• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Watching the Blaze/Guru part 2, and Keep It Real Wednesdays sounds like it should be done today via live stream, and it seems like a concept that's sort of done en masse with blogs today.

So what are the shackles you speak of? This shit to go against when he's pretty much already done it all, and they didn't flip their shit on him when he crashed an award show the first time? Or these label disadvantages that hurt a pop, larger than life artist that wouldn't hurt Miller should he be in the same position? The push is good for Ye. The dumb shit is good for Ye. Ye is in complete control.

Ye can go to Def Jam with his Shower Singing LP and Def Jam will trust that shit will sell, marketed or not.
Fuck corporations while the hook for one of the biggest songs off his last album is Lamborghini Mercy, pimps high fashion when he realised most people could rock Polo, gets a fashion designer to design his last two covers then suddenly goes barebones on his next album. Speak of the ills of money, power and elitism inherent in corporations while he embodies all those things along with selling cheap t-shirts for god knows how many thousands of percent more. Contradictions to this extent are not character flaws, if you want to believe in the charade then go ahead. Can he come out and be more candid? Yes, can he educate his fans in meaningful ways beyond the music and will people listen? Yes. Does he? No. This is the latest facade as he attempts to feed his narcissism.

I don't hate his music, I fucks with around 7-8 tracks off Cruel Summer and I will enjoy Yeezus. I just don't buy into this sudden transformation into Chuck D and justifying it as part of an underlying internal conflict.

Detox

DK can you expand on why Yeezy is allowed to be hypocritical? I can't fuck with that contradiction it's what sleazy politicians do all the time. Show me you believe in the shit you're talking about, don't just whine in an owl mask. Yeah there's a lot of shit: wars etc going on due to the military industrial complex but this isn't a movie Yeezy your pseudo army in vans broadcasting your 'propaganda' (music) isn't going to change anything except you know get people talking about you. You've been given the same platform KRS and PE had, use it. He's recognised the problems but what is he doing? Nothing, all talk no action which makes me think it's just about ego for him.

PBY

Banned
DK can you expand on why Yeezy is allowed to be hypocritical? I can't fuck with that contradiction it's what sleazy politicians do all the time. Show me you believe in the shit you're talking about, don't just whine in an owl mask. Yeah there's a lot of shit: wars etc going on due to the military industrial complex but this isn't a movie Yeezy your pseudo army in vans broadcasting your 'propaganda' (music) isn't going to change anything except you know get people talking about you. You've been given the same platform KRS and PE had, use it. He's recognised the problems but what is he doing? Nothing, all talk no action which makes me think it's just about ego for him.
Kane's always been a walking contradiction.

He's a musician not an activist. Why anyone feels that his music is somehow less worthwhile because he's not staging sit ins, wearing burlap sacks while living in a hut in the middle of nowhere I don't think I'll ever understand. He makes music that sounds good. I like it better that way.

You know what happens when rappers become more activist than musician? Lupe happens. And fuck that.

Detox

He's a musician not an activist. Why anyone feels that his music is somehow less worthwhile because he's not staging sit ins, wearing burlap sacks while living in a hut in the middle of nowhere I don't think I'll ever understand. He makes music that sounds good. I like it better that way.

You know what happens when rappers become more activist than musician? Lupe happens. And fuck that.
He makes music that sounds good and if that's all you want that's fine. Hiphop is born from that and also developed into other things that sought to speak to the urban youth. It's clear who does it just as music but Kanye purports to be much more and it makes you realise it's all style to fuel his pride, he doesn't have to do what I say but maybe he shouldn't try to be some sort of rebel in his music either. That paradox devalues his music in my eyes though it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.

DominoKid

First nigga w/ a benz and a backpack. From day 1 he told you he was about both sides of that shit. It isn't like he told you one thing, and then flipped to the other.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
ninjas still don't know what waggle means? I mean, its self explanatory. how do you not understand your own insults?

also, CRS, you gotdamn genius.

effzee

It's not that his music is any less entertaining, its just the image he projects of himself is completely contradictory to his actual life and actions. He can make music that sounds good, but don't try to sell me an image about the struggle and the white devil when you are all about the promotion, fame, awards, and whatever else typical rappers might be into but you pretend like you aren't.

Lupe's activism might have ruined his music to some, but at least he is about what he says.

He makes music that sounds good and if that's all you want that's fine. Hiphop is born from that and also developed into other things that sought to speak to the urban youth. It's clear who does it just as music but Kanye purports to be much more and it makes you realise it's all style to fuel his pride, he doesn't have to do what I say but maybe he shouldn't try to be some sort of rebel in his music either. That paradox devalues his music in my eyes though it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.

Kanye does and says whatever he thinks will make him more famous and get more attention. He has the sense to rap about subject matters which other rappers don't dare even try (and maybe its because he knows his production is so good most people will listen to it alone), but even then he isn't saying much. Just enough to make you think of him higher but when you delve deeper into it there is nothing there.

DominoKid

lol i fucks w/ Tyler as a personality. he reminds me of myself if i was famous as hell and tweeted every single thing that came to my mind.

Walshy

I've been activated on GAF a couple of days now so I thought I should try the initiation. Huge hip-hop fan and I've lurked this thread now and then for a couple of years.

Pick a coast to rep - West. Mainly because I have an affinity with it as my Dad used to be in a funk rock band, so you'd always get the likes of Parliment and Funkadelic playing around the house, so when I heard the whole G-Funk thing for the first time I loved it. Right now, I think the West is much more interesting. You have TDE but you also have a lot of vets dropping good albums (E-40 and Too Short's ablum was great) and underrated artists such as Nipsey Hussle. Plus you have the whole OF and Brainfeeder movements.

Favorite Artist - Depends on my mood. It's probably a toss up between Kanye, Wu-Tang, Biggie and DOOM.

Best feature killer - In the past couple of years? Danny Brown without question. Nas is probably the best of all time though.

Favorite album - Ridin Dirty by UGK or Liquid Swords by GZA.

What's in your playlist? - Recently? A toss up of the new and old shit. Deltron 3030, Pluto, Kismet and Mista Thug Isolation

Rank Kanye's albums: LR > MBDTF > Grad > CD > 808s > WTT

Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Ghostface.
Optional: Raekwon vs. Ghostface: Ghostface. He made OB4CL what it was.

Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? Nope. It Was Written is criminally underrated and Life is Good Was okay aswell. Plus the lost tapes and a few tracks of his other albums have been alright. Untitled was horrible though.

Did you think Nas' next album was good? Or is Nas old and dusted with a horrible ear for production? It was good, a solid 7/10 for me. I feel it had alot a fair share of filler though such as Summer on Smash.

Who won? Jay-Z or Nas? Nas won the battle, Jay-Z won the war and life.

Pick a side in the Notorious B.I.G. and 2Pac discussion - Biggie. Got love for both their music though.

Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? - Both. When you see immiators like Yung Berg on the Youtube you have to question society.

Pick your favorite era of Eminem's music career - SSLP era, is there any other alternative?

It's clear who does it just as music but Kanye purports to be much more and it makes you realise it's all style to fuel his pride, he doesn't have to do what I say but maybe he shouldn't try to be some sort of rebel in his music either. That paradox devalues his music in my eyes though it doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.

It's not that his music is any less entertaining, its just the image he projects of himself is completely contradictory to his actual life and actions. He can make music that sounds good, but don't try to sell me an image about the struggle and the white devil when you are all about the promotion, fame, awards, and whatever else typical rappers might be into but you pretend like you aren't.

Lupe's activism might have ruined his music to some, but at least he is about what he says.

Where has he presented this image that you guys are talking about? I've only seen it in his music.. which is again.. music. Has he done some press or something that I haven't seen where he decries rich people living lavishly? Or is it just lyrics in some of his music?

And if it is just lyrics in his music.. what makes that any different from Thug Rapper #98 talking about the bricks he doesn't actually flip and the guns he doesn't actually own?

And honestly.. it doesn't make one difference if Lupe is about what he says. Life is full of people that are about what they say. He's not accomplishing anything with what he's saying AND now his music is awful so it's a lose/lose from my perspective.

Tokubetsu

lol i fucks w/ Tyler as a personality. he reminds me of myself if i was famous as hell and tweeted every single thing that came to my mind.

Check yourself.

I've been activated on GAF a couple of days now so I thought I should try the initiation. Huge hip-hop fan and I've lurked this thread now and then for a couple of years.

Pick a coast to rep - West. Mainly because I have an affinity with it as my Dad used to be in a funk rock band, so you'd always get the likes of Parliment and Funkadelic playing around the house, so when I heard the whole G-Funk thing for the first time I loved it. Right now, I think the West is much more interesting. You have TDE but you also have a lot of vets dropping good albums (E-40 and Too Short's ablum was great) and underrated artists such as Nipsey Hussle. Plus you have the whole OF and Brainfeeder movements.

Favorite Artist - Depends on my mood. It's probably a toss up between Kanye, Wu-Tang, Biggie and DOOM.

Best feature killer - In the past couple of years? Danny Brown without question. Nas is probably the best of all time though.

What's in your playlist? - Recently? A toss up of the new and old shit. Deltron 3030, Pluto, Kismet and Mista Thug Isolation

Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? Nope. It Was Written is criminally underrated and Life is Good Was okay aswell. Plus the lost tapes and a few tracks of his other albums have been alright. Untitled was horrible though.

Did you think Nas' next album was good? Or is Nas old and dusted with a horrible ear for production? It was good, a solid 7/10 for me. I feel it had alot a fair share of filler though such as Summer on Smash.

Pick a side in the Notorious B.I.G. and 2Pac discussion - Biggie. Got love for both their music though.

Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? - Both. When you see immiators like Yung Berg on the Youtube you have to question society.

Pick your favorite era of Eminem's music career - SSLP era, is there any other alternative?

Welcome to the family. Stay blessed. Go kiss Ace's ring.

cacophony

illmindbeatsforkw-600x600.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/illmind/sets/b-f-k-w-llmind-beats-for-kanye

!llmind's Beats for Kanye

“Kanye West is undoubtedly one of the most exciting producer/artists to emerge in the last decade. His music is one of the few I can safely say I whole-heartedly admire (next to the late great J. Dilla). I had the pleasure of producing “The Morning” off of 2012′s highly anticipated “Kanye West Presents: G.O.O.D. Music Cruel Summer” LP. During the creation of that song, and between the months of July 2012 – March 2013, I created a handful of tracks with Kanye West in mind. This is a collection of some of that music. It features collaborations and co-production from my long time friend Symbolyc One (Produced Kanye West’s “Power”, “Murder 2 Excellence” on Watch The Throne & part of Kanye’s “Very G.O.O.D. Beats” entity), Dr. Know Jr., M31RK, Hippie Sabotage, Kailiin Yong & The Frontrunnerz. I had so much fun creating this stuff, and I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do.”

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
illmindbeatsforkw-600x600.jpg

“Kanye West is undoubtedly one of the most exciting producer/artists to emerge in the last decade. His music is one of the few I can safely say I whole-heartedly admire (next to the late great J. Dilla). I had the pleasure of producing “The Morning” off of 2012′s highly anticipated “Kanye West Presents: G.O.O.D. Music Cruel Summer” LP. During the creation of that song, and between the months of July 2012 – March 2013, I created a handful of tracks with Kanye West in mind. This is a collection of some of that music. It features collaborations and co-production from my long time friend Symbolyc One (Produced Kanye West’s “Power”, “Murder 2 Excellence” on Watch The Throne & part of Kanye’s “Very G.O.O.D. Beats” entity), Dr. Know Jr., M31RK, Hippie Sabotage, Kailiin Yong & The Frontrunnerz. I had so much fun creating this stuff, and I hope you enjoy it just as much as I do.”

Download link http://illmind.biz/

goodfella

http://www.freeonsmash.com/files/2013/06/illmindbeatsforkw-600x600.jpg

Nice, thanks. /lurk

IrishNinja

yeah, congrats CRS, that's gotta be awesome to see people playing your shit, man.

also, welcome new dude and while i appreciate detox's argument, i don't think anyone buys that Ye is the new Chuck D, though if i had to guess, he'd prolly argue (from dom's ninja with a benz & a backpack line) that he's the Chuck for this era: good production, but like effzee said (nailed it) it's a hint of depth on the surface. he doesn't want to be PE or KRS; in an era of vapid pop/EDM crossover shit, ye's antics are pretty much where that level is right now, for better or worse

effzee

Where has he presented this image that you guys are talking about? I've only seen it in his music.. which is again.. music. Has he done some press or something that I haven't seen where he decries rich people living lavishly? Or is it just lyrics in some of his music?

And if it is just lyrics in his music.. what makes that any different from Thug Rapper #98 talking about the bricks he doesn't actually flip and the guns he doesn't actually own?

And honestly.. it doesn't make one difference if Lupe is about what he says. Life is full of people that are about what they say. He's not accomplishing anything with what he's saying AND now his music is awful so it's a lose/lose from my perspective.

Because when any generic rapper talks about bricks, guns, or hoes that's all that it is. Kanye puts out this air of superiority like he is above it all. That somehow he understands the ills of society, racism, the problems plaguing the black community, and whatever else he thinks fans who like backpack rap WANT TO HEAR. Would be like how you could spot a fake thug rapper trying really hard to be gangsta.

But even then you would be pleasantly surprised I guess if you found out that some generic content rapper turned out to be helping the community or doing something bigger and better outside of music. With Kanye its the opposite. Talks about it but is nothing about it. Maybe you and some can separate the lyrics from his actions enough to not care, but personally his lyrics leave so much to desire that its hard to ignore all the non music BS.

How do you determine Lupe is not accomplishing anything? He mostly lives his life the way he talks about it in his songs. Its not about necessarily accomplishing anything its about what you say in your songs completely being different than what you are. Lupe doesn't rap about the struggles of the poor, the wars, or say black women and then turn around knock up Kim K, get fake mad at paparazzi, and while also begging like a bitch to win an award.

Kayne considers himself to be far more important than he is. He projects such a large image of importance that when you actually listen to his music and words you are left wanting more.

I still enjoy his music, but mainly only the production. Or the guest spots.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Because when any generic rapper talks about bricks, guns, or hoes that's all that it is. Kanye puts out this air of superiority like he is above it all. That somehow he understands the ills of society, racism, the problems plaguing the black community, and whatever else he thinks fans who like backpack rap WANT TO HEAR. Would be like how you could spot a fake thug rapper trying really hard to be gangsta.

But even then you would be pleasantly surprised I guess if you found out that some generic content rapper turned out to be helping the community or doing something bigger and better outside of music. With Kanye its the opposite. Talks about it but is nothing about it. Maybe you and some can separate the lyrics from his actions enough to not care, but personally his lyrics leave so much to desire that its hard to ignore all the non music BS.

How do you determine Lupe is not accomplishing anything? He mostly lives his life the way he talks about it in his songs. Its not about necessarily accomplishing anything its about what you say in your songs completely being different than what you are. Lupe doesn't rap about the struggles of the poor, the wars, or say black women and then turn around knock up Kim K, get fake mad at paparazzi, and while also begging like a bitch to win an award.

Kayne considers himself to be far more important than he is. He projects such a large image of importance that when you actually listen to his music and words you are left wanting more.

you been saying this since 2004?

I guess I just don't get that vibe that you get. I see Kanye as a man who likes what he likes and that's it. I also don't hold anyone, let alone someone famous such to high standards. He's still a human being subject to flaws and mistakes. I don't see a problem with Kanye talking about Black Women and eventually dating a woman who isn't black. Just means he fell for someone who happened not to be black.

My point with Lupe is that a man setting a standard for himself and living up to it isn't special. And since he's not actively accomplishing change I don't see that as a reason to respect him anymore than anyone else. On the flipside though his music has gotten worse so I actively dislike that.

Tokubetsu

lol.

Witnessed a full on race war outside my house today while I was working on my car. Bunch of Romanian gypsies live at the top of my street. Like 20-30 Irish wannabe tough guys went up to start some shit, shouting all types of racist shit, smashing windows, all that jazz. Pussies.

They lost that confidence quick when they gypsies went blazing down the street trying to run em all over in a benz. Then like 20 Romanians pulled up and jumped out of a van with bats and pipes and shit. People started getting smacked up pretty bad just as the cops came. Shit was nuts. Im standing in front of my house just chilled smoking a cigarette watching all this shit unfold.

Just another day in paradise.

RJT

Your only wrong opinion is the College Dropout rank. Better than most.

Tokubetsu

Witnessed a full on race war outside my house today while I was working on my car. Bunch of Romanian gypsies live at the top of my street. Like 20-30 Irish wannabe tough guys went up to start some shit, shouting all types of racist shit, smashing windows, all that jazz. Pussies.

They lost that confidence quick when they gypsies went blazing down the street trying to run em all over in a benz. Then like 20 Romanians pulled up and jumped out of a van with bats and pipes and shit. People started getting smacked up pretty bad just as the cops came. Shit was nuts. Im standing in front of my house just chilled smoking a cigarette watching all this shit unfold.

Just another day in paradise.

It's not a paradise if you live there.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Err...Yeezy might have rapped about the shit when CD came out, but he wasn't anywhere near as talkative and whiny as he is now. If he wasn't, Jay-Z never would have had to tell him to shut the hell up outside of the studio. His narrative has changed for the worst as of recent.

Meh, he knows how to work PR and has been trying to spin things into making him look like he was getting bullied by white America since he fucked with Taylor. If people buy into his story (and I'm sure some will), that's on them. I don't particularly care. I listen to Rick Ross and watch movies made by Roman the rapist.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
There's no denying Kanye is an ass clown, but he was shit on more than he asked for. Interviewers asking him about about what his mom would think on live television being just as unprofessional as him and not getting any flak for it. There's a time and a place for everything but to have America as a whole hate you for stealing a little white girls 15 seconds on a stage, man that's some bullshit. People don't even hate bush as much as they hate Kanye. Ain't that shit ironic?

CRS

There's no denying Kanye is an ass clown, but he was shit on more than he asked for. Interviewers asking him about about what his mom would think on live television being just as unprofessional as him and not getting any flak for it. There's a time and a place for everything but to have America as a whole hate you for stealing a little white girls 15 seconds on a stage, man that's some bullshit. People don't even hate bush as much as they hate Kanye. Ain't that shit ironic?

This is some fuckery. Who and when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom