• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
Working on my album list and I need GAF Hop to mandate something for me: should BFK be considered a mixtape this year, or an album? It was released on datpiff and labeled a mixtape, but it's also being sold on iTunes...so I'm kind leaning towards putting it on my album list instead of the mixtape list...
I say album. Should go right next to trap god.

Working on my album list and I need GAF Hop to mandate something for me: should BFK be considered a mixtape this year, or an album? It was released on datpiff and labeled a mixtape, but it's also being sold on iTunes...so I'm kind leaning towards putting it on my album list instead of the mixtape list...

Why are you separating it like that anyway? Your top 10 includes both mixtapes and albums. Only thing I'd actually point out is that there actually is a difference between the free version of BFK and the paid version.

dont differentiate between albums and mixtapes anymore, only LPs and EPs

Yea makes sense. It's weird, I flip flop on this a lot. Last year I made XXX my aoty with no second thoughts. Earlier today I was looking at 2dope'z AOTY lists and they're split between LPs and mixtapes, and EPs lol

fuck it, I'm put it on my top 10 list. But I will also do a top 5 EP/mixtape list

Esch

Banned
But it's so goooood tho

so, its not hip hop. you and miri and some others need to stop trying to group shit into hip hop because it has elements of it and you like it a lot.

its so demonic friend
ufdup.png

CRS

Yea makes sense. It's weird, I flip flop on this a lot. Last year I made XXX my aoty with no second thoughts. Earlier today I was looking at 2dope'z AOTY lists and they're split between LPs and mixtapes, and EPs lol

fuck it, I'm put it on my top 10 list. But I will also do a top 5 EP/mixtape list
They probably do that to give more albums/tapes some exposure.

Your album of the year list can include full length albums and mixtapes but for the most part should not include EPs. I don't think there's an EP that I can think of the top of my head that blew me away.

kamspy

Far as mixtapes vs albums, these days if at least 80% of the beats are original I'm fine considering it an album. Or if it's 26 Plies throwaway songs, that would be a mixtape. Guess you know it when you see it.

BFK would be an album.
just not a top ten album at all

HiResDes

Far as mixtapes vs albums, these days if at least 80% of the beats are original I'm fine considering it an album. Or if it's 26 Plies throwaway songs, that would be a mixtape. Guess you know it when you see it.

BFK would be an album.
just not a top ten album at all

It's going in my top ten as well so whatever.

It's as much Hip-Hop as it is Electronic now if you want to say instrumental albums don't count then I have nothing else to say

It's not hip-hop. It's closer to dubstep than hip-hop

Esch

Banned
It's as much Hip-Hop as it is Electronic now if you want to say instrumental albums don't count then I have nothing else to say

I think its just electronic music, im not getting into 'slashies'. It's a good cut, but when i think 'TNGHT' im not like 'man this was some of the best hip hop this year. I associate both hudmo and lunice with electronic music and this EP all the same. Plus its an EP. Plus its not top 10 quality for me even if it was, something like Cigarette Boats shyts all over TNGHT.

kamspy

Yall didn't see a lack of focus on BFK?

Maybe I hold Gibbs to a higher standard. Thought BFK was gonna be the one, but it came off really wordy and almost rushed. Maybe he's gonna be one of those rappers who never releases an album that matches his potential.

I can't even put it over Str8 Killa or Midwestboxframe.

It's not bad, it just landed kinda average for me.

It's not hip-hop. It's closer to dubstep than hip-hop

Okay well based off plenty of Hip Hop sites that mention it you are one of the few that believe this therefore you are irrelevant. Include it if you want peterboy
I think its just electronic music, im not getting into 'slashies'. It's a good cut, but when i think 'TNGHT' im not like 'man this was some of the best hip hop this year. I associate both hudmo and lunice with electronic music and this EP all the same. Plus its an EP. Plus its not top 10 quality for me even if it was, something like Cigarette Boats shyts all over TNGHT.

I'm not saying it's pure hip-hop though, notice I said it's as much hip-hop as it is electronic. I can see how it leans on both sides. I think instrumental albums should have their own category anyway

HiResDes

It won't make my top ten electronic albums of the year either, but it would make the top twenty for reference.

I think Ta-ku's album is the better trap album anyway:

kamspy

Jodeye needs Lord Infamous on it instead of ASAP.

I fucks with ASAP, but that beat is too mean for the kid. Just begging for some Scarecrow.

Yall didn't see a lack of focus on BFK?

Maybe I hold Gibbs to a higher standard. Thought BFK was gonna be the one, but it came off really wordy and almost rushed. Maybe he's gonna be one of those rappers who never releases an album that matches his potential.

I can't even put it over Str8 Killa or Midwestboxframe.

It's not bad, it just landed kinda average for me.

I like it a lot, but Wanderingwind said something that I think I agree with. It kind of lacks soul. When I go back and listen to his old tapes it sounded like those tapes had some heart behind it and when I go back to BFK something just sounds off. But regardless I like it a lot.
Anyone else into Big Krit? Home town Hero, Some dayz , This Can't be all, feelin this shit.

Majority posters here are fans.

CRS

Okay well based off plenty of Hip Hop sites that mention it you are one of the few that believe this therefore you are irrelevant. Include it if you want peterboy

I'm not saying it's pure hip-hop though, notice I said it's as much hip-hop as it is electronic. I can see how it leans on both sides.
I think it's interesting all the genres your average internet/blogger hip-hop fan is exposed to now. And with the discovery of samples significantly quicker and easier than before, I think it's rare to find someone that just listens to hip-hop.

HiResDes

Jodeye needs Lord Infamous on it instead of ASAP.

I fucks with ASAP, but that beat is too mean for the kid. Just begging for some Scarecrow.

I haven't agreed with you more in a long time : )

...Also Esch did you hear of a new Nosaj Thing dropping soon?!!

Esch

Banned

I wish. My electronic fandom has completely been thrown in the bushes this year. I need to spend like 3 months digging in the crates breh. I could use a 2012 roundup like you wouldnt believe.

kamspy

I like it a lot, but Wanderingwind said something that I think I agree with. It kind of lacks soul. When I go back and listen to his old tapes it sounded like those tapes had some heart behind it and when I go back to BFK something just sounds off. But regardless I like it a lot.

I guess that's another way to put it.

Don't get me wrong, if I was talking music to a casual rap fan irl I'd rep that BFK pretty hard. I don't understand some of the copious love it get's here. There are a few bangers, just a shit ton of filler on there.

As for why it lacked soul, from the sounds of it on BFK, Snowman laced Gibbs with a nice little personal stash. Pretty good odds that Gibbs goes full Young Buck in 2012.

Woah.

Nap music needs love too, I suppose. The production is interesting, but the lyrics just float around doing nothing in particular.

Should've just let them have that. I was going to say something bout his irrelevant raps and that C4C instrumental album>El-P C4C

kamspy

Watch some Infamous interviews after the 3-6 break up. Dude is straight up living in the hood again, looking ratchet as fuck. Really shitty that such an influencing voice in hip hop is pretty much broke now and living gutter. Dude does seem pretty chemically imbalanced though. Guess anyone who really listened to his shit already knew that though.

Okay sorry this is a quick 180 haha, but maybe El-P isn't as irrelevant as I say. I say that because I just listened to some songs off it and was digging it quite a bit, but still those instrumentals>

HiResDes

It's cool, Bushwick Bill and Brotha Lynch Hung all have chemical imbalances and disorders as well...My favorite rappers are all fucked up in the head.

kamspy

C4C is a cool album. Beats are slamming. I can dig about 1 EL-P verse per beat though. It can be challenging listening to a whole album of him rapping. On features and shit it's gravy, but when I go through C4C I'm usually skipping songs after a verse and a half .

Esch

Banned
yeshrug.png
i think El spits with some genuine passon on that LP and I dont see why he's getting the slack. I think he goes hard on some of those verses. And not even in a backpack way. Some gutter shit "splash in another man's snatch get murdered"
krs.png
shit. And i never even liked him pre-2012.

Trey

Perhaps the problem for me is that RAP Music is similar enough to C4C, and at the same to so superior, that I just go to the latter for that beginning song stretch.

HiResDes

yeshrug.png
i think El spits with some genuine passon on that LP and I dont see why he's getting the slack. I think he goes hard on some of those verses. And not even in a backpack way. Some gutter shit "splash in another man's snatch get murdered"
krs.png
shit. And i never even liked him pre-2012.

YES. Spot on. Also while Killer Mike is undoubtedly the better rapper, I do enjoy El-P's lyrics slightly more for their imagination and batshit insane theatrics.

Perhaps the problem for me is that RAP Music is similar enough to C4C, and at the same to so superior, that I just go to the latter for that beginning song stretch.

I thought the the same until this afternoon. It's different enough for both of them to get on there IMO. Plus El-P and the featured artists ride the beats so well, I don't get the "nap music" stuff.

And BFK's first half is more than enough to get it into a top 10.

Esch

Banned
I think the production style and overall feel of C4C and RAP music are quite distinctly different from each other. Like for the same producer and the same year, its impressive how different each feels. I'd say El outdid or at least equalled someone equivalent like the Alchemist in this regard (making fully produced albums sound different) in 2012.

Trey

See, now I'm gonna have to do my third RAP-C4C comparison listen for some crunch time AotY consideration. Ya'll boys got me questioning myself.

It's hard to fuck with El's flow and rhyme pattern. C4C has some great songs though, especially the end track. Doubt it'll be in my top 10 though, whereas Russian Roulette is top 3 for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom