• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

image.php

Damn.

Huh.

Won't get too hyped too soon.

I won't get hyped at all. RZA seems completely dis-interested in music. I remember seeing an interview where he gave some vague answer about liking "everything" he heard at the club, but couldn't name any artists he likes or listens to. He is completely focused on film.

I know he has a vault of old beats, many of which are dope (that Kanye track), but will he offer those to the Wu? Besides all they'll do is coke rap over it. Meth and Deck are the only ones I have full faith in, with Rae second. Ghost...eh

Hahahahaha.

That's all he has because the rest of his grammar game is disappointing.
I can't even say otherwise, even as a fan. Damn.

I won't get hyped at all. RZA seems completely dis-interested in music. I remember seeing an interview where he gave some vague answer about liking "everything" he heard at the club, but couldn't name any artists he likes or listens to. He is completely focused on film.

I know he has a vault of old beats, many of which are dope (that Kanye track), but will he offer those to the Wu? Besides all they'll do is coke rap over it. Meth and Deck are the only ones I have full faith in, with Rae second. Ghost...eh
Man, I've been trying not to feel it, but your posts have me being afraid of 12 Reasons to Die and I was real excited for that project...

mooooose

Ghost has been horrible like 8 years but the dude has it in him. New God Flow proves that. He knew that was a moment for a classic track and to give him mainstream shine and he pulled out a classic verse. He has it in him but he's fine coasting by on coke rap and ghostwritten verses and mixtape quality albums and bad tours because he's old and lazy.

But he seems so overly passionate about Wu in interviews, suddenly. He saw Theodore Unit fail because it was stupid and realized how good Wu was (musically and making money) and how powerful the brand can still be. They can be The Beatles of Hip Hop, and should be, but the whole crew just shits on their legacy.

Ghost has been horrible like 8 years but the dude has it in him. New God Flow proves that. He knew that was a moment for a classic track and to give him mainstream shine and he pulled out a classic verse. He has it in him but he's fine coasting by on coke rap and ghostwritten verses and mixtape quality albums and bad tours because he's old and lazy.

But he seems so overly passionate about Wu in interviews, suddenly. He saw Theodore Unit fail because it was stupid and realized how good Wu was (musically and making money) and how powerful the brand can still be. They can be The Beatles of Hip Hop, and should be, but the whole crew just shits on their legacy.
Horrible for 8 years? Chill... I wouldn't rate Apollo Kids as one of his best albums but that was pretty decent.

Actually, I stan for Ghost but to this day I have not listened to Wizards of Emerald Coast Zone or whatever the hell it's called lol

CRS

Horrible for 8 years? Chill... I wouldn't rate Apollo Kids as one of his best albums but that was pretty decent.

Actually, I stan for Ghost but to this day I have not listened to Wizards of Emerald Coast Zone or whatever the hell it's called lol

Sounds like a Sonic the Hedgehog Trading Card Game.

if you liked apollo, you will like 12 reasons. blood on the cobblestones is the illest joint right now.

I cant wait to finally get this album.

They need to all be in the studio together making that new album. Get that old vibe back. That shit never happening though.

I bet GZA is getting his kids to help him email his coma verses to RZA off his hotmail account right now

Holy shit.

Hahahaha Im calling it this from now on

were comparing the GOAT producer to cudi unfavorably in this topic? is that what gaf hop is about?

In here thats Kanye bruh...

Yo thabiz, did the piano on The Sure Shot (Part One) give you that old Wu feeling?
I kinda got tingles listening to that. Ghost killed that shit.

I understand what my man Mr. Pause is saying, but Ghost brought it on a few of these tracks.

yep best Ghost since Ironman

Better than Fishscale?

Come back son. Come back. You've gone to far.

were comparing the GOAT producer to cudi unfavorably in this topic? is that what gaf hop is about?

Chill, I didn't see anybody mentioning Timbaland around here.....

thabiz

Yo thabiz, did the piano on The Sure Shot (Part One) give you that old Wu feeling?

I understand what my man Mr. Pause is saying, but Ghost brought it on a few of these tracks.

Better than Fishscale?

the whole album is classic wu. i have no idea what PP is talking about. you can almost feel RZA standing over Adrian's shoulder. tell me rise of the ghost isnt CLASSIC Wu. the drums really stand out. shit is dope. its a great scope of ghost's career. from where he started to where he went. very mature album.

apollo is the best since ironman. better than fish, and supreme.

ghostface is still my favorite but i think method man has the chance to make the freshest new album.

i just think he has a flow that suits both wu-heads AND the radio today.

does he have a new album coming any time soon?

edit: still haven't listened to 12 reasons to die yet but fishscale seems like a high bar for it to pass. supreme too. i'm expecting better than apollo kids

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Reebok drops Rick Ross.

Swizz talks Open Letter.

Except you're wrong. Cudi would've been self sufficient without GOOD anyway, but he is quickly becoming irrelevant. Compare the hype for his next album (complete with dumb title and dumb album art) to MOTM2? There is no hype. He'll be lucky to sell 100k, probably more likely 80k. His fanbase in shrinking because they are growing up and he isn't relevant in any hypebeast scene any more. WZRD was a critical bomb and bad worth of mouth stopped it from selling more than peanuts after release (still, it was indie, he made his guap but at what long term cost?). The dude is a critical failure and his new album probably won't be taken lightly by critics either (though I think it's ok and I like the singles).

Chip isn't gaining jack fucking shit. Outside of knowing him through Cudi I have no idea who the fuck he is. No one gives a fuck about what boils down to Kid Cudi's hype man and no one will. If Cudi wanted to put him on, he'd stay on GOOD and get him involved on an actual platform.

And even if Ye does fuck with Theo London, what kind of back packer is he? He's a SoHo jacker loser whose most popular song is Big Spender, a typical rap song about Givenchy with ASAP Rocky (though a good song). The dude has his fingers in all sorts of fashion Ye admires (40oz van, Pyrex).

If Ye fucks with Theo London so much, why isn't he on GOOD? The same reason Cudi isn't.

I'm sure Ye and Cudi are fine and friendly, and GOOD has always been somewhat diverse, but Ye and his close crew of GOOD dudes (Pusha, Sean, Hitboy, Hudson) who are in the spotlight right now don't have a spot for Cudi. And I think Cudi is butt hurt over it.

All Cudi needs to do is sell 20k on his albums and tour for the rest of his life and he will eat but the dude is about to fade into irrelevance.

ps Theo London is horrible and a complete toy.
Not really.

Kanye was a huge cosign at the start. He needed that jump to make it to the next level and get mainstream exposure. Early cosigns mattered and always have mattered. Otherwise, he probably wouldn't even be making Nipsey Hussle paper. And where the hell would Ye find time to work on Wicked Awesome? You expect him to run a sub-label on top of running his label and working on as many projects as he is right now (Sean's solo, Mos Def's next solo, his own solo, Common's next album, Jay's next album)? Yeah, not happening.

And somehow you still managed to provide a ton of examples of Kanye fucking with non-trap shit whilst saying he's all trap now and not fucking with backpacker acts like HudMo/Sean/Travis Scott/etc. which are pretty much the modern face of backpackers/hipsters. Theo isn't on G.O.O.D. because he isn't presumably in a lane (I haven't heard much of his stuff) he needs right now. Just because he fucks with an artist doesn't mean he's going to sign them. Just look at Rocky. Kanye is signing artists right now to recruit and work on his next solo, first and foremost. The few acts he does want to develop and have the drive to develop themselves are getting their due. Why would he need a CuDi-like if he still has CuDi on tap like he has Common?

CuDi is fading into irrelevancy and King Chip is not going to end up anywhere significantly, but if dude feels like he can get the paper and run with it without the overhead, then so be it. I just think it's ignorant to think dude is leaving because Kanye brought more people on the team; as if he didn't when he joined. Kanye's goal, like any other good team leader is to make sure his artists grow and take off on their own. And CuDi is doing that, trying to make his own imprint without overhead and possibly move into management. Do I think he will be successful in growing much further? Nah not really. But what is he supposed to do now? I can't see the label helping him anymore with where his career is going, it's probably the most profitable option right now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Better than Fishscale?

Chill, I didn't see anybody mentioning Timbaland around here.....

Or Swizzy. Or Dre. RZA. Ye.

Take your pick, really.

the whole album is classic wu. i have no idea what PP is talking about. you can almost feel RZA standing over Adrian's shoulder. tell me rise of the ghost isnt CLASSIC Wu. the drums really stand out. shit is dope. its a great scope of ghost's career. from where he started to where he went. very mature album.

apollo is the best since ironman. better than fish, and supreme.

It seems to be almost exactly what Wu heads have been wanting for a long time so I'm puzzled over the lukewarm reactions around the web.
You're right in that there's a distinct Wu feel throughout, the sound is what I imagine RZA's natural progression would've been had he not bumped his head and started that digital orchestra bullshit.
It's so refreshing to hear a record where all of the features actually make sense too, the interplay between Ghost and Cappa and Deck's appearances are great.

It's my favourite Ghost album since Fishscale for sure.

thabiz

It seems to be almost exactly what Wu heads have been wanting for a long time so I'm puzzled over the lukewarm reactions around the web.
You're right in that there's a distinct Wu feel throughout, the sound is what I imagine RZA's natural progression would've been had he not bumped his head and started that digital orchestra bullshit.
It's so refreshing to hear a record where all of the features actually make sense too, the interplay between Ghost and Cappa and Deck's appearances are great.

It's my favourite Ghost album since Fishscale for sure.

i said it earlier when the stream went up. its for the older set. no club bangers. no pandering to a new audience. no flavours of the month.
its just where these guys are right now. they aint young cats anymore, and taste has to change. if it was ironman 2, i would be disappointed. i want growth from an artist. i want risks. yet the album maintains the WU ethos through the whole thing. its just grown up.

Fishscale, More Fish, Big Doe Rehab, and Apollo Kids all came out in the last 8 years bro; they were either classic or good. Ghostface has been meh for a couple years.

I'm not hating on 12 Reasons to Die btw, it's not bad. It's just the album has almost no memorable lines to me, and the rapping has little energy. There are some great tracks; the second song on the album is great for instance.

PBY

Banned
Where is this latent Apollo Kids love coming from? Shit was a blip, it came and went. Was so average and lazy.

I can't co-sign the Apollo Kids love, the majority ranged from average to poor for me.

i liked his rnb album more than apollo kids. does anyone agree?

Yes!
"This ain't no R&B dick, this hood" is still fucking hilarious.
That track with Fabolous as well playing the mailman or whatever used to make me laugh all the time, I can't even remember why.
The album was just fun. I expected cheese and Ghost crooning and got Stapleton Sex :lol

I actually really enjoy the Back Like That Remix with Kanye West. Nicely flipped that "put adina howard to sleep" line

Kanye did good......even if he is a racist

mooooose

What? Apollo Kids was fantastic

It was shit and even Ghost knew it. It was supposed to be a throw away mixtape but Ghost used it to get out of his contract with Def Jam.

Wizard of Poetry was better than a lot of Fishscale (brought down by theodore unit), More Fish (other than the DOOM songs), Big Doe Rehab, and Apollo Kids (by a country fucking mile).

So underrated. You aren't a real Ghost fan if you don't like it.

PBY

Banned
It was shit and even Ghost knew it. It was supposed to be a throw away mixtape but Ghost used it to get out of his contract with Def Jam.

Wizard of Poetry was better than a lot of Fishscale (brought down by theodore unit), More Fish (other than the DOOM songs), Big Doe Rehab, and Apollo Kids (by a country fucking mile).

So underrated. You aren't a real Ghost fan if you don't like it.

Bolded is so true. Honestly, it sounded like he said fuckit, and just put out a collection of unreleased tracks from his vault. Shit was so samey and lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom