• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJT

Going back to the album now and its really starting to seem a little overhyped. Dont get me wrong, its fucking great. Some standout hits Money Trees, MAAD City, Swimming Pools, Bitch Dont Kill my Vibe.

But I dont think its the classic people think it is. Are people still listening to the whole thing regularly?

I definitely am. It's still as good as in the first week to me...

Picking up on what Esch said about XXX...

I'm always hesitant to call anything new a classic, especially something within the last 1-2 years. That being said when I consider the truly great albums of this recent era, a few stick out far above the others. I look at XXX, GKMC, and Covert Coup as three of the absolute best albums in recent memory, shit that is truly stunning. I'd imagine I could add more to the list if I sat down and thought, but right now those three come to mind first.

XXX is an album I listened to for that entire year, first while thinking "aite this is good..." and then moving into the "this is fucking amazing" camp. "Emotional journey" gets thrown around a lot in music and film praise but it really describes that album perfectly to me. The beginning of the album is very hype, then gets more drugged out in the middle, followed by a sonic emotional breakdown in the final tracks. And it feels a bit more visual for me having lived in Detroit and visited some of the areas mentioned.

i revisited covert coup again recently and it's just as good as ever. granted it's only been a couple years but i see that having mad lasting appeal.

hell, i still use some of alchemist's instrumentals from that as an alarm clock. still waiting on freddie gibbs to give us another verse like that

HiResDes

Kendrick's last verse on Poetic Justice is amazing, I never understood the hate for the song; must be about Drake. Video...ehhhh. I like the general idea but all those fast edits really cut the thing to smithereens; really feels too disjointed and almost amateur.

I brought this up a while ago, the whole living my life on the margin metaphor is incredible.

What kind of Lebanese food do you guys recommend?
Also XXX is a spectacular closing track for that album. I just sat through that album last night and really listened to it, wrote down notes and everything. It's fantastic.

HiResDes

Also someone mentioned XXX's production being a prohibiting, which I would utterly disagree with...The production on XXX is so unique, and so grimey that it perfectly captures Danny's characteristics and the setting to a tee.

Also someone mentioned XXX's production being a prohibiting, which I would utterly disagree with...The production on XXX is so unique, and so grimey that it perfectly captures Danny's characteristics and the setting to a tee.

Agreed, there's so much variety there. From soul samples to crazier, hype shit. IMO he's good enough to rock any type of production.

Esch

Banned
What kind of Lebanese food do you guys recommend?
Also XXX is a spectacular closing track for that album. I just sat through that album last night and really listened to it, wrote down notes and everything. It's fantastic.

Kibbeh are very nice, they also do kebabs well typically.

mooooose

Yeah I was surprised how good the production on XXX was. It hits a million different spots in surprisingly great ways (Grime, MF Doom weirdo stuff, ATCQ sounding at some points even, Trap). The album is all over the place in terms of production but the way the album is sequenced you barely notice going from song to song, and Danny Brown somehow weaves through each beat like a fucking pro, his flow never getting boring, and his punchlines (mostly) never coming off corny, and towards the end of the album when things get serious, you hit that point so gradually that it is so easy to take seriously and not say "yo wtf when did this shit get sad".

I agree with PD. XXX, GKMC, and Covert Coup are probably my three noms for classics in the last couple years. Covert Coup is mostly production and Spitta's good flows, I don't find him very interesting at all. I don't like any other body of work he's put out, actually. But I can listen to Covert Coup and enjoy the fuck out of it, and it's over before I know it.

overcast

But I dont think its the classic people think it is. Are people still listening to the whole thing regularly?
Yeah, I listen to all the songs very often.

It's weird how Danny Brown grew on what seems like a lot of people. First time I heard him I was definitely put off, and just thought he was alright. Now he is definitely one of my favorite rappers.

CRS

Lone Sharks is probably my vote for classic nomination. Doppelgangaz is my favorite group right now and have put out nothing but piff these past few years.

mooooose

I first heard of Danny Brown in like 07 or 08 and I went to Youtube to find more about him and there was NOTHING, I think one shitty music video maybe. I listened to it, it was boring as fuck, and that was that until like 2011 when I noticed him again with his goofy haircut and shit.

Esch

Banned
Agree with that holy trinity, although I like Pilot Talk better. My soft spot is for Wuz Here. Love that shit for some reason.

I first heard of Danny Brown in like 07 or 08 and I went to Youtube to find more about him and there was NOTHING, I think one shitty music video maybe. I listened to it, it was boring as fuck, and that was that until like 2011 when I noticed him again with his goofy haircut and shit.

give him another try. seriously

MMaRsu

So GAF Hop, what's your opinions on Iggy Azalea?

My World

Pussy

I know I'm probably like a year to the party but I this girl is hot as fuck and these two songs are pretty damn dope.

CRS

Totally forgot about K.R.I.T.. Probably cause I haven't listened to him in so long. Wuz Here is a high contender as well.

mooooose

Iggy Azalea is okay. She's cooler than Angel Haze, a worse rapper than Azealia Banks but SIGNIFICANTLY less annoying. Infact everyone is less annoying than Azealia Banks. But Azealia Banks is also pretty good looking, she's pretty, but Iggy is hot.

Out of all the female rappers in the "pop" rap sphere, Iggy is the best.

Iggy's voice sounds just like V-Nasty's though... that's fucked.

mooooose

Man of the Year 2013, called it already. Get ready to eat shit, everyone.
I like the Say Wassup one as well, as low budget as it is. just looks like fun

Oh yeah that video is great. Watching it again though jesus Q sucked in 2011. I think it was with Brand New Guy and I guess that H&C time period that he started going so much harder. Before that he was so boring and generic. Setbacks is okay at best other than a handful of songs.

Tokubetsu

Man of the Year 2013, called it already. Get ready to eat shit, everyone.

Oh yeah that video is great. Watching it again though jesus Q sucked in 2011. I think it was with Brand New Guy and I guess that H&C time period that he started going so much harder. Before that he was so boring and generic. Setbacks is okay at best other than a handful of songs.

Fuck you. Setbacks is great too. Fall back with that johnny come lately bullshit.

HiiiLife

Going back to the album now and its really starting to seem a little overhyped. Dont get me wrong, its fucking great. Some standout hits Money Trees, MAAD City, Swimming Pools, Bitch Dont Kill my Vibe.

Don't go a day without playing through it once. Hiiipower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom