• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

That track ain't getting him any club play. Beginning to think dude doesn't have it in him to make something hot. Shit even Kendrick could do it.

That track ain't getting him any club play. Beginning to think dude doesn't have it in him to make something hot. Shit even J Cole did.

Fixed. Cole seems like a better comparison since he's a rapper producer too. I'm still surprised Work Out was such a hit, that shit sounded so off to me sonically in terms of what the mainstream likes/liked. Unless Krit starts working with some songwriters he'll never make it IMO. He has dope beats with no hooks - that basically describes most of his music. There's nothing for a mainstream audience to latch on to.

Speaking of Cole, grats to him for basically wasting Power Trip. That shit should have a video out by now. When I first heard it I immediately thought "ok this needs bass but overall should be a hit." Well last I checked it's like #70 on the Billboard 100 after four weeks which isn't horrible for a rap song, but still...he needs a video ASAP. Dunno wtf him and his label are thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised if he threw the track out before the label was ready though...

DominoKid

Fixed. Cole seems like a better comparison since he's a rapper producer too. I'm still surprised Work Out was such a hit, that shit sounded so off to me sonically in terms of what the mainstream likes/liked. Unless Krit starts working with some songwriters he'll never make it IMO. He has dope beats with no hooks - that basically describes most of his music. There's nothing for a mainstream audience to latch on to.

Speaking of Cole, grats to him for basically wasting Power Trip. That shit should have a video out by now. When I first heard it I immediately thought "ok this needs bass but overall should be a hit." Well last I checked it's like #70 on the Billboard 100 after four weeks which isn't horrible for a rap song, but still...he needs a video ASAP. Dunno wtf him and his label are thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised if he threw the track out before the label was ready though...

yeah that's the jist of it. i pulled kendrick as a comparison because he tries to balance content & fun and actually got over w/ it. but cole works too.

i never saw that Power Trip track blowing up tho. shit sounds too sad. it sounds like staring out the window on a rainy day.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

It's not too late for a Power Trip video. It would've been dumber for him to confound the release of the Power Trip video with Started From The Bottom. His label is smart to let that shit breathe a bit. It will pick up again.

It's not too late for a Power Trip video. It would've been dumber for him to confound the release of the Power Trip video with Started From The Bottom. His label is smart to let that shit breathe a bit. It will pick up again.

The songs are going to be compared inevitably since they basically came out at the same time, what better way to handle it than a straight up competition. Drake was always going to win because he's Drake, but Cole could have released a dope video for the ladies a week after Started From The Bottom's video came out.

I honestly believe he threw it out early, unfinished, and unprepared because of Drake.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Good news: CuDi says he's gonna announce the tracklist and cover for Indicud on April 2nd.

Bad news: King Chip says he's on the album "multiple times."

Questlove dropping that ether on Toku
i admire the balls it took to make this record. cause he coulda easily urshurd his work in and made diplo his teddy riley to 20/20's dangerous instead of sticking with timb's Quincy.

feel me?

i like throwback Timb. (he played me songs out of order and off both records so i don't know what made the final cut) so i was shocked he wasn't 4 on the flooring it like the timb of 2005 was doing. like these joints were straight up missy/magoo timb and justin said he wanted timb to "get back in his real zone" even if it meant alienating the tweens born after 86 who never ever heard of the sly slick and wicked

i mean suit and tie is the MOST UNLIKELY james brown production reference

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cMaw3MXmKo

but of course unless you got a master degree in soul-ology this won't mean shit to you.

and i told him my assistant zarah (born in 88) was frowning like "i don't like this song"

and is he cool with the fact that only 35 year old people who love their soul in 95 bpm zone will "get" this song.

and he was like "why do we put all of our power in the hands of 18 year olds....i wanted to make a joint that 40 year olds would love too"

and by the time the video came out all the 86 after sect were aboard again.

(i agree the only thing i don't like about suit and tie is jay's beat switch up.....its cute....but its a pander move---if you gonna go 40.....go 40/40 with it"

anywho....i love the songs, but was worried on how he will cut the prime rib to feed to toothless babies.
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php...c_id=11868379&mesg_id=11868379&page=#11868537
9sno43a

take that take that

I'm not even much of a fan of the album either. It's definitely got some nice tracks tho and Suit & Tie isn't bad. I knew that shit was a hit when my mom said she liked it

This HS87 tape has some nice beats on it.

I always hate to say this but...I wish better rappers were on most of them lol.

Still pretty good tho

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You should know by now that Chip is one of those rappers that would leave an excellent guest verse but on his own is bland. Dude left awesome guest verses on Cudder's albums...
He was the lowest point of the entirety of MotM1.

I actually don't mind dude, but I can't stand more than a verse for him, so multiple ones across an album = pass. Just make your side album they've been BSing about WZRD style and get it out of the way.

Tokubetsu

Questlove dropping that ether on Toku

http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php...c_id=11868379&mesg_id=11868379&page=#11868537
9sno43a

take that take that

I'm not even much of a fan of the album either. It's definitely got some nice tracks tho and Suit & Tie isn't bad. I knew that shit was a hit when my mom said she liked it

What ether? I already said I like a couple tracks on here. My main gripe is that most of them last way too god damn long and most of them are forced. If you really think Pusher Love Girl or Mirrors or Strawberry Gum needs to be eight minutes long you a dickrider (Which we already know you are soooo).

I actually don't mind dude, but I can't stand more than a verse for him, so multiple ones across an album = pass. Just make your side album they've been BSing about WZRD style and get it out of the way.

He has the best rap verse on MotM1.

Tokubetsu

Also love how he drops the BPM shit thing like thats what people are complaining about and then links to a release with songs that are both under four minutes long.

Side note: Most of the NYC rap tracks people love from 1990s were in the 80-100 bpm range (That dudes like Joey are trying to bring back)

........WHAT

Other than that, I feel the same way. I copped his most recent mixtape and could only probably vibe to like four/five out of twenty-two tracks.

What ether? I already said I like a couple tracks on here. My main gripe is that most of them last way too god damn long and most of them are forced. If you really think Pusher Love Girl or Mirrors or Strawberry Gum needs to be eight minutes long you a dickrider (Which we already know you are soooo).

I agree they shouldn't be as long. I'm talking about Suit & Tie tho breh. I told everyone that shit sounded like Off The Wall Jackson the minute it was released.

R3TRODYCE

Oh man, Indicud is going to be my cd!

But in other music shiz, the track Tennessee Love by Yelawolf is pretty good...To me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom