• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
As Gaf-HOP's resident combination kung fu movie stan/wushu practitioner/wu stan I'm honestly very lukewarm on it. The best wuxia flicks are the minimalist ones, overload them with nonsensical wire-fu, special effects, mystic powers bullshit and the actual strength of the movie goes in the gutter. That being said that kind of flick is exactly what american audiences want out of kung fu movies, so this might actually do very very well. It also has Lucy Liu for all the yellow fever people out there (she is a middling actor), russell crowe for all the white boys who wont see a martial arts movie without a white guy getting his Last Samurai on. And quentin, of course.

Its so strange that both Tarantino and the RZA went with something so visually bombastic and effects centric because both of them are fans of the old school shaw brothers shit and id expect a flick from them to pay more homage.

I'll see it because its the RZA and Tarantino but im honestly not impressed so far. It just looks like many of the tropes i hate from the genre condensed.

Peeesh, what do Puerto Ricans know about kung fu?
:p

Watch that Aesop video, it sounds like it would be your kind of kung fu.

Esch

Banned
Peeesh, what do Puerto Ricans know about kung fu?
:p

Watch that Aesop video, it sounds like it would be your kind of kung fu.
Honestly this is the only kind of racism that irritates me even slightly as a joke herp derp. Because its basically just saying all brown colored people look alike. If you're going to insult my ethnicity, at least do me the favor of coming up with something appropriately mocking indian people, I figure I deserve at least that. Like about how I should be doing calculus or something.

I know a good amount about kung fu, at least compared to the average dude.

siddx

Honestly this is the only kind of racism that irritates me even slightly as a joke herp derp. Because its basically just saying all brown colored people look alike. If you're going to insult my ethnicity, at least do me the favor of coming up with something appropriately mocking indian people, I figure I deserve at least that. Like about how I should be doing calculus or something.

I know a good amount about kung fu, at least compared to the average dude.

wtf didn't you say you were Puerto Rican? Am I going crazy? I could have sworn like a year ago you called yourself that.
And I can't mock Indian people, I was born there.

Esch

Banned
wtf didn't you say you were Puerto Rican? Am I going crazy? I could have sworn like a year ago you called yourself that.
And I can't mock Indian people, I was born there.
My last name is Patel :3, thought you saw on the FB group.

siddx

Well goddamnit whose our resident Puerto Rican? We can't be a hip hop thread without Rican Representation.

I'm puerto rican and seen a number of the modern martial arts movies. I would ask for a list of the old ones, but I have a cabinet full from a passed down collection. I might try and get through them one day, but yea I'm going to watch that RZA movie and then buy it on Blu-Ray so I can hear him talk about shit in the behind the scenes. It will be glorious.

Edit:
-El-P was terrible on Conan
-Slaughterhouse is being ruined by Eminem and they weren't fantastic before, but they had potential.
-Swizz Beatz is still awful
-I'll probably like the Big Boi song better in context with the album

Esch

Banned
I'm puerto rican and seen a number of the modern martial arts movies. I would ask for a list of the old ones, but I have a cabinet full from a passed down collection. I might try and get through them one day, but yea I'm going to watch that RZA movie and then buy it on Blu-Ray so I can hear him talk about shit in the behind the scenes. It will be glorious.

Edit:
-Slaughterhouse is being ruined by Eminem and they weren't fantastic before, but they had potential.

They're all on youtube!

My two favorites:

Five Deadly Venoms(in HD no less)

36th Chamber of Shaolin

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Edit:
Understatement. Shit was abysmal.

Too much CGI in that Iron Fist trailer but it still looks pretty damn entertaining. And Russell Crowe is a big wtf haha.

In it for the soundtrack for sure.

siddx

Friend saw El-P years ago and said he was fall down pass out drunk and managed to rock the house. Saw him again much later and he was sober and shat the place up. So apparently El-P needs to be drunk as fuck to not suck ass live.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Slaughterhouse ft. Swizz Beatz - Throw It Away.

...anyone feel like they're increasingly being marketed as some hip hop boy band? Their last video giving me that vibe especially.

Ha. Kinda hard to argue with this logic when looking at that single cover I mean they look like they are trying to reconstruct a 112 album cover or some shit.

This track ain't too bad and Big Boi sounds sharp on it so i'm still very much anticipating his new album but yeah I think like Jo Shishido the lineup did have me expecting something else and that may have ruined it for me a little. Personally I wanted something that had more of that funk to it, or at least maybe some ol' willie hutch sampling shit like this.

I've only listened through that Meyhem Lauren shit once but I was liking what I heard. Tough NY rap without pandering to the bring NY back crowd too hard (although NY never left in his opinion as he spits in one of his opening bars) and Harry Fraud has to be one of the frontrunners for Most Valuable Producer of 2012 so far. I've heard quite a bit of Action Bronson's stuff but i'm not too familiar with Outdoorsmen crew. Do they have a go to compilation anyone could recommend to me or is there any kind of consensus on what the best project from the crew has been?

RZA's movie looks way better than it probably has any right to be.

Red Band Trailer:
http://youtu.be/a7l3okIqnCg

Also Lucy Liu is fucking 44 years old. Crazy. Still smangable.

I'm kinda torn on this one. Well not really as realistically i'm definitely going to see it, but while I have every confidence Rza knows his shit when it comes to Kung-Fu flicks, apart from the fact he's a first time director, he co-wrote the screenplay with Eli Roth and I think that guy is a fucking hack. I'd feel much better about it if Tarantino had written it with him, but at the least hopefully some cool shit happens.

As I was explaining to the facebook group, i'd been having problems logging in to post here but now I can again while i'm writing what is starting to turn into a fucking thesis, I figure I may as well post some music.

First drop is from G Mane out of Alabama. Highly recommended for those into country rap tunes, he's sort of like a cross between Bun B and Nate Dogg, shit is real smooth.

G Mane - Late Nite Ridin Muzik Vol. 2

YWR24.jpg

Also here's a triple stack of budget videos from Supa Villain's upcoming #FreeLANCE mixtape. He's a producer/rapper from Mississippi who's done a bunch of stuff for Rich Boy apart from dropping his own tapes and can make realy airy spacious beats, go straight up trap, or whatever inbetween if need be. I've mentioned him before, and I will continue to do so until someone notices lol. He's good.

See it In My Face
Nothin Else Matters
Cowards (prod. by Nova tha Massikre)

Detox

First drop is from G Mane out of Alabama. Highly recommended for those into country rap tunes, he's sort of like a cross between Bun B and Nate Dogg, shit is real smooth.

G Mane - Late Nite Ridin Muzik Vol. 2

YWR24.jpg

Also here's a triple stack of budget videos from Supa Villain's upcoming #FreeLANCE mixtape. He's a producer/rapper from Mississippi who's done a bunch of stuff for Rich Boy apart from dropping his own tapes and can make realy airy spacious beats, go straight up trap, or whatever inbetween if need be. I've mentioned him before, and I will continue to do so until someone notices lol. He's good.

See it In My Face
Nothin Else Matters
Cowards (prod. by Nova tha Massikre)

Damn these two are really good. For those that don't want to jump on G Mane without sampling he got a bandcamp. The beat on Nothin Else is dope.

Tokubetsu

Funny thing about Slaughterhouse is the tracks they're making right now, are exactly the kinda shit they were against 2-3 years ago. Hilarious.

I don't like them as a collective, but I think individually (well judging by Crooked I's latest) they can be great. That Psalms tape was good.

Together they either make this poppy crap which seems hypocritical or just verse after verse after verse which feels too heavy.

zychi

Banned
just bought my under the influence tix. wiz, mac miller, kdot, schoolboy q, chiddy bang and chevy woods in one night? gonna be amazing.

Tokubetsu

I can't even really think of anything from 2012 that's not rap that I got a lot of spins out of. "Kill For Love" maybe, thats all that I can think of. I liked the new Sleigh Bells too, a lot more than Treats. I don't know if I'd put either on a "best of year" list though.

Tokubetsu

You guys are so much different than me, I thought Toku listened to more stuff.

I have. I just don't remember a lot of it or I haven't got around to it yet. Still haven't sat down with that Fionna Apple record yet for example despite being excited for it.

I only get that new music craze with Rap. I'm still listening to non-rap shit from 2011/2010 in heavy rotation. Warpaint, Feist, etc.

I have. I just don't remember a lot of it or I haven't got around to it yet. Still haven't sat down with that Fionna Apple record yet for example despite being excited for it.
Yea, I've been pretty busy lately. Instead of coming home and chilling to music, I just eat then sleep. It's these 12-14 hour shifts I been doing lately. Got quite a few I gotta catch up on.

HiResDes

I only get that new music craze with Rap. I'm still listening to non-rap shit from 2011/2010 in heavy rotation. Warpaint, Feist, etc.

That's understandable Metals was fantastic. I thought more people here participated in the What Are You Listening threads. The new Purity Ring is pretty great, if you want a really new accessible suggestion.

The next turntable/plug I will play only 2012 non-rap stuff.

Tokubetsu

That's understandable Metals was fantastic. I thought more people here participated in the What Are You Listening threads. The new Purity Ring is pretty great, if you want a really new accessible suggestion.

The next turntable/plug I will play only 2012 non-rap stuff.

I used to. I never catch those threads anymore lol

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
I've only bothered to listen to like one non rap album this year so by default my favourite non rap album of the year is Keepers Of The Light by LHF. The lead single Akashic Visions is maybe my favourite video so far this year also.

Favorite non-hip-hop albums this year, go.

Me= Oceania by the smashing pumpkins

Cloud Nothings - Attack On Memory

Granted I haven't listened to much non hip hop so far. Other genres best stuff doesn't reach me til much after their release. Hip hop gaf always keeps me on top of the best new stuff in hip hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom