• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Really looking forward to checking out the Deniro Farrar + BSBD EP. Not so much the Deniro Farrar + Shady Blaze because Shady Blaze is my mortal fucking enemy. Duality is pretty good after my first listen, but I haven't been able to listen to much new stuff lately because I've been busy with my lady.

edit: added 'fucking' for emphasis

You were looking for chill stuff right? You should also check out Blu & Exile's Give Me Flowers if you haven't already, Homeboy Sandman's latest and the JJ Doom album were both pretty decent as well. Although I thought you'd like Duality more than merely pretty good.

Jitters

Isn’t hip-hop the weirdest thing? I know this seems out of nowhere, but its something I think about often and I wonder if any others do. Can you think of one other thing where stuff like drunk driving is promoted and no one cares? If anything else promoted such a thing, it would be looked down upon and rightfully so. Yet in hip-hop, it seems we are constantly being told how cool it is. Look at “Hands on the Wheel” by Schoolboy Q. I really like the song(quite a lot, actually), but the whole point of the song is very childish. Same goes for all of the other themes that show up so frequently. Most stuff you would hear hip-hop detractors say, like how hip-hop is nothing but violence, drugs, and misogyny is, for the most part, true.

I’ve said how big of a fan I am of BFK, but just look at the title of one of the tracks, “Money, Clothes, Hoes”. Its so superficial. If any artist in any other genre of music had the same themes in their songs, it would be ridiculous. How much longer can we hear stuff like that before it becomes self parody? This isn’t meant to be a post bashing hip-hop, I love hip-hop, its just that I wonder what exactly it is about it I find so appealing and why it seems to be ok for the genre to talk about the stuff it does talk about. How many times can I hear a guy brag about getting his dick sucked before I grow out of it? If I haven’t by now, will I ever? Why is the genre’s scope so limited? Do we have a lower standard for the themes of hip-hop due to many years of it being the norm? Is the silliness of it all ignored because of the flow and charisma of the rappers and the production? Are those the things that matter most? Maybe it just because the genre is fun and simple and none of that stuff really matters?

Its just so weird and fascinating to me.

HiResDes

Hip-Hop is a NC-17 movie, anything and everything goes. Punk Rock, Metal, and Hard Rock talk about many of the same things. Hands on the Wheel works well within the theme of Q's theme of Habits and Contradictions, and I don't think he's as much glorifying it as speaking on how commonplace it's become for me and the irony of it all, "My hands on the wheel, uhh, fuck that." Rappers aren't role-models, they're entertainers first anyway.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Isn’t hip-hop the weirdest thing? I know this seems out of nowhere, but its something I think about often and I wonder if any others do. Can you think of one other thing where stuff like drunk driving is promoted and no one cares? If anything else promoted such a thing, it would be looked down upon and rightfully so. Yet in hip-hop, it seems we are constantly being told how cool it is. Look at “Hands on the Wheel” by Schoolboy Q. I really like the song(quite a lot, actually), but the whole point of the song is very childish. Same goes for all of the other themes that show up so frequently. Most stuff you would hear hip-hop detractors say, like how hip-hop is nothing but violence, drugs, and misogyny is, for the most part, true.

I’ve said how big of a fan I am of BFK, but just look at the title of one of the tracks, “Money, Clothes, Hoes”. Its so superficial. If any artist in any other genre of music had the same themes in their songs, it would be ridiculous. How much longer can we hear stuff like that before it becomes self parody? This isn’t meant to be a post bashing hip-hop, I love hip-hop, its just that I wonder what exactly it is about it I find so appealing and why it seems to be ok for the genre to talk about the stuff it does talk about. How many times can I hear a guy brag about getting his dick sucked before I grow out of it? If I haven’t by now, will I ever? Why is the genre’s scope so limited? Do we have a lower standard for the themes of hip-hop due to many years of it being the norm? Is the silliness of it all ignored because of the flow and charisma of the rappers and the production? Are those the things that matter most? Maybe it just because the genre is fun and simple and none of that stuff really matters?

Reality is, a lot of this stuff gets the pass because rappers are such characters. Whether you implicitly or explicitly accept that fact, that's the bottom line judgment people make of them.

I do feel that the kind of stuff mainstream unintentionally or intentionally promote do contribute to some of the negative aspects of today's culture though, such as materialism and discrimination. Stuff isn't changing fast enough.

I think about this a lot. It was interesting when I saw Rosenberg interview ScHoolboy Q and confront him about promoting drunk driving. Q is an admitted fake rapper, he's just a character, and acknowledges it, but it was awkward watching Q have no real justification or answer to what he's promoting. Watching that I felt kind of weird myself, because I love the hell out of that song, but I absolutely hate even the idea of drunk driving and have had quite a few relatives pass away from idiotic drunk drivers. For me though, that social importance isn't enough for me to stop listening to the song, because I can kind of dissociate the character from reality, but you can't really say that for everyone.

Hip-Hop is a NC-17 movie, anything and everything goes. Punk Rock, Metal, and Hard Rock talk about many of the same things. Hands on the Wheel works well within the theme of Q's theme of Habits and Contradictions, and I don't think he's as much glorifying it as speaking on how commonplace it's become for me and the irony of it all, "My hands on the wheel, uhh, fuck that."

I think that's all there is to it regarding Q. He was called out on it during a radio interview but he was high as fuck and couldn't string together the words to convey that.

Kendrick's Swimming Pools is basically a PSA against reckless drinking and the party scene, a few people I know had no idea.

---I see Enzo posted the interview. I think it's perfectly fine reasoning on Q's part.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think that's all there is to it regarding Q. He was called out on it during a radio interview but he was high as fuck and couldn't string together the words to convey that.

Kendrick's Swimming Pools is basically a PSA against reckless drinking and the party scene, a few people I know had no idea.

---I see Enzo posted the interview. I think it's perfectly fine reasoning on Q's part.
I think the reasoning was okay, but even the reasoning ignores the fact that people will perceive things how they want to and because it's a bit more "real" to most than the other stuff promoted (i.e. gun violence) like Rosenberg says.

Not to say rappers should be responsible for the infinite range of ways people can perceive their music, but being the party kind of record that it is, it could possibly reinforce that kind of irresponsibility at say, a party, more.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Rock stars have been screaming about partying, doing hard drugs, and fucking women for many decades. Hip-Hop is not at all an outlier.

So Fab dropped the MV to The Life Is So Excitin...not feeling the visuals but I always though the song was dope mostly because that beat; dat sample!

And damn Nas can't catch a break, dude sued for $10m. :(

And lmao @ Lil Flip getting busted with an AR-15. We honestly need more shit like this to happen. Give enough black people guns and Republicans will have a solid gun reform in place quick as fuck.

I think Deniro Farrar is Freshman of the year or rookie or whatever for me this time. He came through like currensy did for me in 2011 with all those hype projects.

Haven't listened to enough starlito yet, will check him out

mooooose

The reason Swimming Pools is famous is because everyone listens to the chorus without realizing the irony. I know this first hand from MANY people. Such a bummer.

HiResDes

BASED PLUG.DJ

tumblr_madetwqges1qlkb19o1_500.gif

tumblr_mfu09kKqlV1qfshkoo1_500.jpg

kamspy

Wow, concrete news on Liquid Swords II.

Hip Hop DX said:
DX:What can fans expect from LSII?

RZA: We got a whole pot of stew brewing right now. Genius been writing this for a couple years now and he's ready to get it out there to the fans. Word up to the fans.

DX: Why is it called Liquid Swords II?

RZA: We tryin(g) to get back to the fans man. Back to that 90s gutter shit. That classic Wu Tang fog, na mean? We actually reworking a lot of the classics on Liquid Swords with the top MCs of today, na mean? G really feeling a wide variety of music now. Since he spending a lot of his time in Europe now we got that dope, new European influence. We got deadmau5 producing the title track, Liquid Swords II. GZA been messing with a lot of his work lately. I can tell yall right now the beat is crazy. We got Meth back on a Shadowboxin remake. He really hyped about that. Meek Mill and Wale hopped on the new 4th Chamber, we callin that joint the 5th Chamber, na mean?

DX: So how much production are you doing on the album?

RZA: I'm staying almost hands off on that actual boards. We got deadmau5 contributing, Statik Selektah, Diplo, True Master and a lot more coming man. We working to get the boy Jay Electronica to do a remake to B.I.B.L.E. right now. I had lunch with son yesterday actually.

DX: Word. So when do we get to hear this?

RZA: We didn't wanna fuck with a real heavy industry label like Koch, so we dropping it independent. Don Cannon and Diamond Supply company are getting it out there for us. It's a good look for the new sound, na mean? We don't really have a release date set in stone na mean? Probably 2013. Maybe summer. We'll see. It will be worth the wait.

SNIP

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.21870/title.rza-says-working-with-gza-featured

Detox

Not sure if other music does it is a good enough reason. Ultimately it comes down to its fun, some rappers paint crazy pictures with their words, sometimes inspirational songs are made and sometimes they can be downright depressing but it all comes down to entertainment. When you think about it most of the common themes can be distasteful and it is hard to defend as anything other than entertainment when someone seriously asks you about some of the content. Doesn't mean all hiphop is just throwaway entertainment, you can be affected by some of it on a more profound level and that is much harder to explain. It's less about the actual lyrics or beats and more about your own mind state and how a certain style, song, artist provides a window from which to perceive your life and the world around you.

I love diplo and hate deadmau5. Both seem like a really bad fit for GZA. Lol it's gonna be strange

Ehhh that new rapper shit sounds lame. Danny Brown, Freddie Gibbs, Action Bronson plz.

Not fuckin Wale

Detox

am I missing something or didn't anybody actually click the link?
Let me guess you're getting the tyga link? It's a known virus spread by Young Money to stifle real hiphop, it was included in the pink Friday reloaded download. It took a minute to fix but peterboy said running malwarebytes with Illmind of Hopspin on repeat removes it.

I was wondering yall. What's your top 25 most played songs on iTunes? I would take a picture and post it easily..but I have no fucking idea how to do that so I'll just make a list lol

1. Money Trees - 82 Plays
2. Swimming Pools - 76
3. Cartoons & Cereal - 70
4. ADHD - 67
5. m.A.A.d city - 55
6. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe - 53
7. LVL - 52
8. Back To The Future - 50
9. Terrorist Threats - 49
10. Sacrilegious - 45
11. Track Two - 43 / The Heart Pt. 3 - 43
12. We All Try - 41
13. Peso - 40
14. Gone Insane - 36
15. Collect Calls - 34
16.Chum - 33 / A1 Everything - 33
17. Temptation - 32/Bad Religion - 32/ good kid - 32
18. Gotta Have It - 31
19. Goldie - 30 / Out Of This World - 30/ Crack Rock - 30
20. Ignorance Is Bliss - 29
21. Backseat Freestyle - 27 / Is It Love - 27
22. Hell/I'm God/King Kong/Pyramids/War Is My Love/The Recipe/Hands On The Wheel - 26
23. Demons/Holy Water/I am - 25
24. Purple Kisses/Unnecessary/Pray/County Building Blues/Ronald Reagan Era - 24
25. We Ain't Them/Battle Cry/Her Favorite Song - 23

Dat Kendrick.. If this was my iPod top 25, it would be much different

Let me guess you're getting the tyga link? It's a known virus spread by Young Money to stifle real hiphop, it was included in the pink Friday reloaded download. It took a minute to fix but peterboy said running malwarebytes with Illmind of Hopspin on repeat removes it.

E4Koo.png

CRS

Haha. This is like trying to get the Triforce in Ocarina of Time.

PBY

Banned
GAf hop, don't take anything for granted. Just had a huge scare was in the hospital. All good, was something minor, but for a while there the docs thought I might have a blood clot. Fucking scary.

HiResDes

GAf hop, don't take anything for granted. Just had a huge scare was in the hospital. All good, was something minor, but for a while there the docs thought I might have a blood clot. Fucking scary.

I've had a bad weekend too man : (

I left the BASED room since no one joined and have now infiltrated this SWAG room populated by a bunch of Euro-gangstas. Feel free to crash it with me.

Esch

Banned
that is the most depressing single music post ive ever read in gafhop. ls2 no rza production, mmg boys, dubstep. im appalled. its almost too predictable of a stab in the nuts. makes me wanna throw my wu gear into a bonfire

I was wondering yall. What's your top 25 most played songs on iTunes? I would take a picture and post it easily..but I have no fucking idea how to do that so I'll just make a list lol

1. Money Trees - 82 Plays
2. Swimming Pools - 76
3. Cartoons & Cereal - 70
4. ADHD - 67
5. m.A.A.d city - 55
6. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe - 53
7. LVL - 52
8. Back To The Future - 50
9. Terrorist Threats - 49
10. Sacrilegious - 45
11. Track Two - 43 / The Heart Pt. 3 - 43
12. We All Try - 41
13. Peso - 40
14. Gone Insane - 36
15. Collect Calls - 34
16.Chum - 33 / A1 Everything - 33
17. Temptation - 32/Bad Religion - 32/ good kid - 32
18. Gotta Have It - 31
19. Goldie - 30 / Out Of This World - 30/ Crack Rock - 30
20. Ignorance Is Bliss - 29
21. Backseat Freestyle - 27 / Is It Love - 27
22. Hell/I'm God/King Kong/Pyramids/War Is My Love/The Recipe/Hands On The Wheel - 26
23. Demons/Holy Water/I am - 25
24. Purple Kisses/Unnecessary/Pray/County Building Blues/Ronald Reagan Era - 24
25. We Ain't Them/Battle Cry/Her Favorite Song - 23

Dat Kendrick.. If this was my iPod top 25, it would be much different

Month of December

1. Druggy Wit Hoes - ScHoolboy Q - 138
2. Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe - Kendrick Lamar - 71
3. Bass - ASAP Rocky - 69
4. Hitta Lick - Phlo Finister - 67
5. My Favorite Song (Spendin' Money) - Wiz Khalifa - 62
6. We Get High - Fabolous - 58
7. Life Is Excitin - Fabolous - 56
8. More Than A Woman - Aaliyah - 53
9. Suddenly - ASAP Rocky - 52
10. Bad Bitch - Lupe Fiasco - 50
11. Poetic Justice - Kendrick Lamar - 47
12. 1977 - Ana Tijoux - 44
13. Sherane aka Master Splinter's Daughter - Kendrick Lamar - 42
14. Obstáculo - Ana Tijoux - 39
15. Poster Girl - Phlo Finister - 37
16. My House - Cassie - 34
17. The Sweetest Taboo - Sade - 33
18. Be Mine - Tami Cynn - 30
19. Fire - Tiffany Villarreal - 28
20. Gangbang - Wiz Khalifa - 26
21. I Like It - We Cry Diamond - 23
22. Leave Her Alone - The Procussions - 23
23. The Abusing of the Rib - Atmosphere - 20
24. Clique - Kanye West - 18
25. Tonight - Christina Milian - 16

DominoKid

for this year...

iMMoF3jk1h87R.png

The reason Swimming Pools is famous is because everyone listens to the chorus without realizing the irony. I know this first hand from MANY people. Such a bummer.

it was obvious it was gonna happen though. i remember when it dropped while i was at the beach

roommate: oh yeah this is my new drinking song.
me: uh...it's an anti drinking song though.
roommate: yeah but the hook is about drinking though. lemme pour you a shot.

Disclaimer: Oftentimes I used to put a song on and end up leaving the house, so a lot of these are probably inflated. Also these are all-times.

TT3gh.jpg

omRmo.jpg

Even though these aren't in my Plays accurately, I'd say Nas, Big L, Mos, and Mobb Deep are the majority of my high listens.

DominoKid

lol i dont even check my last fm anymore but it's still accurate. way more accurate than just my itunes because i play most music off my phone these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom