• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Rlb4k.gif

“The music from Lana’s Born To Die… remixed and resampled. The lyrics from Biggie’s Ready To Die… still timeless after all these years. It’s a perfect marriage… dark and mysterious… soulful and gritty. Lana told Vogue Magazine that Biggie was one of her biggest musical influences… and now… he is her musical collaborator. I present to you… Born Ready To Die.”

Stream/More Info

Download

Bishman

Observation- I think schoolboy q is the most interesting/least boring rapper out right now. By that I mean the ability to always change up intonation, flow, delivery, etc. I thought em was the king at this a while back, but damn if schoolboy doesn't just hold your interest thru every second of every verse he's on

I agree. Schoolboy Q is my favorite rapper right now. He keeps you engaged through all his songs.

Recon

Banned
fSupH.jpg

My armband is an eagle, your argument is invalid.

It's a "Oh it's the 00s, everything sucks but this new cat seems nice"-classic. At most.

He was already known for Food & Liquor, so that argument is bullshit. Also, The Cool has one song I skip, everything else is great. I can only think of two other albums with no shippable tracks, and those are Illmatic and ATLiens. You dont consider it a classic, fine, but a bunch of people do.

He was already known for Food & Liquor, so that argument is bullshit. Also, The Cool has one song I skip, everything else is great. I can only think of two other albums with no shippable tracks, and those are Illmatic and ATLiens. You dont consider it a classic, fine, but a bunch of people do.

I don't hate old-Lupe, but The Cool isn't even in my Top 10 of 2007. Even without the instrumental albums released that year. You're the first I remember calling it a classic.

I don't hate old-Lupe, but The Cool isn't even in my Top 10 of 2007. Even without the instrumental albums released that year. You're the first I remember calling it a classic.

Actually I think you're one of the few people who aren't...definitely the case with it not being in the top 10 for that year

It not being in someone's top 10 of 07 isn't that far fetched really

People who released albums in 2007. Jay-z, Kanye, Little Brother, UGK, Common, Pharoahe Monch, Ghostface Killah, El-P, CunningLynguists, and Chamillionaire.

Acid08

Banned
It not being in someone's top 10 of 07 isn't that far fetched really

People who released albums in 2007. Jay-z, Kanye, Little Brother, UGK, Common, Pharoahe Monch, Ghostface Killah, El-P, CunningLynguists, and Chamillionaire.
Chamillionaire, are you srs?

C'mon son- not in your top 10? :/

2007 right? Stuff I liked better:

Phat Kat - Carte Blanche
Marco Polo - Port Authority
Pharoahe Monch - Desire
Brother Ali - The Undisputed Truth
Blu & Exile - Below the Heavens
Kanye West - Graduation
Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass
Talib Kweli & Madlib - Liberation
CunninLynguists - Dirty Acres
Evidence - The Weatherman LP
Black Milk - Popular Demand

Plus
Oh No - Dr. No’s Oxperiment
Madlib - Beat Konducta Vol. 3-4: Beat Konducta In India
Onra - Chinoiseries

It seems important to note that these three instrumental releases are 3 solid Top 10 in instrumentals overall for me, so... a bit unfair to Lupe.

To be perfectly honest, I even liked the Afro Samurai OST better... From what I've listened, I'd only put Big Doe Rehab and Killah Priest's The Offering below The Cool. And some Jedi Mind Trick shit. As I said, I don't hate it. It's a good album but I don't really get the "classic" moniker it's supposed to deserve. Call me crazy but this is my honest opinion.

TheOddOne

Finally took some time to listen to Big K.R.I.T.'s 4evaNaDay and first things first, the production on it is terrible — It sounds muffled and over-produced. KRIT's rapping is also iffy, most songs sounds like he is trying to recreate Country Shit. Still it's my first listen trought it fully, in which I even skipped a song or two, but I'm gonna try to go trough it fully next time. Maby I'm in a bad mood or maby it's just that terrible.

I personally think that Food and Liquor has aged quite horribly especially since it hasn't been out that long. I'd rather listen to the The Cool songs nowadays than F&L but maybe I'm the only one who thinks that.
Finally took some time to listen to Big K.R.I.T.'s 4evaNaDay and first things first, the production on it is terrible — It sounds muffled and over-produced. KRIT's rapping is also iffy, most songs sounds like he is trying to recreate Country Shit. Still it's my first listen trought it fully, in which I even skipped a song or two, but I'm gonna try to go trough it fully next time. Maby I'm in a bad mood or maby it's just that terrible.
Sounds like you are just a terrible listener. Give it a shot another time.

Maybe you're just in a bad mood.

DominoKid

ARRRRH HE DOESNT LIKE IT! LETS STONE HIM.

seriously though it really is an average release

cdyhybrid

I personally think that Food and Liquor has aged quite horribly especially since it hasn't been out that long. I'd rather listen to the The Cool songs nowadays than F&L but maybe I'm the only one who thinks that.

Sounds like you are just a terrible listener. Give it a shot another time.
I like The Cool better. The songs just hooked me more.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, so after Recon said Liquid Swords wasnt a classic i listened to it all the way through on the way home today. Still the best hip hop album recorded, art and wordplay, atmosphere and razor sharp rhymes. Great album and it only gets better with time.

Maybe you're just hungry.

TheOddOne

Yeah, so after Recon said Liquid Swords wasnt a classic i listened to it all the way through on the way home today. Still the best hip hop album recorded, art and wordplay, atmosphere and razor sharp rhymes. Great album and it only gets better with time.
He said that? Recon can hand in his Hiphop pass right now.

Yeah, weirdly I had the same reaction when I listen to KRIT Wuz Here the first time. I'm in bad mood, don't pay attention to me :p
Serious response though, I don't hear him trying to recreate the country shit at all. That song was honestly like bottom of the list of krit songs i thought he was trying to channel. Felt more like the vent or something.
I like The Cool better. The songs just hooked me more.

Yeah, I liked his flow on most tracks in The Cool as well.

Recon

Banned

Maybe you're just hungry.

Nope. It is a good album that doesnt click with me. But to say best hip hop album recorded, that is just some bullshit hyperbole.

Esch

Banned
Nope. It is a good album that doesnt click with me. But to say best hip hop album recorded, that is just some bullshit hyperbole.

Its what I think, so go jump off a bridge i guess. But i suppose its the same with me laughing out loud every time i see anything lupe called a classic.

Yo
I'm not caught up in politics
I'm no black activist on a so-called scholar's dick
I come through with the Wu and drop math
And versatile freestyles bombs and phonographs
and deliver, all things and other in weight
searched to death, on how living things relate
Cause at a young age, I was molded in a religion I relied on
and got caught up in superstition
Scared to split pole, duck black cats
Once in a while, threw salt over my back
But with knowledge of self from off the shelf
Made things seemed complicated now small like elves
So turn off the lights light a candle, and have a seance
Pull the lid off the Dean Martin scandal
Witches warlocks spooks and holy ghosts
RZA lets defraud the host

still sends chills up my spine.

TheOddOne

Serious response though, I don't hear him trying to recreate the country shit at all. That song was honestly like bottom of the list of krit songs i thought he was trying to channel. Felt more like the vent or something.
Weird, I actually didn't think of Vent when listening to it. Maby the production on it is very reminiscent of Country Shit, that might have triggerd me to think of that.

You know like once a week, month maybe. We should name like one album that people might consider is a great album or a classic and see who decides on what it is after a few times listening to it.

Just don't be naming clear classics like Illmatic and shit.

Just kind of funny to see people say what's classic or not.

Yeah, sorry, I can't say it's the best hip hop album recorded but Liquid Swords is still top tier Wu shit. Definitely in a top ten list of mine somewhere.

It's probably also one of my favorite album arts to this day.
liquidswords-10.5.2011.jpg

I'd get a poster of this shit if I can.

T Dollarz

Recon, you said before that you were planning on re-upping this weekend. Listen to Liquid Swords then and post your impressions in here afterwards. If you still dislike it, we shall never pester you with this talk again.

Esch

Banned
I used to get high as tits, turn off the lights, and listen to Liquid Swords at night in bed before i went to sleep. A+++ would recommend. Brings the gritty atmosphere to life.

Recon, you said before that you were planning on re-upping this weekend. Listen to Liquid Swords then and post your impressions in here afterwards. If you still dislike it, we shall never pester you with this talk again.
rofl do you know what thread you're posting in?

Edit: I'm actually listening to The Cool right now. Halfway through, and I still only like Go Go Gadget Flow and The Coolest. The rest is either boring or a bit too cheesy/poppy for my liking. Doesn't help that I'd rather listen to Liquid Swords right now...

Edit2: Little Weapon is the perfect example of what holds Lupe back for me. The verses are dope as hell but damn, the hooks just feel off most off the time. Don't like em at all.

T Dollarz

I used to get high as tits, turn off the lights, and listen to Liquid Swords at night in bed before i went to sleep. A+++ would recommend. Brings the gritty atmosphere to life.

Not gonna lie I've done this too. It was awesome, especially with the blacklight I have in my room. I usually didn't make it through the whole thing before passing out though

Yeah, Recon, try Liquid Swords out again.

I go through periods when I only listen to new shit, only to turn on a classic album one night and remember how much I loved it and most likely appreciate the lyrics and production from that classic album even more.

KAiFX.jpg

The day that Liquid Swords arrive for you, it was a classic.

To me it was just a regular great album.
Hahaha.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Liquid swords is a fantastic album, it may indeed be a classic even. But best rap album of all time? Fuckoutofheregosuckagoatdick.

Recon

Banned
I am willing to give it another go tonight. If I dont go out, I will sit back, smoke, and listen to some hip hop. But all next week is me about to go beast mode on this mic. I got my fucking inspiration and rage back. Shits gonna be crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom