• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Yo this Theo, top ten material for sure!...I'm dead serious.

HuqpB.png

So after clearing out a full Burger King I can safely say that I will never eat anywhere in Tennessee in my life. Those stares *shudders*

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Can't remember if these were recommended by anyone, I figure I should share what I'm trying to find time to listen to recently (as far as free mixtapes go)

King Mez : My Everlasting Zeal

Only two tracks I'm not sold on, everything else is quality as fuck. Monte Carlo and Playskool stand out for me especially.

And this:
Omen - Black Hero Theme Music

Omen produces, random guest vocals. But the beats are the stars here. Dude won a grammy for a reason. So good. So fucking good.
Obviously the album has a theme

And this:
Calez : Kid With Raps

Some Chicago shit, enjoy before Kanye hears him and ruins him. Caution has been on repeat.

Nas snippets are out
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H23SWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy shit, only song I'm not feeling much is the Intro. But given that it's Justice League I bet the beat transitions into something else, can't wait to hear it all.

This sounds like some straight up 90s shit with even late 80s vibes. Reach Out sounds like something that could have come out in 1989.

Summer On Smash sounds eh, but Nas' verse starts good. We'll see...

Back When givin me Dilla/Be vibes

Stay omg. That's the same sample I heard on that CyHi tape, and wished a better rapper would tackle. Hell yes

Cherry Wine omg

I'm 100% on board. I'm calling it now, this will be Nas' best work since Stillmatic, might even be better

Aw shit it leaked. 20m before I gotta go to work. Pray for me brehs

edit: hold on, sounds like it hasn't been confirmed yet. Hold me, Detox.

Esch

Banned
Am I really buying a Nas album right now? In 2012? Is that what's cool right now? Nas? Have you ever felt disappointed in yourself in the act? Cause thats where im at.

Gafhop should have a Life Is Good listening party on turntable tonight

Esch

Banned
you fools need to be fuxing with this guy, i can't believe everyone sleeps on him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOCRiYmce2I&feature=relmfu
so rad compared to all the lame ass money raps

Horrorcore is a pretty useless genre to me. As a guy who's listened to his fair share of black, death, and thrash metal I find it to be pretty underwhelming on the offensiveness/shock front and a lot less poignant on the philosophical tip. It doesnt bring the atmosphere needed for the proper impact 99.99% of the time either.

*shrug*

//B1G

Banned
i find it infinitely more interesting than the regular subject matter of rap.
the same with the old memphis groups - rapping about satanism, torture, murder, etc. is a lot more intriguing to me than 'ayo i gots fuckin money bitch. lemme fuck this honey, shit' and not to mention i love the dark production. i can't stand that pop type crap

though with that said i am feeling this theo tape so far. it's kinda funky but it does break up my regular listening habits definitely.

Esch

Banned
i find it infinitely more interesting than the regular subject matter of rap.
the same with the old memphis groups - rapping about satanism, torture, murder, etc is a lot more intriguing to me than 'ayo i gots fuckin money bitch. lemme fuck this honey, shit' and not to mention i love the dark production. i can't stand that pop type crap

breh Memphis rappers are 100% on that fuck bitches get money tip and always have been.

I just think the way horrorcore rappers subsumed extreme metal culture is fucking dorky, just like every other cross between the two genres. The sensibilities of the two are like oil and water, I cant especially take any of these RVDER KLAN KVLT dudes seriously knowing that they're copying liberally from a culture that openly scorns their existence

//B1G

Banned
nah, you're way disillusioned about the genre as a whole. the 90's memphis scene was most definitely not on a fuck bitches get money tip. I could post huuundreds of tracks. and they weren't influenced by metal shit, i could guarantee you that.

and the raider clan dudes for the most part are imitating that style which almost exclusive to memphis, right down to the staples in production. i think comparing metal and this genre of rap just because of the lyrical content, which for the most part isn't even similar, is pretty ignant. but whatevssss to each his own

siddx

How you think rapping about torture and murder is somehow more quality content wise than ballaballalameassmoneyraps is beyond me. They are both mostly fictional attention seeking attempts to get people to listen to them. Neither show any strong level of creativity but are entertaining in their own way.

Nas snippets are out
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H23SWK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Holy shit, only song I'm not feeling much is the Intro. But given that it's Justice League I bet the beat transitions into something else, can't wait to hear it all.

This sounds like some straight up 90s shit with even late 80s vibes. Reach Out sounds like something that could have come out in 1989.

Summer On Smash sounds eh, but Nas' verse starts good. We'll see...

Back When givin me Dilla/Be vibes

Stay omg. That's the same sample I heard on that CyHi tape, and wished a better rapper would tackle. Hell yes

Cherry Wine omg

I'm 100% on board. I'm calling it now, this will be Nas' best work since Stillmatic, might even be better
Dat hype

//B1G

Banned
How you think rapping about torture and murder is somehow more quality content wise than ballaballalameassmoneyraps is beyond me. They are both mostly fictional attention seeking attempts to get people to listen to them. Neither show any strong level of creativity but are entertaining in their own way.

yeah cus looking up your favorite rapper's rhymes and switching out the ending words is so much more intriguing. at least horrorcore takes creating your own lines...
watch that video i just posted up - which is a freestyle - and tell me that's not more creative than the same ole shit. if you want to disagree with me than you're just an idiot, flat out.

siddx

yeah cus looking up your favorite rapper's rhymes and switching out the ending words is so much more intriguing. at least horrorcore takes creating your own lines...
watch that video i just posted up - which is a freestyle - and tell me that's not more creative than the same ole shit. if you want to disagree with me than you're just an idiot, flat out.

Calm down, you're embarrassing yourself.

Queens Story: IWW shit
Back When sounds fucking dope. very atmospheric.
That Amy Winehouse tracks sounds like it's gunna be on the level of Cant Forget About You.
Black Bond is hype
Roses is hype
Honestly, only track i aint feeling is that Swizz Beat joint. #typicalSWIZZBEATclubbanger

siddx

ha ok bro you know me!!
very compelling argument you've drawn up here. you're good at this.

Responding to any differing opinion with "well then you're an idiot" makes any attempt at a discussion with you pointless. You acted like an asshole from the moment esc didn't immediately curl up and play cuddle buddy with you over your musical tastes. If you act like a dick, we are going to talk to you like you are a dick.

//B1G

Banned
lol... you got a mouse in your pocket? i don't think you speak for anyone here.
if you think i'm being a dick you need to experience reality a little more. you came at me all wrong and got what you get

Esch

Banned
and the raider clan dudes for the most part are imitating that style which almost exclusive to memphis, right down to the staples in production.
You are wrong.

Before he got into rap Lil Ugly Mane was playing Black Metal and harsh noise.

Pitchfork Interview said:
Pitchfork: I see you're wearing a Metallica t-shirt.

SpaceGhostPurrp: Love them. I like Meshuggah, too-- I really like metal. People were like, "Why'd you paint your nails black?" I'm like, "I'm black and I like metal." It's odd to see a black person painting his nails in Miami, especially in the hip-hop community. They don't understand that hip-hop isn't one thing anymore, it's all types. I see my shit as a dark metal-folk rap.
Physically the image of these dudes is totally jacked from extreme metal. The inverted crosses, the painted nails, black clothing, the satanism. the usage of the V's and K's in everything is taken directly from Black Metal. All you need to verify this is a google search of the word "kvlt".

Thematically the satanism, the atheism, and a lot of the other themes are identical, but from a black perspective rather than a nordic one. Musically the black metal homage is pretty much obvious to anyone that has listened to both, not only in atmosphere but in purposefully basement lo-fi production styles.These dudes are also from Florida, a huge epicenter for the death metal community.

To deny that Horrorcore is heavily informed by metal is silly. Its not even a sensible thing to deny, because 90s rap and extreme metal were developing literally side by side in NY and Cali.

siddx

Why am I hyped for 2chainz...
Ace's ignorant mixes have gotten to me.

//B1G

Banned
You are wrong.

Before he got into rap Lil Ugly Mane was playing Black Metal and harsh noise.
yeah you've got me there, i know that too. but to be fair i could say that didn't necessarily influence his rap game. the style he's imitating is almost a direct homage to that scene, he even adds the southern drawl to his words even though he's from pennsylvania or something.

To deny that Horrorcore is heavily informed by metal is silly. Its not even a sensible thing to deny, because 90s rap and extreme metal were developing literally side by side in NY and Cali.
i think of the image of horrorcore as what was in memphis, i consider them the true pioneers of the genre. i mean yeah there was dr. octagon and some dudes in cali doing that real brutal type rap, but i don't think they really played a big role in it compared to guys like dj zirk, paul and juicy, dj spanish fly, those guys that really got the style down... the horror movie samples, the really atmospheric and broody beats, those guys did not listen to metal. i really doubt they even knew the genre existed. the upsidedown cross and shit is just synonymous with devil worship, i don't think it was jacked from metal bands

and yeah the raider clan guys are doing that, but i don't really consider a person like SGP to be horrorcore. he maybe does some darkish songs, but for the most part he's a pretty up tempo dude i'd say.

but anyway damn i just wanted some peeps to check out jak progresso haha. dude's an insane genius in my mind once you catch on to his lyricism and style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjGOVItmZ5w&feature=youtu.be&t=1m3s
no one can deny that shit ^ isn't creative

1. Go listen to this:

Gravediggaz+-+1994+-+6+Feet+Deep+%5BFront%5D.jpg

2. Realise how wrong you are.

3. Repent for your sins!

Anyways..... DAT Nas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom