• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thabiz

i am shocked this hasnt been posted yet. considering whos on it. Gaf-Hop is slippin.

cover.jpg

kamspy

recalibrate your gear?

TV is cal'd.

Pretty sure seeing it in Sony 4k in the theaters spoiled me.

It's also a movie that really benefits from a big screen.

Whenever I watch 2001 Space Oddy I pull back the coffee table and sit right in front of the TV. Same thing.

Either way, the Dredd BD blows. Bummer. One of my top 5 movies from last year.

Which MCs from the last 5-10 years would you say are generally best regarded by hip-hop fans? Like, is there anything close to consensus...?

Right, Kendrick Lamar is one I have checked out, he's good! In general I'm a big fan of rap from the 80s and 90s but haven't really followed the scene much for the past 10 years.

I realize most rappers nowadays are polarizing (I can't really vibe with Kanye for instance, but lots of hip-hop fans love him) so let's say... who would you say are the 5-10 rappers worth forming an opinion of, whether they're universally acclaimed or not? Here are the ones on my list so far that I'm going to spend some time with:

Drake
Rick Ross
Lil B
Odd Future collective (Earl and Tyler The Creator seem to be the most interesting?)
A$ap Rocky
Danny Brown
Das Racist

Which MCs from the last 5-10 years would you say are generally best regarded by hip-hop fans? Like, is there anything close to consensus...?

Big KRIT and Kendrick are probably the most revered by the broadest spectrum of fans.

5-10 rappers worth forming an opinion of

The two mentioned above, as well as those listed below. This is largely based on my personal preferences, it probably won't align with much of gaf-hop. Worth a listen to decide for yourself regardless.

Captain Murphy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4amEWUw6t4

Aesop Rock
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=478qwzcJtlM

Joey Bada$$$
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4xYGFc9Yw4

ASAP Rocky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofoIMg76Sng

Flatbush Zombies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do9VLONS86Y

They all have pretty different styles, so if you update me with who you like/don't like I can give more suggestions similar to those artists.

Right, Kendrick Lamar is one I have checked out, he's good! In general I'm a big fan of rap from the 80s and 90s but haven't really followed the scene much for the past 10 years.

I realize most rappers nowadays are polarizing (I can't really vibe with Kanye for instance, but lots of hip-hop fans love him) so let's say... who would you say are the 5-10 rappers worth forming an opinion of, whether they're universally acclaimed or not? Here are the ones on my list so far that I'm going to spend some time with:

Drake
Rick Ross
Lil B
Odd Future collective (particularly Earl and Tyler The Creator)
Danny Brown
Danny Brown
Danny Brown
Danny Brown
Danny Brown

PBY

Banned

Drake
Rick Ross
Lil B
Odd Future collective (particularly Earl and Tyler The Creator)
A$ap Rocky

Danny Brown
Schoolboy Q
Maaaaaaybe J Cole

Trey

Kendrick, no doubt about it at all. There were some promising dudes in the last decade or so but they all flamed out one way or another.

As an aside, listening to Lauryn Hill makes my day better. Probably my go to artist when I'm feeling some kind of way.

//B1G

Banned
Dopplegangaz is sick lyrically but I feel like they're jamming so many syllables in their lines it's losing an actual flow to be melodic in any way. Beats are on point though, all around solid release.

Drake
Rick Ross
Lil B
Odd Future collective (Earl and Tyler The Creator seem to be the most interesting?)
A$ap Rocky
Danny Brown
Das Racist
Judging by gaf hop discussion, you should probably have an opinion on
Blu
MF DOOM
Kendrick Lamar
Big K.R.I.T.
Jay Electronica
Gucci Mane
Young Jeezy
Kid Cudi
E-40
uhhh 2Chainz?
or you can just stay stuck in the 90's like some members. That's more than enough out there...
plus those in your list of course

I'm really in the mood for some dark, space out, hip-hop. Something to listen to late at night while smoking a blunt on the balcony. Something similar to that new Ethelwulf, or some of A$AP's shit. Doesn't even really have to be hip-hop, just some dark shit.

PBY

Banned
I'm really in the mood for some dark, space out, hip-hop. Something to listen to late at night while smoking a blunt on the balcony. Something similar to that new Ethelwulf, or some of A$AP's shit. Doesn't even really have to be hip-hop, just some dark shit.

Shabazz Palaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom