• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Yo we need an AOTY thread.

Also, 2 Chainz is prooob my man of the year, but an argument can be made for Gucci (3 FUCKING QUALITY MIXTAPES), Pusha like you said, or Kendrick despite my not loving GKMC.

Feature master of the year aka green ranger award (shamelessly ripped from KTT)? Schoolboy Q hands down no?

also 2 Chainz.
Dikembe beat him out for flash game of the year though.

VVV danny probably had my favorite feature of the year on Terrorist Threats.

HiResDes

Feature master probably goes to Danny Brown, then Styles P believe it or not. And yeah, man of the year goes to K.Dot whethet you like the album yourself or not.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
2 Chainz put in work as the feature master without a doubt

Detox

Feature killer = Nasir Jones
Hip Hop
Triple Beam Dreams
Champion
Maybach Curtains
Chain Glow
Mirage
Something
This Thing Of Ours
Hard To Love Somebody
Nothing to Lose
Kings & Queens

Man of the year = Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones

Might have lost a lot of battles but in the hiphop arena he was strong as ever. With Life is Good he showed maturity, ruthless lyricism and nostalgia turned his losses into victories. Killed features and made the song of the year: Hiphop.

Esch

Banned
you know that is a pretty good argument actually Detox

scust please dont tell me you listened to that nicki song for the Nas feature tho

Feature killer = Nasir Jones
Hip Hop
Triple Beam Dreams
Champion
Maybach Curtains
Chain Glow
Mirage
Something
This Thing Of Ours
Hard To Love Somebody
Nothing to Lose
Kings & Queens

Man of the year = Nasir bin Olu Dara Jones

Might have lost a lot of battles but in the hiphop arena he was strong as ever. With Life is Good he showed maturity, ruthless lyricism and nostalgia turned his losses into victories. Killed features and made the song of the year: Hiphop.

I was going to agree with HRD...but Detox convinced me to roll with the GOAT

Detox

you know that is a pretty good argument actually Detox

scust please dont tell me you listened to that nicki song for the Nas feature tho

His verse is dope. Everyone came correct on the song, as good as Drake and Nicki can at least. Jeezy just sounds like he is about to die that's the only thing wrong really.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Feature master probably goes to Danny Brown, then Styles P believe it or not. And yeah, man of the year goes to K.Dot whethet you like the album yourself or not.
Nah, K. Dot's work this year pretty much starts and ends with GKMC, with a side of Cartoons & Cereal. All his features and other work this year has been largely forgettable.

Esch

Banned
no stop it slime. he brought the ruckus on illuminate, power circle, catch a fade rtc. plus all the other tracks not on GKMC like cartoons and cereal, westside right on time, recipe etc. Kendrick is easily moty for our genre inside hip hop and out of it. on commercial, cultural and critical levels

PBY

Banned
no stop it slime. he brought the ruckus on illuminate, power circle, catch a fade rtc. plus all the other tracks not on GKMC like cartoons and cereal, westside right on time, recipe etc. Kendrick is easily moty for our genre inside hip hop and out of it. on commercial, cultural and critical levels
I can agree w all of this.

CRS

Catch a Fade lives and dies with Kendrick. That's how big of a feature it was. His feature on Fuckin' Problems was forgettable so he wasn't that consistent.

Esch

Banned
kendrick could have easily put out another EP with all the piff he dropped this year. i even grouped all of those tracks into a little cut i call GKMC prologue (lol)

Cancer 4 Cure is a top 5 lock for me i think

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
kendrick could have easily put out another EP with all the piff he dropped this year. i even grouped all of those tracks into a little cut i call GKMC prologue (lol)
All those tracks were already on a tape called Good Kid In A Mad City, pretty much a fan-made cut tracks tape early on in the year. Thing is, a lot of the tracks were wack on there too. The minority were the standouts, Cartoons & Cereal, Westside, Right On Time and The Relevant.

I don't think of Kendrick as someone who killed features this year. The most notable ones were Blessed and I'm On anyways. Then there's a bunch of trash like B Boyz, Fucking Problem, 100 (even though the song is good) and I'm sure there were a few poor pop-crossover joints too like the token Rihanna track you do when your a newcomer.

PBY

Banned
One final point about Kendrick- while the recipe is without a doubt a strong SOTY contender, I liked catch a fade and cartoons/cereal more than anything else on that album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wrote a long post and realized Kendrick is probably man of the year by the end of it. *holds L*

But only because 2Chainz hasn't been too hot feature-wise either, better than Kendrick but not significantly better, otherwise 2Chainz has accomplished much more this year and his story is much more impressive, from nobody to probably one the most prominent figure in rap outside of Ross and legends like Ye and Jay. I just think you need to be more than just Man of Q4 or when your album drops, but I guess the implications of an album like GKMC doing good on hip-hop at large overshadow that. Only evidence of said influence would solidify that.

Kendrick is runner up for me, but I personally have to give it to 2chainz and one huge reason is because even on songs he wasn't on I would hear his presence. Quite a few rappers would make references to him in their verses and everything even though he wasn't on the song. Maybe that is stupid to consider for Man of the Year but personally I think it is quite a big deal when you are often mentioned or your lyrics are referenced on songs you haven't even worked on. Not only that but within the same year you have dropped those songs.

PBY

Banned
Kendrick is runner up for me, but I personally have to give it to 2chainz and one huge reason is because even on songs he wasn't on I would hear his presence. Quite a few rappers would make references to him in their verses and everything even though he wasn't on the song. Maybe that is stupid to consider for Man of the Year but personally I think it is quite a big deal when you are often mentioned or your lyrics are referenced on songs you haven't even worked on. Not only that but within the same year you have dropped those songs.
Makes perfect sense. I'm also picturing this with dat silky snoop voice, which adds a lot of weight to your arguments.

Also Gucci put in work this year but no one cared apparently.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Goddamnit this post has me reconsidering. This is so damn true.

I think the growth to the force he is in a single year is far more impressive than people thinking Kendrick might flop right up until the album hits because of the uncertainty of him working with Dre. Two tours to attract polarizing ends of the market, getting cosigned by one of the biggest stars in the game and being featured on the biggest song of the summer, being part of one of the biggest posse movements all year, being featured some of on the biggest tracks all year, the list goes on. Kendrick's list of accomplishments is impressive too, but the biggest stuff and much of the anticipation occurred on the tail end of 2011, including the Dre cosign.

HiResDes

2012 will be remembered as the year of Kendrick as he graces the top of critics lists and cements his debut as a potential classic all while reinvorigating the west by bigging up TDE and older west coast standbys like Eiht and Game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
2012 will be remembered as the year of Kendrick as graces the top of critics lists and cements his debut as a potential all while reinvorigating the west by bigging up TDE and older west coast standbys like Eiht and Game.
If we could, TDE would be man of the year.

Despite me not liking Control System, they've owned this year with H&C, Control System and GKMC. My top two are TDE releases, I'm just curious whether the rest of the team can carry the momentum into 2012 and whether Interscope/Dre will support the rest of them as well as they did Kendrick.

mooooose

The rise of TDE was amazing. They went from barely being on my radar to being my favorite clique in a year (other than Jay Rock who I think is kind of boring but I haven't given him a huge chance).

2Chainz is man of the year because I had no idea who he was in January and since then, he has shown up on tons of major songs with basically every major artist (Kanye, Drake, Nicki all being HUGE hits) AND he was on Mercy, which I would call the biggest hip hop song this year, and he had arguably the most memorable verse (besides Big Sean talking about asses in the beginning).

2Chainz's verse on Mercy made him, in my opinion.

And he capitalized on all that momentum with a decent album with good singles and the most classic cover in hip hop since the 90s.

When I think of this year, I think of the rise of TDE, Danny Brown, and 2Chainz. The first was a gradual build, but a wave of music you couldn't ignore, they ran the game. The second was the backseat master, destroying features, becoming so much more prominent and really finding his place. 2Chainz literally came out of nowhere and destroyed it.

Biggest flops this year was Rick Ross IMO. At the beginning of the year he had so much more star power, now he means so little. Dude is done. Also Flocka and Gucci are pretty much done, which sucks. Also mainstream NY punchline rappers, all of them, except French.

I might get shit for this but fuck it: I'm no 2Chainz fan overall but dude has some of the best punchlines and lines in rap right now. Dude reminds me of MF DOOM to a degree, I'm not even joking, in terms of how he plays with his lines and lyric expectation:

I'm drunk and high at the same time drinking champagne on the airplane

He constantly has lines like that, that make me smile

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I might get shit for this but fuck it: I'm no 2Chainz fan overall but dude has some of the best punchlines and lines in rap right now. Dude reminds me of MF DOOM to a degree, I'm not even joking, in terms of how he plays with his lines and lyric expectation:

Someone on the GAF-Hop podcast mentioned this I think, he has lines that just get stuck in your fucking head. Right now for me:

Standing on the block selling h'nard, I be goin' dumb, I be goin' retard.. TRU!

I used to hate on dude a lot but then I caught myself being entertained by shit like this and I really don't know how to feel about him as an artist overall, but I respect the hell out of him.

HiResDes

Kendrick had good features this year, and his album sold incredibly well while also being the top hip-hop album critically speaking this year...I think that puts him over 2 Chainz who was featured on more songs, but whose album just didn't have the impact that Kendrick's did.

so I start the GAF podcast and hear this white dude talking, then realize it's Eschalon
ohhhk.png

edit: laughing at the god Nasir :(

kamspy

Kanye went full retard and it was the best thing he ever did.

We feasted on Mac n Cheese for weeks.

2 Chainz blessed us with the best selling rap album of the year.

To top it off, we got the supreme ignant trio at the end of the year. The Keef album, ASAP's masterpiece, and the undeniably SOTY, maybe song of the decade - All Gold Everything by ASAP Trick Daddy. Shit be jammin mane.

CRS

Travel!

PBY

Banned
Kanye went full retard and it was the best thing he ever did.

We feasted on Mac n Cheese for weeks.

2 Chainz blessed us with the best selling rap album of the year.

To top it off, we got the supreme ignant trio at the end of the year. The Keef album, ASAP's masterpiece, and the undeniably SOTY, maybe song of the decade - All Gold Everything by ASAP Trick Daddy. Shit be jammin mane.
Kamsdagawd.

Esch

Banned
2012 will be remembered as the year of Kendrick as he graces the top of critics lists and cements his debut as a potential classic all while reinvorigating the west by bigging up TDE and older west coast standbys like Eiht and Game.
this and straight up 2 chainz album wasnt that tight. i like cuts off it but i wouldnt even put it in my top ten and i like ignorant shit. eating off features is one thing, but you gotta serve me up a nice cut of rap filet mignon when push comes to shove. were never getting that from 2 chainz. and we definitely didnt get it this year

Working on my album list and I need GAF Hop to mandate something for me: should BFK be considered a mixtape this year, or an album? It was released on datpiff and labeled a mixtape, but it's also being sold on iTunes...so I'm kind leaning towards putting it on my album list instead of the mixtape list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom