• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

//B1G

Banned
I think the term 'conscious' is getting straw manned in a way for the argument against shitty rap. What really is being discussed in other terms is music that takes time, skill and effort to be made versus the shit being put nowadays that can be thrown together in a weekend.
It's not just one or the other - conscious rap and the crunk type style, there's tons of other subgenres of rap and hip-hop that exist without fitting either of those bills.
I think that because of and in addition to the ignorant substanceless shit that gets all the airtime these days these cats aren't required or compelled to put effort into their music. All they need is a producer with a nice beat and a catchy hook to get a multimillion dollar record deal. When they're not in the game for respect of the game then why the fuck would they give a fuck?
Back in the 90's when labels didn't know if investing in this rap shit was going to be a lucrative endeavor dudes had to try way harder and push way more boundaries to get noticed. Nowadays that isn't the case.

There's tons of non-garbage rap I listen to that isn't 'conscious'. CotC! Some of the best bars in the damn history of rap and the only mention of political issues is Cam or L wanting to off jiuliani.

HARLEM NIGHTS

lol at Keef channeling his Future in No Tomorrow.

edit: album's pretty enjoyable so far. OMG @ Laughin to the Bank though. This corny ass laugh is the worst thing since ya bish.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I was told that this was the place to get some critiques on my nerdcore raps... is that correct?

Macca

Just watched The Art of Rap. Was pretty good, could've been cut down a little bit, but I enjoyed it. Great soundtrack too, as expected.

Seen Django Unchained tonight. Free bar at it too, shit was dope. Went to town on that shit, our first round was 9 jack daniels and shit just escalated after that. Movies fantastic though, definitely recommend it.

DominoKid

Seen Django Unchained tonight. Free bar at it too, shit was dope. Went to town on that shit, our first round was 9 jack daniels and shit just escalated after that. Movies fantastic though, definitely recommend it.

was it awkward when the white people laughed and the black people didnt? same for the opposite.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
that was knocking until Travis started rapping
Seriously.

I was gonna ask peter if there was anything worth checking out by Travis anyways, now I'm not sure. The production is nice though. Mike Dean <3

I've been out of the movie loop so long, this is coming out so soon?!

overcast

It was so dope. Shit was like 2 hours 45 minutes so needed 2 pisses after all the free drink. Its classic Tarantino though, if you like his movies youll love this. I thought it was better than Inglorious bastards.
Damn, better than Inglorious? That's my 2nd favorite Tarantino movie. I was pumped, but these good impressions are encouraging. Yeah, it's Christmas day in America.

Pitchfork is shit, as is Jayson Greene and his reviews.

7.5?

He gave Freeway a 5.3. No matter how mediocre Freeway may or may not have become; he's not worse than Chief Keef.

cousins

Pitchfork is often pretty terrible with hip-hop, but it's always fun to see what score they dish out. They gave Wiz's new album a 4.8 haha.

Pretty sure they gave Das Racist's tapes some really high scores and then went on to give Heem's mixtapes some shitty ones (even though Nehru Jackets is easily the best thing any of those dudes have done).

DominoKid

oh it was so true. i just feel like the writer went in w/ the intention of shitting on Game which is cool for us to do because were not getting paid for it. i'd expect a 'journalist' to approach it with some level of objectivity.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
oh it was so true. i just feel like the writer went in w/ the intention of shitting on Game which is cool for us to do because were not getting paid for it. i'd expect a 'journalist' to approach it with some level of objectivity.
I think Game makes good music but because he is such a douche he going to get shat on

cousins

Pitchfork has no objectivity, it's all that one writer's opinion. It's always hilarious when they shit on some record and it ends up on their year end list, or when it gets a great score once it's rereleased. Check out their Andrew WK reviews.

I think Game makes good music but because he is such a douche he going to get shat on
That's the worst thing, he isn't bad. He does a lot of things well, but he makes it really hard to look past his dickriding/flow jacking. His Dre obsession is embarrassing, too.

Macca

No lie, if we're going with rappers rappin for AOTY this year there is no way Chief Keef should be on the list. haha. Album aint bad,but damn he can't rap haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom