• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I don't even..

Makes no sense to me seeing all the middle of the road artists getting love but people don't like Royce.

But Royce is the base definition of middle of the road. He's not wordy enough to be a lyrical beast, he's not charismatic enough to be entertaining and he's the dumbest fucking rapper in the entire history of the game, pissing off Em at the start of his meteoric rise.

Royce isn't garbage like his boy Budden, but with a group of middle of the road, boring-ass nobody rappers, he's still only 3rd best, which is a polite way of saying he's second worse, which is, in itself, just a polite way of saying fuck Royce.

But Royce is the base definition of middle of the road. He's not wordy enough to be a lyrical beast, he's not charismatic enough to be entertaining and he's the dumbest fucking rapper in the entire history of the game, pissing off Em at the start of his meteoric rise.

Royce isn't garbage like his boy Budden, but with a group of middle of the road, boring-ass nobody rappers, he's still only 3rd best, which is a polite way of saying he's second worse, which is, in itself, just a polite way of saying fuck Royce.

Sure he's not a "lyrical miracle" type of rapper but he's definitely more lyrical than most of the rappers getting shine regularly in this thread. You're also a bit off on what went on with Em but that doesn't really matter either way. Dude's got absolute classic joints as a rappers rapper. But I guess most of Gaf Hop doesn't get down with that.

Man, dont ever give a fuck what GAF-Hop like or dislikes. Everyones gonna have different tastes anyway. Both Royce and Slaughterhouse are dope. People in here will make some funny posts about how shit they are and something something Budden lost.

Yet there are people saying Mac Miller is pretty good. Stop giving a fuck and enjoy the music you enjoy.

let me write a Royce verse for you

I'm spittin for a livin this shit is a given
My dick so big it can knock out Robin Givens
These rhymes are ill, Bun B said I'm trill, imma shoot you from a window sill
You want a deal? Suck my dick and call it a Dill
Pickle, I'll rip you like a sickle...cell
AR-15s and loaded nines while sippin wine
With your dime on my dick the size of a tree...pine
Riding a camel like Cole, no shots
Koch wanted to sign me I showed em my crotch
Em signed me now I drink the finest scotch
Your bitch want the menu? Hard dick on the rocks

Sure he's not a "lyrical miracle" type of rapper but he's definitely more lyrical than most of the rappers getting shine regularly in this thread. You're also a bit off on what went on with Em but that doesn't really matter either way. Dude's got absolute classic joints as a rappers rapper. But I guess most of Gaf Hop doesn't get down with that.

Typically these type of discussion is useless because what some people don't understand is that. Being Lyrical having multi syllable rhymes does not mean the ability to make a great song.
Man, dont ever give a fuck what GAF-Hop like or dislikes. Everyones gonna have different tastes anyway. Both Royce and Slaughterhouse are dope. People in here will make some funny posts about how shit they are and something something Budden lost.

Yet there are people saying Mac Miller is pretty good. Stop giving a fuck and enjoy the music you enjoy.

So you gone to act like S.D.S. isn't good at all I see.

lol see how corny this shit is.

PBY

Banned

This is AMAZING

WanderingWind

Royce and classic belong in the same sentence like Game and lyrical.

Not a thing.

WanderingWind

Should have just took the praise. Shows how much I listen to Royce though lol. Think I gave like two of his albums a spin then deleted them.

lol

Remember when Crooked I did 52 weeks of amazing freestyles and then followed it up with absolutely nothing?

Good times.

cryptic

Fuck it that shit right PP lol.

PBY

Banned
Should have just took the praise. Shows how much I listen to Royce though lol. Think I gave like two of his albums a spin then deleted them.

I've listened to waaaaay too much Royce, went through a big stannery phase right around the time he dropped that Over freestyle, and PP nailed it. The gun and dick references, he managed to get sickle cell in there, the Bun B shout out, and the Em loving. Its outstanding.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Royce has shining moments but honestly, he's boring a lot of the time. That's pretty much how you can describe every artist in Slaughterhouse except Joell Ortiz really. But when they're on, they're on.

I honestly don't think he'll ever top his verse on Slaughterhouse.

I'm no stranger to trash talk about music I listen to but in some cases it's like dudes have this desire to hate someone. Like it makes their music sound better to them if they shit on someone else.

In Royce's case though there's really no shit talk that makes sense. Dudes will sit here and dissect verses like their favorite rappers shit translates to PHD dissertations in text form.

For example...

*cherry picked Royce verse*

This isn't even an argument. You can pull a verse from anyone that comes across shitty in a text format.

Typically these type of discussion is useless because what some people don't understand is that. Being Lyrical having multi syllable rhymes does not mean the ability to make a great song.

I fully acknowledge that being a technical rapper doesn't necessarily translate to hot songs. But even if a rapper doesn't have hot songs it doesn't make them a shitty rapper. There are multiple aspects to this shit and it's fine to have your preference but being one lane or another doesn't automatically make somebody worthless.

To be more specific though, Royce is perfectly capable of writing dope songs but it's only when he goes into his darker shit. Death is Certain is sick throughout the entire tracklist. And everyone cringes when people bring up "Part of Me" due to the subject matter but it's a masterfully crafted and executed concept track.

This isn't even an argument. You can pull a verse from anyone that comes across shitty in a text format.

That isn't an actual Royce verse, he just made it up now which kinda proves that he is somewhat right if he convinced you that easily
I fully acknowledge that being a technical rapper doesn't necessarily translate to hot songs. But even if a rapper doesn't have hot songs it doesn't make them a shitty rapper. There are multiple aspects to this shit and it's fine to have your preference but being one lane or another doesn't automatically make somebody worthless.

To be more specific though, Royce is perfectly capable of writing dope songs but it's only when he goes into his darker shit. Death is Certain is sick throughout the entire tracklist. And everyone cringes when people bring up "Part of Me" due to the subject matter but it's a masterfully crafted and executed concept track.

You are the one who brought up something about middle of the road rappers we supposedly talk about and question us liking Royce. Which is why I said that

trollxi.png

*takes a bow*

cacophony

I thought Waka sounded great in the Rooster in my Rari remix. They played an I don't like remix live that sounded dope too.

you see this?

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2013/04/waka-flocka-flame-is-planning-an-edm-based-album/

arlier today, Flocka told HipHopDX that an EDM album is “already in motion.”

“Club jumpin’ like I’m Skrillex, get ‘em Diplo…” The King of Rap EDM is me. I’ve been there. Punk Rap, that’s EDM. People didn’t understand what I was saying, now they do. I see a lot of my students, I’m like the principal, I’m here to talk.

Are you going to do an EDM-based album then?

Waka Flocka Flame: Yes. Yes. It’s already in the motion. Flosstradamus, Diplo, Skrillex. Some underground people, too. I want to create a name. I’ve been doing it in hip-hop so long.

That isn't an actual Royce verse, he just made it up now which kinda proves that he is somewhat right if he convinced you that easily

The only point it proves is that I don't know every Royce verse and took a post at face value instead of expecting a troll. In other communities I would expect that type of post but I'm not familiar with yall enough to expect it here. I probably should have though so that's on me.

You are the one who brought up something about middle of the road rappers we supposedly talk about and question us liking Royce. Which is why I said that

No. I brought up liking middle of the road rappers and thinking Royce is "shit." Taste is subjective but denying one dudes skill while praising someone else who is average in all aspects is weird as hell.

WanderingWind

The only point it proves is that I don't know every Royce verse and took a post at face value instead of expecting a troll. In other communities I would expect that type of post but I'm not familiar with yall enough to expect it here. I probably should have though so that's on me.

No. I brought up liking middle of the road rappers and thinking Royce is "shit." Taste is subjective but denying one dudes skill while praising someone else who is average in all aspects is weird as hell.

Stop. Take a deep breath. Now, ask yourself. "Is people talking trash on some D list rapper worth catching all these hurt feelings over?"

The answer may surprise you.

No.

Stop. Take a deep breath. Now, ask yourself. "Is people talking trash on some D list rapper worth catching all these hurt feelings over?"

The answer may surprise you.

No.

What part of my post makes you think I'm "catching feelings?" You post, making a point. I post making a counter point. I don't live and die for these dudes. I am however trying to understand what the logic is behind the thought that Royce is shit.

From the way the conversation has gone though I suppose that logic equates to "doesn't make the type of songs I like = shit."

WanderingWind

What part of my post makes you think I'm "catching feelings?" You post, making a point. I post making a counter point. I don't live and die for these dudes. I am however trying to understand what the logic is behind the thought that Royce is shit.

From the way the conversation has gone though I suppose that logic equates to "doesn't make the type of songs I like = shit."

Like, I dunno. Is this the first time you've heard of opinions?

Because they don't really need justifying beyond that, brah. Chill.

PBY

Banned
Naw, this sounds like it could be awesome or terrible. Where is my Flockavelli 2 doe?

You should probably just not care if people here think he's shit. I mean damn, people stay thinking Wiz is hot garbage when I know he dropped the goat BBQ album. Opinions and shit.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I've listened to waaaaay too much Royce, went through a big stannery phase right around the time he dropped that Over freestyle, and PP nailed it. The gun and dick references, he managed to get sickle cell in there, the Bun B shout out, and the Em loving. Its outstanding.

I mean..... fuck yeah that is a royce verse summarized perfectly, but he says it so well.....

Also 12rd the brown tape is top five for 2013 bruhs.... apollo brown saved that album and ghost owes him some original verses.

PBY

Banned
I mean..... fuck yeah that is a royce verse summarized perfectly, but he says it so well.....

Also 12rd the brown tape is top five fir 2013 bruhs.... apollo brown saved that album and ghost owes him some original verses.
Fuck that tape. Still salty that my super vinyl pack hasn't shipped, and I don't get a digital copy of that damn version. Stuck with a useless cassette.

CRS

Not speaking on the behalf of others but my guess is that he may be technically sound, but that's all he is. There's no other trait to fall back on when he's spouting generic bullshit; generic enough that PP ghostwrote a verse with ease.

Someone's skill is taken into consideration but its only a small part in why people like certain rappers. Charisma, energy, and personality seems to go a very long way here.

Not speaking on the behalf of others but my guess is that he may be technically sound, but that's all he is. There's no other trait to fall back on when he's spouting generic bullshit; generic enough that PP ghostwrote a verse with ease.

Someone's skill is taken into consideration but its only a small part in why people like certain rappers. Charisma, energy, and personality seems to go a very long way here.

He's streaky. He's got some incredible stuff and some not so incredible to downright shameful stuff. But some bad shit doesn't disqualify the good shit. That's how I see it anyways.

I know what you're saying about being a complete package, I just didn't think people would be so defensive about talking about their opinions. Maybe it's just an old topic that everyone is tired of discussing or something.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Are we going to count both versions of 12 Reasons to Die as seperate albums for AOTY shit?

Doesn't matter. Neither will make it.

I think it should be separate and it might break the top ten 2013 has been lackluster so far (or maybe 2012 was just so good) but 12rd the brown tape is right now in my top 5.

Talking about Royce reminds me of when I saw him (and slaughterhouse) perform. his live show was great, Royce drank a small patron bottle on stage (that he opened in front the crowd) and proceeded to rap his ass off before I guess the drunken stupor kicked in and he hyped man the rest of the show for his groupmates.

Like the skill level is there I just don't think he's ever cared to use it to introspective or be deep. He rather just talk about his dick. Maybe that's why he raps about what he raps about.... Because that's what he thinks about when he is drunk.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm a Royce fan, I will get his next mixtape/album, still listen to some of his older stuff...but I sure as hell am not going to defend him. He's like that friend you gave up defending years ago because you know damn well he is a douchebag most other people don't like, but for whatever reason the two of you get along enough of the time to enjoy his company.

Thats the entire problem. He does have a ton of charisma and personality. Its that most people (and I dont blame them) can't stand his personality. He's the guy who makes parties suck, tries to fuck everyone's girlfriend, ditches out on you, makes fun of everyone else in the room, eats your food without asking, and asks to borrow your shit after he already took it.

Royce's Death Is Certain and Bar Exam 1 days were great. Pretty much 2003-2004 + 2006-2007. He's gotten pretty corny since then, but his flow was top notch during those years. He took a wrong turn with The Bar Exam 2 and all that idiotic "hungry rapper who screams to show hunger" delivery, then came all the immature comedic stuff, then some mediocre albums, and he never really recovered since. Although he kinda carried that Bad Meets Evil EP.

I'm a Royce fan, I will get his next mixtape/album, still listen to some of his older stuff...but I sure as hell am not going to defend him. He's like that friend you gave up defending years ago because you know damn well he is a douchebag most other people don't like, but for whatever reason the two of you get along enough of the time to enjoy his company.

this dude right here he gets analogies. every one of them..every one. they are spot on.

also flockaaaa on diplo beat will sound dope. i also hope we get ryan hemsworth on that album.

IrishNinja

PP read Royce like a book, damn

dude was asking me if biggie's "who shot ya?" was actually about Pac...man i don't think so but i wasnt really present when it was written

Fuck that tape. Still salty that my super vinyl pack hasn't shipped, and I don't get a digital copy of that damn version. Stuck with a useless cassette.
You should have known it will be awhile. I rememberpeople here order to OST to the man with the ironfist and it took a good month lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom