• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rosenberg is a hip hop fan, period. I'm not going to hate him for having standards and not being down with bullshit. He speaks his mind, and we need more of that instead of this bullshit "hater" culture. If you don't like something you should be able to say why, and for the most part I rarely disagree with his views. That doesn't make you a hater.

On the other hand Ebro is baffling to me. Sure I agree with a lot of his views, he's very smart, and I would recommend any hip hop fan to listen to his Combat Jack interview; it's very insightful on how radio works and why "underground" shit can't get played. But his aggressive persona just strikes me as dumb. Like, he's trying to start drama to get ratings for Hot 97. If you watched the Mr. Cee shit you know Ebro was on the edge of his seat baiting Cee to come out the closet - he knew that would be great radio and get Hot 97 a lot of free publicity, but Mr Cee refused. It just came off as very superficial to me, and the same applies to his artist interviews where he constantly interjects himself into the conversation.

Cudder

Rosenberg is a pretty typical NY white hip hop fan IMO. I have the same taste as him other than his hate for Q because he promoted drunk driving and it made Rosenberg mad.
Because he lost someone to a dumbfuck drunk driver? Q's whole response to that was stupid too.

effzee

Rosenberg is a hip hop fan, period. I'm not going to hate him for having standards and not being down with bullshit. He speaks his mind, and we need more of that instead of this bullshit "hater" culture. If you don't like something you should be able to say why, and for the most part I rarely disagree with his views. That doesn't make you a hater.

On the other hand Ebro is baffling to me. Sure I agree with a lot of his views, he's very smart, and I would recommend any hip hop fan to listen to his Combat Jack interview; it's very insightful on how radio works and why "underground" shit can't get played. But his aggressive persona just strikes me as dumb. Like, he's trying to start drama to get ratings for Hot 97. If you watched the Mr. Cee shit you know Ebro was on the edge of his seat baiting Cee to come out the closet - he knew that would be great radio and get Hot 97 a lot of free publicity, but Mr Cee refused. It just came off as very superficial to me, and the same applies to his artist interviews where he constantly interjects himself into the conversation.

Agreed.

His interview with BOB was complete bull shit too. Tried to make BOB feel bad for going pop and tried to explain away hot97 not playing his music while at any time of the day you can catch them playing Justin Timberlake pop/r&b. His whole reasoning seemed to be "well we can't play you cause you went the pop direction almost like leaving hip hop behind and now you trying to get back at it cause your 2nd pop record didn't go off like you planned". WTF? Hot 97 mostly plays the same 5 songs, the same 5 songs most other rap stations are playings differing only by regions. And those 5 songs include pop songs and whatever else is popular.

If you gonna act tough or big then flat out tell him they didn't play BOB cause the record wasn't good and it didn't trend. Don't act like you are all of a sudden some gate keeper of pop rap and real rap.

So glad the Pro era crew released a video for Like Water, best song off that tape. On a somewhat related note, Bird's Eye View is amazing. Just great.

On another somewhat related note, (lol) I think it's finally time, and with that I ask you guys, where do I start with Action Bronson?

mooooose

Because he lost someone to a dumbfuck drunk driver? Q's whole response to that was stupid too.

I didn't say Rosenberg was wrong and I agree Q's answer was dumb but he was also high off his ass and probably leaning. Still not a good answer and he should be sober to give interviews.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Pretty much. Everything about Hot97 now is superficial.

Rosenberg has studied the game. When he gets infront of artists, he asks them about lost verses, their contemporaries that didn't make it out of the new artist hustle, stuff that comes with a dose of knowledge. He often plays unreleased songs (or songs that never made it to the masses) that he just has sitting there because he tried his hardest acquiring them. A good example of this is his Jay interview which is the greatest. And he just works so well with Ciph that its always good when they put out something.

Ebro forcing himself onto the morning show, a long with forcing K Foxx is pretty much just them trying to catch up to Power 105.1 knowing now that they've stolen all their thunder and present a better product that gets better ratings and makes a bigger Internet footprint than what Hot97 has been doing. Now you have shit like "the realness" which is essentially let's try to stir up shit like Charlamagne style (don't get me wrong, some of these have good ideas, but they feel so fabricated). Like Charlamagne said, if you have to call a single show the Realness, why aren't you being real all the time? Longer interviews with the morning show that constantly have people speaking over each other without being as good as the Breakfast Club. Forcing in K Foxx while not promoting Angie Martinez as much when she clearly has more connects and has been in the game longer. List goes on.

Breakfast Club is consistently good. I watch that shit near religiously now. It just feels like a natual conversation with artists, and that's why it succeeds.

mooooose

Angie Martinez sucks though. She gives shitty interviews. She is hot tho and probably gets the d all around.

The only standout personality on the breakfast club is charlamagne. hot97 morning show, for better or worse, has notable personalities.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Angie Martinez sucks though. She gives shitty interviews. She is hot tho and probably gets the d all around.

The only standout personality on the breakfast club is charlamagne. hot97 morning show, for better or worse, has notable personalities.
I like Angie, she asks more personal life stuff though, not entirely hip-hop related. That shit is just like friends talking, usually cause she's close with most of them. But if Angie had K Foxx' role I'm sure she'd drop gems much more frequently.

Envy and Yee offset Charlamagne going in on things with legitimate questions. They usually prod out industry relations out of them and label stuff. Envy is that DJ that is making way more money than he should and Yee is the gossip girl. Mostly Charlamagne's show, but they need to be there too. Hot97 has Juan Epstein and Flex/Ebro/Mr.Cee that all fill the same niche of the old man wanting to hear that GRR REAL STREET SHIT NAHMEAN.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Top Dawg's note posted over at TDE back in 2010, via Semtex:

IMG_08421.jpg

More than satisfactory list of attributes you want out of your artist IMO. I didn't know Top Dawg has been in the industry this long though.

I will give Hot 97 credit for acknowledging hip hop that came out 4 or more years ago, whereas most urban radio acts like that shit doesn't exist; goes back to hip hop being the most disposable music on the market. But overall they play all the same shit Power 105.1 plays. You can't preach to me about musical/cultural integrity and play Future 100 time a day.

I listen to Roc Marciano every week yet at the same time will straight up tell you Super Bass is a perfect pop rap song. I can listen to music I don't like while realizing it sounds good sonically, is catchy, etc. A lot of the shit I like doesn't have hooks or choruses, I "get" why that doesn't work on radio. Action Bronson, Spitta, Krit, Joey Badass, etc either are horrible with hooks or completely eliminate them from their music. Whereas in the 90s there was a plethora of dope, catchy hooks on even the most underground backpack shit. To me that's the biggest difference between rap now and rap back in the day. There are plenty of rappers today who could hang with most 90s rappers lyrically, and there's plenty of dope production today that wouldn't be out of place in the 90s. But rappers today, especially the "underground" dudes, can't craft songs like the 90s rappers did.

mooooose

Hot 97 gets too much flack IMO. I've put on the radio and surprisingly heard strictly 4 my jeeps in the past week. Even if its just Rosenberg putting on the young backpackers and flex putting on the ny mcs, they do get on even if they don't get pushed. I never hear that on 105, ever. Rosenberg brings up Joey badass, Bronson, Tde, odd future, etc regularly. Ebro fucks with tanboys, Troy ave, and Flatbush zombies. Flex always drops new dipset records. It could be worse at hot 97.

Hot 97 gets too much flack IMO. I've put on the radio and surprisingly heard strictly 4 my jeeps in the past week. Even if its just Rosenberg putting on the young backpackers and flex putting on the ny mcs, they do get on even if they don't get pushed. I never hear that on 105, ever. Rosenberg brings up Joey badass, Bronson, Tde, odd future, etc regularly. Ebro fucks with tanboys, Troy ave, and Flatbush zombies. Flex always drops new dipset records. It could be worse at hot 97.

Yea that's true, can't really deny it. Plus they put on multiple lives shows that focus on underground acts, helping them get exposure.

Macca

Just listened to that Run the Jewels track. It was ok. El-P totally pulled that shit down though, Mike and Big Boi killed it, and his shit was average as fuck.

Cudder

that's great but i think multi til the sun die is the best off that one. it's just so..beautiful.

also holy shit i'm crying right now, just saw the gaf documentary and i did a spit-take when they got the robotic google voice to read out hiresdes thread and the response

it was pretty funny, but at the same time, kinda fucked up how they just rummaged through posts and pulled that one out and brought it out into the light again. and to have a fucking Microsoft Sam voice it all on top of that, I'd feel as if I was being mocked. I dunno if HRD is cool with it or not, but I would be pissed having that brought out there AGAIN and exposing a dark time in my life like that for even more people to see. HRD you should try suing them or something, might help with the baby expenses.

hubes

went to the roots picnic yesterday. wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

trinidad james - aight

hitboy - aight

joey bada$$ - nice

macklemore - dope

naughty by nature backed by the roots - woooooooooo got damn this was crazy. feel me flow is one of my favorite summer tracks and that shit was crazy with the roots. they killed their entire set.

the roots - i dont even have words.. best shit ive ever seen. the amount of fun they have on stage makes the greatest atmosphere. captain kirk douglas :wow:. and black thought is now forever going to be in my top 5. dude was always right there but he kilt it all night.

roots also brought out meek mill as a surprise guest and he did about 5 songs. was a really good change of pace to get really hyped again at like 10:30 after standing in 100 degree heat all day

id say its a requirement for any hip hop fan to see the roots live once

So glad the Pro era crew released a video for Like Water, best song off that tape. On a somewhat related note, Bird's Eye View is amazing. Just great.

On another somewhat related note, (lol) I think it's finally time, and with that I ask you guys, where do I start with Action Bronson?

IMO its almost always a good idea to start with an artists debut album and work your way from there.
ActionBronsonDrLecter.jpg

I had a dream it was June 18th and I went to go buy Cole, Mac, and Kanye's album. I was in the store and I found both Cole and Mac, but not Kanye's album, so I asked a lady if they happened to have it in the back but haven't stocked it in the shelves yet.

She said she was going to check and it took her a minute to come back to me. I noticed she went to go get the manager and I was like what's the problem? What happened? They were like we see the box for Kanye Yeezus album, but there's nothing but blank CDs in it. I gave a :| face then I woke up

I had a dream it was June 18th and I went to go buy Cole, Mac, and Kanye's album. I was in the store and I found both Cole and Mac, but not Kanye's album, so I asked a lady if they happened to have it in the back but haven't stocked it in the shelves yet.

She said she was going to check and it took her a minute to come back to me. I noticed she went to go get the manager and I was like what's the problem? What happened? They were like we see the box for Kanye Yeezus album, but there's nothing but blank CDs in it. I gave a :| face then I woke up

tumblr_mamvx5v6ka1qzldls.jpg

kamspy

GRID 2 is sum good shit on PC. Better than I expected.

Anyhow, J.Cole. Zaggin's Know. Not very good. Talk about doing your drums on an iPhone app, holy shit. Dude needs to up the effort level like crazy. Maybe it's not even that and he's just got horrible taste in choosing sounds. And lyrics.

When we gonna get a CDQ for one of the new Yeezy songs.

IMO its almost always a good idea to start with an artists debut album and work your way from there.

Yeah fair enough, thanks.

You're missing the second best album dropping that day.
Extended Play - Statik Selektah

You're missing the second best album dropping that day.
Extended Play - Statik Selektah
He is too inconsistent for me to be even be faithful in him dropping the 2nd best album, but yes, I did forget him.

Edit: Well some of the songs I've heard from the album are pretty decent.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
went to the roots picnic yesterday. wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

trinidad james - aight

hitboy - aight

joey bada$$ - nice

macklemore - dope

naughty by nature backed by the roots - woooooooooo got damn this was crazy. feel me flow is one of my favorite summer tracks and that shit was crazy with the roots. they killed their entire set.

the roots - i dont even have words.. best shit ive ever seen. the amount of fun they have on stage makes the greatest atmosphere. captain kirk douglas :wow:. and black thought is now forever going to be in my top 5. dude was always right there but he kilt it all night.

roots also brought out meek mill as a surprise guest and he did about 5 songs. was a really good change of pace to get really hyped again at like 10:30 after standing in 100 degree heat all day

id say its a requirement for any hip hop fan to see the roots live once

Yep they are still the best live show I'v ever seen. The only act coming close was busta rhymes

He is too inconsistent for me to be even be faithful in him dropping the 2nd best album, but yes, I did forget him.

Edit: Well some of the songs I've heard from the album are pretty decent.

Valid point, I'm just cautiously pessimistic about Cole's album so that's why I have Statik's second.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Joey Bada$$ really is the definition of a stuck in the 90s ninja. Mofucka dresses like he starred in a super soaker commercial.

DominoKid

Ferg da gawd fucking up. Trap Lord dropping August 20.

These rappers must get caught w/ their pants down when one of their songs picks up steam. Nobody's even gonna care about Work anymore in 3 months. Should've had that shit out on Memorial Day.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Did they set an alarm?
Who needs alarms when you have Flex to drop bombs?

Was super weird, he came out at the very end of Meek Mills set, played a blip of One Blood, then a bit of G-G-G-G-G-G-UNIT and then they cut to J. Cole being asked about disappointing Nas lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom