• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Got:
1 x XCOM: Enemy Unknown
1 x GTA IV Complete
1 x La Noire Complete

All redeem on Steam, reply with which one you want and I'll send a PM with the code.

#1. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories - 339,000 (340,000)

#4. French Montana - Excuse My French - 56,000 (56,000)

#5. The Great Gatsby Soundtrack - 54,000 (286,000)

#17. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - The Heist - 24,000 (754,000)

#23. Lil Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being II - 15,000 (453,000)

#42. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city - 8,800 (905,000)

#113. Eve - Lip Lock - 3,500 (12,000)

#160. LL Cool J - Authentic - 2,700 (26,000)

#165. Snoop Lion - Reincarnated - 2,600 (40,000)

#175. Gucci Mane - Trap House III - 2,500 (2,500)

jay-z-laugh-e1348848394860.jpg

Got:
1 x XCOM: Enemy Unknown
1 x GTA Complete
1 x La Noire Complete

All redeem on Steam, reply with which one you want and I'll send a PM with the code.

La Noire?

DominoKid

“Do I think I’ll beat Kanye numbers wise? I have no clue, but I’m nervous. For me, though, I already won. I know the album, and I know that I’ve won.”

"I don’t know. I will say that there was a point where they [Kanye, Nas, Jay-Z] seemed far out of reach. Now everybody feels like competition to me.”

“I think me, Kendrick, and Drake need to stop acting like no one can do better than Jay, Ye, or Nas. We’ve got to step up to that plate as the new legends.”

it's nice to be confident but don't gas yourself Cole.

Kwixotik

“Do I think I’ll beat Kanye numbers wise? I have no clue, but I’m nervous. For me, though, I already won. I know the album, and I know that I’ve won.”

"I don’t know. I will say that there was a point where they [Kanye, Nas, Jay-Z] seemed far out of reach. Now everybody feels like competition to me.”

“I think me, Kendrick, and Drake need to stop acting like no one can do better than Jay, Ye, or Nas. We’ve got to step up to that plate as the new legends.”

Drake?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Why did he include Kendrick and Drake in that sentence? Cole honestly isn't on their level yet.

He won't even do GKMC numbers.

I'll give Cole credit for not including Wayne in the legends discussion. Dunno how I feel about Kanye being compared to Nasir Jones though.

DominoKid

I'll give Cole credit for not including Wayne in the legends discussion. Dunno how I feel about Kanye being compared to Nasir Jones though.

Kanye's a legend. He's in that category now. but it aint so much about comparing Kanye to Nas as it is comparing himself to Kanye w/ the new = old parallels.

Cole = Kanye (top rapper/producer)
Kendrick = Nas (top lyricist)
Drake = Hov (super popular, dumb down my lyrics to double my dollars)

and Cole is seriously lacking in his comparison.

Kanye's a legend. He's in that category now. but it aint so much about comparing Kanye to Nas as it is comparing himself to Kanye w/ the new = old parallels.

Cole = Kanye (top rapper/producer)
Kendrick = Nas (top lyricist)
Drake = Hov (super popular, dumb down my lyrics to double my dollars)

and Cole is seriously lacking in his comparison.

To put it lightly. I laugh at Drake all the time but it's clear he'll be around for awhile, and is pretty much the only "new" guy in hip hop I can see consistently going platinum. Kendrick...remains to be seen. He has the talent and movement to stick around but I want to see how he follows up GKMC; unlike Drake or Cole's first albums, Kendrick pretty much blew everyone away with his debut. Will he go for a more conventional album next? It's hard to imagine he coming up with a more compelling concept than GKMC, which is the definition of the "you only get to make a debut album once" mantra.

Perhaps the Nas comparison is fitting. I'm not comparing GKMC to Illmatic, but both albums challenged the artist on what direction they'd go in next. Nas went more commercial with IWW, to initially mixed reactions.

Cole...doesn't strike me as special or potentially special though. Maybe he'll surprise me. FNL is amazing as are his other mixtapes.

I wonder how old the Jay Electronica verse on Mac Miller's album is. Same question about his verse on Yeezus; I bet that's the verse he was supposed to send for Cruel Summer.

overcast

Come on Cole. You can't compare yourself to Kendrick on an artistic level, and you aren't close to drake on a commercial level.

Make something fantastic then we'll see. (Besides FNL and Warm Up).

To put it lightly. I laugh at Drake all the time but it's clear he'll be around for awhile, and is pretty much the only "new" guy in hip hop I can see consistently going platinum. Kendrick...remains to be seen. He has the talent and movement to stick around but I want to see how he follows up GKMC; unlike Drake or Cole's first albums, Kendrick pretty much blew everyone away with his debut. Will he go for a more conventional album next? It's hard to imagine he coming up with a more compelling concept than GKMC, which is the definition of the "you only get to make a debut album once" mantra.

Perhaps the Nas comparison is fitting. I'm not comparing GKMC to Illmatic, but both albums challenged the artist on what direction they'd go in next. Nas went more commercial with IWW, to initially mixed reactions.

Cole...doesn't strike me as special or potentially special though. Maybe he'll surprise me. FNL is amazing as are his other mixtapes.

That album was and is pretty bad. Follow up to Illmatic or not

SadAli

Neo Member
Kendrick...remains to be seen. He has the talent and movement to stick around but I want to see how he follows up GKMC; unlike Drake or Cole's first albums, Kendrick pretty much blew everyone away with his debut. Will he go for a more conventional album next? It's hard to imagine he coming up with a more compelling concept than GKMC, which is the definition of the "you only get to make a debut album once" mantra.

While I'm also not sure where Kendrick will go next, it's worth noting that GKMC is not his debut album and was a pretty clear development of a lot of the stuff he was playing round with on Section.80. To me the main surprise was that they continued to explore that sound rather than the expected "Look out for Detox" style stuff he was dropping in between (which I'm also not made at).

DominoKid

#175. Gucci Mane - Trap House III - 2,500 (2,500)

KuGsj.gif

No buzz, no hype;

just released to the wolves.

for whatever reason he just nixed all the promo and moved it up 2 months. aint nobody buy it. i dont even think he had it up on itunes when it was supposed to be. but it's bumping in the streets though.

we know gucci eating though. we got visual evidence of that shit lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom