• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't believe how much people are really feeling this. The lyrics are so astoundingly bad, dude is basically a parody of himself.

R.I.P to old school hip hop heads?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
TKlHF10.png

Edit: beaten

Esch

Banned
This isn't hip-hop, plain and simple. No matter if you love this or hate it, it's just not
I mean really, who cares? Does Kanye have to make purely hip hop music? Does him releasing this album mean there wont be a jillion other analogues of the boom bap or w/e you like out there?

Cmon son.

So hip hop albums cant be concept albums?

dwill.png

True, anything can be but there's no specific category to solidify what this is. It's its own thing. There's no label and that's fine, love it, hate it, whatever. But ranking it with other hip-hop albums on the basis that its Kanye West? Yeah, no.

Esch

Banned
True, anything can be but there's no specific category to solidify what this is. It's its own thing. There's no label and that's fine, love it, hate it, whatever. But ranking it with other hip-hop albums on the basis that its Kanye West? Yeah, no.

Tier listing is for fun and street fighter neckbeards who gives a shit lol

I got to go and listen to this but the statements like ^this here are making me an unbeliever already.....

Yeah, I don't understand the whole 90's hip hop look is a bad look now?

GKMC's roots are straight 90s hip-hop with a contemporary vibe and that happens to be arguably the best hip-hop albums in a while.

Trey

This album mauls in the ride. I recant my earlier statement.

And I'm glad to see TNGHT being mentioned - means my ears aren't total shit. Thought I heard them.

Cudder

Alright I'm done with it for today after four listens, lol. Going back to Bones and Nacho Picasso.

Man, discovering Bones and having 6 albums of his to listen to all at once is dangerous, don't wanna burn out on his deep voiced laid back weed rap, nomsayin? still enjoying his shit immensely.

cdyhybrid

GKMC's roots are straight 90s hip-hop with a contemporary vibe and that happens to be arguably the best hip-hop albums in a while.

I always took "stuck in the 90's" to mean (to me anyway) that experimentation or going outside the traditional boundaries of "hip-hop" is being frowned upon.

You're right, Yeezus is more of a Rap album.

I actually wouldn't agree with that at all. I find it more in common with albums released in 00s

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I got to listen to it,so I am not talking about Yeezus specifically. However, in general when kanye gets on his weird tip (cause he does do his share of good music) kanye musical choice is the epitomy of Jay's line

Cause a dude wear a kufi, it don’t mean that he bright
'Cause you don’t understand him, it don’t mean that he nice
It just means you don’t understand all the bullshit that he write"

TKlHF10.png

Edit: beaten

Ultimately I think this is a good thing, and a good point. But I think the unfortunate thing is that historically hip hop has been quite a disposable art form. Every other genre of music has multiple legends who can still make a living off their music today because it's passed from parent (or uncle/granddad/etc) to child. Taylor Swift can do a live performance with Stevie Nicks and cause thousands of 12 year old kids to discover Fleetwood Mac. Meanwhile rap fans today dismiss Run DMC, Whodini, etc as sounding dated or being old. Shit is pathetic.

This applies to the mainstream/underground rift too, although it's less severe. Most kids who listen to this album aren't going to say "wow, I need to find more stuff like this!" Instead this is what's going to happen, IF the album is a big success: some sound from the album will be further mainstream'd by the Camel, others will follow suit, and will have another BMF situation where everyone is doing the same thing again. Meanwhile El-p, Flying Lotus, and others will be left out of the circle of success.

Jitters

Ultimately I think this is a good thing, and a good point. But I think the unfortunate thing is that historically hip hop has been quite a disposable art form. Every other genre of music has multiple legends who can still make a living off their music today because it's passed from parent (or uncle/granddad/etc) to child. Taylor Swift can do a live performance with Stevie Nicks and cause thousands of 12 year old kids to discover Fleetwood Mac. Meanwhile rap fans today dismiss Run DMC, Whodini, etc as sounding dated or being old. Shit is pathetic.

I haven't noticed this.

HiResDes

Also after seeing Death Grips live I think I was wrong on the debate of whether or not his music should be considered hip-hop...Ultimately I just don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom