• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Meek Mill high notes withstanding, Gunplay is the best thing in MMG right now. That's not just some "Toku rooting for underdog" shit either. He's hungry and it shows. Dude can actually spit lyrics, but has the energy of flocka to back up those big luger-esque beats.

Macca

I wonder what the reasoning behind Self Made 2 dropping only a month before God Forgives is. Ross must be pretty confident in his ability to sell albums.

Dereck

Man how can we not have some Big Sean inspired Twitter name?
That album cover with him 'shopped in is still the funniest thing I've seen here.

@OhIsThatYourGirl?
@BOI

Oh yeah, Pharrell and Earl Sweatshirt cooked up some shit:
It seems like he's been working with just about everyone lately even though he has yet to announce anything.

Grzi

Gunplay's verse opened the track for a good reason.

He killed it, didn't care about anyone, not even Kendrick after that.
Dat charisma.

It seems like he's been working with just about everyone lately even though he has yet to announce anything.

Tell me about it. He was in with most of Odd Future too recently:

16272494323a675d76c026ce6984ed91e8c2b763.jpg

16272463a268acfd4d70357f925df316e83bd7b7.jpg

and then Earl went in for some separate solo sessions.
Worth noting that Chad Hugo is in there producing too, so they will actually be Neptunes beats.
I'd love them two to drop another Clones-esque compilation.

HiResDes

Meek Mill high notes withstanding, Gunplay is the best thing in MMG right now. That's not just some "Toku rooting for underdog" shit either. He's hungry and it shows. Dude can actually spit lyrics, but has the energy of flocka to back up those big luger-esque beats.

I agree with this.

Mayhem Lauren's joint drops tomorrow.

Dat charisma.

Can't agree with that

Macca

Edit: Also how much better would the MMG album be without Stalley, I've seriously grown to hate the guy.
Yea, Stalley bores the shit outta me. I agree with Toku, they need to use Gunplay more, I still bump Bogota Rich. Jump Out is fucking amazing.

How many people have listened on Self Made 2? Haven't seen much talk about it...

HiResDes

Stalley ruins Fountain of Youth, which would have been a great song with an added Gunplay verse instead. Or even better All Birds and Black Magic with added Gunplay verses, that would be flawless.

Guilty pleasure of the album - M.I.A.

I haven't heard it yet but MMG kind of bores me these days aside from Gunplay obviously.

Meek Mill has fun songs and Rick Ross has been improving but I feel burnt out on it. As expected Power Circle is the Gunplay and Kendrick song.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Jeez, Kendrick simply embarrassed everyone on Power Circle. I would've been back in the booth leveling up after hearing his shit.

Macca

I didn't realize it at the time, but Wiz has the exact same facial expression in the profile photo as U God in the background.

Jeez, Kendrick simply embarrassed everyone on Power Circle. I would've been back in the booth leveling up after hearing his shit.

I know somebody who thinks it was nothing special. Also his favorite rappers at the moment are Wale and Mac Miller :/

lool wow that BallaBalla twitter account is following U-God.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Chris Brown would win against a chair or a chick with a giant forehead giving him an easy target. Anyone else is whooping on him.
Doesn't drake have several inches and quite a bit of weight on him? Clearly he'd be the one doing the hair pulling and scratching while chris brown did the pinching and crying.

Chris Brown would win against a chair or a chick with a giant forehead giving him an easy target. Anyone else is whooping on him.
Doesn't drake have several inches and quite a bit of weight on him? Clearly he'd be the one doing the hair pulling and scratching while chris brown did the pinching and crying.

lol

Esch

Banned
Id put my money on c breezy in a fight honestly, and thats not just cause im a huge hater of drizzy drake. Judging from their behavior i'd have to. Say what you will about c breezy being a puss or whatever for hitting rihanna, but he seems significantly more physically aggressive than Drake ever has, and that includes his cousins and crew (whom i recall running up on frank). In fact how the whole fight went down tells the tale of the tape. C breezy went right up there and got in drake's panties and the guy sicced his entourage on chris. that tells you all you need to know about who would be the aggressor in a fight. Size minutiae tend to matter less in a fight between two unskilled people anyway, ill throw my money down on the guy with the willingness to hurt in a contest between non-athletes.

RJT

Dat charisma.

I'm sorry, but Kendrick is on another level. Gunplay comes close, everyone else is meh.

ecurbj

Hey bros. I know this question might be out there and random as shit but I'm going to have some balls and admit it. I haven't really dived deep into rap. Granted growing up under my Mom Dukes roof. I was beatin' in the head with nothing but Gospel music. My Mom (Black) is an hardcore fundamental Christian. My Pops (white and Puerto Rican) was more into the hip hop, latino music. My parents were seperate growing up. So anything not Gospel music my Mom kept out her house. I'm 24 and recently now that I have been of age and made choices for myself and totally eliminated all that religious nonsense.

I want to get into some hip hop. The real meat of hip hop. Not the modern mainstream. Granted I got into this type of hip hop because I was surrounded by it through the peeps I hang with. So I'm familiar with mainstream shit like Drake (my avatar), Kanye, Jay-Z, B.o.B., Lil Wayne, Big K.R.I.T. and I recently picked up some serious hip hop legends like Biggie Smalls first album and Big Pun first album. I've been nodding to both of their albums for a minute now.

Listening to 808s & Heartbreak right now. I'm really liking this album by him.

All in all. I wanted to know if you guys can give me some recommendations for underground or past underground hip hop artists work that was on some beast mode and not some of the weak sauce shit that happens when these hip hop artists go mainstream.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to be diverse as possible. I like all genres. Be country, hip hop, pop, R&B, jazz, songwriter, alternative, classic rock, etc.

I love music.

Thanks, homies.

you ever watched Code Guess? This is sort of like it.

The anime series? No, but I remember wanting to check it out when I first heard of it.
Is it good? How is it similar?

On a related note I'm watching The Tatami Galaxy for the first time and I'm floored at how beautiful the art in each episode is.
It steals beats me to a concept I had a few years ago so I get an extra kick at seeing how they play with it.

Macca

Hey bros. I know this question might be out there and random as shit but I'm going to have some balls and admit it. I haven't really dived deep into rap. Granted growing up under my Mom Dukes roof. I was beatin' in the head with nothing but Gospel music. My Mom (Black) is an hardcore fundamental Christian. My Pops (white and Puerto Rican) was more into the hip hop, latino music. My parents were seperate growing up. So anything not Gospel music my Mom kept out her house. I'm 24 and recently now that I have been of age and made choices for myself and totally eliminated all that religious nonsense.

I want to get into some hip hop. The real meat of hip hop. Not the modern mainstream. Granted I got into this type of hip hop because I was surrounded by it through the peeps I hang with. So I'm familiar with mainstream shit like Drake (my avatar), Kanye, Jay-Z, B.o.B., Lil Wayne, Big K.R.I.T. and I recently picked up some serious hip hop legends like Biggie Smalls first album and Big Pun first album. I've been nodding to both of their albums for a minute now.

All in all. I wanted to know if you guys can give me some recommendations for underground or past underground hip hop artists work that was on some beast mode and not some of the weak sauce shit that happens when these hip hop artists go mainstream.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to be diverse as possible. I like all genres. Be country, hip hop, pop, R&B, jazz, songwriter, alternative, classic rock, etc.

I love music.

Thanks, homies.
Illmatic by Nas, and Liquid Swords by GZA. Both are among the best hip hop albums ever.

Esch

Banned

I love music.

Thanks, homies.
Breh, even I can't make fun of a dude that has admitted his hip hop virginity. Lose the drake and cop this knowledge. Forget the underground, you still havent touched the mainstream greats

enter-the-36-chambers.jpg

400Nas-Illmatic.jpg

drdre_chronic_101b.jpg

7332021;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

2151924.jpg

Kool+G+Rap+-+4,5,6.jpg

genius-gza_liquid_swords.jpg

Good luck, and i hope you realize the error of your YMCMB sinful ways.

Macca

Breh, even I can't make fun of a dude that has admitted his hip hop virginity. Lose the drake and cop this knowledge. Forget the underground, you still havent touched the mainstream greats

5Hnvi.png

This man knows what's up.

siddx

enter-the-36-chambers.jpg

400Nas-Illmatic.jpg

drdre_chronic_101b.jpg

7332021;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

2151924.jpg

Kool+G+Rap+-+4,5,6.jpg

genius-gza_liquid_swords.jpg

This is a damn good starter list

Esch

Banned
This is a damn good starter list

I actually think dude would take more readily to the naughties underground hits like Blu & Exile, Madvillain/DOOM, Atmosphere, Nujabes, Mos Def/Talib type shit way faster, but it seems like he wants to know the essence of hip hop, so I figured id keep it to a regional sampler and throw in my personal favorite (liquid swords).

Macca

I actually think dude would take more readily to the naughties underground hits like Blu & Exile, Madvillain/DOOM, Atmosphere, Nujabes, Mos Def/Talib type shit way faster, but it seems like he wants to know the essence of hip hop, so I figured id keep it to a regional sampler and throw in my personal favorite (liquid swords).
I actually found Liquid Swords easier to get into than 36 chambers. The atmosphere is just so thick, and it brings the whole album together.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Harry Fraud can do no wrong. I heard that new Mayhem Lauren track.

Ready to hear that Respect The Fly Sh*t tape. Dropping tomorrow.

siddx

Thats usually the steps I take to introduce people to hip hop. Here are the classics, tell me which ones you like and I'll have more for you. I probably would throw in Tribe Called Quest as well to get them a taste of that area of rap.

In fact imma gonna do that right now.

ecurbj

Tribe Called Quest : Low End Theory
41XKY6HADEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

siddx

I actually found Liquid Swords easier to get into than 36 chambers. The atmosphere is just so thick, and it brings the whole album together.

36 chambers is as close to being "mainstream" as early wu can be. It's just a fun album all the way through. Liquid swords is a headphones late night getting drunk experience. You need to be engrossed in liquid swords, but 36 can just be in the background.

Esch

Banned

Liquid Swords was my first full hip hop album i listened to and it is still my favorite. Its just got the best atmosphere, the lyrics, the thematic elements. Its so good, so cohesive. I still find new parts to digest and enjoy even after having listened so many times.

really there was no way the GZA could have ever topped or honestly made an album almost as good because its just so well done.

EDIT YES, IM AN IDIOT DOWNLOAD THIS IMMEDIATELY ECURBJ

ice-cubedeath-certificate1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom