• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Common rapped about black power this and chi-town all throughout his career, while thugging it out on tracks. He got away with both sides, even while acting, because of his image.

It's far easier to take someone seriously when they're trying to deconstruct something, if they can fake giving a shit about it in their actions. Nobody gives a fuck about random rapper talking about coke and preaching negatives all of their lives.

Nas himself has gotten called out as far back as the Street Wars tapes, by other rappers, for the same shit.

This also goes to show how people see regular rappers and actual artists that hold influence.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It really isn't ever as serious as you guys all talk about. honestly in this day an age if you really stick by what you say you shouldn't be taking any artist at more than face value. they all change at one time or another when they get deep into the industry living off the fruits of their labor. don't be so naive as to think theres little more under the surface of any of your favorite artist who writes conscious lyrics. you don't know them, you're never around them, nor do you have conversations with these people therefore you don't have an inkling of what they're really about. you only know what you see in the media which to an extent isn't fully their own doing, and what you hear in the music. then again, like I said, its never that serious so why even bother praising or hating about it?

Stolen from KTT, but this shit is just.....lmfao
Q2ZSlkV.png

p6DeWJA.png

OpKsNvK.png

raLBwi9.png

uPReYwN.png

EgbCgvr.png

gWhXrZQ.png

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Well, if a large part of being an artist in this type of industry is image, is it unfair for someone to feel a disconnect when things reach a certain point in said artist's career?

For the record, I don't take any of these assholes seriously...especially not the ones speaking on social issues, and racial struggles in America. The concious dudes are just as bad, cause people tend to believe that, often times factually incorrect shit quicker than the ducktales.

edit: hahahaha @ her dragging that girl.

Detox

Thinking about it, part of the reason may stem from some of Kanye's ardent supporters they try and portray him as much more than the typical artist and sometimes they need to be brought back to reality. It's also because he does have that platform at the top of the game to do something, Immortal tech can rap about the social issues it's not like he is going to lose any favour with corporations anyway. While Kanye seems to be toeing the line, you have to feel a slight disconnect considering he went excessive down one way in WTT and CS and suddenly becomes diametrically opposed to it in the space of a year. I'm just rambling at this point but it just undermines his message, who knows once the album comes out he might become more active and show that he cares.

effzee

you been saying this since 2004?

No but I think I fail to see the point you are making.

I didn't say anything at all like this when he first started out because I didn't know much about him personally. At that time he just seemed like a really passionate musician who was fighting an up hill battle against the norms of rap. Applauded him for the stuff he did talk about set to the background of his amazing production. I was happy to see that he was showing other rappers that you can reach mainstream and sell while also rapping about other things besides generic "rap" topics.

There's no denying Kanye is an ass clown, but he was shit on more than he asked for. Interviewers asking him about about what his mom would think on live television being just as unprofessional as him and not getting any flak for it. There's a time and a place for everything but to have America as a whole hate you for stealing a little white girls 15 seconds on a stage, man that's some bullshit. People don't even hate bush as much as they hate Kanye. Ain't that shit ironic?

You are forgetting that the media was shitting on him before he interrupted Taylor Swift. And it had nothing to do with the media being evil and trying to corner him. He did it to himself. Acting like MTV awards mean anything. He would go on rants and throw tantrums like a baby and the media then responded with the harsh critiques, jokes, and inappropriate questions. Taylor Swift was the icing on the cake. He deserved all he got for that, not because of who she is though that figured into it, but because what grown man acts like that?

And regardless of what he says, he adores that attention. He needs it. It feeds into his ego and self worth. So he keeps it up. Because when you take all that away, all the media seeking attention whoring, all you are left with is the music. And while the production is always excellent his cookie cutter rhymes leave tons to desire for.

Its like he has the NYT or the Guardian on his twitter feed, reads only the headlines, thinks he is well read, and then constructs whole albums/image around that surface level knowledge.

Trey

Anybody here a fan of Absolut? What's your favorite flavor? Damn I need to find an Alcohol GAF in Off Topic.

Straight. Mix it with other alcohol and actual juice if you want flavors.

Of course if you're just drinking because fuck it, then that other stuff becomes useful. But at that point, why would you care?

Sounds like a slowed up Tougher Colder Killer. Yes.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I stopped believing rappers were anything more than image long ago. The vast majority of these rappers are full of shit. I had to just accept that fact or give up on rap, and giving up on hip hop is out of the question for me.

For the record, I don't take any of these assholes seriously...especially not the ones speaking on social issues, and racial struggles in America. The concious dudes are just as bad, cause people tend to believe that, often times factually incorrect shit quicker than the ducktales.

I find the political rappers are the most irritating in this regard. Apathy had a track on his last album with a line that makes me hit next track every time. I like apathy and the song is great for the most part, but everytime it gets to "vaccine shots give children autism" I want to kick him in his fucking head.

Kaizer

Banned
when the fuck did Mac Miller level up?

I don't feel he has, this new direction he's trying to take sounds more like the fratboy who wants to be "down" with the indie/cool kids. He hangs out with TDE, Odd Future, & Flying Lotus for a few months and now he wants to be in those circles. I haven't hated any of the songs I've heard so far, but he's definitely the least interesting part of them.

I saw Killer Mike at a festival and the dude is hype as fuck. &From what I remember, someone on here also said he stayed after the show to sign autographs and take pictures. That's a plus in my book so definitely go see him!

^What he said. Oh and when I saw Killer Mike he didn't have a live band, but that might be different on the Run The Jewels Tour, because El-P always has a live band as far as I know

Kanye himself has said that he makes music that he knows will illicit a response. How listeners will react to a certain part of a song. He just gives the people what they want to hear.

Thinking about it, part of the reason may stem from some of Kanye's ardent supporters they try and portray him as much more than the typical artist and sometimes they need to be brought back to reality. It's also because he does have that platform at the top of the game to do something, Immortal tech can rap about the social issues it's not like he is going to lose any favour with corporations anyway. While Kanye seems to be toeing the line, you have to feel a slight disconnect considering he went excessive down one way in WTT and CS and suddenly becomes diametrically opposed to it in the space of a year. I'm just rambling at this point but it just undermines his message, who knows once the album comes out he might become more active and show that he cares.

I think you have to adopt a level of cognitive dissonance between the art itself and the artist in order to not fuck yourself out of enjoying shit. People don't really have a problem with dudes saying that they move bricks and shoot up police stations which is in the same ballpark really. We're passed the Rick Ross drama and the folks that aren't are probably bumping dudes lying about the same shit except they choose to be more selective about their day jobs. Just keep it in your mind that they're expressing a position and not necessarily their position or, their just making shit up because it sounds good or, they're in a particular state of mind. Could be a lot of things. At the end of the day, it's up to you whether or not you can fuck with it.

Detox

I think you have to adopt a level of cognitive dissonance between the art itself and the artist in order to not fuck yourself out of enjoying shit. People don't really have a problem with dudes saying that they move bricks and shoot up police stations which is in the same ballpark really. We're passed the Rick Ross drama and the folks that aren't are probably bumping dudes lying about the same shit except they choose to be more selective about their day jobs. Just keep it in your mind that they're expressing a position and not necessarily their position or, their just making shit up because it sounds good or, they're in a particular state of mind. Could be a lot of things. At the end of the day, it's up to you whether or not you can fuck with it.
I treat that kind of stuff like a movie if that makes sense, those guys are going for a certain feel. I listen to Jeezy extensively and in his music the coke is ancillary to the core of his music: the grind, motivation or work ethic.

In the case of Yeezus it's different, the core is going against the complex created by the government and corporations and the exploitative nature of their activities. Kanye has actively supported their products and has glamorised the elite lifestyle some of these companies sell. It feels disingenuous and only effects my enjoyment of the music on a deeper level as a political stand that perhaps fans of say PE felt. It won't stop me from enjoying his work as pop music.

Kaizer

Banned
I only listen to detroit rap as I know there's some legitimacy with it. I hate liars, which is 99% of the industry.

Big Sean, father of such legitimate phrases like "ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS, ASS'

I'm so fucking hype for next week E3 on Monday, Kendrick and Black Hippy Concert Tuesday, Then midnight Friday Man of Steel then in the morning I'm picking up Last of Us. Shit might even try to see This is the End during the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom