• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Not really liking the Mary J chorus, but it may grow on me. Nas brought it again. Solid track.

. Salaam Remi has done a great job on the album so far nothing like I expected.

Prodigy fell the fuck off but Havoc still bringing the heat at least with his beats. Oh and I thought they made up but he says: "niggas out here dry snitchin’ writin’ books / lyin’ out they ass just to sell a book."

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Not really investigated Future much other than a cursory listen of Free Bricks with Gucci Mane as i don't think autotune rapping appeals to me much, but i'm liking this remix of Itchin' that's just come through. Mike WiLL Made It continues to kill it on the beats.

DJ Infamous ft. Future, Young Jeezy, Yo Gotti & Fabolous - Itchin Remix

Also I didn't realise but apparently Slim thug & Z-Ro are going to collaborate for an LP coming out later this year. Here's first single from said LP.

Slim Thug & Z-Ro - Summertime

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member

I hadn't but thanks. I still feel like I can mainly only tolerate Future in small doses like for hooks but fuck it i'm going to listen to Pluto and see what's what.

Chief Keef Ft. Fat Trel - Russian Roulette (Video)

Not as good to me as Respect With The Tech

What's the story with that 704 thing is that another project from that guy Lute I think i've seen people around here recommend?

Whats the best DMX album to start with?

Listen to both 'It's Dark And Hell Is Hot' and 'Flesh Of My Flesh Blood Of My Blood'.

ecurbj

I hadn't but thanks. I still feel like I can mainly only tolerate Future in small doses like for hooks but fuck it i'm going to listen to Pluto and see what's what.

I own the album. It's not bad. I was driven into the hype by a few of my friends. He uses a lot of auto tune. His hooks and bars are okay. But nothing spectacular.

Tony Montana is my favorite track.

HiResDes

Some of these are golden:

529423_497196473630872_1697207052_n.jpg
487684_497196136964239_854550582_n.jpg
582224_497197510297435_2006862475_n.jpg

ecurbj

Yelawolf recent mixtape was okay. I liked Gambino mixtape more though. I've always liked his flow. Even his first album he released. Favorite track was "Black Faces". Boi-1da on the production!

T Dollarz

got a trunk full of new ignorant tracks...

Yeah Blackace I've gotta say I've been loving your mixes! CaddiesandSyrup2, Poppy 3, Ignorant 16, Outkast... all good shit my dude! Have them on CD in the whip and whenever I have buddies ride shotgun and we cruise one they always end up saying, "Yo this is a dope mix!" and "Who is this???". Sometimes I wish I had a tracklist after the surprise of the first listen. But good shit man.

ecurbj

someone help this one. I have tried, but I cannot deliver him from teenage girl rap
Dude. Why even? Music is music. I like various different music. Why do I have to listen to what you think is pristine and awesome? You have your taste. I was recommended some hip hop music I should listen to. Just let me listen to what I want to listen too.

Jesus...

HiResDes

I'm just going to assume people are talking about the Wu-Tang joint to save my sanity every time I see him mentioned in here.

Dude. Why even? Music is music. I like various different music. Why do I have to listen to what you think is pristine and awesome? You have your taste. I was recommended some hip hop music I should listen to. Just let me listen to what I want to listen too.

Jesus...

Soft-skin

Esch

Banned

Jesus...
my post was tongue in asscheek.

my taste sucks.

Why are we still talking about Childish Gambino in a rap/hip-hop thread???!?

because the avalanche of piff music has come to a stop just at the wrong time.

Esch

Banned
Oh come on, DX's post is def more Weezy than mine...LOL

:3333 you know the simile comparison between wayne and something else is his defining characteristic as a rapper

Also is anyone interested in a Gaf-HOP listens series? Where we pick a time/date and sit through a classic album/really hyped new release together on turntable? Like the Wu-Mondays shit but we actually listen to it all together.

HiResDes

:3333 you know the simile comparison between wayne and something else is his defining characteristic as a rapper

Also is anyone interested in a Gaf-HOP listens series? Where we pick a time/date and sit through a classic album/really hyped new release together on turntable? Like the Wu-Mondays shit but we actually listen to it all together.

Holy shit, that's a good idea.

Esch

Banned
Holy shit, that's a good idea.

Its really really obvious. I'm actually kinda surprised we never just went ahead and did it period.

I guess the best time would be in the evenings, i suppose. Turntable doesn't work in the UK right? I guess we could use Plug, but YT quality/Too many DJ's is a concern.

ATTN GAF-HOP. What do you think about having a listening event on Plug.DJ, Sunday 7/8/2012 at 11/10 PM Eastern/Central Time? I was thinking we could sit through Illmatic, relax, talk about each song, and shoot the shit.

HiResDes

You can lock the booth in Plug.DJ and also just use soundcloud/import if need be.

Edit: Also hate to say it, but I'm burned out on Illmatic. I listen to IWW more now.

Esch

Banned
You can lock the booth in Plug.DJ and also just use soundcloud/import if need be.

Edit: Also hate to say it, but I'm burned out on Illmatic. I listen to IWW more now.

I'm the opposite, I listened my dick off to IWW all summer. You might have the right angle though, picking an album that is kind of a debated classic rather than an absolute. Although I thought it would get more people to participate if it was something like Illmatic, The Chronic, 36 Chambers etc.

T Dollarz

Why don't we just rotate members that decide each album per week. We get a list of everyone that wants to participate, each person picks an album for their week (or twice a week or whatever it will be) and basically it's taking turns picking albums for "Gaf-Hop Listens" (I like how that sounds, official)

Esch

Banned
Why don't we just rotate members that decide each album per week. We get a list of everyone that wants to participate, each person picks an album for their week (or twice a week or whatever it will be) and basically it's taking turns picking albums for "Gaf-Hop Listens" (I like how that sounds, official)

Works for me. However I am concerned about people signing up and then not following through with DJ plans. I would also think there might be a concern with people just being dicks about picking certain albums and others not showing up because of it, but i guess the whole point is debating it.

Why not have a good ol democratic vote.

This is the preferred method for me as well, but it requires everyone joining the Facebook group and submitting votes there on polls because of how fast the thread moves and because it retains votes.

Also can I get links in the OP to the quarter wrapup threads?

Yep. We tryna make this a GAF-HOP thing or Gafwide? I was debating this earlier.

ATTN GAF-HOP. What do you think about having a listening event on Plug.DJ, Sunday 7/8/2012 at 11/10 PM Eastern/Central Time? I was thinking we could sit through Illmatic, relax, talk about each song, and shoot the shit.
I'm definitely down, but not sure if I'll be able to make it this sunday. Hopefully though.
I'm the opposite, I listened my dick off to IWW all summer. You might have the right angle though, picking an album that is kind of a debated classic rather than an absolute. Although I thought it would get more people to participate if it was something like Illmatic, The Chronic, 36 Chambers etc.

Yes, I'm more for this because I don't want people picking albums that are absolute classics. I know there's plenty of people here who feel like they think some albums are classics, but aren't typically giving that kind of recognition so it'd be nice.

Jay Sosa

Why are we still talking about Childish Gambino in a rap/hip-hop thread???!?

Is CG the new center of GAFs 'hate'* now? Why in the world is that? Serious question..I mean he's not successful, overplayed, overhyped, seems like a well spoken and honestly nice nerdy guy and he's at least decent. Or is it because of Community?

And pretty disappointed in the Showroom video, track deserves so much better. I don't expect a visual masterpiece but come on Currensy..two leased Ferraris, two decent girls and him clowning around?

*for the lack of a better term.

Esch

Banned
Oh I was trying to get Macca's attention, but I will take this too lol. Make it a general thread, link to community OT, spread awareness.

I just asked him in the FB group.

Im going to make it in the Off Topic forum I suppose. I want people to join in, but to be honest I dont really want lurkers coming in and trying to sign us up to listen to some bullshit and not following up. Im going to post in the OP in bold that if you wanna sign up on an album, you have to send me a PM with your choice. I figure that will at least keep people honest.

I also reserve the right to make the judgement to push in a spot for a new album coming out that GAF-HOP is really into. For example the weekend of the 22nd I would reserve for Life Is Good. If I do something like that, I will throw the idea both in this thread and in the OT, and I'll listen to suggestions for any "events" like this. It wouldnt just be shit i like or stan for, I would totally be willing to set the room aside if your case was convincing.

As for playing it, I made the plug.dj gaf hop room already. I guess since I'm the host or w/e I will coordinate with a DJ right quick every week and get the booth locked like a half hour before each listening session. Des, Im gonna give you mod privileges for that room as well because you basically fuel this community.

EDIT: I decided anything Nas first week is a bad look because we're going to play Life is Good on the 22nd. Im thinking something a little more divisive, but still well known.

Reasonable Doubt, MBTDF, Cancer 4 Cure, The Infamous are possibilities.

DominoKid

gambino is so bad lol.
clever motherfucker, but he aint got the chops to be worth listening to as anything more than some novelty "oh he raps too" shit.

if he wants to be in the rap game so bad he should just make beats cause he's pretty good at it.
but since Community is getting the ax (;_;) he's probably gonna go all in on this.

Cudder

Its really really obvious. I'm actually kinda surprised we never just went ahead and did it period.

I guess the best time would be in the evenings, i suppose. Turntable doesn't work in the UK right? I guess we could use Plug, but YT quality/Too many DJ's is a concern.

I remember we had a Listening Room session when Watch the Throne dropped, was fucking awesome lol

Esch

Banned
I vote MBDTF, let's settle this debate.

Im leaning towards it as well. It has all the right elements for this first session

-highly debated/ will be rife with trolling
-recent and mainstream enough to get OT gaffers to join in
-artsy fartsy enough to get some members of other MusicGAF communities to join
-mostly pretty high energy

also before i forget pop in here Des so i can mod you up
http://www.plug.dj/gaf-hop/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom