• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
I hated Gucci for a long time, but i got stuck on a couple of remixes and now im BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BRIIIIIIIIIIIIICICCCCCKKKSSQQQUUAUAAADDD.

Its inevitable.

Recon

Banned
I hated Gucci for a long time, but i got stuck on a couple of remixes and now im BURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BRIIIIIIIIIIIIICICCCCCKKKSSQQQUUAUAAADDD.

Its inevitable.

It isnt his content, I just find his flow horrible. Like, I can tolerate Wacka, but Guccis voice makes me want to rip holes in my ears.

HiResDes

Listening to 2 recs from you guys...

Flatbush Zombies are alright I guess. Remind me of a really underground and unappealing ASAP sound. I can fuck with it though. Its gritty.

On the other hand, this Jarron Benton tape is just trash. Like...just trash. Like a really crap Danny Brown impression for most of it. Actually a lot of these songs just sound like bad impressions. I think yall just like self-styled oddball rappers for the sake of it.

1/2 is aight tho.
Jarren has more in common with early em than danny brown, but i wouldn't expect you to like it, you're more into that easy listening lane of rap

ecurbj

I'm kinda liking Kid Ink debut album "Up & Away". Really good in my opinion so far. I know I'm late to listening to it but it's nice.

OG Kush

Really happy for Nas. He deserves it. Nas and RZA are probably the only 2 rappers I'd really love to sit down with and pick their brain.
Also, Nas is releasing a book called It Ain't Hard to Tell.. I'm definietly copping.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have you seen Nas interviews?
Especially the Peter Rosenberg interview/sit down.

Every Nas interview ends in embarrassment, without fail.

The last one with Rap Genius for instance, the first words to come out of Nas' mouth is "Wool produces electricity and stuff namsayin'."

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You suffer from Narcolepsy? That shit sucks bro.

Maybe it's a good album. Maybe the 2 times I've tried to listen to it I just wasn't in the mood for it. But as of right now, I haven't found anything that caught my ear on it outside of Nasty.

Recon

Banned
Maybe it's a good album. Maybe the 2 times I've tried to listen to it I just wasn't in the mood for it. But as of right now, I haven't found anything that caught my ear on it outside of Nasty.

Yeah, I was just giving you shit. I just have a hard time seeing anyone falling asleep to Accident Murderers. Might be one of my favorite tracks of the year.

The last one with Rap Genius for instance, the first words to come out of Nas' mouth is "Wool produces electricity and stuff namsayin'."

The best Nas interview is still
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ_c59OBrgg

ahhx.png

Esch

Banned
My biggest problem with Hip Hop Is Dead was, if you gonna title your album that, you better come correct.

it's okay to say it fucking sucks. That its a fucking shitty album. That if i had a physical copy you would use it for target practice.

aint nothing wrong with that.

Recon

Banned
it's okay to say it fucking sucks. That its a fucking shitty album. That if i had a physical copy you would use it for target practice.

aint nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, it sucked. But, I was use to shitty Nas albums by that point. The title just pisses me off.

Esch

Banned
Ok, sub par. I dont think its "bad" though.

To me it has way too many tracks, way too many shitty tracks, and the production on it is just hot garbage. This is the inconsistency thing that I talk about with Nas. Usually his lyrical game is on point. But more often then not he'll churn out some shit in large quantities that is just so mind numbingly boring that I'll end up hating it way more than if i had just eaten a couple shit nuggets.

Like the difference between eating 2 slices of little caesars and attempting to down as much of a pizza hut pie as you can.

On another subject. Anyone else agree with me that Eminem is a pretty underrated producer?Now, Im not saying he is the greatest or even close. But for awhile, Em's production was very unique. Just take a look at his wiki page for his production.Much better than his acting anyways.

Yeah but how many of those are him going "Yo Dre, I have no snare. I have no snare in my headphones" then getting a production credit?

But no really, I kind of agree. Warrior Part 2 is a good beat anyway.

Recon

Banned
Yeah but how many of those are him going "Yo Dre, I have no snare. I have no snare in my headphones" then getting production credit?

But no really, I kind of agree. Warrior Part 2 is a good beat anyway.

You notice a lot of those have co production credit. He still has plenty with just himself though. I think for awhile, if you wanted an Em feature, you also had to buy an Em beat, because most of his features are on his own production.

IrishNinja

God's Son is aight. some nice highs, some definitely skippables.

Really happy for Nas. He deserves it. Nas and RZA are probably the only 2 rappers I'd really love to sit down with and pick their brain.
Also, Nas is releasing a book called It Ain't Hard to Tell.. I'm definietly copping.

might have to read this one! i dug both of RZAs and

shit im gonna end up rubbernecking this one
i still wonder if that 50 laws of power one went well

ps kams good call on Gilla House << hot shit

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hip Hop is Dead is pretty dope. Life is Good is just slightly worse. The best way of describing Life is Good IMO is to say it's the best Nas album since HHiD. That shit was more cohesive that anything Nas has put out in a decade.

EDIT: May as well put my impressions of Life is Good here. I've been listening to it a lot, which is kind of weird. I like so many songs off of it, which is also weird. I'm convinced I just don't know what I want from Nas anymore. It's like I have a constant disappointment even when he does put out dope songs. World is an Addiction is by far and away the stand out track. Anthony Hamilton + Nas make a great combination, they coincidentally had the one of the best songs off of Hip Hop is Dead too. I think Nas deserves the sales he was able to achieve though. For such a long hiatus, he put work in and made a lot of these songs good enough for people to know Nas has still got it.

And GFID is disappointing. I think peterb0y had the best review in this thread; it's like he's trying to distance himself from the Teflon Don sound and make a new sound while still trying to clutch onto some elements, causing the entire thing to fail altogether. Also PD made a good point about him making it for women to buy, it's clearly noticeable.

Yeah, it does suffer from bad production. But that has been a Nas staple for awhile now.

On another subject. Anyone else agree with me that Eminem is a pretty underrated producer?Now, Im not saying he is the greatest or even close. But for awhile, Em's production was very unique. Just take a look at his wiki page for his production.Much better than his acting anyways.

Didn't realize Em produced all of Loyal to the Game, pretty cool.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Hip Hop is Dead is pretty dope. Life is Good is just slightly worse. The best way of describing Life is Good IMO is to say it's the best Nas album since HHiD. That shit was more cohesive that anything Nas has put out in a decade.

EDIT: May as well put my impressions of Life is Good here. I've been listening to it a lot, which is kind of weird. I like so many songs off of it, which is also weird. I'm convinced I just don't know what I want from Nas anymore. It's like I have a constant disappointment even when he does put out dope songs. World is an Addiction is by far and away the stand out track. Anthony Hamilton + Nas make a great combination, they coincidentally had the one of the best songs off of Hip Hop is Dead too. I think Nas deserves the sales he was able to achieve though. For such a long hiatus, he put work in and made a lot of these songs good enough for people to know Nas has still got it.

And GFID is disappointing. I think peterb0y had the best review in this thread; it's like he's trying to distance himself from the Teflon Don sound and make a new sound while still trying to clutch onto some elements, causing the entire thing to fail altogether. Also PD made a good point about him making it for women to buy, it's clearly noticeable.

HHiD is really dope... But still like his fourth or fifth best album.

Really not a good point considering all of his albums but his first one are on that..

The thing about GFID is that nothing really hits hard as BMF/MC Hammer like in Teflon Don. He tries to capture that raw shit in some tracks but imo he never gets that far. Then from tracks 11-14, the tone of the album gets way too soft. Honestly, I wish those tracks didn't exist and I'd like the album more.

and by the way:

THESE N*GGAS WON'T HOLD ME BACK
THESE HOES WON'T HOLD ME BACK

song cracks me the fuck up

Macca

What'd he get you? love sharing alcohol, but not Scotch because people never end up liking or appreciating it. I can't tell you how many times I've given a friend a dram of good scotch, even cut light with some generous water, and people pull faces or don't finish it.

there are a few good cheap scotch options though, Teachers and Black Bottle are stellar for the price. that's my getting hammered or sharing scotch.
Late on this, but a Laphroaig 18 year old. Didn't really want to just crack it open at 3 in the morning watching bullshit olympics haha.

Blackace

The thing about GFID is that nothing really hits hard as BMF/MC Hammer like in Teflon Don. He tries to capture that raw shit in some tracks but imo he never gets that far. Then from tracks 11-14, the tone of the album gets way too soft. Honestly, I wish those tracks didn't exist and I'd like the album more.

and by the way:

THESE HOES WON'T HOLD ME BACK

song cracks me the fuck up

I think Wacka cut him off from Lex...

Teflon Don has a bunch of well done, well thought out SONGS. Since then, Ross seems unable to craft an actual song. Just a few bars and a chorus where he repeats the hook line over and over again. I dunno wtf happened...

Blackace

Teflon Don has a bunch of well done, well thought out SONGS. Since then, Ross seems unable to craft an actual song. Just a few bars and a chorus where he repeats the hook line over and over again. I dunno wtf happened...

I think GFID is a very well crafted CD.. It's not as good as TD but a good release.

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member
Been away from my computer for a few days but quite a few things have come to my attention in the meantime. Action Bronson is a frontrunner for greatest rap lines spat this year on Midget Cough (teaming back up with Party Supplies) when he goes "Shoot eagles on the Jack Nicklaus course, Porsche with the triple exhaust, seats soft like a midgets cough".

Action Bronson - Midget Cough

I should also add that the above song is off of a new Mick boogie mixtape called Represent The Stripes that I've not had a chance to listen to or know where to get from yet but should be easy enough for anyone interested here to google.

Rich Boy and Supa Villain are finally doing a full joint mixtape together which should be real good and a couple of tracks have already leaked off of it.

Rich Boy & Supa Villain - High Class & Country ft. Playboi Lo

Rich Boy & Supa Villain - They Love It

Supa of Sortahuman has got a project out with Shawn Kemp (who produced all of Lil Ugly Mane's Mista Thug Isolation)

SupaSonic

zCr55.jpg

I'm biased on this next one as I am quite into G-Side, but if you have any love for screwed and chopped music, I can't recommend this new project where some guy called Trappadon screwed and chopped their music highly enough. Block Beattaz production is just an insanely good fit for this shit.

G-Side - Chopped And Screwed By Trappadon

rISTe.jpg

Tree has a new EP out that is all produced by Tony Baines. Not had a chance to listen to it yet and although i'm a little weary as a big draw of Tree's music is his own production, i'm definitely willing to give the man who blessed us with Sunday School a listen on whatever.

Tree & Tony Baines - The Lit

Hmyv3.jpg

Zed Zilla is back with the sequel to Rents Due. While I was only enamored with a few joints on his first one i've been pretty impressed with the leaks of this one so far so i'm hopeful this is gonna be a good release in full.

Zed Zilla - Rents Due 2

wErAA.jpg

His fellow Tennessee rapper Starlito also has a new project out and if you haven't listened to Mental Warfare you should as you're missing out on one of the better projects of this year.

Starlito - Post-Traumatic Stress

sbZO1.jpg

Lastly, Fly Lo has done another beat for someone to rap over that is pretty cool.

Jeremiah Jae - Cat Fightttttt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom