• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned

post-56913-0-26116300-1312696461.gif

Tokubetsu

Always vastly preferred "Fear of a black planet" to "it takes a nation". It aged better. To be honest though, I was never a huge fan of chuck D, just didn't like his flow or delivery at all. Although oddly enough I enjoyed muse sick and hour mess age. Which everyone else seems to hate

You aren't the only one, I thought it was terrible and couldn't for the life of me understand why everyone was so hyped on it. Just painfully boring.

You can call Shabazz Palaces a lot of things, but I don't think you could call it boring. The production alone is very, dynamic. Boring is your biggest criticism? Kinda funny coming from GAF-Hops biggest Atmosphere stan...

Tokubetsu

I just dont like the actual rapping in shabazz really.

Which is an understandable criticism. SP is on that artsy new age experimental rap shit, not for everyone. I just don't think calling production like this (or this, boring, isn't a sincere arguement. It's dynamic, even when you look at it objectively, and dynamic by definition is the very opposite of boring/tedious. These beats go places and seldom end where they began.

blargh idk why I'm responding like this. Siddx comments don't usually urk me anymore.

//B1G

Banned
OT: beach house leak! fucking gooooood

and on the shabazz tip, i dig the dude. his rapping is kind of ehhh, but i can definitely dig his preference when it comes to production. he can do some ill stuff you usually only see in other genres. bringing that mentality to rap i hope will have some positive implications.

Kad5

Just listened to the Public Enemy album...not sure what I think of it. This might be way too old-school for my tastes. I'll listen to it some more later.

I wasn't able to make my speakers have the volume I usually have it at today so i'm hoping there are aspects of the production I simply didn't get to enjoy as much (drum, bass, etc.) The lyricism isn't bad at all.

I feel like the production might be better though if I try and listen again so we'll see what happens.

I was a fan of the Beastie Boys so i'd figure i'd enjoy this album. This might be a case of me needing to listen to it again. It's happened to me before with listening to albums so I won't dismiss it just yet.

Kad5

Good choice tho, Black Star's debut is great.

Yeah those and Mobb Deep. I've been trying to catch up with my music recently.

The sad thing is that my iPhone can only hold about 14 gb of data. I love to put music on it to play in my car. :(

Damn also De La Soul....

On the bright side I already got some great wu-tang stuff, biggie, 2pac, dizzee rascal, deltron 3030, madvillain, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

Detox

Get Krs One's A Retrospective, Straight Outta Compton and some of the Eric B and Rakim stuff if you haven't already. Also Slick Rick's album hasn't aged as much as other albums from that era so check it out.

Kad5

Which would be better for me to get:

Black star or Mos Def's debut album?

I would preferably want to get the album with better production.

Or should I get Mobb Deep's infamous?

If I have to i'll also get Mobb Deep.

overcast

Which would be better for me to get:

Black star or Mos Def's debut album?

I would preferably want to get the album with better production.

Or should I get Mobb Deep's infamous?

If I have to i'll also get Mobb Deep.
Tough choice. Black on Both Sides for me.

Kad5

Black on both sides it is then.

Also, I listened to Public Enemy's album again. It's a really good album but considering what i've already listened to it's not an album I think i'll keep on my iPhone to listen to. I'd still reccommend any hip-hop fan or anyone looking to get into the genre to listen to it for its importance and influence but for me there are other albums i'd much rather listen to for leisure.

Still good.

Detox

Come on he said or should I get Mobb Deep which means there is no contest. Get Infamous then get Hell on Earth before you start thinking about Mos. The production on Infamous is timeless the beats are pitch perfect for the mood of the album.

Tokubetsu

Black On Both Sides. Easily. I can listen to it without really skipping. I only actually like three-four songs on Black Star. "Definition", "Respiration", and "Thieves In The Night." On and off "Brown Skin Lady."

Kad5

Come on he said or should I get Mobb Deep which means there is no contest. Get Infamous then get Hell on Earth before you start thinking about Mos. The production on Infamous is timeless the beats are pitch perfect for the mood of the album.

I'll prob check out infamous no worries. ;)

Recon

Banned
I dont think there is any clear cut better album out of Black On Both Sides/Blackstar/The Infamous. I would go The Infamous only because Shook Ones pt2 may be one of the best songs out of all those albums.

Tokubetsu

Rumors going around that Diddy and Jay-Z are discussing a buyout deal for Jay Electronica and his album

ixBEHuXQ6NGSn.gif

Why? So Diddy can just shelve the album and force Elec to do some poppy shit that probably won't get released anyway? Elec needs to just setup a fucking bandcamp page, put the album up for 10 dollars and let me buy it already, jesus christ. Hell, I'm sure Stones Throw or Rhymesayers would take him. I'd like to give you 10-15 dollars Jay Electronica. I've been willing to for at least three years now. Why won't you let me?

ixBEHuXQ6NGSn.gif

Why? So Diddy can just shelve the album and force Elec to do some poppy shit that probably won't get released anyway? Elec needs to just setup a fucking bandcamp page, put the album up for 10 dollars and let me buy it already, jesus christ. Hell, I'm sure Stones Throw or Rhymesayers would take him. I'd like to give you 10-15 dollars Jay Electronica. I've been willing to for at least three years now. Why won't you let me?

To be fair, Diddy put out Janelle Monae's album without a generic pop hit. If he's truly trying to take Elec's contract, I'd imagine he just wants to release the album and eat off the 360 deal set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom