• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Esch are we talking about the same Curren$y?... Dude is a B-tier rapper with S-tier beat selection, and this is coming from a fan.
yes.

I think I might be a stan. and I overrate beat selection. I understand spitta is repetitive, I just don't care.

edit:Gaf Hop listening party thread is going up tonight. First album is MBTDF. get hype

Stay Schemin would have been a decent single, at least 1000x better than anything hes put out from the album right now. Oh well.

It'll be real awkward if Wale or Meek Milly outsell him btw.
Honestly, I haven't heard his singles on tge radio at all. Any time I turn it on I hear Stay Schemin lol

Tokubetsu

Speaking of Curren$y, I think I've become comfortable with calling him a top ten all time rapper. The discography full of classic material, the unique sense of humor and charisma, the "feel" that his music evokes is just something only he really brings to the tablr
. Love the way his music strikes a balance between the underground's emphasis on sonic atmosphere and the mainstreams digestibility and lack of corniness.

cue haters who spend all day crying about people being excited from new material from arguably the most consistent rapper of all time.

That's cuz all of his singles have flopped HARD.
Seriously tho Peter lol, my first and last time hearing his singles was when they first came out. I don't even remember what they sound like. I heard I love my bitches more on the radio and that ain't realky radio friendly even tho I like that song.
BTW What should i call the listening party thread? I was thinking GAF-HOP Presents:______

but i dont know what.
Presents: This ain't no Illmatic or Classic, whichever you prefer, I prefer Classic.

HiResDes

Okay Life is Good review from da God:

It's a really really good album. If you forced me to rank it, it's probably his third or fourth best album, depending on how it holds up on replay. The most slept on track is probably "Stay," I think this is the fine wine track of the album. There are two tracks that I really think ruin the flow of the album, and of course one is Summer on Smash, and the other is Reach Out. It just sounds like such a retread that it totally ruins the fresh yet heydey sound of it all. The theme of the album really seems to be a battle of trying to move forward without losing what was gained in the past. Summer on Smash is an example or Nas reaching too far forward without regard for the past, and Reach Out is the polar opposite. All things considered, Life is Good is a badly cut diamond in the rough.

Edit: Esch GFK is the most consistent rapper of all-time.

PBY

Banned
Seriously tho Peter lol, my first and last time hearing his singles was when they first came out. I don't even remember what they sound like. I heard I love my bitches more on the radio and that ain't realky radio friendly even tho I like that song.

Singles:

I love my (floppy) bitches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5YKz3nFZOg
^Pretty Nice cut

Flop N' You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8Q76r0nOgI
Mediocre, forgettable

Hold (Or push) Me Back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyIix8yXbBA
^Most of the songs on Rich Forever were way better than this.

Not really sure whats going on with this album/

LOZLINK

Okay Life is Good review from da God:

It's a really really good album. If you forced me to rank it, it's probably his third or fourth best album, depending on how it holds up on replay. The most slept on track is probably "Stay," I think this is the fine wine track of the album. There are two tracks that I really think ruin the flow of the album, and of course one is Summer on Smash, and the other is Reach Out. It just sounds like such a retread that it totally ruins the fresh yet heydey sound of it all. The theme of the album really seems to be a battle of trying to move forward without losing what was gained in the past. Summer on Smash is an example or Nas reaching too far forward without regard for the past, and Reach Out is the polar opposite. All things considered, Life is Good is a badly cut diamond in the rough.

Edit: Esch GFK is the most consistent rapper of all-time.

I think the only weak point is The middle with SoS and You wouldn't understand. Worlds an addiction makes up for them though, my god this album

abuC

Speaking of Curren$y, I think I've become comfortable with calling him a top ten all time rapper. The discography full of classic material, the unique sense of humor and charisma, the "feel" that his music evokes is just something only he really brings to the table. Love the way his music strikes a balance between the underground's emphasis on sonic atmosphere and the mainstreams digestibility and lack of corniness.

cue haters who spend all day crying about people being excited from new material from arguably the most consistent rapper of all time.

I don't know about all-time, but he's shot up my list, he's gotta be the hardest working rapper out there right now too. He has a new album every other week.

"Bitches see my bitches and consider trying women"

*Ray J fist pump*

I am going to trust yall on Life is Good, but I won't be giving in til the 17th already got a few things to listen to and damn this is late but Alchemist album leaked way before it came out. That must hurt.

The no sounds better Esch :(. I might be able to make this Listening Party though.

I am going to trust yall on Life is Good, but I won't be giving in til the 17th already got a few things to listen to and damn this is late but Alchemist album leaked way before it came out. That must hurt.

this deluxe leak is actually missing Trust, a banger. It's an Itunes exclusive or whatever, but it adds that much more to the album.

PBY

Banned
Fuck it. Nas has the AOTY so far, til Cruel Summer dethrones it. And this years been pretty strong so far. Skelethon was great, no one's been talking bout it tho :/

About to head out but lemme say this first: Life Is Good is Nas' best album since It Was Written. This might be the best "grown man rap" album I've ever heard

PBY

Banned
About to head out but lemme say this first: Life Is Good is Nas' best album since It Was Written. This might be the best "grown man rap" album I've ever heard
Let's not be crazy. That being said its my 2nd fav nas album. Yeah I know- I just really haven't liked anything much he's put out since illmatic

Life Is Good.......is.......good. I hesitate to call it anything more than that right now. I feel it peaks real early with Loco-Motive being the 2nd track while the rest is just okay....except for some of the middle tracks which are weaker. I think The Black Bond and Roses should've been promoted from bonus tracks in place of Summer On Smash and Reach Out, or You Wouldn't Understand.

Esch

Banned
nah, but you would agree they can bring it harder and better than they have for the past few years, right?

Nope. Jay is sitting at zombie status, dead on arrival corpse emcee. He's a shadow of a shadow, a downright boring motherfucker that needs an incredible beat or features to save his ass.

Eminem sucks. I never really liked him. But now his music is completely wack.

HiResDes

Life Is Good.......is.......good. I hesitate to call it anything more than that right now. I feel it peaks real early with Loco-Motive being the 2nd track while the rest is just okay....except for some of the middle tracks which are weaker. I think The Black Bond and Roses should've been promoted from bonus tracks in place of Summer On Smash and Reach Out, or You Wouldn't Understand.

If you think most of the track are merely okay, then how in the hell did you come to the conclusion that it's good?

Nope. Jay is sitting at zombie status, dead on arrival corpse emcee. He's a shadow of a shadow, a downright boring motherfucker that needs an incredible beat or features to save his ass.

Eminem sucks. I never really liked him. But now his music is completely wack.

...hmmm

Esch

Banned
318808_o.gif

kamspy

Jay's verses on Why I Love You eclipse Nas' discography as a whole. Talk about technique and content. Also, No Church in the Wild.

Yall cray. Life is Good is average, uninspired. Give me Loco Motive and Nasty and yall can keep the rest. Just a collection of songs. No album flow at all. Low effort outing.

Best Nas album since IWW, not even close. This is what we been asking for: dope production for Nas to spazz on. No ID deserves mad props for crafting this into such a gem. Not only are his beats dope, you can see his finger prints throughout the record.

The album is also quite a mixture of 90s sounds with a more orchestrated, modern sheen. Reach Out especially stands out as a throwback, but it's just...dope where it could have been quite cheesy. Whereas A Queen's Story sounds like a Late Registration remix of It Was Written.

Lyrically Nas slayed every track. The only thing that feels out of place is Summer On Smash. Swizz is wack and has been wack for years, let it go. Yet Nas does his thing on the track despite how ridiculously busy the track is.

HiResDes

Jay's verses on Why I Love You eclipse Nas' discography as a whole. Talk about technique and content. Also, No Church in the Wild.

Yall cray. Life is Good is average, uninspired. Give me Loco Motive and Nasty and yall can keep the rest. Just a collection of songs. No album flow at all. Low effort outing.
I've never agreed less with a person in this thread, like you fail the GED-equivalent of the hip-hop exam for even thinking such a thing. It's like you've never heard I Gave You Power or Take It In Blood.

kamspy

He does spazz, but on a lot of them I'm reminded of that Jim Carrey gif. What the fuck are you talking about? Who the fuck are you talking to? Listen no further than the intro. It's like Aesop Nas.

I've never agreed less with a person in this thread, like you fail the GED-equivalent of the hip-hop exam for even thinking such a thing. It's like you've never heard I Gave You Power or Take It In Blood.

As a whole. That includes Nastradamus and all that garbage after IWW. Try to recite Jay's verse on Why I Love You. Shit is impossible.

He does spazz, but on a lot of them I'm reminded of that Jim Carrey gif. What the fuck are you talking about? Who the fuck are you talking to? Listen no further than the intro. It's like Aesop Nas.
Aw fuck, I might not like this Aesop Rock then....oh well going to give it a listen anyway since I bought it.

If you think most of the track are merely okay, then how in the hell did you come to the conclusion that it's good?

Ehh, maybe I should've worded differently. Loco-Motive --> A Queens Story --> Accidental Murderers is my favorite stretch, but that stretch is quite early and doesn't happen again. Then the 3 tracks I dislike most clog up the middle of the album, and the rest range from "okay" to "good." Still, that 3 track sequence raised my expectations to where the rest of the album didn't keep up.

HiResDes

Aw fuck, I might not like this Aesop Rock then....oh well going to give it a listen anyway since I bought it.

Don't listen to that shit...Seriously

As a whole. That includes Nastradamus and all that garbage after IWW. Try to recite Jay's verse on Why I Love You. Shit is impossible.
Okay, now I'm confused as to what you were saying

Edit: Jay's highs < Nas' Highs, Jay's Albums >>>>>>> Nas' Albums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom