• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recon

Banned
Marketing Cole as that backpacker dude makes sense. The complaints would never end if they tried to sell him with some gangsta image or some super-nerdy kind of image on the polar ends of the scale. It fits.

He also never marketed himself as a gangsta or anything. I dont get why people get super salty regarding Cole. He didnt drop a LASERS, he isnt offensive. Made two very good mixtapes with a decent-good debut(depending on who you ask). Yet people in this thread treat him with the same contempt as Wiz.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
He also never marketed himself as a gangsta or anything. I dont get why people get super salty regarding Cole. He didnt drop a LASERS, he isnt offensive. Made two very good mixtapes with a decent-good debut(depending on who you ask). Yet people in this thread treat him with the same contempt as Wiz.

Yeah, for the most part, Cole is Cole still. Maybe an extra fitted here and there for some promo, but dude has not radically changed his image in any way.

Mangotron

Yeah, I think Cole is just being himself. I might get hate for this, but I think the same could be said for Drake, if you look at their tapes and albums, they're pretty consistent with their style. And a Missy feature sounds pretty good tbh, she's really only put out decent stuff so far.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

He sang Paula Abdul stuff seriously. Other than that, he's just another radio rapper.

The worst thing about Cole's new popularity is that it has made him more bitter and arrogant. Expect another album with no big guest appearances or decent production.

Recon

Banned
The worst thing about Cole's new popularity is that it has made him more bitter and arrogant. Expect another album with no big guest appearances or decent production.

Fuck guest appearances. Seriously, I buy an album for the artist, not his merry band of friends. Too many artists rely on features nowadays( Ross).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What is a "radio rapper" and how is he one? Because he includes radio singles on his album?

Come on, man. If you're not even going to admit that he put out an extremely radio-friendly, popish album, I don't know what to say. It's not even a dig...it's just a fact. You can't listen to the radio for more than 10 minutes without hearing one of his songs.

I mean, Weezy's little rascals clan is much the same. Cole obviously has more talent, but he made an extremely boring, safe record.

Recon

Banned
Come on, man. If you're not even going to admit that he put out an extremely radio-friendly, popish album, I don't know what to say. It's not even a dig...it's just a fact. You can't listen to the radio for more than 10 minutes without hearing one of his songs.

I mean, Weezy's little rascals clan is much the same. Cole obviously has more talent, but he made an extremely boring, safe record.

He had two obvious Radio singles. Two other potential radio singles(Mr.Nice Watch, In The Morning). But one of the radio singles didnt even make it on the album. So you have 3 tracks out of 15 that are radio bait. Was Cole World better or as good as FNL/The Warm Up? No, but it wasnt much different either.

Fuck guest appearances. Seriously, I buy an album for the artist, not his merry band of friends. Too many artists rely on features nowadays( Ross).

I'm not saying I want him doing posse tracks with Nikki Minaj, Drake, etc. But I'd love to hear a few guest appearances, whether Nas or someone else. I'd love to see him work with other producers. Hell, whenever I hear that ugly chopping attempt during the intro of Nobody's Perfect I wish he had called up KRIT and asked him to do that part.

Recon

Banned
I'm not saying I want him doing posse tracks with Nikki Minaj, Drake, etc. But I'd love to hear a few guest appearances, whether Nas or someone else. I'd love to see him work with other producers. Hell, whenever I hear that ugly chopping attempt during the intro of Nobody's Perfect I wish he had called up KRIT and asked him to do that part.

I would be down for some Nas/KRIT features and some KRIT production. I have a feeling Cole World was just him trying to do it all on his own. I can see him branching out to others for his next one.

You make a joke about fuckin some girl raw to her face and her needing an abortion and you can't even call it a sucker punch. I saw that type of shit expecting a punch of some sort from somewhere. He even looked like he was ready for it.

Yeah he even clinched his jaw tight for the impact.

Also, Eschaton, teaching people how to punch is hard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What? Part of the reason why Cole World was great was he WAS trying to prove himself on his own, and that he didn't need other artists as crutches unless they fit what he was trying to do. I think that shit is commendable, and he succeeded. Compare that Drake's debut, the complete opposite, he was trying to get the maximum number of cosigns and presence to effectively get his way cosigned into the game and everyones head. Also successful, but a different approach for a different artist. When girls hear, "Oh Drake did a song with Jay-Z, that's so cool!" it just furthers that image and presence he has.

Cole said that he wanted to prove himself before he wanted to branch out and beg for guest appearances. Diddy personally invited him to his White Party and he declines cause he didn't think he was on that level yet. Says a lot about where he's coming from, even if you disagree with the potential industry mingling hes giving up in the process.

Second album, I guarantee there will be more guest appearances, but don't expect Thank Me Later either. I would like more outside production, but I do agree Cole seems to be slightly more "I can do it on my own" in terms of how he rolls, and that just gets in the way of what fans want, which is some crazy collabos.

The Trae the Truth joint is already so good of a posse cut from the new school if that's what your itching for. Kendrick, K.R.I.T., Cole
and Tyga
all spitting at their finest over the same track. Shit goes.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The guy honestly just needs to finally own up to the status he's been given. I'm tired of him keepin on with the "im just a kid on the come up" shit. Own the fact that Jay-Z has your back and do the shit right. Stop being such a "I'm on the bench tryin' to prove my worth.

Sick of it. completely sick of it.

Recon

Banned
The guy honestly just needs to finally own up to the status he's been given. I'm tired of him keepin on with the "im just a kid on the come up" shit. Own the fact that Jay-Z has your back and do the shit right. Stop being such a "I'm on the bench tryin' to prove my worth.

Sick of it. completely sick of it.

Lol.

I really liked Cole World at first but over time it didnt hold up for me as well as his mixtapes. The production and his rhymes were getting repetitive for me.

I cant place my finger on why I think his mixtapes (yes, both) were so brilliant and his debut being much weaker, even though they're similar.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Admittedly, I haven't gone back to Cole World as much as I thought I would, but if I put that shit on I still feel the same way I felt about those songs when they came out.

nns3d

I haven't gone back to Cole World since I first heard it outside of a couple of songs. I didn't hate the album and I think Cole's a good rapper, but Cole World just didn't really click with me like The Warm Up and Friday Night Lights.

I dont want it to be like the mixtape he just released though. I didnt like it

Edit: Talking about Krit. But I agree with the guy above me, too.

Recon

Banned
I would welcome another album from Cole just like Cole World and would be happy about it. Also, I figure KRIT's album will be good. He has dropped 3 great mixtapes in the last 2 years. 4Eva N A Day is probably one of the best mixtapes I have ever heard.

I kind of wonder if KRIT has sort of depleted his subject matter on the mixtapes. Will this be another piece that focuses on duality, partying vs self consciousness?

OG Kush

Cole is almost 30, it's time for a different marketing ploy

shit i always thought he was like 24 they way always talked about his university shit in new york and stuff.

and cole is or alteast was fucking dope. you can tell he dumbed it down for the album though. go back to his mixtapes, unreleased and features hes pretty damn good.
this has got to be my favourite:
unabomba http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4-0rfL1qk

he does look like a funny cat though.

Jay Sosa

Nah I think KRIT's album will be legit.

The only fear I have is that it'll have some awful features (Gucci, Ross and all those hilariously bad mcs that somehow are really popular) but besides that I really don't see how this album isn't going to be fantastic.

Cole's 30? WTF? I always assumed he's 25 at most.

Recon

Banned
The only fear I have is that it'll have some awful features (Gucci, Ross and all those hilariously bad mcs that somehow are really popular) but besides that I really don't see how this album isn't going to be fantastic.

He just turned 27 in January. Not quite 30.

It will have 2Chainz for sure but he's alright on those features. Stupid as hell but fun.

I don't think Gucci Mane or Rick Ross will show up.

Detox

The guys from the south always show love to up and coming southern rappers. Bun B is probably 100% going to be on a song, I would love Jeezy and Scarface to make an appearance as well.

Jay Sosa

He just turned 27 in January. Not quite 30.

Ah, I over read almost. Still a lot older than I assumed..

It will have 2Chainz for sure but he's alright on those features. Stupid as hell but fun.

Yeah 2chainz is alright, Scarface would be fantastic (even though I haven't heard much from him in quite some time) and yeah I would be surprised not to see Bun B on there. It's just that I don't trust record companies and maybe they'll force him to get some big name for the record. I'd love to hear Nas on a Krit song, I think he would sound brilliant on those southern yet soulful beats.

Recon

Banned
Give me Bun B, Big Boi(maybe outkast reunion on a track??), and Luda. Maybe 1 or 2 features from people not from the south(Cole, Lamar?) and that would be great. 4Eva N A Day was fantastic without features, so he doesnt need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom