• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Hov can still rap. I know it's a few years old but it's post BP3. Relisten to shiny suit theory. Jay will only rap when he's on a track with someone he knows can potentially kill him.

iavi

Yeah....I really cannot be hyped for a new Hov project :/ after hearing his majority of his verses this past year.

Eh, he slayed his verse on the Bitch Don't Kill my Vibe remix. He still got it in him, but dudes eating too much.

DominoKid

Yeah....I really cannot be hyped for a new Hov project :/ after hearing his majority of his verses this past year.

yeah he's just not quick enough w/ it anymore.

also that shiny suit shit is like 3 years old. hov's swiftness has fallen off a lot since. its noticeable to the point where it bothers me whenever i listen to him.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hov obviously never lost his skill. He just needs inspiration and has been lacking such for a while. All of his best verses in recent memory have been a product of another artist bringing out the best in him (Kanye on WTT, Kendrick on BDKMV, Pusha and Ye on So Appalled, Ross on Free Mason, Kanye on DOA, etc.). But I can't get hyped either. I just feel like Jay doesn't have much left to offer music. That's not a bad thing either. Dude did his thing, he's just in a different space now.

Also, I don't mess with that Yeezus cover, it's just ugly (even if that's what it's meant to be like). I'd take another WTT/CS type covre over that. Sorry DONDA. But I need a image of it ASAP. Along with a tracklisting.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
yeah he's just not quick enough w/ it anymore.

also that shiny suit shit is like 3 years old. hov's swiftness has fallen off a lot since. its noticeable to the point where it bothers me whenever i listen to him.
Get him on a track with someone who can actually spit and watch him flex. I'm telling you man, jay still got it.

iavi

That SNL performance of New Slaves is pretty weak, in all my honesty. Ye seems too concerned about censoring to put the kinda aggression that's needed behind the words. A good capture of yesterday's projections sounds 7x better.

Black Skinhead is my shit, though. It's definitely not hip-hop, and Ye's voice seems kinda unsuited, but the actual cdq will probably be fine.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Also, I don't mess with that Yeezus cover, it's just ugly (even if that's what it's meant to be like). I'd take another WTT/CS type covre over that. Sorry DONDA. But I need a image of it ASAP. Along with a tracklisting.

I can't even make out what the cover is supposed to be. looks like a piece of fabric stuck in a jewel case.

olympia

I'm so fucking on board with this shit. Black Skinhead is such a rich injection of punk/hc into hip hop. It'll actually be seen as visionary because Kanye has a captive audience

I'm down with peterboy

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I agree. Went back to Cancer 4 Cure and he's helped me enjoy the album now.

That performance did not sit well at all.
I don't understand this comparison. Neither of those songs sound like anything off of C4C and unlike C4C, Kanye's delivery actually sounds like it was meant for the beats he's going over. C4C was a whole lot of "he wrote this to another joint, right?"

Very overhyped album on GAF-Hop. Raps were solid but dissonance galore between the MC and the producer.

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the El P angle on that. Maybe the distortion on Black Skinhead but that's about it.

I don't understand this comparison. Neither of those songs sound like anything off of C4C and unlike C4C, Kanye's delivery actually sounds like it was meant for the beats he's going over. C4C was a whole lot of "he wrote this to another joint, right?"

Lol that's half of El P's catalog. I mean dude has his spots but a ton of his early shit was crazy awkward off beat. That was his thing though.

iavi

There are those who accept our lord and savior, Yeezus, and dine at his side, then there's those that aint eatin. Like Absoul. And Siddx.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
No, I am not getting dragged into the kanye cycle, I've already gone too far in, I need to escape. Fuck yeebus! *jumps out the window*

mooooose

Both songs were crazy but somehow I can't help but think that if somehow ye had a different voice that sounded more gruff thst black skin head would've been much cooler. It was still really cool. Seeing how dark these songs were makes that one auto tuned song mad awkward.

iavi

Both songs were crazy but somehow I can't help but think that if somehow ye had a different voice that sounded more gruff thst black skin head would've been much cooler. It was still really cool. Seeing how dark these songs were makes that one auto tuned song mad awkward.

Honestly, the way that performance of New Slaves sounded in comparison to the studio ver/projection rips from last night, I think the studio cut of Black Skinhead is gonna bang. Yeezy'll do those million takes, and his voice'll fit.

He definitely doesn't have the kind of voice that just melds with this style track, though, that's for damn sure.

I can't even pretend to be interested in any other album coming out. Yeezus has my full attention.

Peterboy, you forget to sign out of your alt, son?

mooooose

Black skin head was clearly inspired by some hardcore and metal and punk. It sounds like aggressive rap because a lot of it cited the same influences. Ye did a good interpretation and is bringing the sound to the mainstream. I expected more trap like new slaves so I'm surprised by this. If we see hip hop go in this direction ill be pleased. It's long overdue thst we see hip hop become dark in a way that isn't just horrocore or RZA esque beats or serious lyrics.

iavi

So, hip-hip not be hip-hop? I'm all for genre melding, but Black Skinhead isn't incorporating elements of punk, it's punk played out with a synth and drum kit.

I agree that hip-hop artist should be open to including within ther tapes, or becoming proficient in different styles of track. RAM being the most recent example of this, there's so much that could be done with the time an actual lp spans. There's no need to fill it with the samey sounding shit, or genre all the way through.

No weezy, though. That's how to not do it

I didn't even want to join the conversation, but I can't really say it's not a hip-hop track. At the same time I don't really care enough to make an argument on whether or not what genre it is. All I know is that, Kanye West is very clearly rapping and the song still had quite a structure of a hip-hop song. Good enough for me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I didn't even want to join the conversation, but I can't really say it's not a hip-hop track. At the same time I don't really care enough to make an argument on whether or not what genre it is. All I know is that, Kanye West is very clearly rapping and the song still had quite a structure of a hip-hop song. Good enough for me.
My thoughts exactly.

June will be a good month for that aggressive rap. Assuming Kanye full album is like that. That Killer Mike & El-P dropping then too. Ughhh, don't even get me started on the MAC

iavi

Eh. This goes back to that Hip-Hop=/=Rap thing I was debating with Esch about way before, pay it no mind. I was more interested in sparking a convo on the inclusion of other genre's in lps, though, or of artists becoming more than hip-hop artists, rappers, or metalheads anyway.

That's where music needs to be at for me. Thinking back even Thriller, my GOAT is multi-genre. There's just more fun in that.

i have no idea what would make someone think that wasnt a rap song

never said that, homie

CRS

Maybe I'm not in the right mood for it but I didn't care for the performances at all. We'll see when the single(s) officially drop.

iavi

Nikkas When Yeezy comes out in a couple weeks saying that he isn't a hip-hop artist anymore, or that he's MORE than a hip-hop artist--musically--just think back on this moment. Seethe on it for a second. Don't forget Miizy taught you.

I don't disagree, it has influences from others for sure.

You go from baby making R&B to poprock. That's the circle of life.

i like the marilyn manson beautiful people sample at the start of black skinhead.

i'd lose my shit if they got reznor on the hook or producing on of these songs.

Detox

Thinking about Kanye and just hiphop in general the soundscape has become much more layered over the last couple of years. You guys think Em's sound will go through a similar overhaul like in 2005 Toy Soldiers kind of set his blueprint for the last 6 / 7 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom