• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabiz

1488300010-1.jpg

LEiGH - '92

HiResDes

Has anyone seen KRIT live? What's his playlist?

I think I might be able to see him on June. Can't fucking wait.

Well it's going to be different when you see him, but KRIT is the very best rapper live, though I've never seen Danny Brown and I can't remember just how great Kanye's set was when I saw him in 05 or 06. He picks the hype joints and then changes pace with a slew of those deep introspective joints only to finish with the hype shit again. The smaller the venue the better.

Esch

Banned
New Jet City was good and if Cigarette Boats made you stop listening to spitta i cant fuck w/ your taste on any level.

Nah I like Cigarette Boats, Vice City music. I mean I'll get around to New Jet City eventually, but I don't really give too many shits about Curren$y to keep up with his output.

EEeeeeeeeeeehhhhhh IDK about KRIT anymore. King Remembered In Time is a little boring. I'm like halfway through and it's losing me. I wasn't a big fan of his album or 4Eva Na Day either after really liking the first 2 mixtapes.

HiResDes

I'm waiting to listen to it, but every time I think I'm eh on KRIT I go back to some of those introspective tracks on 4 Eva N A Day and they just elicit the same emotions that I feel when listening to some of the rap greats. KRIT's constantly flashes moments of brilliance and therefore even if I only like half of one of his tapes that half is usually on the HNL.

Esch

Banned
I'm waiting to listen to it, but every time I think I'm eh on KRIT I go back to some of those introspective tracks on 4 Eva N A Day and they just elicit the same emotions that I feel when listening to some of the rap greats. KRIT's constantly flashes moments of brilliance and therefore even if I only like half of one of his tapes that half is usually on the HNL.
thats why he frustrates me so much though. KRIT reminds me of when i used to tutor kids from east saint louis in HS and most of them were illiterate or not even trying, but every once in a while there was a super bright kid, well read, insightful.... but were wasting their time gangbangin and getting high.

KRIT should release a tape called The Return of the B-

PBY

Banned
Well it's going to be different when you see him, but KRIT is the very best rapper live, though I've never seen Danny Brown and I can't remember just how great Kanye's set was when I saw him in 05 or 06. He picks the hype joints and then changes pace with a slew of those deep introspective joints only to finish with the hype shit again. The smaller the venue the better.
I totally disagree based on my experience, but festivals are a different beast. Still have yet to see a better rap act than Kanye- only thing that comes close are TNGHT or BBNG, but those aren't rap obvs.

thabiz

cant believe Roc is on that shit track. LOSE THE FUCKIN HATS! its super duper played out at this point.

i swear to god, if i hear those rolling hats again, im going to blow my brains out.

Esch

Banned
The best show i ever saw actually was Three Six and Project Pat live. it was so hype, and they were so into it I instantly became a fan of southern rap. I would probably still be bumping mostly east coast and backpack shit if it wasnt for that show

HiResDes

The best show i ever saw actually was Three Six and Project Pat live. it was so hype, and they were so into it I instantly became a fan of southern rap. I would probably still be bumping mostly east coast and backpack shit if it wasnt for that show
You're lucky as fuck.

Esch

Banned
You're lucky as fuck.
it was my welcome week concert at college. they walked on stage and without a single word said they jumped into Stay Fly. instantly, bitches start grinding, blunts appear from thin air, and they pretty much played every banger they ever wrote full stop. none of the kvlter shit, but that was for the best really.

great stuff.

cant believe Roc is on that shit track. LOSE THE FUCKIN HATS! its super duper played out at this point.

i swear to god, if i hear those rolling hats again, im going to blow my brains out.

Roc's verse isn't bad. But when I heard those hats I almost turned the track off lmao.

Is this the new Ghostface flow or something? What the fuck. I want to like this album so bad, but it's not clicking with me.

Similar to my views. I'll post more later, but I've had the album for a few days and just...dunno. There's a lot about it that I like, definitely has some stand out tracks, but the flow doesn't really match the production. That free flowing instrumental sound works better with someone who is actually riding each wave of the beat, like say a Method Man/Gibbs/Eminem/etc type who can jump in and out of that stuff. Ghost takes a workman approach and it just comes off awkward and slow on most tracks.

Notice how Deck totally annihilates that first track he's on. He's the type of rapper who can really take advantage of this production. Ghost used to be able to obviously, but now... :(

Similar to my views. I'll post more later, but I've had the album for a few days and just...dunno. There's a lot about it that I like, definitely has some stand out tracks, but the flow doesn't really match the production. That free flowing instrumental sound works better with someone who is actually riding each wave of the beat, like say a Method Man/Gibbs/Eminem/etc type who can jump in and out of that stuff. Ghost takes a workman approach and it just comes off awkward and slow on most tracks.

Notice how Deck totally annihilates that first track he's on. He's the type of rapper who can really take advantage of this production. Ghost used to be able to obviously, but now... :(
I agree with all of this. I'm on my 5th listen since that NPR stream was posted, but fuck. I don't know what happened, but it's frustrating listening to such a boring Ghostface.

Slizz

I saw them in Miami years ago when Crunchy Black was still in it but Infamous was out.

They had the whole HCP camp up there, Frayser Boy, Lil Wyte, Project Pat and they were carrying around bottles of rum, hen and vodka. Then they had another guy with a stack of plastic cups just filling drinks up and passing them to the crowd.

And yea blunts instantly went up as soon as they started it was awesome.

mooooose

I like boring GFK over shouting GFK
Ghostface on Mighty Healthy (and all of Forever/Supreme Clientele/Wallets) is the best Ghostface. He yelled and sounded kinda whiny but it wasn't grating.

He is my GOAT but he sucks now.

edit - His flow on New God Flow was really good and in his new style. That was his best verse since the stuff he did with Doom and Dilla in like 06.

One consistent thing is Ghostface has the best breath control in the game. It's astonishing the way he spits. His cadence is off the charts perfect.

mooooose

I can't understand being a Raekwon fan in 2013.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN_Hix80m44

Compare that to any song he's made in the last 15 years. Please. Compare that to his BEST verse from the last 15 years. And that was just a really good verse from him on an album of great verses. He was amazing but he has only gone downhill from that album on (though he did spit well on Forever and his solos, but the beats sucked). Nothing as good as OB4CL.

hubes

Has anyone seen KRIT live? What's his playlist?

I think I might be able to see him on June. Can't fucking wait.

he kills it live. he opened for j.cole at my school last spring and nobody really knew who he was but about half way through his set the crowd was hyped. i think this was right after 4evanaday dropped and before live from the underground. standout songs were my sub and rotation back to back.. the bass on my sub is crazy live and he did the chorus of rotation for what felt like 5 minutes but it was the dopest part of the night.

and im not sure if he always brings big sant but he was there too and did his thing.

songs that i remember that he did for sure were just touched down, hometown hero, rotation, my sub, the vent, i got this, 4evanaday

Cudder

Anyone got recommendations similar to the the newest Ethel Wulf mixtape. Dark, ambient type shit?

That tape is the best produced project this year imo. Thanks to Des for making me come back to it. I listened to that tape for like 2 weeks straight while I fell asleep at night. Magical, man.

CRS

Yeah, Big Sant is his hype man. Like Des mentioned, he has a great live set and has a nice flow to it. Hype tracks -> Slower tracks -> then finish super hype. His albums have the same format. They've always had a great pace to them.

CRS

Also, is it just me or has Big Sant improved over the course of K.R.I.T.'s tapes? I've only listened to him through his features but I really enjoyed his verse on KRIT.

Could do without DZA's verse on Only One too. The weaker of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom