• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Listening to The Prerequisite now and man, so many of Kanye's best osngs ever are on here and this tape got turned down by lots of labels. I suppose that happens to every artist but the magnitude of success here is the difference. A lot of incomplete sounding songs on here, is that common for demo tapes back in the day?

I understand why the producer-rapper stigma is as big as it is though.

mooooose

ODB was the only dude prepared to leave the Wu camp of producers and had one of his biggest songs without RZA's help. Pretty crazy. I wish he was around way more than Biggie, Tupac, or Big L.

mooooose

Ratking posted on twitter "RATGRIPS".... considering they toured with them, a collab seems inevitable.

Clams x DOOM?
Ratking x Death Grips?

MMMmmMMmmM

mooooose

BlacRoc was the only case of live instrumental hip hop I've liked to far.

RZA helped on this beat and I think it came out really good and has a good Wu sound to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGI5GjcEGZk

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZVBkbrht44 was perfect for Mos Def and made Jim Jones sound lyrical.

It's a shame Dame Dash is such an douche and douched up a working relationship with the dudes, as far as I can tell, and shitted on the potential for another album.

BlacRoc was the only case of live instrumental hip hop I've liked to far.

RZA helped on this beat and I think it came out really good and has a good Wu sound to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGI5GjcEGZk

Also http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZVBkbrht44 was perfect for Mos Def and made Jim Jones sound lyrical.

It's a shame Dame Dash is such an douche and douched up a working relationship with the dudes, as far as I can tell, and shitted on the potential for another album.

There is another album that is 100% complete and unreleased. It was recorded shortly after blacroc. It was all RZA and Black Keys. Theres also 9 songs from the BlacRoc 2 sessions that arent getting released either

Well in a recent interview with TheVine, Black Keys drummer and producer Parick Carney revealed that the band are sitting on a second Blackroc album of nine songs that "were never released that are pretty much done," with no plans to ever be released. But more interestingly, that they recorded an entire album's worth of material solely with RZA, that has also been resigned to the archives.

"We have a lot of hip-hop stuff that we did with other people that is just never gonna come out," Carney told us. "Like, we did basically a full record with RZA in Los Angeles. Then we have these nine songs from this second Blackroc session. But y’know, a lot of it’s just experimenting. Some of it’s really good, I think, and some of it is not so good. But I think there’s just too much of a novelty factor to keep doing it over and over again. Doing it once was enough. I think it might get old if we keep revisiting it. But maybe one day that stuff will see the light of day. I don’t know.

Source

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
i can take this seriously

from people who didnt put a DMX album as their 2012 aoty

rare chandeliers destroys well done btw

we had this discussion before I prefer the production of "Well done" cause it covered up his issues with flow with some smoother beats. it kind of countered his flow and made the off the wall shit he spit seem cooler to me. Like people say he sounds like Ghost but that album reminded me of Capital Pun (which is even cooler cause it samples Pun on there) and if there was a rapper whose lane Bronson copies its Pun. Pun's lane of "Funny Fat guy who can rap his ass of and says freaky shit" is why Bronson is that dude.

Anyhow "The Symbol" was crazy but then the rest of the album went back to spaced out beats & harder beats and bronson just seemed like he was going to force his lyrics in there no matter if it matched the beat or not. Also Statik Selectah is mad underrated as a producer.

Fuck Jay Electronica.

I still believe

Cool, so I'm not the only one who absolutely love Pouches of Tuna off Blue Chips. That song was so good, it ruined the rest of the tape for me. Nothing else on that tape came close to taping it.

TangMeng

Cool, so I'm not the only one who absolutely love Pouches of Tuna off Blue Chips. That song was so good, it ruined the rest of the tape for me. Nothing else on that tape came close to taping it.

Same, it's the only track I go back to on the album. But i'm one of the guys who liked AB's other works more than Blue Chips so what do I know.

Kwixotik

http://www.complex.com/music/2013/04/the-30-most-lyrical-rap-songs-of-the-past-5-years/exhibit-c

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I am going to leave this here for the true believers....

Yes, that's right, the most lyrical song of the last five years was (supposedly) made in 15 minutes just so Jay Electronica and Just Blaze would have something to debut when they went on Angela Yee's show. Funniest thing is, they never made it to Yee's show. Instead, Jay fell asleep and forgot all about it.

Why am I not surprised?

Tokubetsu

Same, it's the only track I go back to on the album. But i'm one of the guys who liked AB's other works more than Blue Chips so what do I know.

I'm going to name three tracks off Blue Chips that shit on Pouches of Tuna from a high altitude:

9-24-11
Nordic Wind
Steve Wynn
Bonus: Thug Love Story 2012

Apollo Brown's Revenge Is Sweet is the best RZA knock off beat I've heard since Gihad.
I'm going to name three tracks off Blue Chips that shit on Pouches of Tuna from a high altitude:

9-24-11
Nordic Wind
Steve Wynn
Bonus: Thug Love Story 2012

9-24-11 and Thug Love Story 2012 are pretty much top 5 Bronson material. I like Pouches of Tuna but come on, it's not even a top 5 song on Blue Chips

he's racist as fuck, but he's also right.

How? I'm tired of black people blaming hip hop ignorance on white people. No one is forcing the south to act like coons.

Also in terms of record execs...they're more diverse now. Most were white and Jewish in the 90s, I don't see anyone complaining about the quality of rap back then.

HiResDes

How? I'm tired of black people blaming hip hop ignorance on white people. No one is forcing the south to act like coons.

Also in terms of record execs...they're more diverse now. Most were white and Jewish in the 90s, I don't see anyone complaining about the quality of rap back then.

You could argue that manufacturing an image and an artificial "struggle" is now more important than ever.

well he's not joking about it in started from the bottom. there's even a line in there where he's talking about his uncle telling him to bring the car back, and the video is set in a shoppers drug mart, not the ghetto.

oh and the beat switch in thug love story 2012 makes it the best song on blue chips, so dope.

You could argue that manufacturing an image and an artificial "struggle" is now more important than ever.

I don't have a problem with that, even when it's blatantly false (see: Drake). Hell, you can argue mainstream rap is in a far better place now than it was in 2000-2008 ie blind & ringtone rap era.

There's a clear market for non-coon rap, even in the mainstream. Look at Kendrick, Cole, Drake to a degree, etc. Macklemore or whatever the fuck his name is has a #1 record about copping clothes at a thrift store. I'm not hating on club records, they're a part of hip hop. But I want a more equal presence of non-club shit and club shit on the radio.

Execs are going to pimp whatever makes them money. I'll take 50 Macklemores over 50 Tygas any day of the week.

are you classifying all club rap as "coon rap"? or just the outlandish people like trinidad james and riff raff?

No, just outlandish shit. I'm fine with ASAP, stuff like that; I "get" it. But Trinidad, Gucci, Keef, etc...I'm tired of that shit. Hell I'm getting real tired of Ross, and I actually put my rep on the line for the man when I co-signed Deeper Than Rap.

Novid

Banned
I don't have a problem with that, even when it's blatantly false (see: Drake). Hell, you can argue mainstream rap is in a far better place now than it was in 2000-2008 ie blind & ringtone rap era.

There's a clear market for non-coon rap, even in the mainstream. Look at Kendrick, Cole, Drake to a degree, etc. Macklemore or whatever the fuck his name is has a #1 record about copping clothes at a thrift store. I'm not hating on club records, they're a part of hip hop. But I want a more equal presence of non-club shit and club shit on the radio.

Execs are going to pimp whatever makes them money. I'll take 50 Macklemores over 50 Tygas any day of the week.

Im sorry you feel that way because IMO Macklemore is just fascism clothed in hippie detritus. Tyga is innocuous and act a fool but in the end its just that. Macklemore just shows everything that is wrong with Millennial Generational culture point blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom