• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

It has production highlights but only a small handful of songs beat his mixtape's production. It was a mediocre album, all things considered. It showed how shallow he was, his mixtaped masked that well.

How is he shallow? He is a swag rapper lol. There was never anything deep coming from ASAP. It is all money, hoes, and clothes with him, and always will be.

I have that too, I havnt played it yet. I have Soul Sacrifice coming from amazon, you should get on that! My PSN is TheReconYoda

I got one and will add you, psn is same as my username on here. Have SS as well.

mooooose

How is he shallow? He is a swag rapper lol. There was never anything deep coming from ASAP. It is all money, hoes, and clothes with him, and always will be.

I got one and will add you, psn is same as my username on here. Have SS as well.
Not shallow in terms of lyrical content. Creativity, flow, beat selection, etc. He was carried by the production on his mixtape, but his weaknesses couldn't be hidden when more basic production made for more basic flows and all you had what his charisma which was just droning on by the end of the album.

It was like, Rocky was amazing in this little box but as soon as you put him on a stage, he was just a dude on a stage. Nothing special about him. In that little box though, he is great.

He wants to be on the stage more than the little box, so I guess his musical output will forever suffer. It sucks because he really put Clams on the map as being someone who real rappers can respect (despite all P4K and backpackers loving I'm God and other instrumentals), he gave Beautiful Lou his shine, and he gave himself a shine. He laid down some promising and consistent verses on Hands on the Wheel and Big Spender, Goldie was a beast, and then... the album was just him hamming up and buying his own hype.

I'm curious in what he does going forward but not particularly excited. I'm glad the album existed because it gave me the song LVL. That is a fucking amazing song.

mooooose

LongLiveASAP is an ok song, Jodye could've been a good song but lacks something... and all he was trying to do was diss SGP. Ghetto Symphony is pretty good, LVL is amazing, PMW is great but mostly because of Q, Goldie is amazing, 1Train is good but kinda old now and not kind to repeated listens, Angels is a really good beat and a mediocre song because all he wanted to do was diss SGP, and Wild For The Night is ok at best, he should let Danny Brown rap over beats by EDM dudes...

I'd give it like a 6/10. I'd give his mixtape an 8.5.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LongLiveASAP is an ok song, Jodye could've been a good song but lacks something... and all he was trying to do was diss SGP. Ghetto Symphony is pretty good, LVL is amazing, PMW is great but mostly because of Q, Goldie is amazing, 1Train is good but kinda old now and not kind to repeated listens, Angels is a really good beat and a mediocre song because all he wanted to do was diss SGP, and Wild For The Night is ok at best, he should let Danny Brown rap over beats by EDM dudes...

I agree with this post 100% on pretty much every point. Dem nails on dem heads.

overcast

I'm enjoying Acid Rap a lot more than I expected. After hearing about his voice I was expecting the worst. Pretty damn fun to listen to.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Ace or anyone else who knows, whats that track that starts at 29:20 on the ignorant38 mix?

PBY

Banned
Went to a vinyl flea/fair this past weekend, there were a bunch of indie labels there, it was really cool. I spent way too much much money on a lot of blind-buys.

This is one that really stood out, not hip hop, but side A is soul, and side B definitely has hip hop influences. You can stream here:

tumblr_inline_mhwx34JHbb1rpl4lt.jpg

http://bangersandash.com/003

I agree but am confused how you can believe this while hyping Q at the same time. Q is arguably a worse rapper than Rocky and is about to drop a big ambitious record to compete with what Kendrick did; not saying it'll be some concept record, but it will be his attempt at a "big" record. And if Rocky couldn't do that...how can Q?

mooooose

I agree but am confused how you can believe this while hyping Q at the same time. Q is arguably a worse rapper than Rocky and is about to drop a big ambitious record to compete with what Kendrick did; not saying it'll be some concept record, but it will be his attempt at a "big" record. And if Rocky couldn't do that...how can Q?
Rocky abandoned his established sound, Q is being the same. Yay Yay could've been on HnC and it wouldn't have been surprising at all, same with Gangsta from the sound of it.

Jitters

I feel the production on LongLiveASAP carried him better than the production on the mixtapes. The atmosphere to the album is amazing.

Recon

Banned
It's hard to believe anyone thinks A$AP Rocky's album had better production...his mixtape had god tier clams beats, his album had boring clams beats.

But here we are...Opinions!!!

iavi

I feel the production on LongLiveASAP carried him better than the production on the mixtapes. The atmosphere to the album is amazing.

I feel like the production on LLA had much higher highs--starting right from the top with the title track, to cuts like Jodeye--but was weaker overall due to blights like Fashion Killa and Wild for the Night.

I still play a few cuts from LLA regularly to this day, so the album definitely delivered, as far as I'm concerned.

---

Happy Bday, Sidx! Get wild for the night fuck being polite we goin chooochochoochoochoochohcoochocho

iavi

I'm pretty indifferent towards Skrillex, not a huge fan of dubstep, but I actually liked his beat on Wild for the Night.

I don't like it, but see exactly what it was on the album for, and don't even think it worked. I've yet to hear that track on the radio.

---

Pitchofork taking a guess at the collabs on Kanye's new solo

http://pitchfork.com/news/50622-kan...dd-future-skrillex-2-chainz-john-legend-more/

Tyler appearing on the album (or at least directing a vid) is a guarantee, I think. Ye loves him some OF.

cdyhybrid

overcast

Pitchofork taking a guess at the collabs on Kanye's new solo

http://pitchfork.com/news/50622-kan...dd-future-skrillex-2-chainz-john-legend-more/

Tyler appearing on the album (or at least directing a vid) is a guarantee, I think. Ye loves him some OF.
I'd be okay with directing a video, but we definitely don't need a Tyler feature on the album. Looking at the rumored collabs makes me wonder what the fuck the sound he is going for is. So many different artists/genre collaborations.

Sounds like Daft Punk will for sure be on there which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom