• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

Black skin head was clearly inspired by some hardcore and metal and punk. It sounds like aggressive rap because a lot of it cited the same influences. Ye did a good interpretation and is bringing the sound to the mainstream. I expected more trap like new slaves so I'm surprised by this. If we see hip hop go in this direction ill be pleased. It's long overdue thst we see hip hop become dark in a way that isn't just horrocore or RZA esque beats or serious lyrics.

i dont think hip-hop will follow him in this direction. they didn't really follow him after MBDTF although i think a lot of rappers on a mainstream level heard that and realized they needed to step their game up.

i'm hoping for some wild sounding shit like Quintana on there too. i love that joint. speaking of Travis Scott...i guess Owl Pharaoh is still dropping on Tuesday? this is the tracklist. he said there's also "secret features" too.
3X63zSB.png

Thinking about Kanye and just hiphop in general the soundscape has become much more layered over the last couple of years. You guys think Em's sound will go through a similar overhaul like in 2005 Toy Soldiers kind of set his blueprint for the last 6 / 7 years?

hell no. barring a miracle Em is done and he has been for a while. he doesn't have the spark anymore.

Detox

Commercially, Em is likely to have the biggest album this year. Creatively he might be bankrupt on themes and that is why I was wondering if he might be compelled to change his sound and that could give him the energy to switch into something different that could be be refreshing. I hope he does go for a new sound, Aftermath and Shady got some of the best producers in the game and rarely do they produce for other artists, it'll be nice to challenge them to make something new.

CRS

Thinking about Kanye and just hiphop in general the soundscape has become much more layered over the last couple of years. You guys think Em's sound will go through a similar overhaul like in 2005 Toy Soldiers kind of set his blueprint for the last 6 / 7 years?

Em will probably go backwards and do a major old school/boom bap album.

Detox

Em will probably go backwards and do a major old school/boom bap album.
That would be interesting especially if he can make the sound work in 2013. He certainly got the technique for it and he could just do braggadocio boom bap, it doesn't need to be anything deep.

these yeezy joints are artistic and creative as fuck....but I just dont feel alot of replay value in them. They feel like songs I listen to once or twice and be like..."yea that was pretty epic...but I don't wanna bump that shit"

This is pretty much how I feel. I mean, I don't regularly choose any Kanye stuff as "go to" music, but this is on some next level "Gotta be in the right mood to hear it."

Esch

Banned
really wish i had a version of Pop That with no Wayne on it.

shits so hype its hard to ruin but god damn that verse is basura.

codhand

harry fraud would never have fit in with stuff like pop that

that wanye verse is annoying still id rather keep the wayne and lose the diddy verses, he cant even spit someone elses written

Sounds good, but in no universe does this sound even slightly likely.

Unless you were joking.

It could happen. Jay went back to his drugs/street style with American Gangster. Em's work on Bad Meets Evil is at least a step back towards his earlier career stuff. The problem is he needs people in his circle that utilize that style but almost no one does anymore. The ones that do are emulating him so it doesn't fuel any creativity in that lane.

codhand

i wanna hear diddy do a solo pop rap album like he used to. maybe a concept album. 12 tracks about how much he misses jennifer lopez. i would buy that day one.

see5harp

hehhhhh

so many bangers in it. it's missing a harry fraud beat though.

The Diddy and Jeremih track is straight up ridic.

I haven't even heard the Kanye stuff but I can't believe people are trying to say that El-P can't rap. Come on now. People should be embracing variety in music.

DominoKid

The Diddy and Jeremih track is straight up ridic.

I haven't even heard the Kanye stuff but I can't believe people are trying to say that El-P can't rap. Come on now. People should be embracing variety in music.

but he cant tho. his beats are ill but his raps blow.

see5harp

but he cant tho. his beats are ill but his raps blow.

I completely disagree. He's had amazing verses over the years. I certainly agree that he has a certain cadence that may not jive with every hip-hop fan though. If you want a super traditional style go back and listen to Funcrusher.

codhand

I completely disagree. He's had amazing verses over the years. I certainly agree that he has a certain cadence that may not jive with every hip-hop fan though. If you want a super traditional style go back and listen to Funcrusher.

a lot of the songs on cancer for cure, are conceptually really interesting or original, even if you hate the flow.

You're turning a blind eye to his catalog as a whole man. He's improved vastly but half his shit is off beat or lines that stretch way past the bar.

Edit: Conceptually sometimes there's ill concepts but a lot is just left field shit. That's why he and Aesop Rock work so well together. And I say that as a Aesop Rock fan.

Esch

Banned
El P can rap. You cant listen to shit like young scooter and talk to me about El P on the mic fuck outta here. If you dont like the shit he has to say, hes corny, thats straight. but he raps better than the majority of dudes in the game right now.

HiResDes

El-P raps really well actually, and most times when he's offbeat it's done in a stylish way, kind of like when ODB would just say fuck it and go off on a wild tangent.

see5harp

You're turning a blind eye to his catalog as a whole man. He's improved vastly but half his shit is off beat or lines that stretch way past the bar.

Edit: Conceptually sometimes there's ill concepts but a lot is just left field shit. That's why he and Aesop Rock work so well together. And I say that as a Aesop Rock fan.

I love everything he's done so I'm not sure I follow.

EDIT: and yes, most of the time El-P is "off" it's because he's rapping for effect or purpose. Some of you swear dude is past his prime Del or RZA. Now those dudes are garbage.

Esch

Banned
El-P raps really well actually, and most times when he's offbeat it's done in a stylish way, kind of like when ODB would just say fuck it and go off on a wild tangent.
^^^^^ plus hes gotten more funny over the years. some of the shit he said on C4C was clever. I mean i get it if you think hes another corny white abstract DOOM/Ghost wannabe.... thats fine. but dont tell me he sucks on the mic cause thats just not true.

effzee

Commercially, Em is likely to have the biggest album this year. Creatively he might be bankrupt on themes and that is why I was wondering if he might be compelled to change his sound and that could give him the energy to switch into something different that could be be refreshing. I hope he does go for a new sound, Aftermath and Shady got some of the best producers in the game and rarely do they produce for other artists, it'll be nice to challenge them to make something new.

I think even commercially Kanye will have a bigger album. Em might be close who knows. Depends on the first single. When is it supposed to come out? I thought by now we would have the single.

I would love for a whole album produced by Alchemist with maybe 1 commercial track for the radio.

DominoKid

Yeah Em's puts up numbers like he's got the rap game on Easy Mode.

VVV meh i have no problem saying DOOM now is nearing Larry Holmes status. its fine. it happens.

see5harp

I hate to say it but DOOM is starting to sound old. Back in the day I would look past his cadence because that was one of the ways his humor worked. I still think nods to random actors is funny but he's just played that card too many times. If you are saying DOOM has always sucked that's crazy.

RZA too. Someone go to the back of the shed and put that man out of his misery. It's crazy that RZA keeps getting features on relevant artist's albums when it's not like prime RZA was that much better at rapping. Let us not forget that was the dude that made some of us unlucky buy "THE B THE O THE B THE B THE Y THE D THE I...." Fuck RZA for wasting 2 weeks of my allowance.

I love everything he's done so I'm not sure I follow.

EDIT: and yes, most of the time El-P is "off" it's because he's rapping for effect or purpose. Some of you swear dude is past his prime Del or RZA. Now those dudes are garbage.

I'm not saying the man is awful and I fully recognize that it's his style. But even knowing that it's his style people need to admit that it comes across awkward, intentional or not. There's a reason why music has scales and rhythms. People can break those rules all they want but it comes at a cost.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Em could drop an absolute turd and it'd be ridiculously successful. We know this, his recent history shows just that.

Kanye doesn't have the same commercial appeal he once had, at his height which was probably Graduation. Post-Mercy and WTT though, things could change. Kanye will always do solid numbers but he's pretty much villainized in popular media today and that's a permanent hit on his appeal at large which was once greater. That's why MBDTF only did like 600k of so the first week. We all have those friends who think Kanye West suddenly became an asshole years ago and might fuck with his current music but hate the dude for who he is too much to go check anything out beyond singles.

I remember in one of my classes we where talking about people who would need better PR. Someone said Kanye and then all of a sudden a real life peterboy emerged. I like Kanye a lot, but please don't call the dude a genius in public and start doing the Kanye cycle for you classmates...

PBY

Banned
Weirdly, Kanye brings out racism more than almost any rapper imho, just looking at comment sections across the web. I don't understand why he gets the level and volume of vitriol that gets hurled at him.

I guess because he transformed from that pink polo rapper to a coked out black panther, who if you aren't careful, will snatch your mic away again taylor.

DominoKid

Weirdly, Kanye brings out racism more than almost any rapper imho, just looking at comment sections across the web. I don't understand why he gets the level and volume of vitriol that gets hurled at him.

I guess because he transformed from that pink polo rapper to a coked out black panther, who if you aren't careful, will snatch your mic away again taylor.

i think it's by design really. Kanye likes to challenge (offend lol) people.
but yeah i definitely feel that sentiment. there's no place in the world for a black man who won't compromise himself.

Esch

Banned
You just tried to compare Ye with Pac with that line didn't you?
Bruh im just telling you right now just from the title of these songs you are going to witness months and months of overwhelming irony watching Kanye go all pro black. just sit back and enjoy it.

HiResDes

Not gonna lie, some people are going to hate this guy's voice, but fuck some of these songs go so fucking hard. He sounds like Lil Boosie, Jermaine Dupri, and Pimp C in a blender:

....Dom and Peter check this shit out

For as painful as it was to sit through an episode of SNL, Ye did not disappoint. Though, I already heard someone say "I'd rather be a dick than a swallower." Scust. I like the braggadocios, black-excellence, castle-swag stuff he's been putting out, but three album's worth? After his and Kim's inevitable separation, dude's going to pull another Chappelle and disappear again, only to come back a year later and put out a proper sequel to 808s. #Yeezuswept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom