• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm in the right place when I see someone post Pac - Me Against the World and not All Eyez on Me, lol.

Hey bros. I know this question might be out there and random as shit but I'm going to have some balls and admit it. I haven't really dived deep into rap. Granted growing up under my Mom Dukes roof. I was beatin' in the head with nothing but Gospel music. My Mom (Black) is an hardcore fundamental Christian. My Pops (white and Puerto Rican) was more into the hip hop, latino music. My parents were seperate growing up. So anything not Gospel music my Mom kept out her house. I'm 24 and recently now that I have been of age and made choices for myself and totally eliminated all that religious nonsense.

I want to get into some hip hop. The real meat of hip hop. Not the modern mainstream. Granted I got into this type of hip hop because I was surrounded by it through the peeps I hang with. So I'm familiar with mainstream shit like Drake (my avatar), Kanye, Jay-Z, B.o.B., Lil Wayne, Big K.R.I.T. and I recently picked up some serious hip hop legends like Biggie Smalls first album and Big Pun first album. I've been nodding to both of their albums for a minute now.

Listening to 808s & Heartbreak right now. I'm really liking this album by him.

All in all. I wanted to know if you guys can give me some recommendations for underground or past underground hip hop artists work that was on some beast mode and not some of the weak sauce shit that happens when these hip hop artists go mainstream.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to be diverse as possible. I like all genres. Be country, hip hop, pop, R&B, jazz, songwriter, alternative, classic rock, etc.

I love music.

Thanks, homies.

Nice post. I always recommend newcomers to hip-hop these two albums:

r99416qo1yf.jpg
12960.jpg

Blackstar (Mos Def & Talib Kweli) - Blackstar and Mos Def - Black on Both Sides.

I feel like these two have some great, intellegent messages told in a pretty clear, simplistic (compared to some Wu ish at least) lyrical style, pretty much perfect for anyone just starting out.

Definitely check out The Roots - Illadelph Halflife and A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders (& Low End Theory) afterwards along with the LPs in siddx's list. For some modern classics, I can't recommend Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens, Elzhi - The Preface and Kendrick Lamar - Section.80 highly enough.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Can someone explain Lil B to me? It he good because he's trying to be bad, or is he just bad?

Lil B was all gafhop argued about in the beginning. I think we have burned ourselves out on that subject by now. Some people like him for the weird gimmick aspect (like I do with ugo) while others (myself included) just can't get past the shit lyrics and terrible delivery.
It's pretty much a consensus though that he's a weird but cool dude who is very likable outside of his music.

Esch

Banned
Can someone explain Lil B to me? It he good because he's trying to be bad, or is he just bad?

its like a huge ball of irony

on one hand he's objectively terrible, like there is no way you could really ever consider his music good in a critical sense. But then there's his beat selection, his hilarious off the wall sense of humor, and his infectious positivity. It's easy to hate and love Lil B for some reason, and thats part of why he remains relevant despite basically spitting mixtape upon mixtape of straight nonsense. He's an entertainment personality as much or more than a rapper. Personally I would love to see him on some type of TV show, but no record exec would be able to stop him from saying some shit that would get him fired.

To answer the question, I dont have any of his music on my computer or phone but I've listened to Pretty Boy Bitch more than some of my favorite songs on my favorite albums just because the soul train video makes me laugh so much.

*shrug*
Lil B was all gafhop argued about in the beginning. I think we have burned ourselves out on that subject by now. Some people like him for the weird gimmick aspect (like I do with ugo) while others (myself included) just can't get past the shit lyrics and terrible delivery.
It's pretty much a consensus though that he's a weird but cool dude who is very likable outside of his music.
Ugo is legitimately hilarious though, the accent is one thing but he makes some of the funniest similes/metaphors ive ever heard.

Esch

Banned
Man, harry fraud... Everytime i listen to his beats I get reminded of that scene in back to the future

"ITS YOUR COUSIN, MARVIN, MARVIN BERRY?"

"YOU KNOW THAT NEW SOUND YOU BEEN LOOKIN FOR? WELL LISTEN TO THIS?"

This piffness is what NY needs, guy is so so good.

i never liked that scene much tho, insinuating the white man retroactively went back in time and invented rock and roll :/

CRS

Hey bros. I know this question might be out there and random as shit but I'm going to have some balls and admit it. I haven't really dived deep into rap. Granted growing up under my Mom Dukes roof. I was beatin' in the head with nothing but Gospel music. My Mom (Black) is an hardcore fundamental Christian. My Pops (white and Puerto Rican) was more into the hip hop, latino music. My parents were seperate growing up. So anything not Gospel music my Mom kept out her house. I'm 24 and recently now that I have been of age and made choices for myself and totally eliminated all that religious nonsense.

I want to get into some hip hop. The real meat of hip hop. Not the modern mainstream. Granted I got into this type of hip hop because I was surrounded by it through the peeps I hang with. So I'm familiar with mainstream shit like Drake (my avatar), Kanye, Jay-Z, B.o.B., Lil Wayne, Big K.R.I.T. and I recently picked up some serious hip hop legends like Biggie Smalls first album and Big Pun first album. I've been nodding to both of their albums for a minute now.

All in all. I wanted to know if you guys can give me some recommendations for underground or past underground hip hop artists work that was on some beast mode and not some of the weak sauce shit that happens when these hip hop artists go mainstream.

Any help would be appreciated. Trying to be diverse as possible. I like all genres. Be country, hip hop, pop, R&B, jazz, songwriter, alternative, classic rock, etc.

I love music.

Thanks, homies.

This is all the education you need:

AlFjp.png

CRS

Also, I found that list I posted in OT3. I've always wanted to make a graphic with all these albums. Or at least a Top 25/50 graphic and call it GAF-Hop's Essentials but keep forgetting/don't have the time to.

Nujabes -
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - E.1999 Eternal
Lupe Fiasco – Lupe Fiasco’s Food & Liquor
Lupe Fiasco – The Cool
OutKast – ATLiens
OutKast – Aquemini
UGK - Super Tight
UGK - Ridin Dirty
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony - Art of War
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Dessa – A Badly Broken Code
The Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde
Nas - Illmatic
Slum Village - Fan-Tas-Tic Vol. 1
Slum Village - Fan-Tas-Tic Vol. 2
Dilated Peoples - Expansion Team
MF DOOM - MM.. Food
MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday
Kanye West - Late Registration
Kanye West - College Dropout
People Under the Stairs - O.S.T.
De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Dr. Dre - 2001
The Roots - Phrenology
The Roots – How I Got Over
The Roots - Halflife
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Binary Star - Masters of the Universe
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
Eminem - Eminem Show
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Wu-Tang Clan - Wu-Tang Forever
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
KiD CuDi - Man on the Moon: The End of Day
Madvillain - Madvillain
Lord Quasimoto - The Unseen
2Pac - All Eyez On Me
2Pac - The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory
Black Star – Mos Def and Talib Kweli Are Black Star
Reflection Eternal - Train of Thoughts
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Kno – Death Is Silent
Blu - Her Favorite Colo(u)r.
Common - Be
Curren$y & Alchemist - Covert Coup
Blu & Exile – Below the Heavens
Fugees – The Score
Deltron 3030 – Deltron 3030
Hieroglyphics - 3rd Eye Vision
Handsome Boy Modeling School - Handsome Boy Modeling School
Strong Arm Steady - In Search of Stoney Jackson
CunninLynguists – Oneirology
CunninLynguists – A Piece of Strange
Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons
Big K.R.I.T. - K.R.I.T. Wuz Here
Big K.R.I.T. - Return of 4Eva
Curren$y - Pilot Talk
Curren$y - Pilot Talk 2
DANGERDOOM – The Mouse And The Mask
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
Ice Cube - AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted
The D.O.C. - No Can Do it Better
Ice Cube - Death Certificate
Ice Cube - The Predator
DJ Quik - Quik Is The Name
DJ Quik - Safe + Sound
N.W.A - Straight Outta Compton
N.W.A. - Ni**az4Life
Warren G - Regulate... G Funk Era

Macca

Also, I found that list I posted in OT3. I've always wanted to make a graphic with all these albums. Or at least a Top 25/50 graphic and call it GAF-Hop's Essentials but keep forgetting/don't have the time to.
A pretty cool website could be made out of that list. Have like all the albums there, a way to sort, info about each album etc.

CRS

I like Eschs list more, it's more concise

Well yeah, especially since the dude asked for more underground specific artists and my list has a fuck-ton of both underground and mainstream.

There should be a hip-hop recommendation tree where if you like this album, you'll like this and so forth.

A pretty cool website could be made out of that list. Have like all the albums there, a way to sort, info about each album etc.
I really need to force myself to actually start a project for this. That way I could also listen to albums that I haven't listened to yet or might have missed.

I know I've talked about this on here before (which goes to show you how bad I am) but I would like to create a hip-hop version of this.

Kwixotik

I love music.

Thanks, homies.

Get the classics people are listing but make sure you pick these up too. I guarantee you'll love Blu & Exile. Probably Nujabes too, but it's not the kind of hip hop you're used to at all so go in with an open mind.

Esch

Banned
I like Eschs list more, it's more concise

Yeaaa, you dont wanna recommend someone a shitload of classics at once. then they have no time to sit back, listen to other shit, and digest. Plus no offense CRS, but a lot of those albums are more underground/abstract and pertain more to the depth of hip hop rather then the breadth.

*shrug*

Macca

Yeaaa, you dont wanna recommend someone a shitload of classics at once. then they have no time to sit back, listen to other shit, and digest. Plus no offense CRS, but a lot of those albums are more underground/abstract and pertain more to the depth of hip hop rather then the breadth.

*shrug*
Yea, I agree from a straight off what should I listen to type thing.

But if you broke down CRS's list, had it ranked somehow and allowed people to branch somehow off it'd be pretty dope.

remist

I love music.

Thanks, homies.

EschatonDX's list is a great concise list. I just like to add that you shouldn't get too caught up in mainstream vs underground. Most of the great "underground" artists like Blu, MF Doom, Mos Def, and Talib Kweli are pretty mainstream by now. Also keep up with the young up-and-comers. You already mentioned KRIT, but check out Kendrick Lamar, Action Bronson, Schoolboy Q and ASAP Rocky.

ecurbj

Okay. Thanks bros for the suggestions. So far I got:

Illmatic by Nas
Liquid Swords by GZA
36 Chambers by Wu Tang Clan
The Chronic by Dr. Dre (2001 or the original?)
Super Fight by UGK
Me Against The World by 2Pac
All Eyez on Me by 2Pac
4, 5, 6 by Kool G Rap
Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest
Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A.
Death Certificate by Ice Cube
Blackstar by Mos Def & Talib Kweli
Black on Both Sides by Mos Def
Section.80 by Kendrick Lamar
E.1999 Eternal by Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
Below The Heavens by Blu & Exile
Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg

AZ - Doe or Die
Redman - Whut Thee Album
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Common - Resurrection
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca And The Soul Brother & The Main Ingredient
Outkast - ATLiens
Royal Flush - Ghetto Millionaire
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Live and Let Die
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot
Scarface - The Fix
Black Milk - Tronic
Paid in Full - Eric B & Rakim

Anymore? Seems like a lot but I will listen to a couple albums a day. Takes me away from the radio/airwaves music I listen every single day.

Macca

I'd say start with the original. Personally, I'd listen to Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A first, then The Chronic, and then 2001. You'll see a nice progression of Dre's sound. Also definitely definitely definitely listen to Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg.

SoilBreak

Banned

Anymore? Seems like a lot but I will listen to a couple albums a day. Takes me away from the radio/airwaves music I listen every single day.

AZ - Doe or Die
Redman - Whut Thee Album
Big L - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous
Common - Resurrection
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca And The Soul Brother & The Main Ingredient
Outkast - ATLiens
Digable Planets - Reachin' & Blowout Comb
Royal Flush - Ghetto Millionaire
Kool G Rap & DJ Polo - Live and Let Die
Little Brother - The Minstrel Show & The Listening
Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot
Scarface - The Diary & The Fix
Black Milk - Tronic

Illmatic by Nas
Liquid Swords by GZA
36 Chambers by Wu Tang Clan
Super Fight by UGK
Me Against The World by 2Pac
All Eyez on Me by 2Pac
4, 5, 6 by Kool G Rap
Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
Midnight Marauders by A Tribe Called Quest
Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A.
Death Certificate by Ice Cube
Blackstar by Mos Def & Talib Kweli
Black on Both Sides by Mos Def
Section.80 by Kendrick Lamar
E.1999 Eternal by Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
Below The Heavens by Blu & Exile
Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg

Someone please give this man some Jay-Z. (kidding) but you could really enjoy some of his older stuff

ecurbj

Someone please give this man some Jay-Z. (kidding) but you could really enjoy some of his older stuff
I don't have these albums yet or listened to them. This is just a complication of albums that peeps in this thread recommended me to listen to.

I own all three of Jay Z's Blueprint albums. I'm sure Reasonable Doubt was hot. That was his first, right?

Macca

Hmmm. So I was thinking about CRS's idea, and a few others came into my head, and I'm thinking of getting a domain name and just messing around with some stuff. Anyone got any suggestions?

My initial thought was hiphopessentials.com, but it's taken. I could go with .net or something, but I thought I'd throw it out and see if anyone else has ideas.

EDIT: musthavehiphop.com is available. I quite like that.

ecurbj

Yep. Also listen to Jay Z's Vol.1 & 2
So:

Reasonable Doubt
In My Lifetime Vol. 1
Vol. 2...Hard Knock Life
Vol. 3...Life and Times of S. Carter
The Dynasty: Roc La Famila
Blueprint
Blueprint 2
Black Album
Kingdom Come
American Gangster
Blueprint 3

Like I said I own the Blueprints. Other than the Volumes. Are all the rest worth listening to?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
For those of you in Houston, I just got this email about a presale -

Toyota Center is excited to welcome Flo Rida, Cee Lo, Kirko Bangz and B.O.B. to Houston on Friday, July 20th!

Special Pre-Sale offer begins TOMORROW, Thursday, June 28th from 10:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.

I do wonder what kind of crowd will be at that show.

Jay Sosa

So:

Reasonable Doubt classic
In My Lifetime Vol. 1 yep
Vol. 2...Hard Knock Life not that bad
Vol. 3...Life and Times of S. Carter eh
The Dynasty: Roc La Famila yep (best intro ever)
Blueprint classic
Blueprint 2 god no
Black Album brilliant
Kingdom Come eh
American Gangster ok
Blueprint 3 own it but haven't listened to it yet (at a friends place)

Like I said I own the Blueprints. Other than the Volumes. Are all the rest worth listening to?

btw: some southern shit to consider:

Ridin Dirty - UGK
Undaground Legend - Flip
Trap Muzik - TI
Soul Food - Goodie Mobb
Aquemini - Outkast
Phantom of the Rapra - Bushwick Bill
Crooked Lettaz - Grey Skies
Devin - The Dude
Dirty - The Pimp and the Gangsta
DJ Screw 3n tha mornin
Dungeon Family - Even in Darkness
Froze Ony - Gutta Ways
Guerilla Maab - Rise
Hot Boys - Guerilla Warfare
Juvenile - 400 degreez
Master P - Ghetto D
Nappy Roots - Watermelon..
Ray Cash - COD
Scarface - My Homies
Tela - Double Dose
Trae - Same thing different day
ABN - ABN
Witchdoctor - Aswat
Z-ro - Life of/LTTBT

and soooo many more

Mangotron

So:

Reasonable Doubt
In My Lifetime Vol. 1
Vol. 2...Hard Knock Life
Vol. 3...Life and Times of S. Carter
The Dynasty: Roc La Famila
Blueprint
Blueprint 2
Black Album
Kingdom Come
American Gangster
Blueprint 3

Kingdom Come and Blueprint 2 are generally considered the "bad" albums. Everything else is at least above average.

IrishNinja

oh my god, subbing right the fuck now

Tweeting that #BallaBallaGarbage straight from the rap cars of GAF-Hop.

i love it

ayo making golden arms redemption the background of this twitter account was a masterstroke

yes. yes.

Yo ecurbj, to begin with:

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Mos Def - Black On Both Sides
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders

esha's list was thorough, but these are good additions, especially the bolded. siddx's Low End Theory nom is prolly the right one to make, but Midnight Marauders just goes, the whole album. definition of a classic.

should have thrown in Shad or K-os for that canadian swag

yeah, you cannot go wrong with Shad - The Old Prince is prolly the one i'd recommend starting with.

Liquid Swords was my first full hip hop album i listened to and it is still my favorite.
I wish I could remember my first hip hop album lol. I know my first album in general was SpaceJam Ost or Michael Jackson - Bad, but can't exactly remember my first hip hop album. Probably have to ask my uncle lol.

IrishNinja

If you ever wondered "What does IrishNinja carry around in his pockets?" No worries! I'll tell you right now:

my phone is a google something or other cause my chick used to work for t-mo, i still treat this thing like a pager
Zelda edition 3DS, streetpassin' LIKE A BALLER
glasses case because i only wear these to hide my secret identity
wallet which still has unchanged currencies, now useless to me
keys (to open doors)
handkerchief

i think that's it, sometimes a piece of paper with a perpetual list of things that need doing, books/songs/games to check out etc or just lyrics i dug, but now that list is mostly digital so i can ignore it in a future format

Kwixotik

I'm wearing empty pocketed pajamas

but most of the time I've just got wallet, phone, keys, and sometimes a lighter. How do these people on the Fader features even fit that much shit in their pockets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom