• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every Busta Rhymes verse sounds like a to-do list. "First I gotta then I gotta then I come and then I gotta" repeat.

Syllables, bruh. Just throw a buncha syllables out there and people think you're ripping a track up.

A BADA BOOM A BADA BING AND THEN I BATTA BATTA BATTA BATTA

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've tried making a ton of beats over the years in FL Studio and have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I have no conception of melody or how to use different sounds without it sounding sterile or like hip-hop beat #1394.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I've tried making a ton of beats over the years in FL Studio and have pretty much come to terms with the fact that I have no conception of melody or how to use different sounds without it sounding sterile or like hip-hop beat #1394.
Guess it helps that I am a loop/blending DJ because that's all FL is

Also I learned the drum patterns are important but most have been done
It's the hats and stuff that really change a track

I was so excited to use FL Studio too, then opened it and messed around

I%20have%20no%20idea.jpg

CRS

Pretty underwhelmed by Dessa's new album. It's okay but it leaned way too much towards her singer-songwriter side. It's not necessarily a bad thing (she's a more than competent singer) and it might have been what she was probably going for but I wasn't expecting that. I really wanted tracks like Warsaw; her just spitting fire and singing the chorus or bridge. Production is good and well arranged but it didn't grab be instantly like her previous album. Will re-listen a couple of times and hope it catches on.

HiResDes

I must openly admit right now that I've always thought her rapping ability never stood up to her songwriting ability. I've never listened to a Dessa song and thought to myself oh shit she's spitting hot fire.

Tokubetsu

Pretty underwhelmed by Dessa's new album. It's okay but it leaned way too much towards her singer-songwriter side. It's not necessarily a bad thing (she's a more than competent singer) and it might have been what she was probably going for but I wasn't expecting that. I really wanted tracks like Warsaw; her just spitting fire and singing the chorus or bridge. Production is good and well arranged but it didn't grab be instantly like her previous album. Will re-listen a couple of times and hope it catches on.

I didn't care for the song that leaked, haven't check out retail album yet though.

coldvein

Banned

ill be honest i havent listened to parts of speech too much yet. just a couple times. it's quality, but it feels a little more restrained than the last album somehow. i like it quite a bit, just not as much as her previous work. it might grow on me, who knows. that said, i saw her live night before last and that shit was amazing, and a little more than half of it was the new material. watching that lady doing her thing on stage is simultaneously awe inspiring, moving, and frightening. sometimes she throws looks out in the crowd and her eyes are just spewing black fire. shit is intense. also she is hot as fuck and very fit. i may have posted this the other night after the show but i was pretty drunk, dont remember. if so i am deeply sorry

CRS

Am I giving her too much credit when I say she can spit fire? I think Warsaw and Dixon's Girl are examples of her rapping ability.

I love her ability to go from rapping verses to singing the hook or throwing a little melody in the middle of a verse. Thinking about it now, it's my love for Bone Thugs that makes me like Dessa a lot since she has the same skill set and does it with just as much ease as them. I feel like there was no balance on Parts of Speech like there was on A Badly Broken Code which I still hold in high regard. I'll go back to Parts of Speech and knowing what it is, I'll probably be able to appreciate it a lot more. The album still has that passion of hers and I would love to see that live.

Warsaw is a contender for song of the year for me. Gets me hyped every time.

iavi

Yeah, I didn't really feel it at all. I don't even think that it's because she leaned more towards being a singer-songwriter, as stuff like The Beekeeper is some of her most singer-songwriterish stuff she's ever done, and that may be my favorite track from her ever. To me, it just felt messy--like she had no clue in which direction she wanted to take the album

IrishNinja

Jeru always has dap for me for some good albums and for being on one of the 5 best hiphop songs ever

+1
East NY style stick em, ha ha haaa stick em

Bout to get into it tomorrow morning. Hearing good things about it.

this is me too, might save it for wednesday tho

all quiet on the western front is 2000 times better than pacific rim cmon

its a little heavy handed in 2013, and black & white? for real? psh how pretentious

SadAli

Neo Member
Shout out to him stealing The W with one song on the strength of his spot on 'I Can't Go to Sleep'. Shit brings tears man. Dude easily evokes the most emotion out of me of any rapper.

Yes! That album was such a downer when I got it home and played it through only to suddenly be woken from my slumbering misery by his verse on there. Almost redeemed the entire project. Looking back at Wu-Tang Forever now it makes total sense that they stuck him last up on so many tracks - the man was on absolute fire at the time.

No argument about Supreme Clientele being his best album though Bulletproof Wallets was sabotaged with the sampling issues that prevented both The Sun and The Watch from being included.

"You almost drowned in pops"

The Watch

HiiiLife

I'm willing to bet we've discussed it already, but what's your guys favorite album artwork? When I watched the interview with Kendrick discussing the meaning behind the picture on Section.80, it made me appreciate the album even more.

HiiiLife

Yup Liquid Swords is mad dope. I don't understand how rappers can choose some of the lamest covers for their albums. Lol. Sure it may not seem like a big deal to some, but I feel the artwork really helps capture what the listener will be in for. The MMLP cover with Em sitting in the corner is another one of my favorites too.

codhand

Yup Liquid Swords is mad dope. I don't understand how rappers can choose some of the lamest covers for their albums. Lol. Sure it may not seem like a big deal to some, but I feel the artwork really helps capture what the listener will be in for. The MMLP cover with Em sitting in the corner is another one of my favorites too.

all balls dont bounce, i like the cover a lot, not goat, but it sprang to mind

246.jpg

and worst cover?

soundpieces.jpg

OG Kush

I'm willing to bet we've discussed it already, but what's your guys favorite album artwork? When I watched the interview with Kendrick discussing the meaning behind the picture on Section.80, it made me appreciate the album even more.

got a link to this intereview?

IrishNinja

i wonder if nas will return timbo's calls when he's got a string of nobodies on deck most times, sadly

also that loot pack is a mess but i cant hate on cheesy comic covers, its like acting like big bear ain't doin thangs

codhand

"Love Timbo & Nas, but Nas and Timbo don't sound good together. Nas monotone doesn't sound good over bouncy production. Nas needs something sinister, gritty & soulful. Just think about how terrible the BBC record is on the new Jay album. Nas sounds awful on that record"

wow pp posting on youtube now? lol

nas looks like he got caught making out with mr met

SadAli

Neo Member
While not big on nostalgia I do miss the mid to late nineties trend of graf artist covers on albums. Stuff like Stress: The Extinction Era, BDP's Sex & Violence and even Funcrusher Plus. Sadly I suspect I would be the first to hate on it if it came up again now unless there was a twist on it like 6 Kiss.

OG Kush

He speaks about it after the 25 minute mark but I thought the whole vid was interesting. Fairly old video too, don't know how I've never seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6UKzbXIEA&sns=tw
thanks for that

22 years ago today the GOAT kidnapped the presidents daughter since then he has blessed us countless times.

Timbo working with Nas. Might even be an album.
Damn the beat in this clip is mad. Anyone know if its a beat from an already released track?

Esch

Banned
Timbo "hey nas I have some beats you might want t-"

Nas "sall good bro I got like 16 salaam remi heaters. Appreciate it though"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom