• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Red Tooth Raps is like some heydey smooth 90s shit, you know that shit Diggable Planets and Blackalicious was cooking up. It's fire. What a year guys!

thabiz

Thabiz what do you do?

I oversee a IT team that deals with outsourcing for small to medium sized companies.

Basically, if you want to outsource or are looking to outsource, I do that for you.

We come in. take over the IT department, and make assessments for upper management. cost analysis, asset liquidation, stuff like that. We then make a proposal if its cost effective to outsource, and do the transition if that's the decision. You do NOT want to see me at your company's office.

In other cases, for a new upstart company, we are the IT support, until we can hire and transition off the department to a permanent team.

HiResDes

Hold on, are you one of the Bobs?

officespace018.jpg

DominoKid

I believe the problem comes from these "lryical" rappers being so arrogant about not making singles and refusing to work with people who they don't consider lyrical....I mean look at Kendrick, he has done features with trap rappers

agreed

With the success of Kendrick and being MTV's Hottest MC, hopefully this will push labels to sign and push more lyrically rappers with substance.

kendrick is an anomaly really.

thabiz

Thabiz giving dudes the banhammer, I see you. Lol. Firing someone does sound tough.

We dont actually fire anyone. we only recommend it.

its a very high stress job. death threats, protests, it can go very ugly.

I had to fire my own employee today. that sucks. but like i said earlier, this one was easy.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Met some Compton rapper while working with Power 106 out here and I have no idea who he was. Anybody know what "throw them whistles up" is about?

Cudder

Danny Brown announces "Old & Reckless Tour"

danny.jpg

3/15 - Viceland - Austin, TX

3/15 - Mass Appeal @ Austin Music Hall - Austin, TX

3/16 - Fool's Gold Showcase @ Beauty Ballroom - Austin, TX

4/9 - Fitzgeralds - Houston, TX*

4/10 - Tree's - Dallas, TX*

4/11 - Emo's East - Austin, TX*

4/13 - Coachella - Indio, CA*

4/14 - Congress - Tucson, AZ*

4/15 - Club Red - Tempe, AZ*

4/17 - Independent - San Francisco, CA*

4/18 - Casa De La Raza - Santa Barbara, CA*

4/20 - Coachella - Indio, CA*

4/24 - Blind Pig - Ann Arbor, MI**

4/25 - Bottom Lounge - Chicago, IL**
4/26 - Triple Rock - Minneapolis, MN**

4/27 - High Noon - Madison, WI**

4/28 - Gabe's - Iowa City, IA**

4/29 - Old Rock House - St. Louis, MO**

5/1 - Masquerade - Atlanta, GA**

5/2 - Orange Peel - Asheville, NC**

5/3 - Greene Street - Greensboro, NC**

5/4 - Rock & Roll Hotel - Washington, DC**

5/7 - Irving Plaza - New York, NY**

5/8 - TLA - Philadelphia, PA**

5/9 - Middle East - Boston, MA**

5/10 - The Met - Providence, RI**

5/11 - Pearl Street - Northampton, MA**

5/13 - Grog Shop - Cleveland, OH**

5/14 - Deluxe - Indianapolis, IN**

5/16 - Tao - Las Vegas, NV

5/23 - Wow Hall - Eugene, OR

5/24 - Hawthorne - Portland, OR

5/26 - Sasquatch - George, WA

* with Baauer

** with Kitty

Detox

I believe the problem comes from these "lryical" rappers being so arrogant about not making singles and refusing to work with people who they don't consider lyrical....I mean look at Kendrick, he has done features with trap rappers

Kendrick was enlightened by TM101

ThaBiz, man that fizzyology is so good. Between that, czarface, Roc Marcianos catalogue and Tokyo Towers im eating.

Man that Tokyo tape is fire.

The rare times i actually pay attention to some GAF Hop recommendations they pay off big time.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol Kendrick isn't even that lyrical. He's a great writer when it comes to getting a point across. diction is varied and unique, flow is good (now), but structurally and mechanically his lines are still simple. He's no jay or nas in their prime. He's no lupe in his prime. He's not as technical as jay e. he's just a reasonably above average, consistent rapper. Not the next coming of rap Jesus. Sheesh.

Esch

Banned
datpiff exclusive just means im waiting a few minutes for that shit to get tagged and put on another site. no big.

Speaking of Datpiff, whenever I download from that site with my phone. Mixtapes actually show up as if they are tagged properly, but if I moved them to my computer or download directly to my computer it is all fucked lol

HiResDes

Lol Kendrick isn't even that lyrical. He's a great writer when it comes to getting a point across. diction is varied and unique, flow is good (now), but structurally and mechanically his lines are still simple. He's no jay or nas in their prime. He's no lupe in his prime. He's not as technical as jay e. he's just a reasonably above average, consistent rapper. Not the next coming of rap Jesus. Sheesh.

So if you're not as good as Nas or Jay you're just slightly above average, what the fuck are you talking about?...That's the most unreasonable assessment I've ever heard. Kendrick is definitely quite lyrical, and honestly what he does is in a way much more impressive than Lupe. Verbosity and highly convoluted allegories are nice, but the ability to get your point across with a simply yet highly poignant metaphor is the mark of a high poet. Listen to the Heart, Ignorance is Bliss, Cartoon and Cereal, Sing About Me, Heaven or Hell, and even his second verse in the mainstream darling Poetic Justice and there are a bunch of impressive metaphors and multi-syllabic inside rhymes that are simple enough to be accessed from the surface but possess an iceberg mass of depth.

Esch

Banned
So if you're not as good as Nas or Jay you're just slightly above average, what the fuck are you talking about?...That's the most unreasonable assessment I've ever heard. Kendrick is definitely quite lyrical, and honestly what he does is in a way much more impressive than Lupe. Verbosity and highly convoluted allegories are nice, but the ability to get your point across with a simply yet highly poignant metaphor is the mark of a high poet.
thank you lmao. its like 'ohh i mean shit lebron isnt even Michael Jordan status, whats with the hype'

He reminds me of 2pac: his stuff is simple but poetic. He doesn't beat you into submission with rappity rap but gets his point across in a very cerebral, artistic manner. Like that last verse on Poetic Justice; it's not some super rap verse but it's brilliant. Or consider the Rosa Parks lines in Keisha's Song. To me stuff like that goes beyond clever similes (Biggie, Jay) into a more powerful level of written imagery. Like some of Nas' stuff like the last verse on One Love.

HiResDes

Quiet as kept PD is usually spot-on with this rap impressions, now the other stuff I can't always cosign...But much love anyway

The focus on rappity rap is what made a lot mid and late 2000s underground shit weak in hindsight, compared to today's underground. Rap isn't just about being technical and proving you can flow better than someone on the radio. I'm so glad that Slaughterhouse mentality is virtually dead today. Kendrick paints a vivid picture with whatever tools he uses, whether its rapid fire spitting or simpler lines. I'd say the same about Danny Brown's best work like Guitar Solo or the last tracks on XXX. He is far from super lyrical but paints a picture of poverty and pain that I can see far clearer than clever/semi clever similes.

I'm very glad Kendrick has received so much praise and success. And to go back to an earlier topic, I think execs are already looking for similar rappers. Everyone wants their own Drake: an emotional rapper who can appeal to women with hits and self reflection. Kendrick, Cole, Krit, etc all are in that mode to varying degrees of success. Just as Cudi, Lupe, and others were in the Kanye mold that labels were looking for a decade ago.

Right now I see a battle between more inteospective mainstream shit and trap. Trap is like an evolution of ringtone rap and is dominating the streets, but it isn't dominating record sales or long term growth; Drake, Kendrick, and Cole have far outsold Ross/Flocka/Meek/etc so far, with 2Chainz being an exception because he's simply better and more clever than his peers. Likewise Drake and company are building loyal fan bases whereas Meek and company will face severe diminishing returns once the next big thing arrives.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hit-Boy ft. Audio Push - Them N***as video. Damn, Hit-Boy is really about to drop a smoking hot compilation huh? These songs are ill, and the rapping isn't really offensive either. I also fuck with this video.

The focus on rappity rap is what made a lot mid and late 2000s underground shit weak in hindsight, compared to today's underground. Rap isn't just about being technical and proving you can flow better than someone on the radio. I'm so glad that Slaughterhouse mentality is virtually dead today. Kendrick paints a vivid picture with whatever tools he uses, whether its rapid fire spitting or simpler lines. I'd say the same about Danny Brown's best work like Guitar Solo or the last tracks on XXX. He is far from super lyrical but paints a picture of poverty and pain that I can see far clearer than clever/semi clever similes.

I'm very glad Kendrick has received so much praise and success. And to go back to an earlier topic, I think execs are already looking for similar rappers. Everyone wants their own Drake: an emotional rapper who can appeal to women with hits and self reflection. Kendrick, Cole, Krit, etc all are in that mode to varying degrees of success. Just as Cudi, Lupe, and others were in the Kanye mold that labels were looking for a decade ago.

Right now I see a battle between more inteospective mainstream shit and trap. Trap is like an evolution of ringtone rap and is dominating the streets, but it isn't dominating record sales or long term growth; Drake, Kendrick, and Cole have far outsold Ross/Flocka/Meek/etc so far, with 2Chainz being an exception because he's simply better and more clever than his peers. Likewise Drake and company are building loyal fan bases whereas Meek and company will face severe diminishing returns once the next big thing arrives.
This is a pretty good post. I agree wholeheartedly.

EDIT: Artwork for the compilation:

AIEDO-450x448.jpg

Esch

Banned
Super spot on PD. im also gonna say that its funny as hell to see old rap fans who were emotionally invested in naughties rappity rap. always complaining about the lack of polysyllable rhyme schemes and shit. cant stand battle rappers, rappity rap and battle rap fans. shit is truly the corniest element of hip hop apart from swag rap and horrorcore.

Alright I hate to do this GAF-Hop but I'm trying to catch up with yall Ninjas and seriously this thread moves way too fast. Give me some quick links to some things I NEED to listen to and I promise I'll get to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom