• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either one is milestone status, doesn't matter which one you pick.

Damn i know i'm gonna speed to this album. Especially the c-murder joint.

this dude must have been reading all my posts bagging on him and decided to stunt on me, Kanye reads GAF HOP confirmed.

I was just fucking with you lol cause you know how I feel about Half LIfe 2

Cudder

Y'all are bugging if you think Mac's album comes within sniffing distance of this album's poop tbh. Mac Miller's album has some good beats, is competent, but is filled with mediocre rapping. This shit is actually moving the game forward. Kanye pretty much let his 2nd rate rapping take the backseat on most of this ish and just went full on with the production.

Motherfuckers comparing Call of Duty to Half Life right now.

havent listened to Yeezus yet but I agree with this.

I've tried listening to all of Mac Miller's album 3-4 times now and each time I only get to halfway or 3/4 through it before I either doze off or shut it off. His sleep inducing raps/voice can't carry a 19 track album, no matter how good the production is (its pretty good for the most part). His voice is just so...soft, no energy in any of the tracks coming from him.

Grzi

Just finished it.

iw0qGaMjDc8t4.gif

I have to say, I think Kanye may have just constructed his best album yet. I usually bag on his music for being sonically and ideologically incoherent, but on this he really took it to a different level. He took the best part of his work since Graduation and synthesized it with sounds of the underground and mainstream. Not just in rap too. There are some moments on here that remind me of my favorite death metal albums from high school. This keys section on hold my liquor had me catching literal feels, reminded me of Windows from The Red in the Sky is Ours. I think Kanye really transcended rap with this album. My favorite track from MBTDF is Lost in the World, and I love that the lighter sections on this album evoke that otherworldly, ethereal symphonic feel that you would hear from some shit like Solar Fields or other ambient. The industrial sections are also pretty well done. To be honest, this album is sonically speaking right up my alley in every possible way. HE EVEN REMADE A C MURDER SONG. It's like he was listening to all my favorite classic electronic and metal music and synthesized it with his own music and the underground rap stuff pushing shit forward like TNGHT Death Grips, Shabazz, Killer Mike and El-P. The best part is he actually managed to compose songs with gradual compositional changes, natural evolution instead of the sophomoric, immature transitionless beat changes on all his post 808s work. This album is to me, a bonafide classic, the best Kanye album. And people are going to hate it.

5 mics.

Not sure about being his best album, but I agree with this.

Esch

Banned
Kanye is basically the Tarantino of rap. Not really original in any way, but he synthesizes things from a ton of different sources and puts his own personality on it so well that you can't help but love it.

god damn this album curbstomps mbtdbbq

codhand

i think reviewers will like this album too,

but fans expecting something like the first six tracks of mbtbdsbafgfd, might be disappointed

pusha did not make the cut, luckily justin vernon is on here three times lol

KingKong

Kanye is basically the Tarantino of rap. Not really original in any way, but he synthesizes things from a ton of different sources and puts his own personality on it so well that you can't help but love it.

and just like Tarantino his old stuff is more enjoyable

Esch

Banned
Yeaaaaa pretty much the only thing this year that can touch this for me is Run the Jewels and maybe not. This might win over that just because it has a little more diversity of sound/feels. I expect Old to be good but not a game changer.

This shit is just great, I don't even care bout ranking it, but man the spots it is hitting for me. Haven't even gave it a chance in the whip either yet

the reaction to this album by straight hip hop heads on the coli is hilarious

I wish I could see my homie's face who listens only to trap music listen to this for the first time. He'll probably be like man this is some bullshit you are playin lmfao

Or at least til New Slaves or Blood on the leaves maybe comes on

Esch

Banned
imma be real with you guys i havent internalized a single lyric from this album because im dissecting the production in my brain. fuck a punchline.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Blood on the leaves is about to be in everyone's DJ rotation.

Beat goes to hard, it has that nina simone sample, kanye calling out basic bitches and instagram attention whores. It's over.

I wonder how much this album will change things. Will we see more people try out new sounds?

You mean in the mainstream. Because everything I've read about this album sounds like another case of Kanye mining the underground, giving it some polish, and getting credit for "creating" a sound.

Same shit he did with soul loops. People still act like him and Just Blaze popularized that shit, as if RZA/Wu Tang Forever doesn't exist.

Esch

Banned
You mean in the mainstream. Because everything I've read about this album sounds like another case of Kanye mining the underground, giving it some polish, and getting credit for "creating" a sound.

Same shit he did with soul loops. People still act like him and Just Blaze popularized that shit, as if RZA/Wu Tang Forever doesn't exist.

In many ways though this is one of the defining characteristics of hip hop music as a genre. Without other forms of music hip hop doesn't really exist at all, so i especially don't have a problem with it. The point is that it's engaging, powerful, and ambitious in how intense it is. The underground is the church and Kanye just did some missionary work. Maybe that's what he's best at truly, if you look at his career.

Jitters

Not that much. People are gonna recoil from this shit mostly. And the Underground already had these sounds.

Yeah, I mean on the radio and in the mainstream. This is the biggest release to do something like this.

In many ways though this is one of the defining characteristics of hip hop music as a genre. Without other forms of music hip hop doesn't really exist at all, so i especially don't have a problem with it. The point is that it's engaging, powerful, and ambitious in how intense it is. The underground is the church and Kanye just did some missionary work. Maybe that's what he's best at truly, if you look at his career.
Exactly.

Black Skinhead makes me wanna get violent.

dude i used this app hailo to get a cab and they said they would refund me $10 and i still dont have it yet

at first i was like whatever its just lunch money but black skinheads is kinda making me want to get up in arms, kick their office doors down and get it back myself

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
If he makes another album, I hope he puts his ghostwriters to better use. His minimalism is showing off how weak he is lyrically.

Is that Keef on Send It Up? I don't understand how anyone can hate that track.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
TNGHT was already a popular act but I expect their work on this album to make them a ridiculously hot commodity.

codhand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom