• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Jay is tweeting

If 1 Million records gets SOLD and billboard doesnt report it, did it happen? Ha. #newrules #magnacartaholygrail Platinum!!! VII IV XIII
https://twitter.com/S_C_/status/346682205168357377

Kanye West "lead single" projected on buildings worldwide #newrules #magnacartaholygrail
https://twitter.com/S_C_/status/346682507724468226
J Cole app for listening session. Don't talk just listen..#newrules
https://twitter.com/S_C_/status/346683173737988096
Wale up next week #newrules
https://twitter.com/S_C_/status/346683423051612160

Esch

Banned
The RZA needs to stay away from drugs

dahell2.png

DominoKid

i guess Wale doesn't get a special promo lol.

it's weird to me that Yeezus gets included in the #newrules considering the strategy for it is the complete opposite of MCHG.
i can't shake seeing MCHG as the biggest sellout move ever. and i'm not sure that it's a bad thing either. it's definitely different. i mean, if you sell a million records to a company to use as an advertisement, did it really happen?

I'm like you, I generally like Jay and Nas about equally. They have an equal number of albums i enjoy more or less, though Jay definitely has more AAA+ songs. I switch up my side/trolling depending on where I am. If it's real life where nobody gives a fuck about Nas, i'll defend the albums that people think are shitty or irrelevant like IWW and Stillmatic, because they're good and most people are ignorant.. If it's on the internet, i'll take Jay's side because Nausir stans are some of the strangest people on the planet. You've got guys saying that Jay sold out and sold his soul and then backing Eminem's new pop shit. Straight guys talking about "how handsome Nas is for his age". Bunch of weird, bitter hypocrites. I find it funny they still have the hots for camel even though him and Jay have clearly buried the hatchet.

Fast Six, i dont know why its getting so much hate ITT.

It has the Rock fighting the guy from the I Am Disappoint meme, what else do you need
?

IWW has been considered classic for some time, it got 4.5 mics in the Source, etc. And since when is Stillmatic viewed poorly? It's one of the great comeback albums, and was hailed a classic when it came out (even though I don't view it as one).

I'm a hardcore Nas fan. Personally I think Life Is Good proved that he has far more potential than Jay-Z right now, who is solely focused on making safe "event" music. The problem with Nas is that he's a god damn idiot outside of writing. EVERY dope producer wants to work with him. Multiple producers have saved amazing shit for YEARS waiting for that "Nas call" as 9th Wonder labeled it. But it never comes because he'd rather focus on the same guy.

Granted LiG featured No ID and Justice League, but it also featured some questionable beat selection. Reach Out comes to mind; it's not a bad song, just super dated and feels like a bonus track. Meanwhile the actual bonus tracks on the album were better than multiple tracks on the album! Why isn't Roses on the album instead of Wouldn't Understand. What about the Cocain80s track instead of Summer On Smash. What about TRUST instead of World's An Addiction (even though the last verse on that track is shockingly amazing).

Esch

Banned
Remember people saying Ye was just biting Jay in the Kanye hate thread?

A lot of people forgot that the original concept for the Black Album was 12 songs 12 producers no promo dropped on Black Friday. Def Jam cockblocked that shit.

Ye bit Jay
troll.png

edit: I can't get over that RZA video. Him playing with that shelf, looking at it like its the first shelf he's ever seen in his life. Old rappers on LSD, thats a strange sight.
CsL1W.png

cdyhybrid

A lot of people forgot that the original concept for the Black Album was 12 songs 12 producers no promo dropped on Black Friday. Def Jam cockblocked that shit.

Ye bit Jay
troll.png

That's true. My point was that it's silly to speak in absolutes, biting goes on everywhere. I could have been a little more clear, my post was pretty vague.

codhand

edit: I can't get over that RZA video. Him playing with that shelf, looking at it like its the first shelf he's ever seen in his life. Old rappers on LSD, thats a strange sight.
CsL1W.png

def embarassing to have mm acting like your big brother sponsor

you can see that trepidation on method man's part, he wants to play it cool so he doesnt set rza off on some lsd yelling spree, we all have that friend,

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
think its bout time for that RATM reunion. i dont care if Zach is crazy. i need that shit. STAT!

The problem isn't that Zach is crazy, it's that Zach is an asshole, but don't write off Tom either from being an asshole.

Besides don't you like and enjoy Nightwatchman*?

*no enjoys nightwatchman

caesar

Banned
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/17/kanye-west-yeezus-review

the comments on this review:

I'm a Kanye West fan but this is possibly the worst album I have ever heard in my life. Absolutely shockingly bad.
My advise: skip it and listen to 1999 by Joey Badass.

You know what I find weird? Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't New Slaves (Or one of the other tracks) moan alot about white people? What I find weird is that white people will buy it and listen with a smile on their face, I just find it odd.

Not all of us. There are a few who can see though the bullshit and see it for what it really is..a blatant rip-off of Saul williams.
It's what megastars do when they lose their hunger and run out of ideas..
..they steal

I lasted 20 minutes into this Kanye product, and then had to turn it off. This man is a shame on great hiphop legends and a disgrace to the genre....Just watch any Jay-Z show, like that one in the garden in NYC, and compare that to real talent like LL Cool J, or Wu Tang. There is an ocean of difference.

lawwwwd

thabiz

The problem isn't that Zach is crazy, it's that Zach is an asshole, but don't write off Tom either from being an asshole.

Besides don't you like and enjoy Nightwatchman*?

*no enjoys nightwatchman

i met tom after a club show in 99. unbelievably nice.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i met tom after a club show in 99. unbelievably nice.

to his fans maybe, but Zach and Tom are notorious for not getting along when it comes to the life of RATM which sucks because that's all I want. I'd trade back that 6 track One Day As A Lion EP for a new RATM single.

Tokubetsu

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/17/kanye-west-yeezus-review

the comments on this review:

I'm a Kanye West fan but this is possibly the worst album I have ever heard in my life. Absolutely shockingly bad.
My advise: skip it and listen to 1999 by Joey Badass.

You know what I find weird? Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't New Slaves (Or one of the other tracks) moan alot about white people? What I find weird is that white people will buy it and listen with a smile on their face, I just find it odd.

Not all of us. There are a few who can see though the bullshit and see it for what it really is..a blatant rip-off of Saul williams.
It's what megastars do when they lose their hunger and run out of ideas..
..they steal

I lasted 20 minutes into this Kanye product, and then had to turn it off. This man is a shame on great hiphop legends and a disgrace to the genre....Just watch any Jay-Z show, like that one in the garden in NYC, and compare that to real talent like LL Cool J, or Wu Tang. There is an ocean of difference.

lawwwwd

Enter The 36 Chambers been busy I see

effzee

Realtalk Em going to sell more than Jay even with the 1m advance.

Jus know I said Kendrick would go plat when y'all talking about the struggle to gold

Em's last two albums released in the 600-700k range for the first week #s.

No way in hell he tops 1 million unless he drops some sort of greatest song of all time.

Interesting question on how Jay's new album will count sales wise. Most new albums are what in the $10-15 range right? Technically you could sell your album for $1 and sell a million right off the bat. Does that count the same?

Detox

I don't think the stunt has anything to do with money, Jay wants records to his name probably some thing like most preorders or most digital sales in a week. Was probably going to release whatever it is for free, he is looking to get off the livenation deal and he needs something to tour with. He's just lucky corporations are looking to sponsor him. Imagine if someone said Jay is now the face of Samsung and his contract is worth 5m, people would laugh it off. Pretty sure Ross' reebok deal is about the same.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Em's last two albums released in the 600-700k range for the first week #s.

No way in hell he tops 1 million unless he drops some sort of greatest song of all time.

Sales continue after the first week. He'll top a million in under a month, guaranteed.

effzee

Sales continue after the first week. He'll top a million in under a month, guaranteed.

I thought we were talking about first week sales and topping a million like the golden days in the late 90s.

Anyway wtf I thought Timbaland was getting buff like Dre. Maybe this means less gym time and more making good music time.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The funny part about that Kanye thread is that the OP is from KTT. I still maintain that haters are just as bad as fanboys. So much venom spit over nothing.

Also PP just posted in that thread under his alt

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, the beat is legit. But fuck that voice modulation bullshit. It didn't sound evil, tough or cool. It sounded like a broken Speak 'n Spell.

overcast

I thought we were talking about first week sales and topping a million like the golden days in the late 90s.
Yeah, idk that Em can top a mil in the first week. Even JT couldn't sell a million, shameless marketing and all.

Taylor Swift sold like 1.2 right? Who else has reached that recently?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
what are you a narc?
I wasn't snitching...it was a joke. I mean look at this shit:

I don't really listen to his music or pay a lot of attention to his promotions, so I can't say I like him or hate him. I liked the Daft Punk song better than his "version". I also think that the photo of Kanye and Kim blown up into fat people is funny and probably prescient. I'd also like to have sex with his wife and her sisters or her mom. Particularly that crazy ass mom, because you know whatever perverted shit you could ever think of she's done 20 times.

Ebro says Yeezus saved Hip-Hop

ibaUfYga8dt9p0.gif

this cat is a master instigator. now folks gonna be talking about their broke ass program all day.

Ebro is such a hypocrite. I remember some BoB interview he did saying how BoB was pop jumping on pop and electronic sounding songs and how that's not hip hop. BoB defended himself saying he loves all music it's his art blah blah then Ebro said he likes his hip hop gritty like black hoody and timberland music. And to jump off the guitar and electronica shit. But here he is saying hip hop has been rock influenced open your minds we are all programmed by radio play. WTF... I agree with charlamagne tha god if u gotta call a segment "the realness" wtf is the rest of your show?

effzee

Ebro is such a hypocrite. I remember some BoB interview he did saying how BoB was pop jumping on pop and electronic sounding songs and how that's not hip hop. BoB defended himself saying he loves all music it's his art blah blah then Ebro said he likes his hip hop gritty like black hoody and timberland music. And to jump off the guitar and electronica shit. But here he is saying hip hop has been rock influenced open your minds we are all programmed by radio play. WTF... I agree with charlamagne tha god if u gotta call a segment "the realness" wtf is the rest of your show?

Yup. He tried to make it seem like hot97 doesn't play his new records because BoB abandoned rap to do pop music. Apparently hot 97 is the gatekeeper of real hip hop what with all the JT songs they play everyday every hour now. BoB is too pop for them.

Its just BS. He wasn't truthful enough to tell BoB that even most pop stations didn't play his last few records because they just weren't good. Instead he tried to make hot97 look a certain way by saying they don't play pop. No doubt in my mind that if the last BoB album blew up like his first did he would be all over hot97 and 105.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom