• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't noticed this.

It happens lol. Of course those artist he named have some timeless singles that everyone knows, but the modern rap fans won't actually go and listen to his album is what he's saying i'm sure.

I remember a few years ago, a friend was just asking to give him some random albums. One of them was Big L first album. I think he listened to it for like 20 mins then complained about how old it sounded haha. I don't know if he actually thought though and didn't just say Big L sucks, because he is some hardcore westcoast dude that thinks Biggie is garbage

HiResDes

What's wrong with that. I love Rakim, but some of his stuff sounds dated, though if you have a good system the bass and drum hits are still nice.

I haven't noticed this.

Eh. There isn't a "retro" movement when it comes to most rap fans. We're the exception to the rule, as we listen to everything. But most Drake, Cole, Kendrick, etc fans are just people who were 50 Cent fans when they were 13 years old, and have moved on every year to the next thing. And in a couple years they'll be fans of someone else.

Esch

Banned
who cares if these sounds get mainstreamed? shit is dope.

its all part of the cycle. as for hip hop being internally disposable that's how every genre is. Not every metal fan who likes Morbid Angel is a Sabbath fan. not every jazz fan who likes Sun Ra fucks with Joe Oliver type old shit. and it doesn't have to be that way.

smh

its all part of the cycle. as for hip hop being internally disposable that's how every genre is. Not every metal fan who likes Morbid Angel is a Sabbath fan. not every jazz fan who likes Sun Ra fucks with Joe Oliver type old shit. and it doesn't have to be that way.

smh

who you preachin to bro?

Recon

Banned
I don't know what to think about Yeezus. There are some brilliant songs, but then there are some boring repetitive songs. I do love this direction, and more auto tune Yeezy is always welcome. The album reminds me of a more raw version of 808s, but with more rapping.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I don't know what to think about Yeezus. There are some brilliant songs, but then there are some boring repetitive songs. I do love this direction, and more auto tune Yeezy is always welcome. The album reminds me of a more raw version of 808s, but with more rapping.
I'd say is grad and 808s baby.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would think people that like this would love Cancer 4 Cure
Nah, El-P isn't married to the production as well as Ye is. Cancer 4 Cure is the poster child for dissonant production. Often the beat just overpowers him and he just gets drowned out throughout the song and it just makes everything so much less impressive. The entire project is mediocre despite his great skill as a wordsmith.

smh

Breh you gonna say that metal and JAZZ are as disposable as hip hop amongst fans? C'mon...most metal listen to old shit, same applies double to jazz fans (we're not talking about smooth jazz fans btw).

I'm not shitting on Kanye, I'm commending him. I could never hate on a civil rights leader. He's doing great things for - nm don't want to get banned.

Esch

Banned
I'm not saying its as disposable. hip hop is a popular genre. I'm just saying that its nothing new or alarming. I wish more artists jacked hard hitting el p style beats. then I wouldn't have to listen to any limp wrist junior kindergarten tambourine j Cole shit when I go out.

Personally I find it alarming because it's the only major genre where "legends" can't tour or get radio play. There are no "classic rap" radio stations outside of premium radio. I rarely listen to the radio, but I can turn it on right now and not hear a song that came out before 2005.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yeah, I don't understand the whole 90's hip hop look is a bad look now?

GKMC's roots are straight 90s hip-hop with a contemporary vibe and that happens to be arguably the best hip-hop albums in a while.

/REALHIPPITYHOPPITYPOPPITYZIMBAPDOPPITY

Esch

Banned
ehhh the big rap radio station here has classic hours and shit a couple times a week. but rap is a young mans game. since it was so youth oriented a lot of people feel they outgrow it (understandable its hard to identify with Mobb Deep in your 40s lol).

it'll be interesting to see the guys like Jay and Nas get older. I believe theyll be able to put on shows as they get older.

This is what I'm talking about btw
soulsofmischiefflyer.jpg

6/18 Omaha, NE @ Waiting Room
6/19 Madison, WI @ Majestic Live
6/20 Minneapolis, MN @ Triple Rock
6/21 Chicago, IL @ Bottom Lounge
6/22 Rock Island, IL @ The Rock Island Brewing Co.
6/23 Cleveland, OH @ Grog Shop
6/24 Columbus, OH @ The Basement
6/25 Grand Rapids, MI @ The Stache
6/27 Philadelphia, PA @ Underground Arts
6/28 Patucket, RI @ The Met
6/29 Edgartown, MA @ Flatbread Company
6/30 Allston, MA @ Brighton Music Hall
7/3 New York, NY @ SOBs
7/5 Burlington, VT @ Higher Ground
7/9 Baltimore, MD @ Sound Stage
7/11 Washington, DC @ Rock & Roll Hotel
7/12 Virginia Beach, VA @Jewish Mother
7/13 Raleigh, NC @The Pour House Music Hall
7/14 Asheville, NC @ Orange Peel
7/15 Nashville, TN @ Exit/In
7/17 Winston Salem, NC @ Ziggys
7/18 Atlanta, GA @ Terminal West
7/19 Charleston, SC @ The Pour House
7/20 Jacksonville, FL @ Jack Rabbits
7/25 St. Petersburg, FL @ State Theatre
7/26 Orlando, FL @ The Social
7/27 Pensacola, FL @ Vinyl Music Hall
7/28 Baton Rouge, LA @ Spanish Moon
7/30 Oxford, MS @ Proud Larry's
7/31 New Orleans, LA @ Hi Ho Lounge
8/1 Houston, TX @ Fitzgerald's
8/2 Austin, TX @ Red 7
8/3 Dallas, TX @ Trees
8/4 El Paso, TX @ Tricky Falls
8/6 Grand Junction, CO @ Mesa Theater
8/7 Aspen, CO @ Belly Up
8/8 Fort Collins, CO @ Hodi's Half Note
8/9 Denver, CO @ Casselman's
8/10 Durango, CO @ Animas City Theatre
8/12 Alburqurque, NM @ Sister Bar
8/13 Flagstaff, AZ @ Green Room
8/14 Phoenix, AZ @ Club Red
8/15 Solana Beach, CA @ Belly Up Tavern
8/16 Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey Theatre
8/22 Vancouver, BC @ Venue Night Club
8/23 Seattle, WA @ Crocodile Cafe
8/24 - 8/25 Eugene, OR @ Kaleidoscope Festival

So yeah, I think you need to give Hip-Hop time man

kamspy

C4C is way too wordy to compare. Great concept, very good execution but slightly flawed. A little brevity in the lyrics could have made it a classic. Really was on the cusp. Cut the number of words in half.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, local radio station does "Old School Lunch" from 12-1. Of course, it's mostly just hit singles from those years, but it's still old stuff.

Esch

Banned
C4C is way too wordy to compare. Great concept, very good execution but slightly flawed. A little brevity in the lyrics could have made it a classic. Really was on the cusp. Cut the number of words in half.
C4C was just a lil too front loaded and had a little too much El on the mic proportionally . I expect RTJ to remedy both.

Detox

I keep it 300 like the Romans

This shit got energy, I like it. Damn, I have to see if the energy can carry it to 5 stars because the lyrics don't sound like they are there.

DominoKid

the reaction to this album by straight hip hop heads on the coli is hilarious

Its the same on OKP too. Folks too stuck in their tastes. Yeezy gave them Bound on some "yeah i can do this in my sleep" shit. Im glad he doesnt make a whole album like that though. That aint what I want from him.

kamspy

I just shot the best round of mini golf in my life. 45. I really think the adrenaline from Yeezus did it. If it weren't for a giant metal hippo I would have had par or better on every hole. It was the game of a fucking lifetime.

I gotta be honest going through the album then hearing Bound at the end. I truthfully don't want Old Kanye back at all. Cool song, but my least favorite

The new Prodigy...eh. So many great beats, and P rhymes decent on a few, but others it sounds like some dude who can't rap and is trying to read rhymes off an iPhone. I listen to something from Hell On Earth nearly daily, so I can't really fux with the new struggle version of Prodigy.

Should have given those beats to the reincarnation of 96 Prodigy: Roc Marciano.

The new Prodigy...eh. So many great beats, and P rhymes decent on a few, but others it sounds like some dude who can't rap and is trying to read rhymes off an iPhone. I listen to something from Hell On Earth nearly daily, so I can't really fux with the new struggle version of Prodigy.

Roc Marciano and Alchemist project is in the making tho

HiResDes

If given the choice, yeah, I'd Marciano on these beats. Maybe even Mayhem Lauren.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom