the time.

Blackace

That's a good way to put it. In a Major Way and Federal would be REALLY close behind, but when I go to E-40 I go to Hall of Game, or actually The Click - Game Related

Federal has the raw (TM101) feel to it. Carlos Rossi.. Let em have it.. just grimy dope stuff..

Game Related underrated as FUCK

Hot Ones Echo..

Blackace

Speaking of Kast, Big Boi's new album needs to drop yesterday goddamnit. And how was Idlewild? I actually never listened to it since I didn't enjoy the singles I heard and was still feeling burnt by speakerboxx/love below

Ildewild was crap... really bad...

only song I remember from the album.

Hollywood Divorce

I honestly don't think I listened to it many times.. maybe like 5 times haha.

DominoKid

i thought Idlewild was pretty good. but IIRC everything after Hollywood Divorce is all stuff for the movie, so i never really counted those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom