• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

surprised no one mentioned "unbelievable"
The lyrics and flow on that song is one of his best

Live from Bedford-Stuyverson, the livest one

the opening bars kill me, mad underrated track.

Biggie still, and probably always will, hold the crown for most memorable opening line in any song, in rap history. Hell, it's probably in the running for most memorable of all time.

Say it with me, "It was all a dream...."

Shivers.

yeah, that shit's pretty iconic now, looking at the model that so many've followed since. what sucks though? i think it's missing heart now. biggie talked about bringing up his people and all that, now half the "i made it!" tracks are just bitter ego-fests. they miss that part.

I love Brooklyn's Finest too cause it's nice to hear him just being hype on it. You can hear how happy he was to rhyme with Jay. If he lived, the true Watch The Throne would've been an album by those two.

yeah, i don't doubt this for a minute.

RIP BIGGIE

Everyday Struggle.

My personal favorite Big song.

fuck, excellent call - i left off a few tracks to let others jump in, but that was my shit in the day, think i played it till i scratched the disc.

I wonder how Biggie's career would have gone if he had lived through the shooting. Would he be another broke ass bitter NY rapper sending subliminals at Jay-Z? Would he have followed Diddy's flossy excess wave?

I remember reading that he wanted to go back to his roots for his third album: no glitz, little promotion, just gutter shit, black album cover with nothing on it, etc.

that last bit sounds interesting, idve loved to have seen it.
thinking on it though: i cant see jay letting big not eat, and big woudlve stayed relevant cause he was either flowing with trends or making them. it's harder for me to say if pac would have a spot right now, but biggie, i cant see him not making money and staying in it as long as he wants.

Biggie had more talent in one fat roll than the entire clan, and I love 36 Chambers.

First two lupe albums are fantastic and are well regarded.

i was gonna comment, but these two quotes tie themselves up nicely. a lupe stan can say stuff like this, i guess, haha.

Recon

Banned
Nothing I said was controversial. Some of you have dicks so far up your ears you forget Lupe was a critic and fan favorite before LASERS. Y'all have LASER goggles on now.

Recon

Banned
the hell is OB4CL

also peterboy, you liked a weeknd remix tape a while back. i can't find the link, do you still have it?

YO, THAT SOUNDS DOPE.

OugvB.jpg

The Weeknd – More Balloons Sango Remix [Mixtape]

the-weeknd-balloonsofhaus.jpg

The Weeknd – Balloons of Haus (Prod. By Chi Duly) [Mixtape]

njean777

He's right. If somebody says they're not a big Wu fan, you think they're a little odd, maybe not an East Coast dude. If somebody says they don't like Ready to Die, your initial thought is they don't know shit about rap. Shits just on another level.

Yes Recon is right in this situation IMO also. Ready To Die is my favorite album from the 90's. Big was a a beast (literally and figuratively). Wu-Tang is great, but not on the same level as Big.

Nothing I said was controversial. Some of you have dicks so far up your ears you forget Lupe was a critic and fan favorite before LASERS. Y'all have LASER goggles on now.

I can cop to this, before Lasers the hip hop threads here showed nothing but love for Lupe, but now they think he is a joke. I still am hoping that he returns to form, but I was also in the minority that didn't hate Lasers.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Yes Recon is right in this situation IMO also. Ready To Die is my favorite album from the 90's. Big was a a beast (literally and figuratively). Wu-Tang is great, but not on the same level as Big.

I can cop to this, before Lasers the hip hop threads here showed nothing but love for Lupe, but now they think he is a joke. I still am hoping that he returns to form, but I was also in the minority that didn't hate Lasers.
how small is this minority.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
and the lupe hate cycle is in full swing. who hear thinks next lupe album will be crap ( i do ). i can't wait for the salty tears of njean77777777777

T Dollarz

I literally listened to Lasers once and never again. If I had a physical copy I would have thrown that shit in the pond by my house real talk.

CRS

I listened to it a couple times and that's all I really needed. Knowing what I was getting myself into the second time, I tried to give it another chance but even then it did nothing for me.

I'm pretty much apathetic towards any Lupe music/news right now. Pretty sure all it takes for him to get my attention is another Go 2 Sleep though.

overcast

Everyone in this thread will listen to Lupe's next official album. That's for sure.

Saying his first 2 albums aren't classic is simply not true.

cdyhybrid

I wasn't personally offended by LASERS or anything, but I was supremely disappointed by it after the genius of his first two albums. LASERS has a few catchy tracks that I might not skip on shuffle, but if I want to dial up some Lupe, LASERS will always be a last resort.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bout to go ahead and grab one of those BTH vinyl editions. But should I get that Blue edition or the special edition which only had 500 copies pressed?

OG Kush

Seriously, Liquid swords not a classic now?! As Chris Rock said:
"For my money, Liquid Swords is the best Wu-Tang Clan album. It's like the Songs in the Key of Life of rap. It's so fucking smart and so hard. Everybody's on there, too. You don't really need a Wu-Tang album; Liquid Swords is all you really need to know. As you grow older, you look for records that hold up. And Liquid Swords holds up."

njean777

and the lupe hate cycle is in full swing. who hear thinks next lupe album will be crap ( i do ). i can't wait for the salty tears of njean77777777777

Ha, you wont see any tears from me, after listening to rock for the last 15 years or so I have no more tears for bands/artists that go to shit anymore. Lupe isnt even near shit considering how far artist fall in the rock genre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dcCfQy3EvQ

Shad- Freestyle

Seriously, Liquid swords not a classic now?! As Chris Rock said:
"For my money, Liquid Swords is the best Wu-Tang Clan album. It's like the Songs in the Key of Life of rap. It's so fucking smart and so hard. Everybody's on there, too. You don't really need a Wu-Tang album; Liquid Swords is all you really need to know. As you grow older, you look for records that hold up. And Liquid Swords holds up."

I dont think anybody is arguing that it doesnt hold up, they are arguing that it isnt on Biggies level, which I agree with that sentiment.

PBY

Banned
Observation- I think schoolboy q is the most interesting/least boring rapper out right now. By that I mean the ability to always change up intonation, flow, delivery, etc. I thought em was the king at this a while back, but damn if schoolboy doesn't just hold your interest thru every second of every verse he's on

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Wu died in 1996. Everything after that has been a shambling zombie corpse that at times resembled Wu but mostly just stumbled around groaning as it disintegrated before our eyes.

But comparing Ready to Die with Liquid Swords is just fucking stupid. Two completely different albums in every way. Both are fantastic, for very different reasons.

Ready To Die = classic
Liquid Swords = classic
The Cool = not a classic

Would people here seriously call The Cool a classic?
It's not on the level of the other two in any way whatsoever.
So what does that make those? Classic-ier?
Are they A* classics whilst The Cool is a B+ classic?
In what definition of classic does The Cool share space with 36 Chambers, The Chronic, Straight Outta Compton, etc?
I struggle to see the definitions people are upholding when you can claim The Cool as a classic record of the hip-hop genre, I really do.

tmdorsey

Wu died in 1996. Everything after that has been a shambling zombie corpse that at times resembled Wu but mostly just stumbled around groaning as it disintegrated before our eyes.

But comparing Ready to Die with Liquid Swords is just fucking stupid. Two completely different albums in every way. Both are fantastic, for very different reasons.

Pretty much the truth right here. You really can't compare those albums. Honestly I think Liquid Swords is a little overrated. Good album, but I just couldn't get into the beats for alot of the songs. Shadowboxing is a fucking classic song though.

I will say that Biggie is a better overall rapper than GZA. GZA at times would get too cerebral with his lyrics and his "flow" leaves a bit to be desired. Don't get me wrong he has some classic verses though. His verse on Protect your Neck will always be one of the all time great verses, but Biggie had the flow, lyrics, story telling ability. Just all around better.

fSupH.jpg

My armband is an eagle, your argument is invalid.

Ready To Die = classic
Liquid Swords = classic
The Cool = not a classic

Would people here seriously call The Cool a classic?
It's not on the level of the other two in any way whatsoever.
So what does that make those? Classic-ier?
Are they A* classics whilst The Cool is a B+ classic?
In what definition of classic does The Cool share space with 36 Chambers, The Chronic, Straight Outta Compton, etc?
I struggle to see the definitions people are upholding when you can claim The Cool as a classic record of the hip-hop genre, I really do.

It's a "Oh it's the 00s, everything sucks but this new cat seems nice"-classic. At most.

Pretty much the truth right here. You really can't compare those albums. Honestly I think Liquid Swords is a little overrated. Good album, but I just couldn't get into the beats for alot of the songs. Shadowboxing is a fucking classic song though.

I will say that Biggie is a better overall rapper than GZA. GZA at times would get too cerebral with his lyrics and his "flow" leaves a bit to be desired. Don't get me wrong he has some classic verses though. His verse on Protect your Neck will always be one of the all time great verses, but Biggie had the flow, lyrics, story telling ability. Just all around better.

The fuck am I even reading.

Yo, too many songs, weak rhymes that's mad long
Make it brief Son, half short and twice strong
No doubt, it took time searchin, eventually
It was prime urgent, for you to examine the rhyme merchant
Lace MC's with styles when they rhyme drunk
On a label hunt, until twenty thou, out the trunk
Eight Diagram sword swinga armored tank force
RZA throw in the disc but then change the bang source
You can't flow, must be the speech impediment
You got lost off the snare off Impeach the President
Whether in Amsterdam smokin seven grams of green