• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

eiG7M.jpg

<3

Recon

Banned
and the undeniable fact that The Documentary is a better album..

You may have liked it better. But one is arguably one of the best hip hop albums of all time. Probably one of the most influential too. What is The Documentary? I good debut? I loved The Doc, but please.....At least go with the RED album if we are talking about GOAT status albums.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
You may have liked it better. But one is arguably one of the best hip hop albums of all time. Probably one of the most influential too. What is The Documentary? I good debut? I loved The Doc, but please.....At least go with the RED album if we are talking about GOAT status albums.

Don't get me wrong.. Illmatic is a classic.. but hardly as innovative as people give it credit for..

A good debut? naw the last classic album from west coast and maybe in hip-hop in general...

Recon

Banned
Don't get me wrong.. Illmatic is a classic.. but hardly as innovative as people give it credit for..

A good debut? naw the last classic album from west coast and maybe in hip-hop in general...

I cant attest to how innovative it was, as I was a young pup when it came out. But I can say it probably influenced my taste in hip hop and was my first "oh shit, hip hop is more than just a hot beat and nonsense on the mic". The Documentary is a damn fine album, but I would hesitate to label it a classic. I can also name about 10 albums I think are better than it that came out after it. But, thats just me.

RC

Banned
I forget, did I tell Gaf-Hop about what I thought about "It Was Written"? I gotta say, I never really thought Nas was the best of all time like a lot of others, but this album probably is the closest thing that any of his work has come to reaching Illmatic levels. It's like a real great album that lacks some memorable stuff to keep it on that higher plane of rap existence.

I've always felt It was Written never got the respect it deserved. An underapprecated almost classic.

Blackace

I cant attest to how innovative it was, as I was a young pup when it came out. But I can say it probably influenced my taste in hip hop and was my first "oh shit, hip hop is more than just a hot beat and nonsense on the mic". The Documentary is a damn fine album, but I would hesitate to label it a classic. I can also name about 10 albums I think are better than it that came out after it. But, thats just me.

I can't think of many albums that were as versatile as the Documentary.. You had jams, ganagsta shit, songs with depth and so on.. It blended West and East almost perfectly.. And like Nas it has allowed the Game to release trash and get passes because of it.. It is Game's Doggystyle, his Illmatic..

Recon

Banned
I can't think of many albums that were as versatile as the Documentary.. You had jams, ganagsta shit, songs with depth and so on.. It blended West and East almost perfectly.. And like Nas it has allowed the Game to release trash and get passes because of it.. It is Game's Doggystyle, his Illmatic..

I agree with your assessment of the album, just not your placement.

Blackace

I never said you did. I just dont feel it was as influential or great as Illmatic. Thats all.

I don't know.. like you said as a youngster Illmatic influenced your taste. I am pretty sure the next generation can say that about the Doc.. Just like I say that about Straight Outta Compton..

Blackace

At worst Nas has released 2 great albums. It just happens that one is god tier, and the other is just great.

ehh.. He released a classic and bunch of "I wish he could find some producers like his single albums"..

Recon

Banned
I don't know.. like you said as a youngster Illmatic influenced your taste. I am pretty sure the next generation can say that about the Doc.. Just like I say that about Straight Outta Compton..

I guess I just dont see it. Even back then, people were giving Nas recognition for being one of the greats. How many of his peers have cited Illmatic has being a big part of their lives? I just cant see The Documentary being that big. But, I am not a young dude anymore, so I really dont have that perspective.

ehh.. He released a classic and bunch of "I wish he could find some producers like his single albums"..

I thought It Was Written.. was a pretty damn great follow up. But when your debut is Illmatic, nothing is gonna sound that good as the follow up.

Blackace

I guess I just dont see it. Even back then, people were giving Nas recognition for being one of the greats. How many of his peers have cited Illmatic has being a big part of their lives? I just cant see The Documentary being that big. But, I am not a young dude anymore, so I really dont have that perspective.

I thought It Was Written.. was a pretty damn great follow up. But when your debut is Illmatic, nothing is gonna sound that good as the follow up.

I think the Game just got outed as being a buster so he lost a lot of cred.. so his bid for being one of the greatest left as soon as it came.. but when Doc was dropped people thought he was going to be a pillar for a sec..

It Was Written was very good... had some great songs but never flowed very well to me..

RC

Banned

Your selling his library short. And I didn't find the Documentary to be all that remarkable. Hardly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Illmatic.

Recon

Banned
I think the Game just got outed as being a buster so he lost a lot of cred.. so his bid for being one of the greatest left as soon as it came.. but when Doc was dropped people thought he was going to be a pillar for a sec..

It Was Written was very good... had some great songs but never flowed very well to me..

I think that is the reason the Documentary will never be as influential as Illmatic. Maybe it isnt fair, but that album will be forever tainted with how shitty the game turned out to be. And that is coming from someone who honestly thought the RED album was above average. Nas just never put out something as good as Illmatic, the game became a running joke.

Blackace

Your selling his library short. And I didn't find the Documentary to be all that remarkable. Hardly deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Illmatic.

You are overrating his library because he made Illmatic..

and really overrating Illmatic if you think that album as good as the Doc can't even mention with it...

Blackace

I think that is the reason the Documentary will never be as influential as Illmatic. Maybe it isnt fair, but that album will be forever tainted with how shitty the game turned out to be. And that is coming from someone who honestly thought the RED album was above average. Nas just never put out something as good as Illmatic, the game became a running joke.

I can agree with that.. but most of the rappers are false anyways so I can look past that..

RC

Banned
You are overrating his library because he made Illmatic..

and really overrating Illmatic if you think that album as good as the Doc can't even mention with it...

Didn't think it was possible to overrate a classic.
But you've inspired me to give the Doc another listen. See if It deserves the praise you're showering it with.

Blackace

Didn't think it was possible to overrate a classic.
But you've inspired me to give the Doc another listen. See if It deserves the praise you're showering it with.

You can overrated anything.

Give it a spin and see what you think..

Blackace

Wouldn't want to get sued for false advertisement huh

I get paid quite a lot for 50 mins to 90 mins worth of work so someone thinks it pretty good..

continue photoshopping PD and Pac pictures and shut your pie hole

Blackace

It's all I'll be listening to in the car tomorrow. And out of curiosity what did you think of Life is Good? I don't come to this thread as often as I should.

Thought it had some highs.. but was still just so-so in the end..

Recon

Banned
Well, I think you could probably play off a big song or something.

Ex. "Finally Spinning" -Finally Famous

Something like that could probably work(not my example, but something good).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom