• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gucci Mane Says He & Waka Flocka Flame "Always Work It Out"

Gucci Mane says that Waka Flocka Flame's verses will be included in his summer 2013 Brick Squad album.

Further pressed about Gucci's relationship with his onetime protege and Brick Squad stand-out, Gucci explained, "There was more of a miscommunication and things got misconstrued. But we got too much of a good thing. Whatever we got to work out, we always work it out."

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Goddamnit, Indicud pisses me off. 6 or 7 songs are really fucking good. Like take me back to MOTM1 good. And then there's all this complete garbage filler in between.

6 or 7? more like 1 or 2. that album was a hot mess.

Recon

Banned
Red Eye, Just What I Am, Immortal, King Wizard, Solo Dolo pt.2 are all good, IMO. Classic Cudi.

Immortal and Just What I Am could have been on either MOTM.

Village

Have you all ever heard a song and tried to find an instrumental for the song, then find out the rapper and the label died ( the rapper didnt litterally die) and no one knows where the instrumental is.

Recon

Banned
Nice, what blog did you find him at? With your eclectic taste, I'm surprised you don't do a quarterly round up.

LMAO. I love when peeps randomly pop in like that. This is a community thread, we have probably discussed any fairly big mixtape/album.

sheeeit, I kinda wanna buy this. One of my favorite albums of all time:

digable-planets-blowout-comb-reissue-lead-alt-1.jpg

DominoKid

Trinidad James on druuuuuuuuuuuuuugs. Have to say I agree w/ his argument. Click for the whole thing. The second half aint that interesting though.

XXL: In A-Trak’s article, he talks about drug culture in hip-hop and mentions that it’s celebrated too freely by some of the genre’s biggest artists. What do you have to say that?

Trinidad James: Honestly man, life is based on moderation. Anything that you do, you have to do it in moderation. People overdo it and it turns into people OD’ing or dying, but it’s all about how extreme you go with it. Some artists have made some of their most incredible music on drugs, so for me to say that drugs are messing up hip-hop, I’m not going to say that. It’s just that some people really believe so much of what we say, and people honestly don’t understand moderation.

But with an artist like Juicy J—who raps about popping a molly on every single song—younger listeners might hear that and be like, “Well, if Juicy does it every day then I should too.”

But tell me this—if Chief Keef is shooting people every day, is that what you’re going to do? You got to be your own man, you know?
If that’s what Juicy is doing, then fuck, man, you gotta let him do what he do. He’s just being real with you. If I was doing molly every day then I would rap about doing molly every day. People just have to understand that it’s about moderation.

Do you feel like some rappers glorify drugs to the point that listeners who had never done drugs before might try them?

That definitely happens… There are some artists who make drug references just to look cool, or just trying to appeal to somebody, right? But shit, dude, people have been doing that forever. It’s not even about drugs, it can be about anything—cars, whips, jewelry. Artists make music, and some artists talk about shit that they really live, but it’s on the listener to decipher if it’s real and if they really fuck with it or if they’re going along with it because everyone else is. That’s how this game is set up, man. You’ve got people who want to hear about the shit that they want, but not the shit that they need to hear about. People don’t want to hear positive raps as much as people want to hear negative rap.

Like ignorant rap?

Well, consistently talking about violence, and drugs and bitches, that’s not the “right thing” to talk about, from a Godly standpoint or from a moral standpoint. But that’s what people want to hear! Like, how many positive rappers are really making it these days?

Not many. I want to talk about a line you have on your first big hit “All Gold Everything,” where you rap, “Popped a molly, I’m sweatin’. Woo!”

But I wasn’t telling you to do molly, I was just telling you about my experience.

Right, but let’s say some kids hear that and then they go to your show and take molly and end up getting really sick or OD’ing. Do you have any sympathy for them?

When I made that song I wasn’t thinking about the kid who was going to listen to the song. I was just speaking about my life, and if you can relate, great. But why can’t you relate to the line, “Count your blessings?” No, you want to relate to “Popped a molly, I’m sweatin’.” That’s not my fault, you chose to listen and focus on the drug reference. That’s on you, my nigga.
I don’t feel no type of sympathy or anything, because at the end of the day I know what’s right and wrong. I’ve done wrong and I’ve done right, but these people who do stupid shit and blame it on rap… get the hell out of here. It’s your choice if you want to pull out a gun. I’ll say this though, the music does have an influence, I’m not going to say it doesn’t. But you still have a choice and a conscience that God gave you. So it’s on you.

So you rely on fans to use their judgment when it comes to drugs.

Yes, man. Since I put out “All Gold Everything,” you can check my Twitter, I’ve never quoted that line. I’ve never talked about it. I’ve never made any promo shirts for it.

But that’s everyone’s favorite line.

And why is that? Because people want to hear that type of shit. But I wasn’t thinking about that, I was just telling you about my experience.

I guess it depends on how much you hold rappers accountable for what they say. Me personally? I don't at all.

I guess it depends on how much you hold rappers accountable for what they say. Me personally? I don't at all.

People forget that music is entertainment and always want to vilify musicians for the content of their work. It's a product to be consumed. Anyone who does something "because he/she heard it in _____" is just trying to justify their own actions. Dumb.

coldvein

Banned
so trinidad james is like "stupid people want to focus on ignorant shit, and i can make money off that, so that's what imma do". i dig it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom